History of Northern California
Note: Use CTRL-F to Search
…a native son of California, was born near Napa, in the original adobe residence of
his parents, Cayetamo and Maria J. (Higuerra) Juarez, in 1854.
He received his primary education in the public schools of Napa, and later attended St. Mary’s
College at San Francisco, the Oakland College, and St. Augustine College at Benicia.
He returned home at the age of fifteen, and since that time he has been
engaged in attending to the various interests connected with his own and his
father’s ranch near Napa.
He was married in 1876 to Miss Helene Newhouse,
a native of Sierra County, California.
They have three children: Roy, born July 5,
Ethel, born September 14, 1882; and Vivien, born January 8, 1884. He is a member of Napa Parlor, No. 62, N S. G. W., and the
organizer and leader of the Juarez Orchestra, which has furnished the
music for the surrounding country for years past. His father was the earliest locater of land
in the Napa Valley, having been granted, in 1841, by
Governor Manuel Jimeno, a tract of 8,865 58-100ths
acres, called the Tulcay Rancho, which extended from
the Suscol Creek on the south to Arroyo Sarco on the north, and to the Napa River on the west. He was a Mexican soldier from his early
boyhood, joining the army in 1827, and took a very active part in the control
of the Indian population, fighting those that were insubordinate, and managing
and caring for on his ranch those who were peaceful. In 1840 he removed to the grant above
mentioned, where he built the original adobe house in which he lived until
1845. In that year he built the second
old large adobe, which is still occupied.
In the year 1854 he was elected the alcalde of
the district of Sonoma, in which year a party of twenty Americans assembled
near the present site of Healdsburg for some unlawful purpose, when Don Cayetano with a force of men drove them away. The excitement growing out of this affair
continued to increase until the Americans and Mexicans began to look upon each
other with general distrust, and finally culminated in what is known as the
“Bear Flag War.” Don Cayetano
also owned a rancho of 10,000 acres where Ukian now
stands, but this was never confirmed to him by our Government, as he had
already disposed of it before the American Land Commission was appointed. He died in 1883, and is buried in the Tulucay Cemetery, the ground for which was donated
by him. His wife, Madame Maria J.
Juarez, was born at the Presidio in 1815.
Her father, Francisco Higuerra, was a soldier
and also an interpreter of the Russian language in the intercourse with the
Russian settlements in Alaska and on the Russian River.
He built the first wooden house in San Francisco, the material being brought from
the mill on the Russian River.
He owned all the lands in the immediate neighborhood of the Presidio,
but being lost at sea on a voyage to the Sandwich Islands, his children, who were young at
the time, were defrauded of their property.
Mrs. Maria Jesus Juarez survived her husband six years, dying January 7,
1890, aged seventy-four years, one month and twenty-three days, and was buried
by the side of her husband. (Pages 310-311)
…President of the Bank of Northern California, is one of Shasta County’s prominent citizens and business
men. A brief sketch of his life is as
He was born in Albany, New York, November
18, 1826, the son of Eleazer and Cynthia (Cornell) Frisbie, both natives of the State of New York, the former of French ancestry and
the latter of English. He was the fourth
born in the family, was reared on his father’s farm and received his early
education in Albany.
At the age of fourteen young Frisbie left home
to work on a farm at six dollars per month.
He worked out four years and in the meantime attended school six months
at the Albany Academy.
April 16, 1846, he was united in marriage to Miss Phebe
Ann Klink, a beautiful young girl of his own county. He started a small dairy at Albany and continued it successfully for
four years. At the end of that time he
removed to Syracuse and purchased a farm, remaining
there seven years.
In 1855 he sold out and came to California and settled in Napa County.
He purchased a farm five miles from Vallejo, where he farmed successfully for
twenty-two years. In 1877 Mr. Frisbie purchased 20,000 acres of the Redding grant, covering the towns of Redding and Anderson.
He divided the property up, put it on the market and sold it off, having
disposed of the last of it in 1885. He
engaged in lumbering on the Pitt River, floated the logs to Redding and sawed them there. In 1888 he formed a banking corporation,
composed of the following gentlemen: E. Frisbie, F. H. Deakin, J.
McCormick, Captain T. G. Taylor and T. A. C. Doland. They gave it the name of the Bank of Northern California.
They started with a capital of $100,000.
Mr. Frisbie was elected President, which
position he still occupies. He also has
large farming interests in this State; owns a stock-ranch of 920 acres on the
Bald Hills in Shasta County, where he is raising cattle and
horses. With one of his sons and another
gentleman Mr. Frisbie is farming 12,000 acres of land
in Monterey County.
On this place they have a large dairy.
About one-half of the place is being
cultivated. On it they harvested 63,000
sacks of wheat and barley.
There were born to Mr. Frisbie by his first wife eleven children, all of whom are
married and have children of their own.
At this writing Mr. Frisbie has twenty-four
grandchildren. July 17, 1886, after a useful
and happy life, Mrs. Frisbie was called home. The loss of this loving and indulgent mother
and true and devoted wife was deeply felt by her family and many friends. In June, 1887, Mr. Frisbie
wedded Miss Laura A. Walden, a native of California and daughter of Mr. Jerome Walden,
an early settler of the State. This
union is blessed with a daughter, Edwina Fay.
brother, now General J. B. Frisbie, was a Captain of
one of the companies in General Stevenson’s regiment, and came with that regiment
to California in 1846. He is now a
resident of Mexico.
Another brother, Eleazer, came to this State
with the same regiment. General J. B. Frisbie and Dr. L. C. Frisbie
married General Vallejo’s daughters. Dr.
Frisbie has resided at Vallejo since 1852.
Previous to the civil war the
subject of this sketch was a Democrat, but he voted for John C. Fremont, and
has since given his vote and influence to the Republican party. In all business matters he is very exact,
both to give and receive what is just.
In public affairs he has always been very liberal, having given much to
aid in the many improvements made in his section of the country. He is one of the citizens of California, who, by his industry, integrity
and well-directed efforts, has risen to an enviable position in a business
point of view, not only in Shasta County but also throughout Northern California.
Calvin C. Griffith
…horticulturist, Napa County, who is
one of the oldest pioneers of this place, having crossed the plains in 1845
with the new historical train that brought out the Hudsons,
Yorks and many other well-known names in California,
and that was the first train that brought wagons over the Sierra Nevadas. The
hardships of that truly pioneer journey, the road-making through the mountains,
is all a part of history and need not be enlarged upon here. Yet notwithstanding it all, and despite his
sixty-one years, Mr. Griffith is still a young-looking, hardy, healthy as well
as hard-working man. He was born in Chatham County, North Carolina, the son of James A. Griffith, and
grandson of Mason Griffith, who served honorably throughout the Revolutionary
war. On the father’s side he is of an
old Welsh family. On his mother’s side
the family is English, of the name of Rogers, also an old family, so that it
will be seen Mr. Griffith comes of old families on both sides of the
house. In 1835 the family removed to Macon County, Missouri, and engaged in farming and
stock-raising. The years later, in 1845,
the family set out as already mentioned for the West. Oregon was at first the destination, but
meeting a man at Fort Hall, by name Greenwood, he gave them such glowing
accounts of California that a part of the train, among them the subject of this
sketch, set out for this place, under Greenwood’s guidance. They reached Johnson’s ranch, the first point
in the Sacramento Valley, on October 17, and pushed on at
once to Sutter’s fort, glad enough to get a supply of fresh provisions. The Sacramento River was crossed on rafts, and on
November 1, when at the Yount place in the Napa Valley.
Mr. Griffith’s father rented a portion of the Yount
ranch, now owned by Colonel J. D. Fry, and put in grain. The outbreak of the Mexican war, shortly
after, however, disturbed all plans, and the family was forced to take refuge
at Sonoma. The
following incidents of that contest with its important results and the raising
of the Bear flag, are related fully elsewhere and need
not be gone into here. Mr. Griffith was a volunteer in Fremont’s force, and saw active
service for the greater portion of a year, being at the occupation of Los
Angeles, and later at San Gabriel.
In the spring of 1847 he was finally honorably discharged and returned
at once to Sonoma.
During this war he was first in the company commanded by Captain
Hastings, was transferred at Monterey to that of Captain Sears, and in the
southern country to Captain Hudspeth. He
engaged in farming and stock-raising at Sonoma, although not there
constantly. Mr. Griffith and Ben Moore
were the men sent up to Clear Lake, in Lake Couunty,
after the murder of Kelsey and Stone by the Indians, to look after their
cattle. They found Kelsey’s head stuck
in the window of their cabin. The
Indians, however, did not molest them, but they had some very exciting
adventures. Returning to the Napa Valley in 1853, he farmed near St. Helena till December, 1856. He then went to Sonoma County, near Santa Rosa, and engaged in agriculture until
1871, when he once more came to Napa Valley, after a short sojourn of four
months at Knight’s Valley, and bought land near Rutherford.
He then sold in 1883 and purchased his present place on the eastern edge
of the valley, and where he resides with his family. He raises grapes, having a good-sized
vineyard, hay, grain and stock. For four
years past Mr. Griffith has been Road Master of road district No. 6, having
forty-five miles of road under his charge.
He is one of the most highly respected and popular men of the valley,
known by everyone and regarded by all as an excellent citizen. He was married, September
6, 1855, to Miss Lydia Sensibaugh,
Helena. Mrs. Griffith is the daughter
of Colonel Robert Sensibaugh, who has been a pioneer
of more than one State, and is still living at the good old age of eighty-three
years, in Wise County, Texas, to which place he went from California in
1861. Mrs. Griffith was born in Dade
County, Missouri, in 1838, and came overland with her parents in 1852, residing
from that time till the date of her marriage to Mr. Griffith in Napa Valley.
is of German descent, the son of Adam Sensibaugh. He married the daughter of Enoch Hudson, who
was the father of the well-known Hudsons of Napa County.
Mr. And Mrs. Griffith have seven children
living and three deceased. The names of
those living are: Oliver C., who is at San Francisco; Mary E., now Mrs. Harmon,
and living at Los Angeles: Alice M., the wife of Fred W. Loeber,
of St. Helena, a notice of whom appears elsewhere; Clara A., now Mrs. Taplin and residing near Home; Albert G., farming in Chiles
Valley; George and Jesse both at home.
Silas L. Savage, M. D.
…Livermore, California, was born at
North Windsor, Kenebec County, Maine, August 29,
1842, and was but about fourteen years of age when he removed with his parents
to Lee Center, Lee County, Illinois, where he attended school at the Lee Center
Academy for about three years, when his parents again moved (in the fall of
1859), settling in Auburn, Sangamon County, Illinois, where he commenced the
study of dentistry; and soon after getting into practice he took up the study
of medicine, and graduated at the Homeopathic Medical College of Missouri, in
St. Louis, in 1874, and entered into partnership with the late Dr. W. C. F
Hempstead for the practice of medicine in Edwardsville, Illinois. On account of the failing health of Dr. Hempltead, he removed with him (together with their
families) by rail to California.
Stopped a short time in Marysville, and after going through the
memorable “flood” of January, 1875, he dissolved partnership with Dr.
Hempstead, and located at Wheatland, California, where he did a large practice for
about three years. His health failing,
on account of the unhealthfulness of the climate,
together with overwork, he removed to Santa Rosa, California, and remained three years, and in
January, 1881, came to Livermore in hopes of recuperation by change
of climate, which he partially realized.
Since his arrival here he has practiced dentistry only, in which he has
a good patronage.
He was married March 18, 1867, to Miss Delia C. Hempstead, of Virden, Illinois, and has three children living,
namely: Frank L., Emma. And May L. He is a
member of Mosaic Lodge, No. 218, F. & A. M., of Livermore, and Sutter
Lodge, No. 100, I. O. O. F., of Wheatland. (Pages 313-314)
P. T. Teale
It is not always the life of most
variety and incident that is of the most value to the country, but rather that
of the man who honestly and diligently conducts his affairs, doing fairly and
honorable by himself, his fellow man and his Maker. Yet it is hard for any man who came to
California in the early days not to have seen and experienced a very great
deal, as will be seen in this short sketch of Mr. P. T. Teale,
a worthy and respected pioneer of Napa Valley.
He was born on the island of Santa Cruz, in the West Indies, in 1826, his father being a
manager of a sugar estate on that island, and of English descent. His mother was a native of France.
In 1832 the family removed to America, settling at Lachine, near
Montreal, in Canada, being induced to do so by two uncles, Colonels Anderson
and Viscount, formerly of the British army, serving in the war of 1812, who had
settled in Montreal. After six years in Canada, the family went to Cleveland, Ohio, and two years later to Coshocton County, same State, where Mr. Teale resided until he set out for California, fifteen years later. Here he was married in 1848, to Miss Mary A.
Tucker, daughter of R. P. Tucker, the old California pioneer of 1846, mention
of whom and her brother, especially in connection with their rescue of the
survivors of the Donner party, will be found
elsewhere. They had two children when in
1852 they crossed the plains to California, meeting with the usual hardships
and difficulties, but fortunately coming through safely. Mr. Teale brought
cattle out with him, and came on directly to Napa
County, taking only an interesting look at the mines as they passed through.
He settled at a point first about
three miles below his present place, but nine years later came up within a mile
of Calistoga, and purchased a ranch of 300 acres of as fine and fertile a soil
as any in the world. He still retains
170 acres where he resides, and is passing the remainder of a useful and
well-spent life in a comfortable home, tree-embowered, and the grounds
handsomely adorned by flowers, in one of the most beautiful parts of the
county, surrounded by his children, and respected and esteemed by the entire
community. The spot where his house
stands, by the way, is the site of the oldest building in the upper end of the
county. The spot was chosen by the old
pioneer, John Fowler, as the place to put up his cabin in 1844. Ben Kelsey, John York and the old pioneers
have all lived there. Mr. Teale relates that it was a famous place for game. He has often seen bear tracks on the road
before his house, and up to twenty-five years ago, they used frequently to kill
his hogs. When the first house was built
there four deer were killed within an hour quite near the place. Mr. Teale himself
has killed two California lions inside of a week. He has paid as high, in the early days, as
$30 for a hog, 25 cents a pound for flour, $1.50 a dozen for eggs, $4 apiece
for hens, seed wheat 10 cents a pound, etc.
Such prices did not last long, however.
is a Republican of decided principles, and has frequently been urged by his
many friends to permit himself to be brought forward
as a candidate for office. He has,
however, always consistently refused, preferring rather to serve his country by
attending faithfully to the duties of private life. One of his brothers is a clergyman in the Baptist Church in Washington, and another still resides in Ohio.
Mr. And Mrs. Teale have five children,
viz.: W. R., living at home; George W.,
farming across the valley; Charles, farming near home, and married; James,
farming near home, and Emma, the wife of E. F. Pratt, of Knight’s Valley.
Jonas Clark, M. D.
…Woodland, was born in Waltham, Massachusetts, September 23, 1853.
His father, also named Jonas Clark, was a native of the same State,
while his mother, whose maiden name was Rachel S. Bagley, was born in Brookfield, Vermont.
He was educated at the Waltham school and at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, where he remained three years. He completed his medical course at Harvard
University, where he graduated in June, 1875.
In 1874 he received the appointment of Interne of the Massachusetts
Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary, which position he filled until 1877, thus
obtaining special opportunities in the treatment of the eye and the ear. He arrived in California in March, 1877, and in June
following located in Yolo County, where he has since been engaged in
his chosen calling. He first settled at Dunnigan’s, then at Yolo and Knights’s
Landing, and finally in 1881 opened an office in Woodland.
His competency is well attested by an extensive and lucrative
practice. On the first
of August, 1889, he formed a partnership with Dr. L. M. Gray, under the firm name of
Clark & Gray. During his residence
here he has also paid considerable attention to citrus culture, having a ranch
of 160 acres in Colusa County, where he had at one time a nursery
of 5,000 orange trees; but they were destroyed by the rabbit pest two years
ago. During the present year (1889) he
set out on his land about thirty acres of peaches. He also has ten acres of choice land at the
town of Escalante, at the mouth of Capay Valley, which was planted in 1889 to
The Doctor is a member of the orders
of Knights of Pythias, Chosen Friends, Foresters and United Workmen,--all at Woodland.
He is also a member of the Medical Society of the State of California, the Yolo County Medical Society, and for a number
of years has been secretary of the Yolo County Board of Health.
Dr. Clark was married in June, 1876,
to Miss Nora Tiernay, of Boston, Massachusetts, and
they have two children, John and Marie, aged ten and twelve years
respectively. (Page 315)
…a farmer eight miles southeast of Woodland, was born June 25,
1834, in Pennsylvania, a son of Andrew and Martha
(Bowser) Tauzer, natives of Pennsylvania.
Andrew Tauzer was a foundryman
and iron worker by trade all his life.
He moved to Illinois in early day, settling in Hardin County upon land he purchased there, and
remained until heath. Albert was brought
upon a farm and was twenty-two years of age when in 1857, he came overland to California, leaving Illinois April 2, and arriving at Georgetown August 31. The trip was a pleasant one. He was only one day ahead of where the great massacre
occurred on the Humboldt River. After mining in El Dorado County four years, with moderate success,
he went to Yolo County, and November
homesteaded his present property, 160 acres of choice farming land. He found it entirely wild and has made of it
a complete home. He has now 960 acres,
all in one body. Does
a general farming business. He
has, like nearly all other men, had his drawbacks and disappointments, but his
energy and good sense have carried him victoriously through. In 1887 he suffered a total loss of his
residence by fire.
He was married February
to Miss Mary Scroggins, who died December 21, 1874.
They had five children, four of whom are now living, namely, Anderson B., Ellen, George, John Albert and
Andrew, deceased. Mr. Tauzer was again married in 1880, to Miss Caroline Guy, and
by this marriage there are two children,--Pearl M. and Eleanor R., both of whom are
living. Mr. Tauzer
has a sister in California, who is the wife of J. R. Jones, residing in Yolo County. (Pages 315-316)
Hon. D. B. Carver
…banker, St. Helena, who is the
founder and head of the Carver National Bank.
Probably no resident of this town is more widely or favorably known than
Mr. Carver, as he has held a semi-official position during the greater part of
the twenty-six years of his residence here, having been Postmaster continuously
for about twenty years, and retiring only because of the pressure of duties
involved by the establishment of the bank.
He was also one of the first to undertake the manufacture of wine at St. Helena, being associated for five years,
from 1866 to 1870, in partnership with Mr. H. A. Peller. Mr. Carver is a native of Harrison County,
Ohio, where he was born February 9, 1831. Early in 1852 he set out for California, via New Orleans and the Nicaragua route, arriving in San Francisco, June 4 of that year. For six years he mined in Yuba, Placer, and Sacramento counties, meeting with a fair share
of success. His name is still remembered
in the neighborhood of the town of Folsom, where he mined for some time. After a visit to the East in 1858, he
returned to Tehama County and was engaged in milling until in
1863 he removed to Napa County and shortly afterward engaged in a
general merchantile business, which he continued
until he established the bank six years ago.
It was conducted first as a private banking house until August, 1887,
when it became the Carver National Bank.
Mr. Carver was married August 1, 1860, to Miss Annie
Webber, of Penobscot County, Maine.
One son, D. B., Jr., now a promising lad of sixteen years, is the only
living child of this union; another son, Henry, and a daughter, Laura, being
deceased. Mrs. Carver died on June 20,
1884. Mr. Carver married for the second
time in February, 1886, to Miss Minnie A. Logan, the eldest daughter of Mr. J.
I. Logan, of St.
Helena. They have two sons, the eldest, Ervin L.,
born January, 1887, the youngest, Joseph W., born August, 1889. Mr. Carver is a man of great energy and of
decision of character, public-spirited and in every sense a model business man
and citizen. (Page 316
James Achilles Douglas
The Douglas family are
of Scotch origin. The great-grandfather
of our subject, James Douglas, came from Scotland to the United States long before the Revolutionary war,
and after the war settled in
Albermarle County, Virginia, at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains, five miles from Charlottesville, and near what was afterward known
as the residence of Thomas Jefferson. The
grandfather of the subject of this sketch was a soldier in the Revolutionary
war, and he also had two brothers in the war.
The Douglas family continued to make that section of Virginia their home
until 1839, when the grandfather, with a part of his family, emigrated to
Missouri, two of the sons locating in Cooper County, and a daughter also in
that county, while the grandfather, James, and William J., the father of our
subject, and John J. Douglas, located in Howard County. William J. and John J. were in the war of
1812, and participated in the battle of New Orleans.
Thomas Douglas, one of his grandfather’s brothers, went from Virginia to Tennessee in the early settlement of that
State and remained there. Beverly
Douglas, his grandfather’s brother, also at an early date settled in Kentucky.
William J. Douglas, his father, was a farmer in Missouri, and raised
hemp and tobacco, and died in Howard County in 1875, at the age of eight-seven
years, and his father was ninety-four years old when he died, never having had
a day’s sickness during his life, never eating more than two meals a day and
some days but one meal; he was strong and active, never lost a tooth, and at
the time of his death did not have a gray hair in his head. In William J. Douglas’ family there were
three daughters and one son.
The mother of the subject of this
sketch, whose maiden name was Ann Bridgwater, was
born and raised in Richmond, Vifginia; and her family
is probably of German descent. She died
in Virginia in 1827.
James A. Douglas, the subject of
this article, was born in Albermarle County,
Virginia, on the old plantation, near Charlottesville, March 24, 1827, and therefore was
a babe when his mother died. His father,
being a farmer and a slave-owner, gave James into the care of a favorite black
nurse, who cared for his wants, etc. His
father and grandfather moved to Missouri in 1839, while young James was left
behind and went to school in Virginia until 1842, when he also went to Missouri.
At length he served an apprenticeship of two years and nine months
learning the saddlery business, becoming a competent
journeyman. He did all the fine work of
the shop, some of which was placed on exhibition and drew the first premium in
St. Louis; but he soon abandoned the trade, went to St. Louis and took a
position on a river steamer as second clerk, and at the same time began
studying the science of river piloting.
He was promoted through the clerkships to the position of pilot, where
he commanded a salary of $250 a month.
At the end of five years he bought a drove of mules in Missouri and
drove them to Texas and sold them at a profit; and while he was in that State
he saw the first gold dust from California, brought there in a goose quill, and
he immediately resolved to come to the mining region here. Returning to his home in Howard County, he
found his train had been goon eight weeks; he started in company with John Lowrey, now of Sonoma County, and hurried on until they
overtook the train this side of Fort Hall, in Montana Territory. In Mr. Douglas’ mess were nine men, all young
and unmarried, and full of life. They
landed at Sacramento, August 14, 1849.
During the following autumn they built a cabin at Hangtown and followed
mining there that winter. In the
following spring the company divided, several of them going over on the Middle
Yuba at Washington and mining there during the summer.
In October Mr. Douglas went down to
the bay with a brother-in-law who came a little later,
and another gentleman named Lewis Walker.
His brother-in-law, Allen Rains, disliked this country, and started back
to the East. While waiting for the
steamer at San Francisco, and on the very day it was to
sail, the subject of this sketch was tempted also to buy a ticket and go with
him; and all three went back together.
On board the vessel Mr. Douglas was taken sea-sick, and at Acapulco they
all three left the ship, bought mules and started across Mexico, a distance of
700 miles; while at the city of Mexico they stopped ten days, and hired a guide
to take them all over the old battlegrounds.
At Vera Cruz they boarded a little schooner, which took them and thrity-seven other passengers to New Orleans, being a seventeen and a half days
on the way. In February, 1851, Mr.
Douglas left New Orleans again for California, visiting en route his people in Missouri and coming by way of ship to Acapulco, at which place he and another
party bought a hotel and conducted it for seven months, making considerable
money--$14,000. Coming on to Yolo County he spent the ensuing winter on
Cache Creek. In March he and three other
men went to German Bar on the Middle Yuba, where they had a fine supply of
water and followed mining; and while thus engaged news reached them of a new
place called the Minnesota Diggings, whither 5,000 people
congregated within ten days after the discovery of gold there.
In 1852 Mr. Douglas quit mining,
came down to the valley and again entered the mule trade. He again went back to the Atlantic States in
October, and in the spring of 1853 brought a drove of horses and mules across
the plains to California.
In 1854 he went to Oregon for the purpose of mining, but changed his
mind, and, in company with another man, went to packing, making journeys from
Crescent City, in Oregon, to Jacksonville, and at that time there was a hostile
Indian behind every tree on the trail.
Although he made considerable money in this business, yet it was
accompanied by much hard work and exposure, and within five months he returned
to the Sacramento Valley.
In 1855 he was elected Sheriff of Yolo County, and served four years,
and on October 24, 1860, he married and settled on Cache Creek; but his place
there he at length sold, and he bought a quarter section of land a mile
northwest of Woodland, put up a fine, large residence on it and made it his
home for about seven years. He sold out
again, at a good advantage, and moved to Woodland, in 1878, where he has since
resided. His homestead on Third street consists of five acres. His residence, which he put up in 1884, cost
$10,000, including the ground, and is one of the most elegant in the city. Mr. Douglas is a true type
of a Southern gentleman,--hospitable, genial, social, and a good financier. In politics he was a sound Democrat. He was arrested April 5, 1865, as a citizen
prisoner by sixty United States soldiers and taken to Fort Alcatraz in the bay
of San Francisco, and wore a ball and chain twenty-four days for expressing his
Constitutional rights and was released on May 4, 1865, without any trial by
court either martial or civil, and without any charges being preferred against
him, or without taking the iron-clad oath.
O, justice, what a jewel!
October 24, 1860, is the date of Mr.
Douglas’ marriage to Sallie A. Moore, who was born in Platte County, Missouri,
March 24, 1842, and came to California in 1853, with her parents. They settled first in Sacramento county,
and moved to Yolo in 1857. Mrs. Douglas
died May 24, 1889, the mother of four daughters, the youngest of whom is
deceased. Her death is a great loss to
the family, --a severe one in every sense of the word. (Pages 316-318)
Thomas B. Smith
…a well known and prominent citizen
of Shasta County, came to California in 1853. He was born in St. Louis, Missouri, March 10, 1844.
His parents, Asa and Jane Smith, were natives
His father died when he as a child, and his
mother married a second husband, with whom she and Thomas B. came to California.
He was only nine years old at that time.
Three years afterward, in 1856, his mother died. He remained with his step-father two years
after her death and then started out in life for himself. The family had settled in Jackson, Amador County, and Mr. Smith was reared in the
mines. Much of his life since then has
been spent as a miner. After leaving
home he mined in the summer, in Nevada County, and went to school in the
winter. With others he became interested
in the Hudson River Mining Company, went in debt, and, as the enterprise proved
a failure, he lost not only the money he had invested but also a year and a
In 1863 he enlisted to help put the
rebellion in Company I, Seventh California Volunteer Infantry, for three years
or during the war. After they were
drilled they were ordered to Arizona to fight Indians, to their great
disappointment, instead of being sent to participate in the war for the Union.
In 1865 they were returned to San Francisco and honorably discharged. Mr. Smith then went to Moore’s Flat, Nevada County, and engaged in hydraulic
mining, continuing there until March, 1867.
At that time he came to the western part of Shasta County, and engaged in mining.
December 5, 1867, Mr. Smith wedded
Miss Martha A. McFarlin, a native of Wisconsin, and a
daughter of Mr. George McFarlin, a California pioneer. Their union has been blessed with five sons
and two daughters: George T. and Samuel
E., born in French Gulch, Shasta County; Burton L., Hattie, Fred, Nellie and Harvey were born in western Shasta.
Mr. Smith takes a prominent part in
fraternal societies. He has been through
all the chairs in Odd fellowship; a D. D. G. M., and as such instituted Lodge
No. 271, at Redding, and No. 254, at Anderson.
He has been a member of the Grand Lodge for sixteen years. He is also Past Patriarch and a member of the
Grand Encampment. Is
Past Master of Clinton Lodge, F. and a. M., and a member
of Shasta Chapter, Royal Arch Masons. He
is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Grand Army of
the Republic. In politics he has been a
life-long Republican. In 1880, 1881 and
1882 he was County Deputy Assessor under W. S. Kidder. In 1882 he was elected County Clerk, and in 1884 he was re-elected for
a second term, by a majority of 443.
After having served two terms he was succeeded by Albert F. Ross, and
was appointed his deputy, which position he now (1890) fills. At the general election held November
4, 1890, he
was elected to the office of County assessor.
Mr. Smith is a man of excellent
habits and good business ability. Two of
his sons have grown up to be honorable young men, and hold positions of trust
and responsibility in the city of Redding.
A Memorial & Biographical
History of Northern
Chicago : The Lewis Publishing Company, 1891
Transcribed by Janice Giachino, January, 2007 -
Site Created: 29 January 2007
Martha A Crosley
Rights Reserved – 2007