History of Northern
…a farmer northwest of Davisville, in Yolo County, was born January 9,
the Kingdom of Wirtemberg, Germany, a son of Franz and Margaret Heinz,
natives of Germany.
He was brought up on a farm in the old country; his father being a
blacksmith he learned the same trade, and at the age of twenty, being the only
son and his father over sixty years old, he was exempt from further army
service. In 1849 he sailed from France to America on the vessel Havre, and was
thirty-six days on the voyage. Landing
York he remained there for a short time and went to Philadelphia, and engaged at farm work near by
in Chester County, in the employ of a man named
Robert Brown, for one year at $87. He then
was employed at his trade, blacksmithing and boiler-making, in Philadelphia
until the fall of 1852, when he sailed from New York on the steamer Uncle Sam
for California, by way of the isthmus, on the Pacific side taking the steamer
Cortez, and landing insane Francisco January 6, 1853. In that strange city he endeavored to find
employment for a month, but in vain, and as he was without means h became sadly
discouraged. Board was $13 a week, even
for the plainest kind. At length he
obtained a position in a manufactory of iron doors and shutters, at $5 a day;
but in a month he concluded to go with some friends to Australia and gave up his situation; but the
trip was given up and his occupation gone.
He went to Sacramento and then started to the mines near Colusa on a
steamer, which broke a shaft on the way, and while if it was lying to for
repairs Mr. Heinz met some miners returning who gave discouraging
accounts. He returned again to Sacramento, heart-sick and discouraged. He went to the mines again, only to meet
further discouragement, and even opposition.
After hunting around for some time for employment, he was engaged by
Wallace Barnes, at $50 a month, and he worked for him
six months, but never received a cent of money for it! Next he engaged in a manufactory of iron
doors and shutters at Sacramento; next in a vegetable garden for Mr.
Muldrow until spring, when he again went to Sacramento and engaged in the manufacture of
iron doors and shutters for Radcliff & Company. Thus he was employed until the fall of 1854,
by which time he had accumulated about $400.
Placing this in a
bank, he struck out for the mines at Iowa Hill, where he worked
for a while, only for poor returns. In
the spring of 1855 he went again to Sacramento, only to find that the bank had
failed and all his hard-earned money gone!
This almost uninterrupted series of disasters were enough to drive any
common man insane, but Mr. Heinz still held up his head, and hired himself to a
Yolo County man named Alexander Manor for the
summer. He worked for various parties
until the fall of 1860, when he with a band of sheep, located where he now
lives, upon a half section of land, which he obtained of a squatter, at a cost
of $800; and three years later he bought it a second time with school warrants
of the State of California. He has,
however, continued courageously on until long since he has made a fine
home. His farm is one of the best kept
in that section of the county, and comprises 337 acres. What an example we have, in the sketch of
such a noble citizen, of patience and perseverance!
Mr. Heinz was married December,
1862, to Miss Caroline Weiner, and they had two sons—Charley and Theodore. Mr. Heinz was married again
in the fall of 1871, to Miss Lucia Kuehnel, a native
of Germany, and they have three children, namely, Julia, August J. and Lucia.
Milo Bushnell Pond, M. D.
…has been a resident of California since 1853,
and of Napa for the past twenty-three years,
during which latter time he has been constantly engaged in the practice of the
medical profession. His parents were A.
R. and f. M. (Bushnell) Pond, natives of Vermont, and descended from the original
Puritan stock. They had settled in
Dearborn County, Indiana, where the subject of this sketch was born in 1836,
but afterward went to Illinois, and later still to the county-seat of Grant
County, Wisconsin, where the father engaged in farming in that frontier
settlement, then in the very vanguard of civilization, the son bearing his
share of its labors, and attending the public schools of the town. At one of the occasional school exhibitions,
the teacher introduced a spelling bee on a small scale as one of the
attractions, where young Pond spelled down the school. Among those present were Allen Barber, District
Attorney for the county, and Judge Nelson Dewey; and when volunteers were
called for to defeat the champion, they accepted the challenge. Elevating the boy, then only six years old,
upon a barrel, the contests were renewed.
Each one who failed to spell his word correctly being forced to take his
seat, young Master Pond was again the only one left standing! Frightened by the cheers that arose, he fell off the barrel, and was a last “knocked out”
by the applause that followed his victory!
In 1849, during the excitement
following the gold discovery, his father crossed the plains to California, meeting with the varied
experiences common to those who piloted the prairie schooners of that day over
the almost trackless desert. Following
the usual variety of employments, he first engaged in mining, then ran a
freight boat on the Sacramento River, then back to the mines, and
finally settled in Vaca Valley, Solano County, on a farm. Meanwhile the family, in 1853, fitted
themselves out with ox teams,--one driven by the subject of this sketch and the
other by his eldest brother, Jared James,--and started to cross the plains to
join the father in his California home. Arriving safely, and bringing through with
them the same teams with which they left the States, in spite of the hardships
of the journey and the attempts of the Indians to run off their stock, the
happily united family settled down upon the farm in Solano County.
Here he invested in two scholarships
of the Ulatis Academy, organized and managed by James
W. Anderson, the present superintendent of schools in San Francisco, where he
received the balance of his English education, alternately attending school and
assisting his father upon the farm, mastering Davies’ elementary algebra while
resting his team at the plow. Leaving
the academy he taught school at Fairfield for one year, at the same time
holding an appointment as one of the County Board of Education, which position he retained for
three years. While teaching, he began
the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Stillman
Holmes, then and for some years afterward practicing at Vacaville.
Beginning with 1862, he attended two courses of medical lectures in the
University of the Pacific, at San Francisco, after the first course being
appointed apothecary at the city and county hospital, retaining this position
until1865, and continuing as assistant physician in the same institution for a
year after his graduation. The medical
department of the university having temporarily suspended operations, and the Toland Medical School, now the medical department of the
University of California, opening in 1864, Dr. Pond attended his third course
of lectures there, passing his examination in March, 1865, and receiving his
diploma as a physician and surgeon. In
1870, the University of the Pacific, having re-organized its medical
department, and being about to hold its first commencement, invited Dr. Pond to
an examination and participation in the exercises as one of their students,
where, after passing the usual examinations, he was awarded an ad-eundum degree from this institution.
In 1866 he removed to Napa, where he has since devoted himself
to his extensive practice as a physician.
To Dr. Pond is really die the invention of the split tracheotomy tube,
which enables the operator to explore the trachea for the purpose of cleansing
the throat in cases of membranous croup, or removing the membrane or foreign
bodies that may accidentally lodge in that passage. The occasion of this invention was its
necessity in the case of a child two years old under the Doctor’s care, who had
drawn a watermelon seed into its windpipe.
By means of this instrument the operator can dilate the opening so as to
look down into the windpipe or upwards into the larynx, can use a sponge to
cleanse, or a forceps to withdraw any foreign body, and all under the direction
of the eye. Dr. Pond presented this
invention to the medical society in 1873, with a description of the operation,
which was published in the transactions of that body, illustrated with an
engraving. At the same time he presented
an instrument he had designed for the introduction of sutures in operations in
case of cleft palate and vesico-vaginal fistula. This was a double-curved needle, with an eye
in the point, by means of which sutures were introduced with much greater
facility in these difficult operations than with those needles in common use by
the profession. A cut and description of
this needle was also published in the same volume of the transactions of the
Some years ago the State Legislature
passed an act authorizing the Governor to appoint a commission for the purpose
of selecting a site for a sanitarium for the treatment of consumption. This commission examined every situation of
promise in the State; three of them, Drs. Logan, Gibbon and Hatch (since
deceased) visited Napa, and, with Dr. Pond investigating
the different points in this county, finally confined their endorsement to two
of them, Mount Veeder and Atlas Peak.
More favorably impressed with the latter from the probable dryness of
its atmosphere on account of its great elevation, they still felt that this
advantage might be offset by the presence of the fir timber on Mount Veeder.
Nothing has ever been done by the State toward establishing the
sanitarium; but, feeling the necessity and the advantage to California of such
an institution, and its great value to those needing a dry, equable and bracing
atmosphere and healthful surroundings, Dr. Pond has since acquired 225 acres,
comprising the choice part of this mountain tract, retaining the beautiful
groves of firs, redwoods, madronas and other fine
trees, and clearing off the open space for orchards, vineyards, gardens and
buildings. Here, besides the largest
Japanese persimmon orchard in the northern part of the State, he has a fine
growth of olives, prunes, apricots, peaches and vines, most of them being now
in their first bearing, in all about thirty acres. He will have this year about four tons of
French prunes, 5,000 gallons of finest grades of wine, and other fruits in
proportion. When the natural beauties
and advantages of this tract have been sufficiently developed and the
conditions are favorable, Dr. Pond proposes to erect an institution on Monte Verda (Green Mountain) which shall be a credit and a
blessing to the State.
This busy physician is a member of
the United States, State and County Medical Societies, secretary respectively
of the City and County Boards of Health, and corresponding member
of the State Board of Health for Napa County.
He was largely instrumental in establishing the County Hospital, and was for many years County Physician,
until at last he succeeded in turning over the responsibilities of that
position to one of his own students. He
is a member of the Masonic order. Dr.
Pond was secretary of the first Union League Club organized in Suisun, Solano
County, California, on the evening following the bombardment of Fort Sumter,
and has been a progressive Republican ever since.
The Doctor was married in 1866, to
Miss Josephine E. Everts, daughter of Dr. T. C. and
Maria (Holland) Everts,
who came to California from Indiana in 1856. They have one son, Paul E. Pond, now an
attendant of the Napa College. (Pages 328-330)
…a farmer near Livermore, was born in Lieth
Holstein, Germany, June
28, 1857, and in 1874 came to America, landing at New York, and thence by rail to California.
He went first to San Francisco, to Spanish Town, San Mateo County, near which place he was employed
upon a farm for seven years. Since 1881
he has occupied his present place as a prosperous agriculturist. He is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 62, a. O.
U. W., also of the A. L. of H., Council No. 1,070, and is president of the
Lodge of Sons of Hermann, all of Livermore.
He was married in San Francisco, May
22, 1883, to Miss Metha Biersterfeldt,
and their four children are named Elsie, Emma, Minnie and Metha. (Page 330)
John W. Buck
…an extensive rancher near
Pleasanton, was born in Buckfield, Oxford County,
Maine, December 24, 1858; completed his education at Boston, Massachusetts, in
1869-’71; came to San Francisco and there enlisted in the First United States
Cavalry, as a private in the company commanded by Captain Moses Harris, and
served satisfactorily for ten years, being honorably discharged in the presidio
of San Francisco in 1882. For the next
two years he had charge of the farm of Mrs. Mary P. Woldram,
in Sacramento County.
Next for four years he had charge of the hop farm of Dr. D. P. Durst,
near Wheatland, Yuba County.
Then he was employed by the Omnibus Street Railway Company, of San
Francisco, as a carpenter in their shops, he having learned the trade of
carpentry in the army; and after one year in this relation he located near
Pleasanton, where for the last two years he has been in charge of the Black
estate of 1,100 acres, good farm land, all under cultivation. He has two assistants as foremen. Mr. Buck is not married; is a member of
Pleasanton Lodge, No. 225, I. O. O. F. (Pages 330-331)
…of Woodland, has been a resident of California since 1850. He was born near the town of Inverness, Scotland, and when he was about the age of
thirteen years he came with relatives to the United States, locating in Livingston County, New York, on the Genesee River; there he was an employee upon a
farm. In the autumn of 1829, in
connection with his brother, he located upon a farm near Elgin, Illinois; but
the year afterward, in company with another brother, he began the carpenter’s
trade in Elgin, and after he completed his knowledge of the business he worked
two years in that calling in Chicago, and afterward about Elgin until he
started for California. This trip was
made with eight other parties. Crossing
at a point called Old Fort Kearney, May 5,
they followed the trail to New Fort Kearney, now simply known as Fort Kearney, Nebraska.
The road was alive with people and teams, on their way to the new El Dorado.
As part of the company desired to travel faster than the rest, a
division took place, and Mr. Frazer, who had made new acquaintances among the
immigrants, joined a new company, along with some of his old friends, who were
agreed on the rate of travel, and they appointed a man named Overall, from St.
Louis, captain. As their cattle and
stock had to be guarded during the night, the men were detailed by the captain
for the various duties, day and night.
At one point they paid some Indians, on demand, some flour, sugar and
tobacco, for the privilege of passing through their territory. By the time they reached the Humboldt River they began to experience
considerable hardships for the want of water free from alkali, and lack of
provender for their horses. To obtain
grass they put two wagon-beds together, with wagon-covers underneath, and with
these made their way to the islands in the river, where the desired forage was
found. They arrived at Placerville August 27, having good luck in
getting all their animals through.
Mr. Frazer followed mining the first
three years, suffering a great deal of exposure, and then for a year and a half
he followed teaming from Sacramento, and next he came over into Yolo County and
began farming on Willow Slough, where he and others took up a tract of land
which was not then surveyed. For years
afterward he began running a threshing machine, in which he had a half
interest. Dry weather and short crops
put a stop to this enterprise, and Mr. Frazer sold his farm with the intention
of returning to the States; but before he got under way he changed his mind and
entered the live stock business, in which he did well—by hard work and strict
watch on a number of hard cases, however, until 1864; when he sold out the most
of his stock. The next year, with other
parties, he took an interest in another large band of cattle, as in 1864, being
a dry year or season, any were driven out of the country, and the consequent
scarcity raised prices. He continued in
this trade until about 1878, when he sold out and moved into Woodland, where he has since led an easier
life. In November, 1885, the grocery
house of A. D. Porter was purchased by the firm of Harling,
Frazer & Co., which subsequently became Smith, Frazer & Co., which
establishment is one of the oldest in the city and is unquestionably one of the
leading mercantile houses.
In political matters Mr. Frazer has
been a Republican ever since the party was organized, although not in any sense
a politician. When Woodland was first organized as a town he
was elected a member of the Board of Trustees, and was re-elected for the
second term. He has been a member of the
Masonic order for the past ten or twelve years.
Mr. Frazer was married in 1865, to
Harriet C. McCreary, a native of the State of New York. (Pages 331-332)
…a blacksmith of Woodland, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1835, the son of A. Spencer and
Eliza (Wing) Dunphey.
His father, a native of New York State and a millright
by trade, died in Cook County, Illinois; and the mother, who was born in Canada in 1811, died in Illinois.
When Mr. Dunphey was but two years of age the
family removed to Cook County, Illinois, and subsequently to Jo Daviess County,
same State. April 13, 1852, he came
overland with ox teams to California, and for five years was employed at Sacramento in the trade of blacksmithing. He then went to Cottonwood, now Madison, where he worked at his trade for
seven years, and then he settled in Woodland, where for twelve years he has been
conducting a prosperous business. He
worked for Mr. Knox three years and has now resumed business for himself in Woodland.
He is a man well known throughout the county and has many friends. He has a neat little home on Third street.
June 2, 1860, in Cottonwood, Yolo
County, Mr. Dunphey married Lydia Willard, the
daughter of A. H. and Mary A. Willard.
Her father was born I 1812 in St. Louis, Missouri, and her mother in 1823 in
Vandalia, Illinois; they had seven sons and seven
daughters. Mr. Dunphey
has eight children, the following their names and ages: Spencer, twenty-nine years; Charles, deceased
at the age of fifteen years; Lydia, aged twenty-five, and now the wife of r. a.
Patterson of San Diego County; Eliza, twenty one; Dexter, twenty-three; Lizzie,
died at the age of eight years; Willard, sixteen; and Minerva, twelve. (Page
…a prominent farmer near Pleasanton, Alameda County, was born in Holstein, Germany, May
13, 1831, and at the age of twenty-two, in 1854, he came to America by sail vessel from Hamburg.
Landing at San Francisco, he was employed on the farm in
that vicinity for two months; then until 1865 in Eden Township, Alameda County; then in Washington Township, same county, for three years. In 1868-’71 he was a farmer in Monterey
County; in 1872 he located in Murray Township, near Pleasanton, and followed
farming there about eleven years, when he purchased 650 acres of land where he
now resides. He has about twenty acres
in vines, which yield annually forty to fifty tons of grapes.
He was married in Eden Township, May
25, 1861, to Miss Metta Luders,
and the names of their eight children are:
Ernestine a., Charles H., William F., John H., Matilda M., August A.,
Walter J. and Louise C. Mr. Schween is a member of Industry Lodge, No. 63, A. O. U. W.,
at Pleasanton. (Page 332)
…a thrifty farmer near Pleasanton, Alameda County, is the son of Louis and Elizabeth Nusbaumer, and was born in San Francisco, March
15, 1854. When but a child, in 1857, his
parents moved to Pleasanton (then Alisal), whence at
the end of a few years they moved upon a ranch near the same place, and there
our subject spent most of his time until the age of eighteen, attending school
and assisting at ranching. Next he went
to San Francisco to learn the machinists’ trade, at which he worked during the
following twelve years, when he made several trips to Mexico, at one time
taking down and setting up a lot of mining machinery near Topia,
in the State of Sinoloa. He remained there a year, during which time
the troublesome days of Ramirez, the outlaw and revolutionist, occurred, when
life and property was almost in danger.
On his return to California he engaged in farming, and is at
present cultivating 240 acres; is also a part owner of 900 acres of farming
land in the Vallecitos. He is a young and rising Californian, who
devotes his time principally to farming.
He was married to Miss Pauline Schweer, daughter of Frances and the late Frederick Schweer,
who is also a native of California, being born at Mt. Eden, Alameda County. (Pages 332-333)
John C. Mohr
…superintending a farm of 325 acres
of land near Pleasanton, was born at Mr. Eden, Alameda County, January 5, 1860,
the son of the late Cornelius and Cecelia Mohr, who came to America from
Holstein, Germany, in 1855. He is a
member of Eucalyptus Lodge, No. 243, F. & A. M., at Hayward.
Oliver H. Buckman
…surveyor and civil engineer, has
been for the past six years County Surveyor of Napa County, and since 1880 City
Surveyor and Superintendent of Streets of the city of Napa. He was born in Baltimore County, Maryland, in December, 1847. His parents, Phineas
and Cynthia (Roberts) Buckman, natives of Maryland, though of Pennsylvania Quaker extraction, removed to Iowa in 1845, where they continue to
reside. He received his education in the
public schools of Atalissa, his father owning and
occupying a farm near that town. At the
age of twenty-two he entered upon a course of civil engineering and surveying
at the Iowa State University at Iowa City, graduating at that institution in
1876. Remaining at home for about a
year, he came to California, settling at Napa, where he at once entered upon the
practice of his profession, and has continued here since that time. Besides the ordinary duties of his profession
as a surveyor, Mr. Buckman has been the engineer of
the Napa City water works, of which George F. Allardt was the consulting engineer, and all the details of
construction were carried out under his supervision. He has also superintended all the work done
on the sewerage system of Napa for the past ten years. The racetrack of the Napa Agricultural
Association, which was made famous by the lowering of the stallion trotting
records, and later by the phenomenal performance of the great three-year-old Sunol, was laid out by him.
Experts who were present at the last races pronounced the Napa track equal to any in the United States and superior to most. He was employed in laying out the Villa Verona colony tract near Oroville, and
adjoining the Palmero orange tract. He is now engaged in making a series of
assessment maps for Napa County, showing each separate track of
land in the county, and giving the name of the present owner. This is the first series of such maps, and
will greatly facilitate the work of the assessors. Mr. Buckman
furnished the plans for the sewerage system of Suisun City, which has been in
successful operation for five years. He
has also laid out many of the mountain roads of the county, and has performed
most of the important engineering work of that section for the past ten years.
The Livermore Herald
…is a distinctively local newspaper,
established in 1877 by W. P. Bartlett, its present editor and proprietor. It is the medium of the party of improvement
in Livermore Valley, and has taken a very prominent part in the introduction of
many new industries, such as vine and fruit growing, manufacturing, coal and
chromo mining, which has added so materially to the growth and prosperity of
the country. Personalities and all
matters (including advertising) of a questionable character are excluded from
its columns. (Pages 333-334)
A Memorial & Biographical History of Northern California: Chicago : The Lewis Publishing Company, 1891
Transcribed by Janice Giachino, February, 2007 Pages 327-334
Site Created: 27 March 2007
Martha A Crosley Graham
Rights Reserved - 2007