J. L. Logan
…undertaker and dealer in furniture,
Helena, was born November 5, 1829, at Beaucoup, Washington County, Illinois, the son of David and Margaret
(Phillips) Logan. He remained at home
until he reached his nineteenth year, working upon his stepfather’s farm at
first and afterward learning the trade of carpenter. His education was gained in the country
schools of the section and by diligent toil at night,
winning in this was a thorough training.
In 1858 he removed to Centralia, Marion County, and engaged successfully in the
furniture and undertaking business; continuing this until March, 1864, on
account of failing health, he sold out and crossed the plains with his family.
At the beginning of the war he
enlisted a company at Centralia to go into a certain regiment. He failed to agree with the Colonel, however,
and so went directly to General Logan, and they were mustered in at Carbondale
under him as Company A. At the time of raising this company, Mr.
Logan pledged himself to bring his men all back dead or alive after their term
of service was over; and he did so, at great peril and loss to himself,
although, unfortunately, most of them came home in boxes. The regiment to which the company belonged
was with Grant in the series of his terrible engagements in Kentucky and Tennessee.
Mr. Logan received a commission to visit the battlefields and prepare
and bring back to their friends the dead not alone of his company but also of
the whole county. Although at the time
no civilian was allowed at the front, by daring and skill he obtained an
interview with General Grant, who so much admitted his courage that he gave him
a special pass. He spent thirty-five
days on the battle-field, doing a great deal of good and finally shipping back
no less than thirteen car-loads of bodies of dead and wounded, with their
baggage, who were sent back by special train under his care. Among those were all
his own company save only twenty-two persons, left alive. This deed of heroism nearly proved his end,
for as a result of his efforts he became a severe case of blood poisoning.
Upon recovery, however, he set out
for the trip across the plains, hoping to recuperate on the way. He bought fourteen head of mules and horses
and four wagon-loads of drugs, liquors, etc.
San Jose was his first stopping place, but he soon came up to Oakland and engaged in the real-estate
business there and in San Francisco; yet he suffered serious losses
from the dishonesty of parties whom he had trusted. As an undertaker and embalmer Mr. Logan has
few equals in the State. By means of a
preparation devised by him he was enabled to keep dead bodies almost an
indefinite time, being most successful in preparing them for shipment to all
parts of the world on a special guarantee of perfect condition. Once, on a test, he prepared a body and it
was deposited in the vaults at San Francisco, where it lay for six months, at
the end of which time it was found in perfect preservation,--a fact very
surprising to the undertaker and physicians of the day. In fact, Mr. Logan’s discoveries in this
direction are the basis of the whole modern system of embalming, and aroused
attention in all parts of Europe and America.
Mr. Logan has been very active in all matters of
benefit to St. Helena, as the incorporation of the town, the laying out of a
cemetery, etc. Logan’s addition
to St. Helena was laid out by him on his ranch at the south of town, where his
fine residence is situated.
He was married November
to Miss Unity J. Livesay, of Washington County, Illinois.
They have seven children: J.
Melvin, engaged in the cattle export trade to Europe; M. Hill, a successful
physician of San Francisco; Minnie Adelle, the wife
of D. B. Carver, the banker of St. Helena; C. Mead, a printer formerly, and
proprietor of the Daily News at St. Helena; now engaged with his father in
furniture and undertaking; Aura Pearl, Daisy Bell and Lee Ross, who are at
home. (Pages 341-342)
…a farmer near Black’s, Yolo County, was born November
County, Pennsylvania, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth
(Gilbert) Cunningham, both natives of that State. His father, a tanner by trade for over sixty
years, died in that State in 1885, and his mother died
in 1876. Of their nine children, two
sons are living in California.
In 1859 Mr. Cunningham came by water to California.
For the first year and a half he followed gold mining at Oregon Bar in Placer County.
Then he settled on land about one and a half miles from where he now
lives, and at length he sold it, in 1867, and purchased where he now
resides. The present ranch, of 160 acres
of fine land, is owned by himself and his brother Jacob, and they intend to
devote it mainly to fruit raising. They already have twelve acres of figs and
three of prunes. Jacob was born in Pennsylvania, in 1845, and came to California in 1868. He married Miss Nellie Murphy, and they have
three children:--Maud, Winnie and Jacob.
Francis is yet unmarried. (Page 342)
Hial N. Maybee
…nurseryman and orchardist,
near Lakeport, was born in Canada, August 6, 1835.
His parents were natives of Dutchess county, New York, and moved to Canada, then back to Michigan.
Hial received a common-school education
while at home with his parents in Michigan.
He afterward attended Bacon, Bryant & Stratton’s Mercantile College in Cincinnati, where he graduated in 1859. He then went to Stevens’ Point, Wisconsin, where he engaged in the wholesale
lumber business, in partnership with his brother. He remained in business in Stevens’ Point
until 1865. In the spring of that year
he sold out and went to New York city, where he took passage on the
steamer Golden Rule, which was wrecked on Ronkador,
on French Keys, May 29. There were 1,000
passengers on board, all of whom excepting one escaped to the reef, where they
subsisted for eleven days. On June 9
they were rescued by the gunboat Georgia, and taken to Aspinwall,
from where they came to California and arrived in San Francisco, July 1. Mr. Maybee first
settled in Nevada, Marin County, where he bought land and engaged in dairying
for seven years. In 1872 he sold out and
went to Alameda, where he engaged in contracting and building. In 1876 he went to Buckeye Valley, five miles west of Ione in Amador County, where he engaged in farming and
nursery business. He also worked some at
carpentering, having secured several contracts from the railroad company. In 1881 he returned to Alameda, where he again followed the
business of contracting and building for two years. In 1883 he came to Lake County and bought land two miles south of
Lakeport, where he now resides. He has
forty-one acres of land, which he devotes principally to nursery and small
fruits. He has a nursery stock of about
50,000 trees. He has one acre planted in
strawberries of different varieties, which yield an enormous quantity of
luscious fruit. He also has black
berries, currants and other small fruits, the acreage of which is increasing
each year. He has two fine,
flowing artesian wells on his premises; also an excellent spring from which he
conducts water to his residence through pipes for general uses.
has been twice married. His first wife
was a Mrs. Carpenter, of Lincoln County, Maine, to whom he was married in 1873,
and who lived only a short time after their marriage. In 1885 he was married to Mrs. Meyers, a
native of Germany.
She has two daughters from her first marriage, who are living in the old
country. Mr. Maybee
is a member of the I. O.
O. F. and the A. O. U. W.
Honorable James Kerson
…grocer at Woodland, California, was born in Richmond, Virginia, June 10, 1831, son of William N. and Ann (Brown)
Smith, who moved in 1839 from Virginia to Glasgow, Howard County, Missouri.
The mother died in Virginia about 1833 or 1834, and the father
survived until 1878, dying in Missouri.
Mr. Smith was brought up in the latter State from the age of eight years
to the age of nineteen. In 1850, with a
party from his neighborhood, he started across the plains for California, arriving at Hangtown on the last
day of August. He followed gold-mining,
mostly in Nevada and Yuba counties, until 1868, when
he came to Yolo County.
While living in Nevada County he was elected to the Legislature, serving
during the years 1857-’58, and while in Yuba County he was a member during the
sessions of 1867-’68.
On arriving in Woodland, Yolo
County, he first engaged in furniture and undertaking for a number of years,
and during that time served one term on the Board of Supervisors of this
county, being elected in 1875. In 1880
he was elected County Clerk and served three years: on his election to this office he disposed of
his furniture business. Being a
candidate in 1883, he was defeated by M. O. Harling,
the present county clerk. He then
purchased the interest of C. B. Culver, who was in the grocery trade in
partnership with T. S. Spaulding, and the firm became Smith & Spaulding. In 1885, having become a candidate, he was
elected County Treasurer and served a term of two years;
being renominated for the same position, he was
defeated. He then bought the interest of
M. O. Harling in the grocery firm of Harling, Frazer & Company. He is now a member of the Town Board of
Trustees, having been elected in May, 1888, and is the only Republican member
of the board. He has been a member of
the Masonic order ever since 1854, and has been for the past three or four
years the Masonic Inspector for the nineteenth district. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the A. O. U. W., in
which latter order he is financier.
Mr. Smith was married in 1859 at Nicolans, Sutter County, to Miss Abbie
O. Gilman, a native of the State of Maine, but brought up in Illinois.
She came to this State in 1854 with her brother-in-law, Dr. D. Ray, at
one time a resident of Yolo County.
Mr. And Mrs. Smith have one son and five
In 1887 Mr. Smith made a visit to
his old home in Missouri, which after a lapse of thirty-seven years presented
many remarkable changes, but the most extraordinary change witnessed on the
trip was the difference in the mode of travel between the older States and the
coast, the time being reduced from four or five months to as many days.
During the Fraser River mining excitement, which began in
1858, Mr. Smith was one of the many who repaired to that point, the journey
being exceedingly difficult. He went by
steamer from San Francisco to Whatcom on Puget Sound, and thence by pack animals
crossing the Cascade
Mountains. At some of the points on the way he had to do
considerable excavation in order to make his road, being the pioneer over that
route. It is well known that nearly
every one that went to that region returned without finding anything of value.
the large and beautiful vineyard belonging to Mr. W. B. Bourn in the upper part
of the Napa Valley, is properly considered one of the finest in the
county. It consists of 400 acres of
land, of which 120 acres are in vines, all of fine varieties, about the borders
of which and along the driveways are planted some 500 fruit trees, pears and
cherries for the most part. Since November
it has been under the charge of Mr. Maloney, and shows the marks of a careful
and well-kept place, everything being in a thrifty growth and in apple-pie
order. Along the southern side of the
vineyard, and along the creek that flows beside it, is a massive and altogether
unique wall built of the stones gathered from the surface of the vineyard. Some of it is twenty-five feet wide and six
feet high, representing a tremendous amount of work. The whole vineyard is perfectly drained by
tile laid at suitable distances. The balance
of the estate makes a fine farm, where Mr. Bourn is raising some fine horses
and stock, raising his own hay, grain, etc.
Mr. Maloney, the foreman of this
place, is a native of County Kerry, Ireland, where he was born in 1844. He came to America in 1866, and in the fall of 1867
made his way to California, coming via Panama. He began work in the vineyards at once, being
employed on Judge Hastings’ place, near Rutherford, during 1868-’69. He then pre-empted 160 acres in Spring Mountain and went into the wood business and
the raising of cattle, hay, etc. He then
came to St.
engaged in teaming until 1880, when he took charge of “Rocklands.”
Mr. Maloney was first married in
October, 1869, in Napa City, to Miss Faley. She died in 18--. In May, 1890, he was married secondly to Miss
Kilduff, a native of St. Helena.
He has four children. Neely, the
eldest, is learning the machinists’ trade at the Risdon
Iron Works, San Francisco; Mary, the second child, is learning the dress-making
business in the same city; and the others, Tom, Richard and Nellie, are at home
and going to school. It is needless to
say that Mr. Maloney is a Democrat. He
is a self-made man, well respected wherever known. (Page 344)
C. D. Mooney
…is the proprietor of one of the
leading business houses of St. Helena, and takes rank among her most forward young business
men. He carries on a general grocery and
provision business, buying produce as well, his country trade being excelled
probably by none in the town. The location
of the store is on Hunt Avenue, and during the five years it has been carried
on by Mr. Mooney the business has been made by his energy, enterprise and
popularity a leading one.
Mr. Mooney was born August 26, 1861,
in Jefferson County, New York, where his father, Thomas Mooney, was a
farmer. The latter now conducts the
blacksmith shop a mile below St. Helena. Back East he was
engaged in buying and selling produce and was in general business, but by
signing with another met with serious reverses.
As a result he came to California, where his family followed him in
1874. In March, 1880, in company with
his son, C. D., he put up the blacksmith shop, and was assisted by the latter
until 1883, when on account of a severe kick from a horse C. D. retired and
left the business entirely to his father.
Mr. Thomas Mooney is a native of Ireland, but when nine years old came
with his parents to America, settling near Watertown, New York, where members
of the family still reside. He married a
Miss Reid, whose parents came originally from Glasgow, Scotland, and settled near Kingston, Canada.
They had a family of eight children, five boys and three girls.
Mr. C. D. Mooney, the eldest son,
was brought up as a blacksmith, serving three years at the trade. When he came to California with the rest of the family, in
1874, he went to work first for Mr. Inman, in his nursery. Then in partnership with his father he put up
the blacksmith shop below St. Helena, as already mentioned.
While shoeing a horse he met with a serious accident from a kick, and
was forced to give up the business. In
February, 1883, he went to ranching on a place above town, carrying it on until
October, 1884, when he sold out and in November following began the business
which he is still carrying on. He was
married in June, 1884, to Miss McArron, a native of San Francisco.
They have three children, a daughter and two sons. Such in brief is an account of the life of
Mr. C. D. Mooney, an active, successful and thoroughly self-reliant one. When he landed in St. Helena he had only 50 cents, but he has
made his way since without calling upon any one for assistance, and has made it
well. He has two brothers and one sister
in the county, their names being F. T. and W. D., brothers, and Mrs. Jennie
Tyrrell, whose husband is conducting the Napa carriage factory. (Pages 344-345)
John A. Lechleiter
…manufacturer of all kinds of
farming implements, wagons, carriages etc., at Winters,
is the son of George (a native of Lorraine, France) and Geneva (Krenzberger)
Lechleiter, a native of Germany.
His father is now running a wholesale tobacco store in Lincoln, Illinois.
He was born in 1854, in Louisiana, within fifty miles of New Orleans, and came to California in 1870, landing in Sacramento.
After residing there a year he went to San Francisco and remained there until 1877, when
he married and went to Honolulu.
While in San Francisco he built the omnibus for the Lick
House, and also for the Baldwin Hotel and the Russ House, also many other large
transfer wagons and hacks, and he prosecuted the same trade also in Honolulu.
Returning from the Sandwich Islands in 1879, he opened a carriage shop at Maxwell’s in
Colusa county, in April, 1881, where he flourished for
eight years; and then, in 1889, he settled in Winters, Yolo County, where he has a fine shop and a
prosperous business. The works are run
by a ten-horsepower engine, the model for which he had made by Mr. Williams, of
married Susan M. Webster, a native of Tennessee, in Oakland, November 29, 1877,
and their two children are Emma Elvira, born February 17, 1880; and Frank T.,
August 30, 1881. (Page 345)
…a prominent citizen of Livermore,
was born at Pottsville, Pennsylvania, August 17, 1837; moved with his parents
to Wisconsin, and then to St. Louis, Missouri, remaining there some two years;
then to Wisconsin again, where he was in business until 1850; next to St. Louis
again, where he was connected with the transfer business, until some time in
1852, when he started by ox teams for California. Arriving August 17, he located first in Amador County and followed mining there until
1859, when he moved to Centerville, where he remained about nine
years, and then he came to Livermore, where he has since remained. In 1869 his son, George T., was born, the
first white boy born in Livermore.
Since his location at his present place he has been connected with
hay-pressing and steam threshing throughout this and adjacent counties. Each of his machines gives steady employment
from June to November to seventeen men.
at Centerville, in 1864, was joined in marriage to Miss Margaret Walker. Their children are Margaret, George,
Benjamin, Emma, John, Wesley, Nellie, Bertha and Albert. Mr. Budworth is a
member of Vesper Lodge, No. 62, A. O. U. W., at Livermore. (Pages 345-346)
…fruit-grower and nurseryman,
proprietor of the Napa Valley nurseries, has been a resident of California for the past fourteen years, and of Napa nearly that entire time. In 1878 he began business in a small way in a
nursery on the old Magnolia farm, six miles north of Napa, purchasing the stock owned by J.
M. Thompson, of the Suscol nursery. He pushed this business energetically, until
now his nursery is known all over the State, and he ships stock to points all
the way from San Diego on the south to Shasta and Humboldt counties on the
north. He has now a ranch of ninety
acres, four miles from Napa on the Big Ranch road, known as Sausal
fruit farm, forty-five acres of which are now in orchard five years old, and
seven acres one year old. This is
divided as follows: twenty-two acres in
peaches, fifteen in prunes, French, silver and golden; about seventeen in
Japanese plums, Kelsey-Japan and Satsuma, and one acre planted with a variety
of oranges, berries and other fruits. This forty-five acres he purchased in 1886, but he has
lately added another tract of the same size, which he proposes to devote partly
to orchard and partly to alfalfa, the intention being eventually to make of
this place a model fruit farm. His plans
are fully matured, and he h=now has a fine residence and other buildings
erected that are in keeping with this idea.
Mr. Coates commenced operations in California by working the first year
on the old Magnolia farm, for Professor Heald, and
the next year in different parts of the State, in order to familiarize himself
with the various peculiarities of climate and soil and their adaptability to
different kinds of fruit. Meanwhile an
offer was left open by Professor Heald to furnish him
land to begin work upon. His nursery is
now situated just below Napa, occupying the space between the
railroad and the Napa River for the distance of half a
mile. He will have this season over
150,000 trees for sale, besides a large stock in dormant bud for the following
He was born in Saffron-Walden, Essex, England, in January, 1855. His parents were W. T. and Emma (Harrison) Coates, now residents of Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire,
of which town Mr. Coates, Sr., is the Mayor.
He attended private schools in Bedfordshire, graduating at the
collegiate school at Luton in the same county, in 1870. He first entered mercantile life, in which he
continued for nearly six years, but failing health and the advice of his
physicians decided him in favor of out-door pursuits. Having had a little experience as an amateur
horticulturist, and a taste for study in that direction, his attention was
turned toward California, where he arrived early in 1876.
He was married in 1881, to Miss May
Crow, a native of this State and daughter of A. M. and Sarah (Stark) Crow,
pioneer settlers of California.
They have one child, Ronald, born in 1884. Mr. Coates is a
charter member of the State Horticultural Society, and for three years past one
of its directors. He has lately returned
from a six months’ visit to Europe, during which trip he gave particular attention to the
opportunities of disposing of California fruits and fruit products
abroad. He was lately called upon to
lecture upon these subjects before the Horticultural Society of Yuba and Sutter
counties, and has been invited to address the State Horticultural Society and
the National Grange upon “California Fruits Abroad.”
…one of the old and well-known
farmers of Yolo County, residing near Woodland, dates his birth November, 1821,
in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, a son of Henry and Margaret (Stavely) Fisher.
Henry Fisher was a miller by trade and also followed farming. He moved to South Bend, Indiana, in 1837, and in 1857 came overland
to California and died three weeks after his
arrival here, at the age of sixty-two years.
Daniel, the subject of this notice, was reared on a farm, and lived in South Bend with his parents. In 1844 he started out in life for himself,
going first to Ohio, most of the way on foot, through mud and rain, to Holmes
County, where he learned the trade of weaving figured coverlets, and followed
the same for twelve years, until 1857, when he came to California, that journey
occupying the time from March to September.
The trip was a pleasant one, although the emigrants generally suffered a
great deal, over 500 being killed by Indians that year. On arrival here Mr. Fisher at once rented
land and began farming it. In 1858 he purchased
a squatter’s title to his present home, consisting then of 160 acres, three
miles southeast of Woodland.
In 1864 he made a purchase of 160 more adjoining, and since then he has
had one of the best farms in the county.
It is now well stocked with substantial buildings and other improvements. The land is specially adapted to alfalfa, and
he carries on general farming and stock-raising. In religious matters he is a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and in political a Republican.
In 1846 he married Miss Margaret Shuder, a native of Ohio, and they have four sons and three
daughters, namely: Henry; Emma, wife of
Ira Dopkins; Elizabeth, wife of Alexander Stamp;
Frank; Charles; Amelia, now Mrs. Henry Jeans; and Edgar H. (Pages 346-347)
Joseph O. McKown
…druggist at Livermore, was born in New York city February 11, 1863, the son of Joseph O. and M.E. McKown, of Louisville, Kentucky, who moved to San Francisco in 1869. At the age of nine years he was sent of Livermore, where he received his education,
in Livermore College.
Returning to San Francisco, he became clerk in a drug store
for five years. In 1883 he moved to
Livermore, and was employed six months as a clerk in the drug house of M. A.
Scott, when the proprietor died, and then Mr. McKown
became owner of the establishment, and has since been managing the business
upon his own responsibility, with success.
The Postal Telegraph and the Sunset Telephone have their offices in the
same building, for which Mr. McKown is agent. He has also purchased the stationery business
of G. Beck, and he has other interests in Livermore.
Since February, 1890, he has been Postmaster. Although a young man, he has already made a
splendid reputation for business. In
Freemasonry, he is a member of Oakland Commandery, No. 11, K. T., and of Mosaic
Chapter, No. 66, at Livermore; and he is also a Senior Warden of Livermore
Lodge, No. 218, F. & A. M. (Page 347)
…a farmer at Yolo County, was born January
in Sweden, and sailed for New York in 1852. He lived there until 1859, and then came
across the plains and mountains to California, first locating in Butte County.
In the spring of 1860 he came into Yolo County, and was employed by the man who
owned the place which he, Mr. Anderson, now occupies. He purchased it in 1864, 160 acres of good
March 2, 1873, at Mr.
Wolfram’s place near Black’s, Mr. Anderson married Miss Mary Bopp, a native of Switzerland, and they have a family of
five children: George, Oscar, Andrew,
John and Anna. Mr. Anderson is an industrious citizen, as
nearly all Swedes are. (Page 347)
C. H. Wente
near Livermore, was born in Hanover, Germany, August 19, 1851.
In 1881 he came to America, landing at New York and coming directly to Kansas, where he was engaged in farming
for six months near Topeka.
Then he came to California, stopping in San Francisco and in Contra
Costa County for a short time, and then he was engaged in the vineyard and
winery at St. Helena, Napa County, for a year; then he was in the same business
in Lake County; and finally, in 1884, he went to Livermore and purchased a
vineyard of fifty acres, twenty-eight acres of which were in vines five years
old and yielding 120 tons of grapes annually.
At the present time the same acreage yields more than that. He has a large winery on his farm, and last
year made 50,000 gallons of wine, and increased the capacity 20,000 gallons
this year, a large portion of which is shipped to New York and Philadelphia;
besides, he supplies a large local trade.
Now the entire farm is a vineyard.
He has his bottling department and office at 33 Post Street, San Francisco.
Twenty acres are in the highest type of clarets and white varieties.
August 19, 1884, in Oakland, he
married Barbara Trautwein, and they have three
children living, namely, Ida M., Caroline F. and Charles F. (Pages 347-348)
and wine manufacturer of Livermore, is a native of Ticino, Switzerland, born February
14, 1838. He was educated and taught school there until
1886, when he came to America, landing in New York.
He came by steamer, by way of the Isthmus of Panama, to California, arriving August 28, and remained
in the city of the Golden Gate four months. Spent some time in
Sonoma County, returned to San Francisco, engaged in a wine cellar for a year;
about 1871 he went to the Napa Valley, where he was employed by Mr. Von Bever, in a wine cellar, and there made the first 5,000
gallons of wine that was stored in what is known as “Uncle Sam’s Cellars.” Von Rever’s
establishment, now owned by C. Carpy, is a present
the largest of the kind in Napa Valley.
From Napa Mr. Bustelli went to St. Helena,
where he was in the same business three years; and in 1884 he came to Livermore
and purchased property, in partnership with Mr. Aguillon,
and now, under the firm name of Aguillon & Bustelli, he is engaged in the business already
mentioned. Their output of wine in 1884
was 60,000 gallons. Since then they have
made 70,000 to 80,000 gallons annually, and this year (1890) their product will
exceed 100,000 gallons, the most of which will be disposed of by wholesale, a
few thousand gallons being consumed by the local trade. They also have a distillery, in which they
manufacture a fine quality of grape brandies.
Mr. Bustelli is a member of the fraternities
of F. & a. M., I.
O. O. F. and K. of P. (Page 348)
A Memorial & Biographical History of Northern California: Chicago : The
Lewis Publishing Company, 1891
by Janice Giachino, March, 2007 Pages 341-348
A Crosley Graham
Reserved – 2007