The United Confederate Veterans Association was established in 1889 as a benevolent, historical, social and literary association. It was active from 1889 to the mid 1940’s. It’s mission was to “unite in a general federation all associations of Confederate Veterans, soldiers and sailors, now in existence or hereafter to be formed; to gather authentic data for an impartial history of the War between the States; to preserve relics or mementos of the same; to cherish the ties of friendship that should exist among men who have shared common dangers, common sufferings and privations; to care for the disabled and extend a helping hand to the needy; to protect the widows and orphans and to make and preserve a record of the services of every member and as far as possible of those of our comrades who have preceded us in eternity.”
Leon Jastremski, a member of the Association of the Army of Northern Virginia (AANVA), Louisiana Division, claimed to have suggested to E.D. Wilett, President of that association, the idea that led to the organization of the United Confederated Veterans Association (UCV). Planning began with conversations among E.D. Wilett, Fred S. Washington and Fred Ober and other members of the AANVA. They were joined by J.A. Chalaron and D.E. Given of the Association of the Army of Tennessee (AAT), and in February 1889, AANVA joined with the AAT and Confederate States’ Cavalry in formally endorsing a plan for a general meeting of Confederate Veterans. More than 500 of the 1,885 UCV local camps previously existed independently or as members of other societies. The total membership in the UCV may have approached 160,000 or 25 percent of the southern soldiers who survived the Civil War.
A group of Confederate Veterans from Colusa gathered together and organized Camp Pap Price, Post #1360, named after Confederate General Sterling Price. The post was organized on August 6, 1901 and Major John B. Moore was elected as the first Post Commander. They met at the Odd Fellows Building, 141 – 5th Street. The last Confederate Veteran to pass away was Captain John Lowery Jackson, Company A, 1st Battery, Missouri State Guard, on May 11, 1940, thus closing out the UCV in Colusa County.
John Brown Moore – Post Commander
Michael R. Blevins – Senior Vice – Commander
William M. Craig – Junior Vice – Commander
William T. Beville – Adjutant
John T. Harrington – Quartermaster
Dr. William Henry Belton – Surgeon
John L. Jackson – Chaplain
Luthor Hoy – Officer of the Day
Colusa Confederate Veterans receiving the Southern Cross of Honor from the Albert Sidney Johnston Chapter, Daughters of the Confederacy, San Francisco, California on November 3, 1901.
“The Fine Print”
Copyright © 1996- by The CAGenWeb Administrative Team. All materials, images, sounds and data contained herein are not to be copied or downloaded for purposes of duplication, distribution, or publishing without the express written permission of The CAGenWeb Administrative Team.
This web page is maintained on behalf of the California portion of The USGenWeb Project and is paid for by supporters. Although believed to be correct as presented, if you have corrections, changes, additions, or find that any links provided on this page are not functioning properly, please contact the webmaster for prompt attention to the matter.