The History of El Dorado County, California by P. Sioli, pages 180-181
First called Marshall, as Coloma was called Sutter's mill, below Coloma, once a mining community of some note. There were not less than one thousand men engaged here in mining, partially on the South Fork of the American river, partially on the neighboring Granite and Shingle creeks, supporting ten or twelve large boarding houses, and a number of stores. The first store was opened by Inglesby & Merrill. Benjamin Smith also kept a store, and the first impression was to call the town in honor of him, but this was changed and the name Uniontown selected. Another store was kept by Franklin Prague, who also built the first Uniontown bridge. A saw mill, the second one in El Dorado county was erected on what was then known as saw-mill slough, by Athens & Vance. Dr. Doolin kept a drug store besides his practice as a physician. The first family in town was that of Mr. Olmstead, from Oregon; Wm. Cromwell, Jno. Thompson, Robert Wood and others followed. Law & Stevens kept the first bakery, and furnished the very smallest loaves of bread in the winter of 1850, when flour was worth $50 per 100 lbs., and a pound freight was charged 16 cents from Mormon Island to Coloma. H. K. Stowe, was one of the first settlers, and Herrick Jacobs was probably the first blacksmith in town. In 1853, Mr. A. Lohry opened a general store here and a few years after erected the brick store still occupied as such. A Post office was established here January 6th, 1881, with the present store keeper Mr. Gallaner, as Post Master, the Post office is called Lotus on suggestion of Mr. Lohry. Besides this store and some residences, the town comprises a hotel and a blacksmith shop.
The first grain in this vicinity was raised by Rev. Cummings, on Granite creek, the first fruit was raised on the Cromwell family, on a lot where the blacksmith shop now stands. Mr. Haggert was first engaged in general fruit growing.