Note: Use CTRL-F to Search
Isaac N. Parlier
Isaac N. Parlier was born in
In the year 1874 Mr. Parlier came to
He was married in October 1863, to
Miss Laird, a native of
Mr. Parlier belongs to that small band of pioneers in this section who located their homes originally in an absolutely barren and desolate region. At that time one could ride twenty miles without being able to find a switch to use on his horse. This seems well nigh incredible as one views the splendid farming lands and rich foliage of this locality at the present day. Page 588
J. E. Ryan, one of the successful
real-estate men of
In 1876, he moved to
Mr. Ryan was engaged in various
enterprises since his settlement in
The beautiful South Fork valley,
Mr. Smith was born in
Mr. Smith was married
F. T. Hilton
F. T. Hilton, proprietor of the
California Carriage Shop, N. Street,
F. T. Hilton was educated at
In 1889 our subject came to
Mr. Hilton was married at
Mr. Hilton is a member and Master Workman of Yosemite Lodge, No. 171, A. O. U. W. Page 357
G. L. Long
Dr. G. L. Long, the most prominent
homeopathic physician of
Dr. Long received his education in
He is a member of Merced Lodge, No.
208, Page 357
Seth Brooks Hunt
Seth Brooks Hunt has been a resident
Mr. Hunt is a native of
In 1868 he married Miss Mattie
Jones, a native of
Mr. Hunt is a worthy member of the
A. O. U. W., and has been connected with the Presbyterian Church ever since its
organization in Page 356
Samuel H. Ross
Samuel H. Ross has been identified
with the interests of
Mr. Ross was born in Missouri,
February 29, 1836, son of Guy and Rhoda (Meadows) Ross, the former of Scotch
descent and a native of Kentucky, and the latter a native of Indiana. He was
Mr. Ross was married, in 1861, to
Miss Phebe Murphy, a native of Indiana, by whom he
had two children. One died in infancy, and the other, Charles H., is a printer
Politically Mr. Ross is a Democrat.
He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and the Page 535
Joseph W. Sumner
This venerable pioneer may
appropriately be styled the patriarch of
He was born at
In 1843 he was married, at Page 534
Arthur Crowley, senior member of the
firm of Crowley Bros.,
Arthur was ten years old when his
mother died: the family removed to
Mr. Crowley was married
John M. Hensley
John M. Hensley, Sheriff of Fresno
County, was born in
John M. was educated in the public
Mr. Hensley was married at
Walter Drane Grady
It is seldom that the biographer has such material afforded him for his work as is clearly shown in the brief sketch, which follows:
There are many men in California,
who, in boyhood days, have been thrown upon their own resources without means
or family prestige, but who, through persistence, energy, nerve and pluck, have
later in life risen to positions of eminence among their fellow citizens. We repeat
there are many such men: compared however, with tile number
who fail absolutely or who reach only a mediocre position in their
respective communities, the list is an infinitesimally small one. It is our
pleasure to record in a conspicuous place on this list tile name of Walter Drane Grady. Thrown upon his own resources at the age of
ten years, an orphan without means, we find him to-day, but little more than a
score of years later, one of the prominent citizens of
Grady, Esq., was born in
The celebrated Magnolia vineyard is
situated eight miles west of
During his early career, our subject was a conspicuous figure in politics. There have been few Democratic conventions held in this State, in which he has not been a delegate or an active participant. In 1880 he was elected District Attorney of Fresno County, and held the office three years. He has always given his party most vigorous support, and until the last few years, when he has dropped out of politics, he has been looked upon as one of the strong pillars of the party.
In 1883 he built the Grady Opera
House, the first theater ever erected in
He has been twice married. His first
wife, nee Clara Williams, a native of
The family home is a substantial
one, with attractive surroundings, located in the heart of Page 449
At the age of fifty, when most men
begin to wear a discouraged look, especially if the battle of life, is against them, the subject of this sketch arrived in
After serving for three years as
commissary of State's prison, he bought a seat in the Produce Exchange for
$1,000, but, not having the means to carry on the business, he sold it and came
Although in debt and with less than
$50 of borrowed money, with opportunities lying all about him for quick turns
in real estate, be decided on a bold venture: bonded a ranch for a large
amount, went to San Francisco, told his story, and found a partner to put up
the money. For his half of the amount ten per cent. interest was charged. He returned to
He was married in 1857 to Mary E. Torrey, a native of Page 609
William Helm was born at Durham,
Canada, a small town on the Chadigee 10, River, which
flows into the St. Lawrence, about forty miles from Montreal, March 9. 1836.
His parents were George and Mary (Oliver) Helm, both natives of
Attaining his majority in 1859, the
subject of this sketch started out for himself, "Westward, Ho " being his motto. He engaged passage by water for
To illustrate the rapid growth which
has taken place in
Personally Mr. Helm is a man of
extreme modesty and simple habits. His genial disposition combined with his
sound judgment commands for him the respect of the entire community, and he is
a citizen that
Mr. Helm chose for his life
companion Miss Fannie S. Newman, a lady of English ancestry. Their union has
been blessed with seven children, all living, viz.:
George, who has charge of his father's sheep ranch; Frank, engaged in banking business;
Jesse, now Mrs. Cox of Page 606
Francis S. Fugitt
Francis S. Fugitt
is a member of one of the pioneer families of
W. F. Hanke
W. F. Hanke,
a member of the Board of Supervisors of the
In early life Mr. Hanke was a close observer of cattle, and evinced good
judgment in their purchase. At the age of ten years he was the owner of
thirty-five cattle that he acquired through his own speculation. When he was
eighteen he traveled trough
is a stockholder in the Sanger Bank. In June, 1890, he was elected a member of
the Board of Supervisors from the fifth district. He is much interested in the
growth and development of the County, and is a most worthy citizen, highly
respected by all who know him. Page 645
Rev. Obed D. Dooley
D. Dooley may justly lay claim to the title of the pioneer preacher of
Thomas Yost, a prominent business
At the breaking out of the civil war
in 1861, Mr. Yost was living with his father at
At the memorable battle of
Chickamauga -- when the enemy were trying to obtain a position by which they
could hold the Chattanooga and La Fayette road, the only one in possession of
the Union forces by which McCook's supply train could
pass to the rear, the Twenty first Illinois was ordered into action, advancing
in the face of a murderous infantry fire and soon gaining position in fair
range of the enemy. At this time Yost saw that further advance by the regiment
was impossible, and in a hand-to-hand conflict, in which it was hard to
distinguish friend from foe, he received a wound which broke both arms, and
from the loss of blood he became unconscious of the awful conflict raging
around him. When he revived, it was to find himself in the hands of the enemy,
who moved him to a temporary hospital close by. One of the Rebel surgeons told
him his chances for life were very small. "Well," said Yost, "If
I die, I have done my duty." After lying for twenty one days in an open
field near a farm house, he was moved to Libby prison, and was subsequently
taken to City Point, where he was exchanged and sent to
In 1865, with one arm still in a
sling, Mr. Yost secured a position as clerk at
In 1869 Mr. Yost was married to Miss
Emma Thomas of Homer,
In 1887 Mr. Yost came to
Mr. Yost is still a sufferer from his wounds. He is an enthusiastic G. A. R. man, attending all the meetings and doing his share of the work of keeping up the local organization.
His son, Howard L., on the twenty
first anniversary of his birthday, May 26, 1891, received a surprise present in
the form of a partnership in his father's business, and both father and son
were highly congratulated by the press of the city and friends generally, as young
Howard is universally regarded as worthy of such a promotion. The occasion was
appropriated celebrated at their residence. Page 589
Among the early pioneers of
He was born in
He settled on the
In 1859 he sold his interest in the
stock and purchased a sawmill on the
was married in 1870 to Miss Caroline Green. Owing to incompatibility, however,
they separated, and since retiring from business he has passed his winters at
the Grand Central Hotel at Page 426
Hiram Kelsey was born in
In 1852 the subject of our sketch
Mr. Kelsey made money both in the
mines and at his business, and after three years spent in
In 1873 Mr. Kelsey returned to Page 724
E. R. Higgins
E. R. Higgins, the well-known
Mr. Higgins is actively identified
with the fire department of
He was married in 1876, to Miss
Williams, a native of page 362
Orient C. Higgins, M. D.
O. C. Higgins, M. D., is one of the
oldest practicing physicians of Page 754.
Jacob V. Huffaker
Jacob V. Huffaker,
a liveryman of
After arriving in
In 1871 he married Palestine
Downing, a native of Page 631
Wheaton Andrew Gray, Superior Judge
Judge Gray was educated at
The Judge was married in 1882, to
Miss Marietta Rice, a native of
Andrew Wheaton Gray, a
Mr. Gray then sold his claim and
settled near the town. With the gold excitement of 1850 he left his family at
Mr. Gray was married in Wayne
County, Pa., ages 391-392
Thomas Waller, a prosperous farmer
of Page 391
Ruben P. Gray
R. P. Gray, rancher, east of
Lemoore, is a native of Wayne County, Pennsylvania, born in 1840. His father,
A. W. Gray, (whose biography elsewhere appears,) was by occupation a farmer. In
1847 they moved to
Upon return to
Mr. Gray was married at Page 776
Harvey P. Gray
Harvey P. [Harry] Gray is one of the
pioneer farmers of the mussel
In 1875 they put in 320 acres of
alfalfa which was the first large field in
Mr. Gray has always been a
Republican in politics and in the early days of partisan strife and feeling,
was decided, outspoken and very active, but in later life he has retired from
politics in the attention to his manifold duties. He has farmed with his head
as well as his hands, and always being in the advance line in improvement and
development, has foreseen the times and been generously rewarded thereby.
Henry Hackett was born in
In 1832 Mr. Hackett was married, in
Mr. Hackett settled at Mud Spring,
To Mr. and Mrs. Hackett eleven
children were born, seven of whom are living,
scattered in different parts of the country. George Henry lives with his father
and takes charge of the ranch. Mr. Hackett joined the Masonic order in Wayne
County, Michigan, in 1860. He is a prominent Royal Arch Mason, and a member of
the Masonic Veteran Association of the
Such is an epitome of the life of
one of Page 621
William B. Cullom
W. B. Cullom,
the present Justice of the Peace of the town of
He entered at once into the practice
of law at Lebannon, and remained there three years,
afterwards moving to
His career in
The superior climate here has proved
beneficial to him, and his general condition is greatly improved. Since his
The Judge was married October 13,
1857, directly after his graduation from the Lebanon Law School in Tennessee,
to Miss Pyron, a native of Tennessee, by whom he has
had seven children, six of whom are now living: Ella, now Mrs. Paine, residing
near Selma, William, Maud, now Mrs. Biddle, residing near Selma, Blanche, now
Mrs. Dr. Brown of Selma, Myrtie, Mattie and Buela. Page 702
J. A. Davidson
J. A. Davidson, M. D., is the oldest
resident physician of
He was born in the
In 1858 Dr. Davidson went to Vera
Dr. Davidson came to
Dr. Davidson was married, at
more than nine years the Doctor has been Health Office of Hanford. Although
this is a position of little honor or remuneration it is one of great
responsibility, as on its proper management is dependent the health of the
entire community. Page 608
Thomas J. McQuiddy
Thomas J. McQuiddy
is a pioneer settler of the Mussel Slough District,
He was born in
In 1847 he was married to Miss Jane
M. Ruth, a native of
In 1863 Mrs. McQuiddy
and her children returned to
The Major began setting out fruit trees in 1875, and is the pioneer orange grower of this section. Realizing the value of alfalfa for feed, he early began to raise it and to engage in the stock business, with which he has been prominently identified. His ranch now comprises 380 acres, 240 of which he has in alfalfa. Forty-five acres are in vines, and he also has a small family orchard. He keeps about 100 head of horses, mules, and cattle.
Until October, 1889, Major McQuiddy lived on his ranch. At that time he bought
property on Page 719
James Sutherland is a native of
In 1855 Mr. Sutherland returned to the States and picked up sixty fine horses and about 350 head of American cattle. These he drove across the plains, and with slight loss landed them at his ranch. In the fall of 1855 he gathered his stock and drove south through the San Joaquin valley and settled on the lower King's River, in what was then called the swamp land--very few settlers at that time in the locality -- and the valley filled with wild horses, cattle, antelope and elk. Grazing was then free through the valley, but Mr. Sutherland wisely took up land and later, until he secured 14,000 acres, he then dealt extensively in cattle and horses, with about 20,000 of the former and 5,000 of the latter. During the settlement of the country in the early '70's, and the digging of the irrigating ditches, it was Mr. Sutherland's cattle, which supplied the half-starved settlers in a country too barren to sustain life, until water was secured for irrigation. After the passage of the "No Fence" law, Mr. Sutherland went into the sheep business very extensively, increasing his band to 30,000 head. His interests were all in stock, which were gradually reduced, and at his death in 1881 his interests were small in comparison. He had been twice married, and left ten children, among whom his large land interests were divided.
James Sutherland lived at home
through his father's life. He was married in
Mr. and Mrs. Sutherland have six
children, Thomas, Amelia, Dora, John, Fred, and Eva. Mr. Sutherland has been a
hard working man through life, attending strictly to his ranch interests, and
now congratulates himself that what he owns, he owns without encumbrance. Page 759
C. U. Henderson
C. U. Henderson, a rancher two miles
north of Grangeville, was born in the Fond du Lac
country, Wisconsin, in 1856. His father, George M. Henderson, a native of
In the youth of C. U. Henderson his
parents moved to
Mr. Henderson was married in Page 640
William Thomson, a merchant and
Postmaster of Plano,
Mr. Thomson was born in
After disposing of his property in
Mr. and Mrs. Thomson have seven children, all settled in life and within easy distance of their parents. Their frequent visits, accompanied by their little ones, brighten and beautify the old home.
Mr. Thomson and his sons own a section
of land on Deer creek, where the sons attend to the horses and cattle, while
Mr. Thomson has charge of the store and post office at Page 507
J. M. Dunlap
J. M. Dunlap, who was prominently
connected with the staging interests of
In 1881 he opened a wine room in Page 492
Calvin Dunlap, of
Mr. Dunlap was a broad-gauge business man and operated in stock on an extensive plan. He brought with him to California 1,500 head of large Texas steers, which he drove into Lynn's valley, losing from various causes about 150 head on the route. His operations in sheep-raising were on an equally extensive scale.
Calvin Dunlap is the second oldest
of the children, was born
He is engaged in business in Page 774
Walker Rankin is regarded as one of
the most prosperous and influential citizens of
Mr. Rankin was born in
The years 1854-'55 he spent in the
placer mines of
Charles Conklin Hart
Charles Conklin Hart, one of the
respected early settlers of Tulare County California, was born in
In 1862 Mr. Hart took up 160 acres
of land, on which he has made a nice home and reared his family. For
twenty-nine years he has lived on this ranch, leading the life of an
industrious and successful farmer, and during this time he has also acquired
other real-estate interests. His death occurred Page 534
Isaac Hart is one of the first
settlers of Bear valley,
Isaac Hart left home at about the
age of nineteen years, entered the Government land survey and aided in
establishing the line between the San Bernadino
meridian and the Colorado River. He also assisted in correcting the Government
surveys of Kern and later (1855) San Bernadino and
Mr. Hart was married, in old town
Tehachapi, Page 341
William J. Dunlap
William J. Dunlap, of Glennville, is
one of the later generations of Dunlaps, a son of
James E. and Lucy (Ellis) Dunlap, now resident at Page 758
P. B. Donahoo
P. B. Donahoo, an early pioneer and prominent miner in Fresno County, was born in Wisconsin, in 1849, but was reared in Iowa, where his father moved in 1850 and carried on farming.
Our subject received a limited education in the common schools. At the age of fourteen years he went to Lisbon, Iowa, and entered upon a three years' apprenticeship to the trade of machinist and general blacksmith, and after serving his time worked at that trade two years. Then he served under another apprenticeship of three years to the brick mason and plasterer's trade, thinking the two trades could be advantageously combined and would afford greater facilities for work in the new developments of the country. Being a natural mechanic, he became master of his trades and always commanded the highest wages.
In 1868 Mr. Donahoo came to California to join his brother, M. J. Donahoo, who came to this coast in 1864 and was then established at Toll House, having a blacksmith shop, store and saw-mill. Soon afterward Mr. P. B. Donahoo became manager of the blacksmith and repair shops, and built up an extensive business.
In 1874 the subject of our sketch was married to Miss Virginia Caroline Perry, a native of Arkansas, who came to California in infancy with her parents, in the company started by Captain Fancher, and but for a division of the company, would have been in that horrible Mountain Meadow massacre of historic note, which was perpetrated by the Mormons under the leadership of John D. Lee. Many years afterward this Lee was captured and taken to the scene of the tragedy, and there, seated on his own coffin, was riddled with bullets.
In 1876 Mr. Donahoo separated from his brother and went to Centerville. There he purchased an interest in the blacksmith and wagon shop of W. J. Hutchinson, the present assessor of Fresno County. Two years later he sold his interest in the shop and bought a ranch of 481 acres, located near Centerville, which he still owns, it being now rented for wheat farming. In 1878 Mr. Donahoo went to the old Adobe placer mine on the San Joaquin River, and there, in partnership with his brothers, W. H. and M. J. Donahoo, and M. Bennett, he constructed a dam, forty feet high, across the River to divert the water to a gravel bed which was very rich in mineral deposits. The dam, however, was carried away by a freshet, a heavy loss was incurred and the project was abandoned. In 1879 he returned to Toll House and worked for his brother about eight months, after which he returned to his ranch and remained two years. He then purchased a ranch of 100 acres where they county hospital now stands, which he improved and sold at a considerable profit. At that time he moved to Fresno and has since made his home in this city. He is engaged in real estate and mining speculations, mining interests having occupied much of his attention since 1883. He is a member of the firm of Donahoo, Nelson, Dunlap & Co., who deal extensively in vineyard, timber, mineral and city property.
Mr. and Mrs. Donahoo have one child, William Avery Donahoo, who was born on the ranch in 1878.
In concluding this biography we make
mention of a device invented by Mr. Donahoo in 1888,
which he thinks will become prominent in road-sprinkling. Instead of the
ordinary wagon and tank, he has two circular iron tanks which operate as
wheels, and with axle connection run as a cart. It is to be propelled by either
steam or horse power, or gasoline engine. Mr. Donahoo
has also just completed a new invention in the shape of a Street-sweeper that
is considered the most complete ever introduced to the world, as it can do
double the amount of work that others can do and without creating dust,
requiring no sprinkling. Page 556
Josephe Weringer, of Bakersfield, is a native of Vienna, born February 3, 1855, and emigrated to this country in 1878.
May 14, 1885, he married Mrs. Lucy
P. Miller, the widow of E. Miller, who was for several years an active citizen
of Bakersfield. Mr. Weringer is the proprietor of the
City Brewery in Bakersfield, in connection with which he conducts a pleasure
resort, wine rooms, and bowling alley; doing in his line an extensive business.
December 30, 1890, Mr. Weringer suffered the loss of
his wife, her death occurring suddenly, almost without warning. She left a
family of eleven children, nine of whom were by her former husband. Page
Cuthbert Burrel, a prominent rancher of Tulare County, came to California in 1846, arriving on the first of October. A brief sketch of his career is as follows:
Mr. Burrel was born in Wayne County, New York, November 28, 1824, son of George and Mary (Robinson) Burrel, natives of Northumberland County, England. His grandfather, Cuthbert Burrel, was an English squire, and his great-grandfather's name was Thomas Burrel. The subject of our sketch was the fourth in a family of nine children, five of whom are still living. In 1834, when he was ten years old, the family moved to Plainfield, Will County, Illinois. There he was reared and educated. At the age of twenty-two he came across the plains to California, driving an ox team, and being six months, lacking twelve days, en route. Their captain was Stephen A. Cooper, an experienced frontiersman.
Mr. Burrel was in service under General Fremont six months, during which time was promoted to sergeant, and after his discharge went to Sutter's Fort. There he found the wagon in which he crossed the plains, and in it traveled to Yount's in Napa County, taking with him one of the children of the Donner party. He then went to Sonoma, where he was employed by Salvador Vallejo to cover a house; remained there during the summer of 1847, and for his work received $100 in cash, 100 firkins of wheat and 200 heifers. In 1848 he was making hay in Suisun valley. One day Johnny Patton brought down five or six hundred dollars' worth of gold in a little bed-ticking sack, remained with the hay-makers for dinner and told them about the find. They decided not to return to the field, sold their interest in the hay and started for the mine. It was not until five years afterward that Mr. Burrel received his pay for the hay, then getting it in gold dust at $8 per ounce. He mined off and on for three years. The most he ever mined in one day was $112; the largest piece of gold he found weighed five ounces, and his usual day's work amounted to $16.
Upon leaving the mines, Mr. Burrel purchased land in Green valley, Solano County, where he farmed and raised stock until 1860. He then sold out, received his pay in cattle, and took them--1,311 head--to Elkhorn ranch, Fresno County, where he remained engaged in the stock business until the fall of 1869. His cattle, which were then estimated at 4,000 head, he sold for $103,000, the parties paying $23,000 down and agreeing to pay $20,000 every six months, they having the use of his ranch of 20,000 acres. It was six years, however, before he received all the payments, and with the interest it amounted to a large sum of money.
In 1871 Mr. Burrel returned to the States. From 1871 until 1874 he was not actively engaged in any business. In the meantime he suffered a stroke of paralysis and came near losing his life. In 1874 he purchased 1,000 acres of his ranch in Tulare County, located five miles northwest of Visalia. Since then he bought another thousand, and now has 2,000 acres of fine farming land all in one body. For five years his nephew, Frank Burrel, ran the ranch. He then sold out his interests and died soon afterward of consumption. During these years the subject of our sketch resided with his family in San Jose. He was married, in 1873, to Mrs. Adalza (Haycock) Adams, widow of Frank Adams. Their union has been blessed with five children, the first two being twins. Three of the children are living, namely; Vernia Jennet, Mary and Lewella. They have an elegant home in San Jose, corner of William and Third Streets, where they make their headquarters.
belongs to the Pioneer Society of California. Previous to the war he was a
Democrat; since then his political views have been in harmony with Republican
principles. He is a director of the San Jose First National Bank, and also of
three other banks. He still has Fresno County interests, owning 1,800 acres of
land there. In Mr. Burrel we find a true type of the
California pioneer. He is the same pleasant, kind-hearted, hospitable man that
he was in the early history of this State. Page 407
H. S. Bachman
H. S. Bachman was born in Harrison, Maine, in 1854. His father, a native of Germany, settled at Harrison in early life and there conducted a mercantile business. In 1861 they moved to Chicago, where young Bachman attended school for a short time. At the age of eleven - years he entered the mercantile house of Price, Rosenblatt & Co., as office boy and clerk, remaining with them three years and becoming well grounded in business principles. He then entered his father's store and continued with him until 1870, when he started out in life for himself, going South and obtaining employment on steamboats, wharfs, etc. He returned to Crown Point in 1871, and was married at that place to Miss Ada Myrick. He then followed farming one year.
In 1872 Mr. Bachman came to California, engaged in mining at the quicksilver mines in Lake County, and subsequently in San Bernardino County and Arizona. About 1876 he began grain and fruit farming at Riverside, which he continued until 1885, when he came to Tulare. He was married a second time, at Riverside, in 1883, to Miss Cynthia Smith. Arriving in Tulare, he farmed for two years, after which, in 1887, he bought out the White & Hayes livery stable, and has since continued its management keeping about twenty head of horses, and wagons suitable for a general business.
Mr. Bachman owns a ranch of 160 acres on Deer creek, and is also interested in town property. He is a leading stockholder in the Tulare Oil & Mining Company, with asphalt mines in Kern County, where they own 1,600 acres of land in the Sierra foothills. The asphalt is of fine quality and will be refined and shipped to the eastern markets.
Mr. Bachman is a member of Tulare
Lodge, No. 306, I.O.O.F. He is thoroughly identified with the best interests of
Tulare, and is one of her enterprising citizens. Page 660
A. B. Butler, M. D.
A. B. Butler, M. D., the leading
physician of the town of Lemoore, was born in Owen County, Indiana, in 1847.
His father, George W. Butler, a prominent stock- dRiver,
was a native of Virginia, where his ancestors settled in an early day, who
became prominent in political and civil life, A. B. Butler, the seventh son in
a family of ten, was educated at the State University at Blooming-ton. When but
five years of age his father died, and when sixteen his mother passed away,
after which he went to Nebraska to join his brother, David Butler, a pioneer of
that State. He was also its first Governor, and was honored with two
re-elections. He died on
Our subject began the study of medicine at Pawnee City under the preceptorship of Drs. A. S. Stewart and G. G. Gere, with whom he remained about five years. He began practice at the age of twenty-four years, in Jefferson County, Nebraska, a very poor county but a fine opportunity to gain practical experience. While there the county passed through two grasshopper scourges and three droughts. The Doctor secured his medical education at intervals, as circumstances would permit, and graduated at the Missouri Northwestern Medical College, at St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1880.
In 1881 Dr. Butler came to California, landing at Port Harford, San Louis Obispo County. He then started for Grangeville, where he arrived with twenty-five cents in cash; his wardrobe was on his back, and a small grip contained his instruments. Thus equipped and among strangers, he started his California life, and by persevering effort and successful practice has built up an extensive business. In 1886, as proof of the appreciation of his townsmen, he was nominated to the State Legislature by the Republican party, and through his popularity he overcame a Democratic majority of 400 votes. The nomination was again tendered him, but be declined. He remained at Grangeville until March, 1890, when he moved to Lemoore with a view of settling up his business affairs, but his patients followed him and he was obliged to resume his practice. He has just taken in as a partner Dr. C. Patton, of St. Louis, who will attend to much of the driving, while Dr. Butler will give more time to his extensive office practice.
He was married in Pawnee City in
1869, to Miss Mary E. Crow, a native of Illinois. They have six children, viz.:
David, Mabel, Benjamin R., Blanche, George W. and Alice. The Doctor is a member
of the F. & A. M. of Lemoore. He has a ten-acre vineyard near this city,
and is also interested in mining in the White River country with Dr. Duncan, of
Hanford, but his profession is the one aim and object of his life. Page 418
J. T. Chism
J. T. Chism was born in Monroe County, Kentucky, in 1848. He lived at home until twenty years of age, assisting in farm work and attending the common schools.
In 1869 he came to California, making the journey by rail soon after the railroad was completed. Arriving at Woodland, lie engaged in farming for two seasons, after which he turned his attention to the sheep business in Stanislaus County. He had only limited means and at first took 1,000 sheep on shares. Then he purchased 500, and by the natural increase he soon secured a flock of about 6,000.In 1881 Mr. Chism settled near Stockton, engaged in farming and sheep business and remained there until 1884. In that year he came to Tulare and settled upon his ranch of 185 acres west of town, which he had purchased in 1883. In addition to cultivating his own ranch and raising horses and cattle, he also rents a sheep range for his band of 2,000 sheep, and 700 acres for grain farming.
was married in Stockton, in 1883, to Miss Annie
Cahill, a native of California. They have three children, James T., Veda, and
Pearl. He is a member of Olive Branch Lodge, No. 269, F. & A. M. Page
John Cuddeback was born in Tehachapi, Kern County, California, in September, 1864. His father, G. P. Cuddeback, first settled in Tehachapi in 1858, and for many years was one of its prominent and influential citizens, extensively engaged in stock-raising. He is now a resident of Los Angeles, and owns valuable property in Orange, California. In early life John Cuddeback assisted his father, a practical stock man, and thus acquired the habits of a successful stock-raiser, which business, in connection with farming, is now claiming his attention. He owns about 3,000 acres of agricultural land and stock range. He has 600 fruit trees on his ranch, all in a flourishing condition, and on his grazing lands are found 200 head of cattle and fifty horses. Among the latter is some of the best horse flesh in Southern or Central California. For energy, perseverance and thrift, Mr. Cuddeback is recognized through-out the valley as having no peer, and his fine stock is the pride of the entire stock-raising community.
was married February 15, 1886, to Miss Emma, daughter of John M. Cunningham, of
Orange, California, and a native of San Jose. Page 726
A. B. Chase
A. B. Chase, since 1875 a resident of California, is a native of Franklin County, Vermont. His father, Aaron Chase, was a soldier of the war of 1812; his grandfather, of the same name, was in the Revolutionary war, and fought at Bunker Hill. He descends directly from Pilgrim stock. Two of his uncles, by name Joel and Simon Chase, were likewise American patriots. The late Chief Justice Chase was a second cousin of our subject.
Mr. Chase was reared in his native town of Franklin, and entered the United States army from Plattsburg, New York, in August, 1862, and fought at the battle of Fair Oaks, and later at Mobile, under Burnside, as a gunner in light artillery, in the discharge of which duties he was rendered deaf by the constant roar of cannon. After nine months' valiant service he received an honorable discharge, on account of disabilities. He is an architect and contracting builder, having acquired his trade at Boston, where for thirteen years following his retirement from the army he lived and pursued his chosen calling. From Boston he came to San Francisco, then located in Colusa County, and built the first dwelling at the Willows, now in Glenn County. He later located in the Sierra Nevada mountains built the Bunker Hill sawmills in Shasta County, which he owned and operated for five years. He disposed of this property and took up his residence in Los Angeles, where he did an extensive business as a contractor up to 1879, when he located at Bakersfield. Evidences of his enterprise, skill and architectural abilities are numerous in both Los Angeles and Bakersfield, in the form of many fine business blocks and dwellings which he has designed and erected.
Mr. Chase married Miss Marcina Weston, daughter of C. b. Weston, a war veteran and
several times a member of the Vermont Legislature, and forty years a clerk of
his town, Belvidere, Vermont. Mrs. Chase died in
1882, leaving two children, Miss Maud, now eighteen years of age; and Waldo, a
boy of ten years. For his second wife Mr. Chase married Miss August Foth, a native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Page 375
J. A. Durnal
No one is better known in the
Tehachapi valley as a stock man than the subject of this brief sketch. He came
to California in 1872, and to Tehachapi the following
year. He is a native of Conway County, Arkansas, born
In 1876 Mr. Durnal
was married to Miss Lucinda, daughter of the venerable W. C. Wiggins, of Old Tehachapi, and their union has been blessed with six
children. Page 660
Louis Einstein, a native of Germany, was born August 10, 1847. At the age of eighteen he came to America and engaged in the dry-goods business at Memphis, Tennessee.
In 1866 a relative of his, who resided in San Francisco, sent for him to come West, and he accordingly directed his course toward that city. Arrived there he engaged as bookkeeper for the firm of Wormser Bros., remaining with them some time. He subsequently went to Portland, Oregon, and established a wholesale liquor house. Three years later he returned to California, arriving in the San Joaquin valley in January, 1871. He at once associated himself in business with E. Jacob, of Visalia, under the firm name of Jacob & Einstein. This successful firm operated two branch houses and did a large business throughout the valley. In June, 1874, the pioneer business of Otto Froelich, Fresno, was purchased by them, and Mr. Einstein removed to this city, then only a village. With his partners he has operated the pioneer store, increasing, its business from year to year, until now it has assumed enormous proportions. H. D. Silverman, who was originally interested in one of the firm's branch stores at Centerville, was associated with Mr. Einstein during the first years of the business in Fresno, the firm name being Silverman & Einstein. Mr. Silverman dying in August, 1877, Mr. Louis Gundelfinger purchased his interest in the business, and the firm name was changed to Louis Einstein & Co. The partners have an equal interest, and the business management has continued the same up to the present day, although Mr. Einstein devotes most of his time to banking affairs, and is not actively engaged in the store.
In December, 1888, this firm formed a stock corporation, using the same name as before, the capital stock being $200,000. This pioneer store is located in the heart of the town, and at one time it contained the post office, express office and telegraph office. The postmaster, C. W. De Long, so Mr. Einstein states, received a salary of only $12 per annum. He eventually accumulated a fortune. In 1875 the brick building which the store now occupies was erected, and was the third brick building in the city.
Besides being closely identified
with the business above described, Mr. Einstein also has large interests in
other enterprises. He is the founder and president of the Bank of Central
California, which was organized
Mr. Einstein was married in 1882,
and has a family of four children. Page 418
Peter Gardett, a venerable pioneer of California, is a native of the German Empire, born in Prussia, December 27, 1824: his early years were spent as a navigator. Arriving in California in 1850, he engaged in mining until 1860, when he located in Kern County. He has taken an active part in the agricultural development of the county, and was one of its organizers. He has always confined himself quietly to his adopted calling, that of farmer and stock-raiser, engaging in politics only when duty seemed to prompt him to do so upon the earnest solicitation from his friends in public interest. He owns 520 acres of land on Poso Flats. He is universally esteemed and his judgment in matters of public concern are regarded as a criterion.
married his wife in San Francisco in 1871. Her maiden name was Amelia Agnes
Augusta Weber, and she is a native of Saxony, Germany. The have four children,
two sons and two daughters. At the time of writing a post office is established
at Poso Flats, and Mrs. Gardett
is commissioned Postmistress. Page 394
Robert Glenn, of Old Tehachapi, has been a resident of California since 1859, and of Kern County since 1868.
He was born in Lamar County, Texas, October 9, 1848, son of Silas and Mary (Burnham) Glenn, natives of Kentucky and Tennessee respectively. They came to this State in 1859 and located at El Monte, Los Angeles County, where the father engaged in farming. About six years later they removed to San Bernardino County, and settled at Lytle Creek. There the widowed mother still resides. Robert is the fourth of their seven children. He was reared as a stock ranger, and has made this the business of his life, now owning about fifty head of cattle.
He chose for his life companion and
wedded, in 1876, Miss Letha Dosier, daughter of John Dosier, of Old Tehachapi. They have four children. Page
C. Guard, the Fresno County Tax Collector was born in "Butterfly Village," Mariposa County, California, in 1862. His father, William A. Guard, now deceased, emigrated to California from Illinois in 1850. He was a lawyer and an early County Clerk and District Attorney of Mariposa County. His death occurred when the subject of this sketch was quite small.
Mr. Guard received a limited education in the public schools, and at the age of fifteen -began to support himself. His mother moved to Fresno in 1867, and here they have since resided. In 1882 our subject was employed as secretary of the Fresno Water Company, remaining with them one year and then entering the abstract office of William Faymonville. In 1884 he was appointed Deputy County Clerk, under A. C. Williams, and occupied that position until the fall of 1889, when he was elected County Tax Collector. His duties in the clerk's office was connected with the Board of Supervisors, and were performed with entire satisfaction to all concerned.
Mr. Guard is a charter member of
Fresno Parlor, No. 25, Native Sons of the Golden West, which was established
December 16, 1883. Page 554
Moses Hart, of Bear valley, Kern County, has been a resident of California since 1852. He first located in San Jose, where he remained until November 1853; mined in Mariposa County until 1856, after which he took up his residence in Los Angeles County. Since 1857 he has lived in Kern County, having located on his present farm of 160 acres in 1876. He was one of the petitioners for the organization of the county in 1865. Besides his home ranch Mr. Hart owns a quarter section of railroad land, and keeps a band of cattle and horses.
He was born in Conway County,
Arkansas, December 1, 1833. A line of facts concerning Josiah Hart, his father,
may be seen in connection with a sketch of Isaac Hart, a brother of the subject
of our sketch and a resident of the same valley. Mr. Hart was married in Los
Angeles County, July 15, 1859, to Miss Julia Ann Findley. To them twelve
children have been born, of whom the following are living; Thomas J., Sarah E.,
Moses H., Charles M., Riley, William M., Edward, Mattie and Benjamin H.
Thomas E. Hughes
In Burke County, North Carolina, June 6, 1830, the subject of this biography, "the father of Fresno," was born.
The force of a character like that of Thomas E. Hughes, in shaping the destinies of communities is one of the striking events of' our times. To be born to greatness, wealth, or leadership, exacts no merit and elicits no praise; but to be born to the common lot, to toil as others toil, to acquire wealth and gain leadership, evinces force and commands our respect and admiration.
Five years after the birth of Mr. Hughes his father brought the family from North Carolina to the wilds of Arkansas, and established their home in the frontier town of Batesville. With no opportunities for schooling the son grew up and at the age of fifteen years entered the store of A. W. Lyon, an especial friend of the family, where he remained nearly six years. At the age of twenty he married Miss Mary Rogers, daughter of Rev. J. M. Rogers. Then for three years he was engaged in merchandising.
In 1853, with his young wife, Mr. Hughes crossed the plains to California. He at once engaged in the stock business near Stockton, where he spent three prosperous years. At the expiration of that time the earliest solicitation of his wife's parents caused them to take their two sons, born in California, and return to Arkansas. After the birth of his son William, in February, 1858, his wife's health being delicate, for her sake they again undertook the trip across the plains. She improved in health until exposure, by the overturning of the carriage in a creek, brought on consumption, and her death occurred at Fort Laramie. Unwilling to leave the dead body of his wife there, Mr. Hughes brought it to Stockton for interment, arriving in California in the fall of 1859.
He was accompanied on his trip by his father-in-law, and together they brought a number of horses and cattle. Our subject then turned his attention to farming in Stanislaus Comity, where he met with success. In December, 1866, he was married to Miss Annie E. Yoakum, and by her has one daughter. In 1867 he was elected County Clerk, serving his term with credit to himself and satisfaction to all concerned. He then embarked in wheat farming on a large scale, putting in 7,000 acres, mostly in Merced County. The dry season followed, and he lost all his property. The next five years he spent in San Francisco, engaged in the real-estate business.
In June, 1878, he moved to Fresno County, his sons taking charge of some sheep which he had on shares, and he himself continuing in the real-estate business. It was at this time that the remarkable traits in the character of Mr. Hughes began to be revealed. He saw what could be done with vines and trees on the rich land in Fresno County by irrigation, and he conceived the plan of getting control of' large tracts then devoted to sheep pasture, and subdividing them into small lots and selling to actual settlers on the easiest possible terms, usually on three or four years' time, and frequently without even the payment of interest, the improvement of' the land being all he asked, its enhanced value affording all the security he required. He carried out this scheme, making a success of almost every venture. To record all his operations in this line would be to fill a book. It will be interesting, however, to make note of one of his first important transactions.
In 1881 he purchased the Jansen estate of 6,080 acres, now the flourishing Fresno colony, one mile south of the city of Fresno, This property Mr. Hughes bought for $6.50 per acre, or about that, without water. After deeding away, at the outset, over one-half of the land for water privileges on the other half, he advertised an excursion and sale of colony lots in the town of Fresno. In less than six months he had sold over $30,000 worth of land at $40 and $50 an acre. He bad previously sold a block of land for $12,000, the whole operation yielding a magnificent profit.
With Mr. J. R. White, Mr. Hughes made an important purchase of 230 acres of land from the railroad company, included in the town site of Fresno, paying $25 an acre. They soon sold a small portion of it in town lots for money enough to pay for the whole tract, and realized about $1,000 an acre for the remainder, netting them over $100,000 on the transaction.
Mr. Hughes is the owner of the
Hughes Hotel, one of the finest in the State of California. He also owns much
valuable property in the heart of the city. He is a director in the Bank of
Fresno, and is actively connected with every enterprise of magnitude in the
city. None are more public-spirited or more vitally interested in the welfare
of Fresno and its surroundings than he. Always approachable and unassuming, Mr.
Hughes is ever ready to help a good cause or enterprise. He is distinctively
one of the leading spirits and useful men of Fresno County. Page 374
John Holmes Huntley
John Holmes Huntley, a well-to-do and much respected citizen of Visalia, has been a resident of California since 1852.
Mr. Huntley was born in New York, September 7, 1829, son of Oliver D. Huntley, a native of Rhode Island and a descendant of Scotch ancestors, who settled in America at an early day. His mother, nee Mary Stark, was a native of Connecticut, and a daughter of Joshua Stark, also of that State, and of Scotch ancestry. To Oliver D. and Mary Huntley six children were born. After her death Mr. Huntley married her sister, by whom he had six children, two dying in infancy. One son, Charles II, was an Adjutant in the Thirty second Iowa, served in the late war, and was killed. John Holmes Huntley was the third child of the first family. He was reared and educated in Montgomery County, and after he grew up was employed as a clerk in a law-book store in Albany, New York.
At the age of twenty-three he started for the Golden State, and upon his arrival here engaged in mining in Tuolumne County. After this be turned his attention to farming, and later be came a dealer in cattle, buying and selling. When the war broke out he enlisted in the Second California Cavalry, and acted for a time as Sergeant-major, their active service being against the Indians. After his discharge be returned to the mines, and remained there a while. In 1866 he came to Tulare County, and engaged in a money-loaning and speculating business, buying county warrants at Visalia and also at Bakersfield. At that time the county paid its bills largely with county warrants, and Mr. Huntley advanced the cash and held the warrants till due. Later in his history he has invested in lands in Kern and Tulare counties, and has been engaged in raising cattle. He now owns, including his home place, 720 acres of land.
Mr. Huntley was married, August 23,
1879, to Miss Ninnetta R. Willfard,
a native of Southampton, England. They have two sons, -- Willfard
H. and Chester S. Politically Mr. Huntley is a Republican. For five years he
held the important office of United States Assessor of Internal Revenue for the
counties of' Tulare, Fresno, Kern and Inyo. He is a member of the G. A. R.
G. Lacy, manager of the Hanford Mill and Electric Light Plant, was born in Suffolk County, Massachusetts, in 1835. His father, David Lacy, was a native of Canton, Massachusetts, where he became prominent as a wholesale manufacturer of edge tools and hardware. Our subject left home at the early age of sixteen years and went to Geneva, Illinois, where he learned the machinist's trade in the house of E. Danforth, manufacturer of mowers and reapers. In 1857 he moved to Fort Scott, Kansas, where he engaged in the milling business, erecting both flour and saw mills, which he operated about eighteen years. In 1875 he came to California, settling at Visalia, where for fourteen years he was engaged in mechanical engineering, in milling and running threshing and farm machinery. In 1889 Mr. Lacy came to Hanford, in the employ of J. H. Johnson, of Visalia, to superintend the construction of a steam flour mill, he having, unlimited authority to build according to his own ideas. The mill, four stories high, is equipped with the improved roller machinery, with the capacity of 100 barrels per day. In the spring of 1891 Mr. Johnson put in an electric-light plant, after the Edison incandescent system, with a capacity of 1,000 lights, sixteen-candle power each. After two months the business so increased that larger engines were required, and he added new machines and boilers with a capacity of 130-horse power, and will double the capacity of lighting machinery. The mill is kept steadily running, with a home market sufficient to consume all the flour.
Mr. Lacy was married at Geneva in 1854,
to Miss Emma Winship, a native of New York, and they
have four children, Clara, now Mrs. James Dempsey, of Kansas; Richard, Lora and
Mell. The latter superintends the working of the
electric-light plant. Mr. Lacy has a twenty-acre fruit ranch near Visalia, with
town property at Hanford, where he resides, and is a faithful and competent
manager of the interests which he has in charge. Page 420
D. A. Leonard
D. A. Leonard, one of the active and
enterprising business men of Bakers-field, was born at Utica, New York, July
18, 1860; left home at twenty-one years if age, came West,
and took up his residence in Bakers-field in 1882, where he was employed for a
time on a ranch. In October, 1886, be established the livery business, in which
he is now engaged. Page 419
D. J. McConnell
D. J. McConnell, one of the prominent business men of Fresno, was born in Gaylesville, Cherokee County, Alabama, in 1838. His father, Joseph McConnell, a native of Georgia, was an early emigrant to Alabama, and helped to move the Indians to their reservation. He subsequently carried oil farming and cotton- raising owning 1,200 acres of land.
The subject of our sketch attended the high schools of Alabama, and afterward the Hiawassee College in Tennessee. Still later he studied engineering and surveying but devoted most of his time to mercantile pursuits up to 1859. In that year he was married, at Gaylesville, to Miss Margaret Miller, and they went to White County, Arkansas, where Mr. McConnell took up 160 acres of Government land, farmed and raised hogs until the opening of the war. They returned to Alabama and lie enlisted in the Nineteenth Alabama Regiment, under Colonel McSpadden. The regiment was assigned to Heineman's Division, under General Bragg, and was engaged at the battle of Chickamauga, where Mr. McConnell was shot through the body. He was disabled for a year, and after his recovery again joined the army as Forage Master for Day's Brigade, remaining in that capacity until the close of the war.
From the time peace was declared
until 1870 he was engaged in agricultural pursuits at Gaylesville.
In the spring of that year he came to California, and in the fall settled near
Centerville, purchasing 490 acres of land and engaging in farming and
stock-raising. Of this property, bottomland on King's River, he had 160 acres
in alfalfa, from which he cut about 300 tons of hay, besides pasturing 400 head
of horses and cattle. He raised the Norman and Hambletonian
strains of horses, and kept about 100 head; also 100 head of Durham stock.
Growing tired of rural life, Mr. McConnell sold his ranch in 1887, and came to
Fresno. For a year he was engaged extensively in real-estate transactions,
owning much city and country property.
Mr. and Mrs. McConnell have no
children, but have reared three children of a deceased sister--two sons and one
daughter. The young men are interested in the store, and largely con-duct the
business. Page 580
W. P. Miller, M.D.
W. P. Miller, M. D., proprietor of the Popular Drug Store, Fresno, was born in Camden, Knox County, Maine, in 1859. He received his literary education in the Waterville Classical Institute, Waterville, Maine, graduating in 1879, after which he took a medical course at the University of Vermont, and graduated in medicine and surgery in 1883.
Dr. Miller began the practice of his profession in Bristol, Maine, and was located there until 1888, when he came to California. September 1, of that year, he opened an office in Fresno, and conducted a general practice until April 1889. At that time he was induced to establish the Popular Drug Store, No. 1115 J Street, which he has since successfully conducted. The Doctor is a member of and medical examiner for Fresno Lodge, No. 186 I. 0. 0. F. He is also associated with Mono Tribe, No. 68, I. 0. R. M., being Sachem of the tribe.
Dr. Miller was married at Bristol,
Maine, in 1888, to Miss Emma Smith. Page 566
Nathan W. Moodey
This gentleman has been a resident of Fresno since 1873 and has been prominently identified with its best interests. For the position he fills and for the valuable services he has rendered to the public, Mr. Moodey is justly entitled to a representation in the history of this section of California; indeed a history of Fresno would be incomplete without some reference to him.
He was born near Dayton, Ohio, March 9, 1852, and while quite young removed with his parents to Illinois, where they established their home. There young Moodey was sent to the best schools in the locality, and his education was finished at the town college, having completed his studies, he entered a paper mill to learn the trade, and remained there three years. At the end of that time a serious fire destroyed the mill and he was left without employment, so he turned his attention to the hardware trade. In 1874 be came to California and located in Fresno. For two years he was employed by the railroad company as night agent. Then he entered the post office. At that time the office was a primitive looking affair, there being no lock-boxes, for the good reason that there was no use for any. Today an observer will notice the remarkable change that has taken place in the workings of this institution. It is a fact that in Fresno County, 60 x 150 miles in area, there ire more rented post office boxes than in any other county in the State of California, not excepting Los Angeles or San Francisco. Mr. Moodey first entered the post office as a subordinate. Under the administration of President Arthur be was appointed Postmaster, which office he resigned after the change of party in power in 1885 during President Harrison's administration he was reappointed to his old office, which he now occupies. Mr. Moodey's management of' this important branch of the Government at Fresno is eminently satisfactory and reflects great credit on his ability as an official. In 1886 he was the Republican nominee for sheriff, and, although defeated, ran far ahead of his ticket, the county then being strongly Democratic.
was married in 1883, and he and his wife are the parents of' two bright
children, a son and a daughter. Page 366
James B. Morris
James B. Morris was born in Missouri, September 27, 1838. His parents were Thomas and Mary (Golden) Morris, both natives of Tennessee, the former a descendant of French ancestry. James B. is the seventh of their nine children, three of whom are living. He was reared and educated in Missouri and there learned the carpenter's trade, which, as a contractor and builder, he has followed the most of his life.
When the Civil War broke out, Mr. Morris enlisted in Company B, Sixth Missouri Cavalry, and, after serving in it six months, joined the First Missouri Battery and served in it until the close of the war, without being taken prisoner or receiving a wound. He participated in the battles of oak Hill, Mansfield, Louisiana, Jenkins' Ferry and in many smaller fights. After the close of the war, he returned home and again gave his attention to his trade.
In 1876 Mr. Morris came to California and direct to Visalia. For twelve years he was engaged in contracting and building here and during that time erected many of the best houses in the city, In November, 1889, in partnership with Mr. McDermot. he bought the grocery and provision store, which they have since successfully conducted. They do a thriving business and number among their customers the best citizens of Visalia. Mr. Morris purchased property in this city at the corner of North and Willis Streets, remodeled the house, and now has a comfortable home, in which he resides with his family.
He was married, in 1862, to Miss
Mary Z. Smyth, a native of Missouri, who has borne him a daughter, Sadie E. Mr.
Morris is a worthy member of the Masonic fraternity. Politically he is a
Democrat. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace in the city of
Visalia. Like all good Californians, he is interested in the growth and
prosperity of this State, and is justly proud of the advancement she is making.
Dr. W. Musgrave
W. Musgrave, Ph. B., M. D., was born in Grass Valley, Nevada County, California, in 1857. His father, Richard M. Musgrave, was a native of the north of Ireland, and of Scotch, descent. He was a sea-faring man, a captain of an English merchantman, that brought a cargo of merchandise to San Francisco in the early days of the gold excitement, and he with his mates left the vessel and went to the mines in Nevada County, where he was prominently connected with mining interests during the remainder of his life. He was married in Grass Valley in 1856, to Miss Margaret Wilson, a native of Scotland, and they resided there until the death of Mr. Musgrave, in 1878.
R. W. Musgrave was educated in the public schools of Grass Valley, graduating in the high school in 1873. He then entered the University of California, taking a scientific course and graduating in 1879. He obtained his medical education in the California Medical College of San Francisco, and graduated in 1884. Dr. Musgrave began the practice of his profession in Hanford, Tulare County, and is now the second oldest physician in the town. He does a general practice, and has a large and extended patronage.
The doctor was married in San Francisco in January, 1890, to Miss Sue A. Barrett, a native of Michigan. This union has been blessed with one child, --Marjorie.
In fraternal circles Dr. Musgrave
occupies a prominent position. He has been Master of Hanford Lodge, No. 279, F.
& A. M., for three years, and is a charter member of Hanford Parlor, No.
37, N. S. G. W., having filled the chair of President for several years. He was
one of the incorporators of the Hanford Improvement Association, and is still
secretary and a member of the board of directors. This company purchased 400 acres
near Hanford, subdivided it into tracts of ten acres and organized the Lucerne
Colony, which is now one of the prosperous colonies of the valley. Pages
Joseph Peacock, whose name stands synonymous with the water development and ditch interests of the Lucerne district, was born in Oneida County, New York, in 1830. His father, Joseph Peacock, a native of England, came to the United States in 1808, and settled in Oneida County, being one among that brotherhood of Quakers. He died when our subject was but ten years of age, and he was thus early thrown upon his own resources. He was employed by one of the Quaker sisters, with whom he lived until 1852, when he started for California via the Nicaragua route. After arriving at San Francisco he went to Skiskiyou County, and there joined his two brothers, Ezra and Allen, and with them mined and farmed until 1860. Then, going to Solano County, he pre-empted land and farmed until 1867. In that year he moved to Napa County, and engaged in stock farming until 1874, when he journeyed southward, visiting friends in Merced County, who were about making a change. They came south together, agreeing to settle upon the first sandy-loam land in the valley where they could get free water for irrigation.
The Mussel Slough country was decided upon, and there they set their stakes upon railroad land, as the Government land was all taken. After locating his family Mr. Peacock connected himself with the Lake Side Ditch Company, in the fall of 1874. The main ditch being completed, he commenced work on the tributaries, and thus worked out his stock and secured water for his ranch, but the flow was insufficient until 1876, and little could be grown. In 1876 he was appointed superintendent of the Lake Side ditch, and proved himself so efficient a manager that in January, 1878, he was also appointed superintendent of the People's ditch. Finding the management of both impossible he gave his entire attention to the latter, and resigned his position on the former. Mr. Peacock was a firm but quiet manager, and was enabled to settle many grievous difficulties which had existed among the stockholders. After five years of faithful service he was called as superintendent of the "76" Land and Water Company. who owned 30,000 acres of land and the largest irrigating ditch in the State. He remained with them seven years, which is substantial proof of his faithfulness. He has now retired from active life and joined his family upon the ranch, which his sons have been managing. He has 120 acres of his original purchase, four miles southeast of Hanford, eighty acres of which is pasture, fourteen acres in vines, and the remainder under cultivation. Eighty acres further south is in alfalfa, and there are twenty acres two miles north of Traver, in the "76" district, ten of which is in vines and the remainder in trees and alfalfa.
Mr. Peacock was married in Solano
County, in 1864, to Miss Hannah Bonham, a native of Iowa. They have ten
children, viz.: Harrison R., Clara, now Mrs. George M.
Dopkins; Molly, Elisha,
Frank, Walter, Belle, George, Myrtle and Edna. Page 416
W. W. Phillips
In this rapidly developing country of ours where opportunities for all are equal some make swifter strides toward prosperity than others, and their wonderful success may be attributed to natural ability and tact combined with resolute will and persistent determination to succeed. The subject of this sketch is one whose business career is worthy of note. Mr. Phillips is to-day one of the youngest bank officers in the State of California; and the phenomenal success he has achieved during the years of his residence here justly entitle him to honorable mention in this volume.
He was born in Mississippi in 1851. Early in life he was sent to school, and until he reached his fifteenth year his studies received his close attention. At that time he became a clerk in a store at Canton. In the winter of 1867 he was chosen a page in the State Senate, which position, he occupied four months. Then he was employed by a large cotton firm at Vicksburg, Mississippi, and remained with them until 1870. December of that year found him enroute to California, seeking new fields of labor. He arrived in Fresno County, January 1, 1871, and immediately entered upon a business career, a career which the score of years succeeding has shown to be of marked success.
Young Phillips, then twenty years of age, engaged as a clerk in a general merchandise store at Centerville, and was variously employed there until 1874, when he came to Fresno. Here he secured a position with the firm of Kutner, Goldstein & Co., now one of the most prominent business houses in the valley. In 1877 be was admitted as a partner of the firm, and for four years and a half conducted the Centerville branch store, The firm continued to prosper, and as an investment of their profits they established the Farmer's Bank of Fresno. Mr. Phillips then gave most of his time and attention to work at the bank, assumed the position of cashier, which he held until 1887. He was in that year elected vice-president and manager, a position he fills at the present time. To mention the enterprise with which Mr. Phillips is actively engaged or in some way connected would be to mention. many of the most important ones in Fresno. He helped to establish the Fresno Ice Works in 1874; was instrumental in organizing, and is now director of', the Fresno Gas Light Company; was the first secretary of tile Fair Ground Association; is at present a director of the Fresno Water Company, and has an interest in the Fresno Bonded Warehouse.
Mr. Phillips possesses many pleasing traits of character, and his amiable qualities have won for him a large circle of friends.
He was married October 10, 1880, to
Miss Elizabeth B. Pressley, of Sonoma County, daughter of Judge John B.
Pressley. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips have one child, a son, eight
years of age. Page 387
Judge Dante R. Prince
Judge Dante R. Prince was born in Altaville, Calaveras County, California, on April 13, 1864.
The subject of our sketch attended the public schools, and at the age of fourteen years entered Santa Clara College. He took the commercial, scientific and literary courses in that institution, and graduated in 1885, receiving the degree of B. A. He then returned to take the post-graduate course, but was appointed professor of English arid bookkeeping, and remained as a teacher in the college for two years.
In July, 1887, Mr. Prince met Judge
David S. Terry in San Francisco, and through his advice came to Fresno, entered
the Judge's office and began the study of law. He pursued his studies
assiduously for about two years, after which, in April, 1889, he was admitted
to practice. In the spring election of 1889, Mr. Prince was elected City
Recorder of Fresno, and through his administration of justice did much toward
making the recorder's court one of the most prominent
criminal courts of the city. In this court,
In the fall election of 1890 Recorder Prince was elected Justice of Third Township, and on January 1, 1891, lie resigned the office of recorder to accept that of Justice of the Peace.
He is President of Parlor No. 35, N.
S. G. W.; District Deputy Grand President of the Young Men's Institute of
California, and Chief Ranger of the Fresno Court of the Independent Order of
Foresters. Page 579
Hon. D. M. Pyle
Hon. D. M. Pyle, of Mountain View, Kern County, is a native of Vermillion County, Indiana, where he was born April 20, 1851. His father, William Pyle, a farmer by occupation, came to California in 1852 and located at Sutterville, three miles below Sacramento, and in 1855, when our subject was four years old, his mother brought him and sister to California, where they joined the head of the family. The latter died in March, 1890, sixty-six years of age. He had eleven children, eight of whom reached maturity, and seven are still living.
The subject of this sketch was educated at the University of the Pacific at Santa Clara, California. After leaving college he learned the tinner's trade, at which he worked three years. He then taught school between four and five years in Santa Clara County. In 1871 he married Miss Mary, the daughter of Hon. Thomas Rea, of Gilroy. Mr. Pyle engaged in the stock and dairy business some six years at Gilroy, during which time he was elected to the State Assembly, where he served in the regular session of 1885 and in the extra session of 1886. In 1886 he was elected Supreme Representative of the American Legion of Honor of the State of California, and was present at the session of the Council which convened in Boston. After making a general tour of the United States he returned, and in February, 1887, he moved to Kern County, locating at Mountain View, eight miles and a half southwest of Bakersfield, where he is engaged in the nursery business.
He is a man of practical business
affairs, a first-class agriculturist and a recognized authority on
horticulture. He has recently been selected to represent Kern County on the
State Board of Horticulture. As a legislator for Santa Clara County Mr. Pyle
displayed much administrative ability Being well
educated, intelligent and of the strictest integrity, he is held in the highest
estimation by all who know him. Page 417
Francis Rea is an early settler of that portion of Tulare County lying three miles northwest of the village of Traver. He came to California in 1872, and to his present ranch in 1874, ten years previous to the birth of Traver. Other settlers came at the same time, but the country was so dry and the prospects for the future so poor that they soon became discouraged and left, and he was laughed at for remaining. To his original 160 acres of land he has since added other tracts, until he is now the owner of 720 acres, that, with the growth of the county and the introduction of water for irrigation, has become quite valuable, worth at least $50 per acre. Thus have his staying qualities and his persistent efforts been rewarded.
Mr. Rea was born in Macon County, Illinois, June 9, 1845. His grandparents, James and Hannah (Hutsinpetter) Rea, were early settlers of Virginia, and his great-grandfather and great-grandmother were born in the Old Dominion, the former named Edward Rea, and the latter was a Miss Elizabeth Patton before her marriage. Francis Rea's father, William Rea, a native of Ohio, married Mary Howell, and Francis is the oldest of their six children, only three of whom are now living. He was reared in Illinois and educated in the public schools of that State, finishing his education in the Lombard University, Galesburg. David Rea, the second son, served three years in the One Hundred and Sixteenth Illinois Infantry, volunteering at the age of fifteen years; was honorably discharged. After returning home in 1867, married Mary Loudenback, of Ohio.
In 1862, when a boy of sixteen, Mr. Francis Rea enlisted in Company A, Thirty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and during his service in the war saw much of hard fighting; participated in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, and in the series of battles in Sherman's campaign to Atlanta, besides many other lesser fights. At the battle of Eztra Church he was in a shower of bullets, and after coming out of the engagement his clothing was found to have been perforated with twenty-seven ball holes. What is wonderful to relate, he was uninjured. A more remarkable escape from death is not on record. At the close of the war he was honorably discharged, returned to Illinois and took a course in the university at Galesburg. He was then engaged in agricultural pursuits in that State until 1872, the year in which he came to California.
Arrived here, he located in Santa Clara County, and two years later came to his present ranch. When he settled here he had just money enough to build a shanty and buy provisions for six months. For a time he had difficulty to get along, but he held out bravely, and his persistent efforts have been crowned with success. While he has been chiefly engaged in wheat raising, he is now turning his attention to fruit culture, having planted an orchard and vineyard.
Mr. Rea was married, in Illinois, in 1856, to Miss Mattie Ehrhart, a native of that State, of Virginia ancestry. They have had eight children. One of the sons, Clarence Wilbur, died when fifteen years of age. Roy was drowned and Ethel died at the age of four months. The surviving children are Clara, wife of Benjamin Blincoe; Edgar, Francis Leo, D. Bunn and Neva.
Mr. Rea is a Republican and a member
of the Grand Army of the Republic. He has served as Chaplain and is at present
Quartermaster of the post; has also served as senior Vice-Commander, and has
the honor of having been a member of the first post organized in Illinois.
W. W. Rea
W. W. Rea was born in Charlotte,
North Carolina, in 1854. His father, D. L. Rea, a merchant tailor by trade,
came to California in 1868, and engaged in the stock business in San Joaquin
and Tulare counties. W. W. Rea was educated in the public schools of Stockton,
and in 1873 came to Tulare as clerk in the store of Sisson, Wallace & Co.,
pioneer merchants of the town. He remained in their employ until 1881, when, on
account of too close confinement and failing health, he resigned. In order to
get plenty of fresh air and out-door life, he accepted a position as brakeman
with the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, running between Tulare and Lathrop;
seven months later was promoted to freight conductor, and served in that
capacity until 1883, when he resigned to accept the appointment of under sheriff
for M. J. Wells, of Visalia. Office work again impaired his health, and after
one year's work he was appointed field deputy in the county assessor's office,
filling the position until 1885; returned to railroad work as freight
conductor, and in 1888 was promoted to passenger conductor, which he followed
He was married in Tulare in 1878 to Miss Inez C. Carey, and has one child, Gardell, born in 1880.
Mr. Rea is a member of Tulare Lodge,
No. 78, K. of P.; is secretary of Division No. 46, Brotherhood of Railway
Conductors; and second officer in Valley Oak Camp, No. 75, Woodsmen of the
World. Page 515
James Scobie, deceased, was one of the respected pioneers of the Agua Caliente valley, Kern County, California.
He was born in Ireland, March 17, 1828; spent six years as a sailor before the mast; came to America in 1851, and direct to California. After his arrival in this State, Mr. Scobie worked for General Banning of Los Angeles, driving stage between that town and Wilmington and San Pedro in 1853, remaining in his employ some years. In 1865 he located the place in Caliente which his widow now owns and occupies. In 1870 be went to Inyo County and entered a merchandising business at Lagunita, Little Lake post office. He, however, returned to the homestead, and died in Walker's Basin, February 11, 1888.
He was married, January 4, 1876, to
Miss Lizzie McGurck, daughter of Andrew McGurck deceased, a pioneer of Walker's Basin. This union
was blessed with one son, James, who is now a bright lad of ten years. Mrs. Scobie has successfully conducted the ranch and stock
business since her husband's death, besides selling merchandise. She has thus
shown herself to be a woman of affairs, having keen business judgment and
foresight. Page 554
William A. Sims
William A. Sims, a prosperous and much respected rancher of Famersville, Tulare County, California, was born in Greene County, Illinois, January 20, 1846. His father, Augustine Sims, was born in Kentucky, June 29, 1805, and on June 29, 1826, was united in marriage with Mary Ann Redman, also a native of Kentucky. They removed to Illinois, and in 1869 to California. At this writing, (1891) they reside in Sacramento. Of the eleven children born to them, seven are still living, one died in infancy, and their son John Fletcher was killed by the Apache Indians. William A., the tenth born, was reared on his father's farm, attended the public schools, and at the age of twenty was married to Miss Josephine Woodman, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Nelson Woodman. They sold their farm in Illinois and came to California in 1869.
After his arrival in this State, Mr. Sims settled on the Sacramento River and farmed there five years; he sold out, removed to Sonoma County, and resided there one year; in 1875 he came to his present ranch, half a mile south of Farmersville and seven miles from Visalia. Here he owns a choice farm of 320 acres, where he is successfully engaged in general farming, and on which, in 1888, he built a nice residence. Their children are all natives of the Golden West, and are named as follows: Eulo Lee, Winfield A., Volney A., Josephine, Lenora, Ava, Commodore W. and Lela.
Mr. Sims is a Prohibitionist, a prominent
member of the Farmers' Alliance and the Industrial Union, and is one of the
representative farmers of Tulare County. Page 727
L. P. St.Clair
L. P. St. Clair was born in
Allegheny County, Pennsylvania,
Mr. St.Clair went to work mining on Feather River where he had fair success for a few weeks, when he resolved to set out for the mines of Australia, but got no further than Sacramento, and finally gave up the trip.
He spent the winter of 1852-53 in Auburn and vicinity. The following spring he went to the Middle fork of the American River. He tried mining a short time, and then engaged in the butchering business at Volcanoville, El Dorado County. He continued in this business till 1856, when he sold out and bought a tannery on Otter creek in company with Judge Aaron Bell, now of Shasta County. This proving a failure he returned next year to butchering. In 1859 he went to the town of Red Dog, in Nevada County, following the butchering business for a year or more, and then went to Dutch Flat in Placer County; but he soon returned to Red Dog. In 1856 he went East on a two years' visit. On his return to California he located in Dutch Flat and followed the butcher's trade till in the fall of 1887, when he came to Bakersfield and engaged in the same occupation a year where he has developed one of the most important and successful public enterprises of Bakersfield, the Bakersfield Electric Light & Gas Company, of which he is the manager and controlling spirit, and of which more extended mention appears elsewhere in this work.
Mr. St. Clair was married, in 1869,
to Miss Mary F. Dunn and they have four children. Page 776
William T. Suttenfield
William T. Suttenfield is a native of California, born in Mariposa County, March 12, 1861. His father, now a resident of San Bernardino County, was a pioneer, coming to the State in 1849 and engaging in the stock business. William T. was educated in the city of Stockton, which was the family home for a number of years. After completing his studies he went to Nevada, where, like his father, he gave his time and attention to stock-raising. Four years later he returned to Stockton and engaged in the lumber business, in which he has been interested ever since with the exception of one year he spent in San Bernardino County. At Stockton he was in the employ of Messrs. Moore & Smith for three years; became a skilled lumberman and was popular with his employers. It was in 1889 that he came to Selma and purchased the interest of D. B. Stephens, the pioneer lumberman of the town, and since then has successfully carried on his business here, greatly enlarging, the business so that at present it is a very profitable one.
Mr. Suttenfield has a twenty-acre raisin vineyard near Selma, one year old, which will yield its owner a good profit the coming season. He is a member of the Native Sons of the Golden West, Knights of Pythias and the Ancient Order of Foresters.
is unmarried. Page 566
J. B. Swearingen
J. B. Swearingen, a prominent citizen of Bakersfield, first came to California from Missouri in 1854. He was born near Boonville, Cooper County, Missouri, November 1, 1834. His father was a native of Maryland, but moved to Kentucky when five years of age, thence to Missouri in 1818. He had ten children who grew to maturity--seven sons and three daughters.
The subject of this notice, the sixth child, was educated at Pleasant Green College. When twenty years of age he crossed the plains by what was known as the Central route. He followed mining about fifteen years, with varied success, in Nevada County, California, at Grass Valley, Nevada City, etc. In 1875 he was Under Sheriff of Inyo County, and since then he has been engaged mostly in the hotel business, having been manager of the Bishop's Creek Hotel eight years, of the Lowry House of San Luis Obispo, and later of the Occidental Hotel at Ventura several years. In February, 1890, he came to Bakersfield; but he first came to Kern County in 1865 and prospected in gold for about two years in the Havilah district, afterward going to San Luis.
He was married to Mrs. Sarah Hughes, in 1875. They have no children.
Mr. Swearingen is the present
popular and genial landlord of the Cosmopolitan Hotel at Bakersfield. His
reputation as a good hotel man having followed him to Bakersfield, his house is
the popular stopping place and home for a large number of California pioneers
and business men. Page 516
R. R. Taylor
R. R. Taylor, one of the enterprising farmers of the Tehachapi valley, Kern County, California, is a native of Texas. He was born March 24, 1846, and at the age of twenty-two years left his native State and came to California. His father, W. w. Taylor, a native of Georgia and a farmer by occupation, located in Texas and finally came with his family to El Monte, California, late in 1871, where he died soon after his arrival. Seven of his nine children lived to maturity, and of the seven R. R. is the fourth born.
From 1878 to 1886 Mr. Taylor resided in Los Angeles County; returned to Kern County and located at Tehachapi. He first purchased land and lived in Cummings valley. Selling his farm there, he bought 640 acres of school land three miles east of Tehachapi Station. He has also leased other lands, and now has 1,750 acres of wheat and about 500 acres of barley, keeping sixty head of cattle and forty work horses.
Mr. Taylor married Miss Julia
Wiggins, daughter of Marion Wiggins, Esq., of Tehachapi, April 4, 1872. They
have four children: William, Bessie, Mary and Albert. Page 726
D. W. Walser
There is not a pioneer of Kern County whose name is more familiar throughout Central California than that of D. W. Walser. His life in California has been a most active, and in part a successful, one. He came to Kern County a young man when the country was new and undeveloped, and has taken a prominent part in its advancement.
He was born in Jefferson City, Cole
Mr. Walser crossed the plains from Missouri to California in 1852 with an ox team, spending four months and seventeen days in making the trip. He located. in El Dorado County, and for four years was engaged in the placer mines with varied successes and reverses, "nearly always reverses." He has said that he reflects upon those four years as being nearest a failure of any four years of' his life, as he came out of the mines without having obtained either "fun, money or glory." In 1856 he went to Tulare County and worked for wages at "Cow Town," now Visalia. That county then cast only about 300 votes. He soon purchased beef steers, drove them to the mines and sold them, which business he continued until 1864. That year he was married to Miss Mary Lightner, daughter of Abia T. Lightner of Walker's Basin, Kern County, and that same year came to his present location. His place for many years prior to that time was known as Harmon's hay grounds. Here he embarked in stock-raising, and has made the business, with that of farming, a signal success. In 1866 he was appointed one of four commissioners to organize Kern County, to be taken front Tulare and Los Angeles counties, and in July of that year the board met at Havilah and appointed the first officers to hold an election and divide the county into voting precincts. With some of the most important business enterprises in the county he has been prominently connected; is one of the organizers of and a stockholder in the Batik of Bakersfield, an institution of $250,000 capital; and, in company with S. W. Wible and J. J. Mack, is helping to develop one of the largest fruit farms in Central California, a detailed mention of which will be found in a biography of' Mr. Wible in this work.
Hr. Walser is a man of strong traits of character. He is a utilitarian in the most practical sense of the word. He believes in and encourages industry and frugality, and has little respect for the half-hearted worker and producer, and no use at all for a lazy man. He holds very decided and sometimes radical opinions on the topics of the day, and, as a rule, is outspoken and "square-toed" in expressing them.
home is most picturesque in its location, the residence being one of the finest
and most complete in its interior arrangements in Kern County. Mrs. Walser, like other members of her father's family, grew up
in Kern County, she being only ten years of age when they located at old
Keysville. At the Lightner home good books suited to
both the young and the old were ever in reach of all, and the children almost
unconsciously became self-taught. The influence of good literature is
consequently seen and enjoyed in her home. The "latch string" of the Walser abode is always out, the stranger receives kind
treatment there, and friends and acquaintances are sure of a royal welcome.
Wade J. Williams
Wade J. Williams, proprietor of the Union Market, Fresno, was born in Vacaville, Solano County, California, in 1863. His father, M. L. Williams, a farmer and extensive stock dealer, now resides in Fresno County. Wade J. received a public- school education, and at the age of sixteen entered upon a business career. He purchased a little band of sheep, and, as his own shepherd, attended their wanderings from King's to San Joaquin River, and from. the Sierras to the Coast Range. He followed this industry about nine years, with a flock numbering from 3,000 to 15,000 head. In 1888 he sold his sheep and engaged in butchering. He purchased the market and business of M. Madison, No. 1938 Mariposa Street, and about twelve days later his market was totally destroyed by fire. Nothing daunted, he resumed business and has since carried it on successfully. Mr. Williams has some real-estate interests here, owning eighty acres in vineyard, adjoining the Barton vineyard, and also having town property.
He is a Native Son of the Golden
West, and is associated with Fresno Parlor, No. 25. Mr. Williams was married in
Fresno in 1888, to Miss Alice McSweegan. Pages
Daniel Wood, a highly respected and widely known early settler of California, came to the State in 1850.
Mr. Wood was born in Le Roy, Genesee County, New York, August 6, 1820, son of Daniel and Sally (Robinson) Wood, natives of Vermont. On the maternal side he is a descendant of the Pilgrim fathers. Mr. and Mrs. Wood had a family of six children, and they removed from -New York to Rochester, Racine County, Wisconsin, when the subject of this sketch was nineteen years of age. He continued to reside there until 1850, when he came to California, arriving at Hangtown August 26. He saw Chicago as early as 1839.
Like nearly all the others who came to California during the years that immediately followed the gold discovery, Mr. Wood had his experience in the mines, without any remarkable success, however. He also worked at saw milling. In 1860 be came to Tulare County, and in 1863 purchased his present ranch of 160 acres. Since then he has purchased and sold land several times. He also sold a portion of his first purchase, retaining 104 acres of well watered, black sandy loam, which is well improved and under a high state of cultivation. Thirty acres are devoted to vines and stone fruits, and the rest to hay and grain. Mr. Wood is having remarkable success as a horticulturist, and relates something of his first experience in fruit culture. Other crops had failed on account of dry years; he was $2,000 in debt, was greatly discouraged, and turned his attention to his present occupation as a last resort. He planted two acres of strawberries, and in one year they brought him an income of $1,600. From that small beginning he has increased his operations, and his land is now worth a fortune to him.
Mr. Wood was married January 1, 1865, to Miss Carrie Goldthait, who was born in Indiana and reared in California, her father, John Goldthait, having brought his family to this State in 1853. He is a veteran of the late war, and is now a resident of Salt Lake City. To Mr. and Mrs. Wood ten children were born, all native sons and daughters of the golden West. Two are deceased, and the others reside with their parents. Their names are as follows: Daniel G., George W., Rose M., Lillie A., May, Stella, Edna and Edward. Mr. Wood was converted at the age of fifteen, and became a member of the Baptist Church. The church of that denomination in Visalia having gone down, he united with the Methodist Episcopal, and has long been an active and useful member, holding the offices of trustee and steward. He is also a licensed exhorter; is a Prohibitionist, and gives his earnest support to the temperance work.
Mr. Wood has vivid recollections of his trip across the plains, and relates in a most interesting manner many reminiscences of the journey. Their party consisted of six men, seven horses and two wagons. Rochester, Wisconsin, was their starting place, and on the way they encountered many hardships. They were attacked by the cholera, and his brother in-law died and was buried oil the plains. Long before they reached their destination their provisions gave out, and they were much reduced for want of food. At one time, on the desert, they paid a bit a glass for stale water, and were glad to get it at that. For a sack of flour he gave $50 in gold. The flour was made into pancakes, and each one was given an allowance. Before reaching Hangtown they sold their last horse for $3, and when they arrived there Mr. Wood had only money enough left to buy a watermelon, which was a most salutary repast.
During the forty-one years of his
residence here Mr. Wood has witnessed the phenomenal changes California has
undergone, and, like all good citizens, is justly proud of the great State in
which he lives. He taught school several years in Mariposa,
Leroy N. Wood
Leroy N. Wood, a prominent business
Mr. Wood was reared and educated in Sank County, Wisconsin. he learned the mercantile business in Beatrice, Nebraska, and clerked there from 1872 till 1874. He then came to California, spent two years as a clerk in Bakersfield, Kern County, after which he opened a store on his own account at Glennville and was successfully engaged in business there from 1877 till 1883. At the end of that time he sold out and moved to Gilroy, Santa Clara County, where he conducted business seven years, at the same time being interested in a business at San Francisco.
In 1890 Mr. Wood came to Visalia and purchased the business of Stevens & Co., one of the leading general merchandise firms of Visalia. This store is a double one and is 113 feet deep, and in the rear of it is a store house, 60 x 100 feet. He does a large business, employs eleven men, and has a trade that extends out fifty miles to the east.
Mr. Wood was married in 1877, to Miss Mary Campbell, a native of California. They have five children, all born in this State, viz.: Mark, Ford, Norm, Julia and Louisa.
In his political views Mr. Wood is a
Republican and a protectionist. He is associated with the I. O. O. F. Although
he has been a resident of
Memorial and Biographical History of the Counties of Fresno, Tulare and Kern, California
Illustrated - The Lewis Publishing Company -1892
Transcribed by: Martha A Crosley Graham
24 May 2008
Site Created: 24 May 2008
Martha A Crosley Graham
Rights Reserved: 2008