History of Northern California
1891
Biographies

Note: Use CTRL-F to Search

 

RUSSELL DAY, a Yolo viticulturist, was born April 27, 1817, in Auburn, New York, a son of Lot Day. The father, a native of New Jersey and a tanner by trade, moved to Hamilton County, Ohio, where Cincinnati now stands, in 1817; in 1820 to Wayne County, Indiana; in 1830 to St. Joseph County, same State, where in 1842 he was elected sheriff of the county and served two terms, or a total of four years. During his second term he was appointed State Marshal for the northern part of the State. In 1847 he was elected State Senator by his district, and he served two years; and in 1850 he came across the plains to California. He was a resident of Stockton until 1860, when he moved to Woodland and remained there among his children until the fall of 1872; then, at the age of eighteen years, he went to Nevada and located a claim twenty- five miles south of Halleck’s Station; but his health failed and he died there in March, 1874, at the age of eighty-three years. His remains were brought back to Woodland and laid at rest in the cemetery there. He had always been a prominent man in political circles, and energetic in all of his business relations.

Mr. Russell Day was brought up to the tanner’s trade and followed the same until 1840, when he entered the brick trade and began contracting for buildings, and continued in the same until 1851. He then was engaged by the Chicago & Springfield Railroad Company, to superintend the construction of a branch road running from Chicago to Springfield, and was engaged therein until 1852. April 20, 1853, he left South Bend, -Indiana, for California, and crossed the plains with his father, who had re- turned from California. He located his present property September 10, 1853, taking the land from the Government, and he has been a resident there until the present. He converted the wild and desert- like place to the neat, attractive and fertile farm that ii now is. He also has run a tine dairy, but is now turning his attention more especially to the raising of wine grapes, and is a stockholder in the Yolo Winery. His farm is now all a vineyard. It is situated thirty miles southeast of Woodland, a good gravel road existing between his vine- yard and the town. He is a member of Wood- land Lodge, No. Ill, I. O. O. F., and is next to the oldest member of this order; he is also a member of the Encampment. He once visited the spot where Woodland is now located with the view of taking a portion of it for a home, but he gave it up and located where he now resides.

For his wife Mr. Day married Miss Abia Russell, a native of the State of New York.  Their children have been : Lot, who was born December 18, 1875 and is now deceased; Russell T., born June 26, 1881. [Pages 714 - 715]

 

JOEL WOOD, a pioneer of 1849 now partially retired rancher, residing near Cadenasso, Yolo County, was born near Nashville, Tennessee, in January, 1823, a son of William and Mary (Goze) Wood, natives of Kentucky. His father, a farmer by occupation, remained a resident of Tennessee until his death; his wife also died in that State. Joel was but six years of age when he went to live with an uncle, and was brought up by him until twenty-two years old. Then, in 1849. in company with his uncle, William Goze, he came across the plains to California by way of the Carson and Lassen routes, arriving at Bidwell’s Bar November 16. There Mr. Wood kept a trading post and ran a ferry across the Feather River until May, 1850; then he opened a store and butcher shop at Rich Bar on the middle fork of the Yuba River and conducted them and followed mining until late in the ensuing autumn; next, in partnership with L. Hibbard, he purchased land ten miles above Marysville and stocked it with cattle and horses; but a year afterward he sold out and he went by the Beckwourth route to the Big Meadows, on the Humboldt River and conducted a trading post and butcher shop there until the fall of 1852. Selling out he again went into Yolo County and settled in the Lamb Valley, where now is located the Orleans Vineyard. In 1854 he again sold out and went up into the Capay Valley, where he was one of the first settlers, being one of the five, and he had the honor of naming the valley. He had the postoflice in 1857, which was called Capay, and at that point he also had a store and blacksmith shop. For a time also he was Constable, and among the arrests that he made were those of the desperate characters James Marble and T. Glass- cock. Ever since his first location there Mr.  Wood has been a resident of that valley. He now resides five miles west of Capay and one mile from Cadenasso, a station on the railroad.  He is now living a life somewhat retired on seventy-five acres of choice valley land, well improved in vines and fruit trees. His children also have about four sections of choice land in the immediate vicinity.

Mr. Wood was married in May, 1853, in Lamb Valley, to Miss Emerine Clark, a native of Missouri, and their children are named and born as follows: William T., deceased; Mary B., born October 17, 1856; Albert B., November 5, 1858; Josephine B., December 12, 1860;

George W., August 1, 1863; Leonard, September 20, 1865; Donald S, May 5, 1868: William S., March 27, 1870; Laura Etta, August 27, 1873: Myrtle, January 4, 1876; Joel E., August 21, 1879, and Maria M, July 24, 1884. [Page 715]

 

ROBERT McDONALD, a farmer of Murray Township, Alameda County, was born January 1, 1837, in New Orleans, Louisiana, and at the age of five years he was taken by his parents to Bonaparte, Iowa, in the Des Moines Valley. In 1850 he came with his parents overland to California, the father, how-ever, dying on the way, and the family stopping at Salt Lake City while he came on to Hangtown, where lie engaged in mining at different camps, following the excitement of rich discoveries; was also one of the victims of the Fraser River excitement. After a few 3’ears he settled down at San Jose and engaged at farming upon land which he had purchased, and continued for fifteen years. In 1867 he sold his farm and re-invested in another, which he held for two years only, when he again sold out and went to Murray Township, near Livermore, where he purchased 160 acres and is now engaged in general farming, but making a specialty of rearing draft horses. His parents, James and Sarah, were natives of Scotland.

He was married in Alvarado, Alameda County, April 19, 1858, to Miss Edna Stuart, and the names of their six children are: Frank, Hettie, William, Lydia, John and Arthur. [Pages 715-715]

 

ROBERT McGLASHAN, a general farmer near Livermore, was born August 15, 1839, in Perth, Scotland, emigrated to America in 1860 and for a short time was engaged in farming near Amsterdam, Fulton County, New York, but in the same year he came on to California, by way of the Isthmus of Panama, landing at San Francisco. For the first seven years he was engaged in agricultural pursuits in Washington Township, Alameda County; the next four years lie was at Salinas, Monterey County; in 1871 he went to Livermore and followed farming there ten years; then he was two years in Solano County, and finally returned to Livermore and purchased 370 acres of land, where he resides. He has forty acres in vineyard and eighteen in fruit- trees, all bearing. He is a member of Salinas Lodge, No. 204, F. & A. M. He was married in San Francisco May 1, 1867, to Miss Margaretta J. Webb, and they have eight children, whose names are: Andrew A., John W., Robert P., Isabel C, Adele £., Alfred L., Margaretta P. and Harry S. [Page 715]

 

DENNIS SPENCER, attorney at law, has been a resident of California since ^^ 1852. He was born in Missouri, August 22, 1844, his parents being Dwight and Eliza (Kirby) Spencer, who removed to California in 1852. His father, however, had come here across the plains in 1849, with the first great rush of emigration to the gold fields. He was a millwright by trade; and after his arrival here he built a quartz mill in Amador County, one among the first built in the State. He brought some live-stock with him from Missouri, and acquired large stock interests here, supplying meat to some of the large mining camps. He accumulated considerable property, having large numbers of domestic animals in San Joaquin Valley. He purchased 160 acres adjoining the town of Napa, part of which is known as Spencer’s addition, and a part is still in possession of the family.

Mr. Dennis Spencer for three years of his youth attended Santa Clara College at San Jose; then he engaged in the study of law in the office of Wallace & Rale at Napa, and afterward in the office of Pendergast & Stoney, and was admitted to the bar of the district court in 1870.  Alter about one year’s practice he attended law school at Albany, New York, in 1872-73, graduating in the summer of the latter year; and he was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the State of New York May 15, 1873, and to the Supreme Court of California April 13, 1874. In 1873 he was elected District Attorney, and later was re-elected for two succeeding terms. In 1879 — ‘80 he was nominated by the Democrats for the Assembly against Hon. Chancellor Hartson, now deceased, and the contest was probably one of the hardest ever waged in this county. Mr. Spencer was defeated by only eleven votes, in this, a largely Republican, county. In 1882, in the Stonemau campaign, he was a candidate for the Senate from the Twentieth district, and was elected by a large majority. In his four years’ term in the Senate he did yeoman service in that most exciting political period. He was one of the most prominent figures in the discussion and management of the railroad tax question, and also in the riparian and irrigation problems.  During those four years there were two extra sessions, in which these came up so prominently and were the all-absorbing questions of the State. He was also adverse to the displacing of the Supreme Court, on the theory that it was against the policy of our Government for one bench to interfere with a co-ordinate branch of the Government.

After the close of his Senatorial term, Mr.  Spencer was elected a delegate to the National Convention that nominated President Cleve- land, and was appointed Chairman of the California delegation. He was mentioned very prominently for the office of United States District Attorney for the Northern District of California. His defeat was probably brought about by the bitterness engendered in the Democratic party in the Stockton Convention. His name has been prominently considered for Congress in the councils of his party, but he has steadily refused to entertain a proposition in that direction, and has since devoted himself exclusively to the practice of his profession.

He is a member of Napa Lodge, No. 18, I.  O. O. F. He was married in 1874, to Miss Ellen E. Spencer, a native of the Sandwich Islands, a daughter of Captain Thomas Spencer, a prominent business man of Hawaii. They have four children now living: Lloyd, Kate J., Helen T.  and Niles Searles. [Page 715-716]

 

PHILIP H. McVICAR, a general black-smith at Livermore, was born in the town of Sidney, Nova Scotia, July 12, 1857, and learned his trade there. In 1875 he came to California and worked at the same a year, and then was in Australia a year, and, returning, located at Livermore, where he was employed as a journeyman in the shops of Taylor & Son, and C. P. Heslipo. He after-ward bought out the latter and conducted the shop until 1863, when he sold out and went to Byron, Contra Costa County, purchased the shop of F. Phelps, and did business there a year; and then sold the establishment back to Mr. Phelps, went to Livermore and purchased the shop and business of Earson & Merick, where he has since carried on a general repair shop for blacksmithing on wagon work, machines and agricultural implements. He is a Republican and active in political matters. He was married in Livermore, December 14, 1880, to Miss Ella Hilton, and they had two children, both of whom, as well as the wife, are now de- ceased, — the latter dying September 14, 1886.[Page 716]

 

MAAS LUDERS, an extensive farmer near Livermore, was born in Holstein, Germany, January 27, 1837; in 1853-‘57 he followed the sea, and in 1858 landed in New York and came thence by sailing vessel, the Henry Brighton, around Cape Horn, to San Francisco. He went directly to San Lorenzo and thence to Mt. Eden, where he worked as a farm hand until 1865. About this time he rented a farm and conducted it upon his own account for three years; then he rented a ranch near Livermore, while renting another near Haywards, and his time was occupied in super- intending these until 1881, when he purchased 640 acres of fine land near Livermore, where he now resides, having all this large farm under cultivation. He is a Republican, but spends no time at politics; he is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 62, A. O. U. W., at Livermore.

He was united in marriage November 22, 1872, in San Francisco, to Mrs. Mary Higmau, who had one child, named August. [Page 716]

 

W F JEANS, poultry-man near Woodland, was born in Vacaville, Solano County, this State, March 18, 1854, a son of T. J. and Isabel (Hoyle) Jeans. Father was a farmer by occupation, lived in Missouri, his native State, until 1851, when he came over- land to California. A short time afterward he returned to Missouri, and in 1853 recrossed the plains to the Golden State. He is now a resident of Woodland, aged sixty-seven years. The subject of this sketch was brought up on he farm, but since the age of seventeen years he has been employed with machinery, in which a has exhibited great talent. He has invented a number of useful devices which have been patented, and some are in use in the large harvesters of the coast. One of these is a spreader, operating upon the grain going to the machine, and is considered almost indispensable nowadays. The patent right is now owned by Byron Jackson of San Francisco. Another device is a sack-holder, now in use two years, which saves one man’s labor in connection with the harvester. For the past year, however, Mr. Jeans has been giving his attention to the raising of thorough- bred chickens, — White Leghorns and Plymouth Rock, — at ills place two miles southwest of Woodland. Both varieties are of the single- comb strain. Mr. Jeans has also invented an incubator, which promises to be a success; it will soon be placed upon the market.

He was married in 1887 to Miss Lottie Copland, a native of California. Their children are Jessie and Raymond. Mr. Jeans is a member of the I. O. G. T., at Woodland. [Pages 716-717]

 

ROBERT H. STERLING, who has been prominently identified with the real-estate and insurance business of Napa County since 1866, has been a resident of California since 1849, and of Napa since 1852. He was born in New York City in 1829. His parents were David and Emma (Waterman) Sterling; his father, a native of Bridgeport, Connecticut, was at that time a book publisher, doing business under the firm name of Sterling & Strong.  His mother was a sister of Captain Robert Waterman, who came to this coast in 1850, in command of the steamship Northerner, one of the early Panama liners. While Mr. Sterling was an infant his parents removed to Bridge- port, where he was brought up, receiving his education in the public schools of that city.  At the early age of fourteen years he shipped before the mast in the ship Natchez, making the trip around the world in nine months and twenty-six days. He followed the sea until the breaking out of the excitement consequent upon the discovery of gold in California, when he came around the Horn as a passenger in the ship Tarolinta, arriving in San Francisco July 6, 1849. Among his fellow passengers by this vessel were William S. O’Brien, later of the firm of Flood & O’Brien, the well-known millionaires of the Pacific coast. Dr. J. C. Tucker, of Ala- meda, Daniel Norcross, of San Francisco, and others who have become more or less prominent in the history of the State. Engaging in mining, he was soon taken sick and returned to San Francisco, where he shipped as first mate on the Tarolinta for a voyage to Shanghai. He returned to San Francisco in the following spring with health perfectly restored, and took charge of the stores hips of the Pacific Mail Company, and also of the stores of Stevens & Bancroft, which position he held for a year, and then returned to the East, where he remained for another year. Returning to California, he located in Napa County, and has resided there ever since, first engaging in the stock business, raising horses, cattle and sheep in partnership with Captain A. A. Ritchie, in that part of Napa County which has since been set of as Lake County. In 1858, the death of Captain Ritchie requiring the sale of the stock to close up his estate, Mr. Sterling embarked in the lumber business in Napa City, in which he continued till 1866. He then engaged in the real-estate and insurance business in connection with the office of Assistant Assessor of Internal Revenue, which office he held until it was abolished in 1874. In 1881 he was appointed Deputy Col- lector of United States Revenue, serving until the change of administration in 1885, since which time he has devoted himself exclusively to his private business.

Mr. Sterling married in 1854 Miss Lydia J.  Wheaton, of Guilford, Connecticut, daughter of Captain W. N. Wheaton. They have one daughter, Julia H., now the wife of Horace L.  Hill, of San Francisco. He is a member of the Masonic order. Mount Lodge, No. 18, and of the Royal Arch Chapter, No. 30, both of Napa; a life member of the Society of California Pioneers, of San Francisco; and also of the Board of Supervisors of Napa County. Mr. and Mrs.  Sterling are attendants of the Episcopal Church.  Always an earnest supporter of Republican ideas and of that political party, he was one of the first Board of Trustees of the Napa State Insane Asylum, of which the late Judge Chancellor Hartson, James H. Goodman, Dr. John F. Morse, of San Francisco, and John H. Jewett, of Marysville, were also members. This board had the control of the building of this institution from its inception, and under their supervision the buildings were nearly completed and partially occupied. Mr. Sterling and the majority of that board were reappointed for a second term, but soon afterward a change of political administration took place in the State, and the Republican board was legislated out of office.[Pages 717-718]

 

JOHN H. MILLER is one of the prominent business men and physicians of the city of Redding, Shasta County, California. He was born on a farm near the village of Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan, July 2, 1842, his father. Captain John Miller, having been one of the first settlers of that county.  The house in which he was born was a two- story, strong, block log house that his father had built in the forest. The logs were hewed and laid close together, and the windows were provided with heavy wooden shutters. His father used to drive his ox team twenty-five miles to Detroit for supplies, going through the forest and fording rivers. While absent on a trip of this kind at one time the Indians carried away stock, stole their corn and made havoc of the country in general. His mother, secure in her stronghold, escaped unhurt.

A fact worthy of note in the history of the Miller family is that three generations of John Millers carried arms in defense of their country. Our subject’s grandfather, John Miller, when a young man enlisted in the Continental army and aided in driving King George’s red coats out of America. At the close of the Revolutionary war he settled at Albany, New York. His son, John Miller, was born near Auburn, same State, in 1792. This son, the Doctor’s father, was a captain in the United States forces in the war of 1812. Our subject attended the district school of his native place in winter and worked on his father’s farm in summer, thus becoming inured to work, and in that primitive log school-house laying the foundation of an education which has been of so much value to him in after life. In 1861 the great civil war burst upon the country, and in 1862 the call for volunteers to put down the rebellion became urgent. At that time young Miller had attained his twentieth year, and the fires of patriotism that burned in the breast of his sire and paternal grandsire would not be downed, and he was irresistibly impelled to enlist in the service of his country. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Twenty-second Michigan, that grand regiment that carried its colors so triumphantly on so many battle-fields, and after three years of hard lighting victoriously returned the old flag, though shot to shreds, to the State. About the first of October they were sent to the front, and soon gained the reputation of being one of the first regiments from Michigan. They participated in the battles of the Army of the Cumberland, and at the battle of Chickamauga the regiment did valiant fighting and suffered fearful loss. The last year of the war Dr. Miller was at General Thomas’s head- quarters, and was chief clerk of the commissary for the staff of General Thomas. At last the war closed and victory came. After three years of service in a most sanguinary war, in which several hundred thousand good men on both sides went down in death, John H. Miller, a veteran, was discharged.

He finished his education in Buffalo, New York, and graduated in medicine in the spring of 1877. He soon after began the practice of his profession in the oil regions of Pennsylvania, remaining there three years. During that time he operated largely in oil. In 1880 he came to California and to the new town of Red- ding. Being pleased with the location he decided to make it his home. He at once began his practice and became interested in the growth and improvement of the town. In all his undertakings he has met with eminent success, has a good practice and owns a nice drug store.  The Doctor has also interested himself in horticulture on his ranch of 160 acres, which is located four miles east of Redding. On it he has planted a great variety of fruits: prunes, almonds, peaches, Bartlett pears, cherries, apricots, figs and grape vines.

In 1866 Dr. Miller married Miss Elizabeth Hughes, who was born in France of English parentage. They have four children, three sons and a daughter, all born in Pennsylvania, viz.:

Charles H., Edward H., Harold A. and Ethel E.  The family are Presbyterians. The Doctor is a trustee and an elder in the church and aided in the building of their house of worship. He is also Superintendent of the Sunday-school, and it is with pleasure that one notes the lively interest he takes in the children of the city.  He is a Republican, a G. A. K., and a member of the Masonic fraternity. [Pages 718-719]

 

JOSEPH SUAZA, a farmer near Pleasanton, Alameda County, was born at St. George, Western Islands (in the Kingdom of Portugal), August 26. 1847, and in 1868 chose the sea as the arena whereon to earn His livelihood; he was four years before the mast. In 1872 he came to San Francisco by way of Panama, and proceeded to Livermore, where for three years he worked at farm labor. He then purchased 155 acres of land near Pleasanton, in Murray Township, where he has since been ranching.  June 15, 1884, he left on a visit to his native island, where he married Mary B. Suaza, and he brought her to his California home. They have six children living, namely: Mary, Louisa, Manuel, Joseph, Andrew and Johnnie.  [Page 719]

 

EBENEZER MAJOR, a well and favorably known farmer near Winters, was born March 19, 1826, in Amsterdam, Montgomery County, New York, the son of John and Jane (Maxwell) Major. His father, a farmer by occupation, resided all his life in his native State, New York, dying in 1857, at the age of sixty-five years; the mother also died there, in 1864, at the age of seventy- three years. In their family were seven sons and five daughters.  At the age of seventeen years Mr. Major, the subject of this sketch, began to learn the carpenter and joiner’s trade, which he mastered and followed in New York until 1851, when he came by way of the Isthmus to California. He had to wait thirteen days at the Isthmus for a vessel, which when it came proved to be the German bark Cornelia. He had to pay $300 for cabin passage. After being out about five months the water was exhausted and the ship was obliged to put into land, the nearest port being 500 miles distant. When they arrived they found themselves in Acapulco, and here Mr.  Major found the steamers Golden Gate and Panama. Taking passage on the Panama, he paid $100 for passage to San Francisco, at which port he arrived in about ten days. Three weeks afterward he went down the coast forty miles on a schooner, and was employed about a month upon the ranch of a Mr. Gates, running for him the first mower and reaper ever brought to the coast. Then he followed mining two months at Mormon Island; stopped six weeks in Sacramento; mined again two months at Galena Hill; went to North Bar on the Feather River, met his brother David there, who had crossed the plains in 1850, and worked with him about eighteen months, and for a short time on Rapid Creek, etc.; three months on the South Yuba; and then David went into Yolo County and took a claim southwest of Winters upon what afterward became the Wolfskill grant, and while there he met his death by being drowned in the Sacramento River, resulting from walking out upon a plank after dark to board a canoe; his body was found the next morning.

Ebenezer followed mining in different places for about eight years, in which he was success- ful. He purchased his present place by obtaining a squatter’s claim thereto in 1856. He has made upon it all the improvements now visible there. It comprises 170 acres of choice land, well improved, where he raises hay, grain and live-stock, two miles east of Winters. In his political views Mr. Major is a Republican.  December 27, 1884, he met with a serious accident. A horse struck him on the hip with his knee and so severely injured the part that Mr.  Major still walks with a limp. [Page 719-720]

 

RICHARD OWENS, a successful citizen and rancher of Tehama County, is a native ^^ of Wales, born October 8, 1836, the son of William and Ellen (Williams) Owens, both natives of the same country. They were the parents of five children, four of whom are now living. Mr. Owens, our subject, came to America in 1857, when twenty-one years of age, and worked in the State of Wisconsin for two years. In 1859 he came to Tehama County, where he has improved his fine ranch and since resided. He purchased 400 acres first, then took the homestead, in 1866, and later 285 acres was purchased, and he now has 1,085 acres of choice fruit land, with a nice dwelling-house and good farm buildings. Their home is surrounded with flowers and shrubs. He built his present residence in 1872.

In 1865 he was married to Miss Ellen Jones, a native of his own country. Their union has been blessed with four children, all born at their home and all living excepting one. Their names are: Mary Jane, Richard Roy and Vera Edna. The one they lost, their eldest, Maggie Ellen, died at the age of two years.

Mr. Owens is raising on his ranch hay, grain and stock. He has sown as high as 400 acres in a single year, and he has harvested 6,666 bushels in a year. He is breeding improved Clydesdale horses and Durham cattle.  Mr. Owens purchased a portion of his place from a man who camped on it under a tree, and was there shot by Indians. The early days of trouble and danger have passed away, and the residence with its flowers and well-tilled fields and line stock take the place of the rude life of the past. Mr. Owens now goes over his ranch on a swift gray horse, without danger from the Indians. He is a Republican in his political views, and is now one of the substantial farmers of that section. [Pages 723 - 724]

 

JAMES T. LILLARD, deceased, formerly the proprietor of the Lillard House at Davisvilie, was associated with the history of Yolo County since its earliest days. He was born in Harrodsburg, Kentucky, a son of Thomas and Eliza Lillard, natives also of the same State. Left an orphan at the age of twelve years, he was with relatives until he was eighteen, when he served a year in the Mexican war, under Doniphan. He then was at his native home until 1849, when he came overland to California, in company with Hudsby, the man who established Hudsby’s Cut-off on this trip, which occupied the time from May to September.

Mr. Lillard followed mining two years on the Yuba River; then conducted a hotel at Washington, Yolo County, two years; the next two years he was employed by J. C. Davis, at Davisvilie, which place was named after Mr. Davis; and finally Mr. Lillard purchased 600 acres of land and engaged in agricultural pursuits, continuing until 1885, when he sold out and moved to Davisvilie and built the Lillard House, of which he was proprietor until his death, which occurred January 6, 1889. He was a member of the Pioneer Society and of the I.O. R. M. He was married in 1854, to Miss Mary A. Mear, now deceased. By that marriage there were two children: Henry R., de- ceased, and Eliza, now the wife of Rerlan Seasel.  Mr. Lillard was again married, October 21, 1861, to Miss Susan S. Hoy, a native of Kentucky, and they also had two children: James J. and Edna A., both of whom are now deceased. Since the death of her husband Mrs.  Lillard has conducted the house, and in such a manner as to maintain its good reputation. It is situated at the foot of Main Street near the depot, and is well known to the traveling public. [Page 724]

 

W C SCHWEER, a prosperous farmer of Alameda County, was born in Murray Township, this county. May 28, 1865, and was a boy when his parents moved with him to the town of San Leandro, where he was a pupil in the free schools until 1874, when they removed to Murray Township, and there our subject completed his school education. In 1880 he became a farmer and for a number of years past has been managing a large farm for his widowed mother, comprising several hundred acres of rich laud. By perseverance he has brought it to a high state of perfection, making it one of the best improved farms in that section of the country. He is a Republican and takes a prominent part in local politics; in 1888 he was a delegate to the county convention. He is yet unmarried and not a member of any secret organization. [Page 724]

 

ALBERT KOOPMAN, a prominent rancher near Pleasanton, has a farm of 300 acres two miles northeast of the town in the Amador Valley. He was born in San Francisco, this State, June 28, 1806, and when very young his parents moved to Pleasanton, where he grew up and was educated, completing his school days at Livermore College in 1879, since which time he has been an occupant of his present farm. Thirty acres of his place is in vine-yard, which averages three tons of grapes to the acre. The product he sells to the wineries. He also has fifteen acres of orchard in a good variety of fruit; the remainder of the farm is utilized in general agriculture and stock-raising.

The subject of this sketch is the son of John and Catherine Koopman, natives of Holstein, Germany, who came to America in 1852; the father died in 1873, and the mother is still living, a resident of Alameda County. Mr. Koopman, at San Francisco, August 27, 1887, married Miss Dinah Fieldman, of Pleasanton, and they have an infant daughter. [Page 724]

 

W1LLTAM H. AND BENJAMIN F.BURLAND are the enterprising and hospitable proprietors of the well-known Rose Hotel in the flourishing town of Pleasanton, in the Amador Valley. The building, which is conducted as the only first-class hotel in the place, is a large three-story frame structure, well ventilated and furnished, and is patronized by the health and pleasure seekers of San Francisco and other Bay cities. The grounds are well shaded by handsome trees and shrubbery, with croquet plats, etc.

The senior member of the firm was born at Sacramento, May 10, 1857, and was three years of age when his parents moved to Watsonville, where his younger brother and present partner was born. Their parents were Robert and Jemima (Hudson) Burland. The father was a native of Boston, Massachusetts, where he was reared and educated and learned the cabinet- making trade. He came to California in 1849, by way of Panama, and was engaged in mining several years. The mother, a native of Iowa, crossed the plains to California in 1850; they are both still living. William H. was educated at Watsonville, and was employed as a clerk in a general store until 1877. He then went to Seattle, Washington; returning to Watsonville three years later, he remained until 1889, being for a time in charge of one of the grain-ware- houses of that place. Next he purchased the stock of the Watsonville Transfer Company, enlarged the business and gave employment to a number of men for three years, and handling also all the outside l)U8iness of Wells, Fargo & Co.’s Express. He sold out this place to a good advantage, leased the Scott Hotel and conducted it fir two years. Then he engaged in the buying and selling of stock in the interest of J.  Lincott until 1889, when he moved to Pleasanton and took charge of the Rose Hotel.

He was married at Irvington, October 15 1880, to Miss Ida Livley, a daughter of Joseph Livley, M. D., who came to California in 1850.  They have one child, a daughter. Mr. Burland politically is a Republican and takes an active part in local politics, and fraternally he is a member of Fajaro Lodge, No. 110, F. & A. M.  at Watsonville. [Page 724-725]

 

JOHN K. SCHUERLEY, a farmer near Woodland, who is widely known for his generous disposition, good humor and cordial sociability, was born June 1, 1831, in Wiirtenberg, Germany, a son of Bernard and Mary (Mains) Schuerley. His father, a farmer by occupation, died in Germany, his native country, in 1846, at the age of sixty years.  John K. was accordingly brought up to farm life, and was educated at a governmental agricultural college, spending three years at the institution. The ensuing three years he was foreman of a large estate in Switzerland, owned by a German nobleman. In 1854 he emigrated to America from Havre de Grace, landing in New York after forty-two days’ voyage, and forty-two persons died of the cholera on the way across the sea. He went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and engaged upon a farm near by for two and a half years; then he was employed in the city by a large lumber company, contractors and builders until the spring of 1860. when he re- turned to New York city, and took passage on the North Star for the Isthmus, and thence on the Golden Gate for San Francisco. He first visited Coloma, where the prospect was poor, and then went to Woodland, and soon found employment on the farm of F. 0. Ruggles near that place. In 1862 he started a brewery, in company with A. Miller. The building was erected at a little distance from where Wood- land now is, and afterward moved to his present location on Main Street in the western part of town. Mr. Schuerley operated the institution successfully until 1880, when he .sold it and moved upon his present property, consisting of 240 acres of choice land which he purchased in 1877, adjoining the city limits; seventy-live acres is planted to choice varieties of grapes.  In 1875 Mr. Schuerley made a trip to Europe, returning in 1876. He is yet unmarried, and his sister. Bertha A. Weber, is mistress of his home. [Page 725]

 

OTTO SCHLEUR, one of Woodland’s enterprising business men, now engaged in a bakery there, was born September 20, 1846, in Hanover, Germany; a son of William and Matilda (Struck) Schleur. His father was a merchant and passed all his life in Germany.  At an early age Otto learned the baker’s trade, and continued to follow it until he came to America in 1866. Landing at New York, he came almost immediately to California by way of the Isthmus. At first, in this State, lie was engaged eighteen months in a bakery at- Washington, opposite Sacramento, at $35 a month.  In October, 1877, he established a bakery at Woodland, in which he has ever since been interested. His institution is a fine one, well patronized. Mr. Sclileur is also a stockholder in the Yolo Brewery, and in the Bulfah Brewery at Sacramento, and he owns eighty acres of choice land near town, devoted to wine and raisin grapes. He is a member of Woodland Lodge, No. Ill, I. O. O. F.

He was married in 1873, to Miss Anna Dinzler, a native of California. Of their eleven children, there are seven living, namely: Tiilie, Eddie, Willie, Annie, Balpli, Birt and a babe unnamed. [Page 725]

 

PHILIP V. WENIG, dealer in fresh and salt meats on Neal street, Pleasanton, was born at Saxe-Meiningen, July 8, 1845, and was reared to the butchers’ trade with his father. Christian Wenig; his mother’s name be- fore marriage was Maria Hasfeldt. He came to America in 1866, and for the first two 3’ears was employed as a journeyman butcher at Baltimore, Maryland, and in 1869 he came by way of Panama to California. After stopping a short time at Hay wards, he followed his trade two years at San Jose, and for two years again he was at Alvarado; in 1873 he returned to Haywards, where he formed a partnership with Adam May in the butcher’s trade, and carried on business there until 1875, and then until 1885 he was at Sunol, when he finally came to Pleasanton, where he has since been prospering in his trade. He raises much of his own stock for slaughter on the 160-acre ranch three miles west of town, which he owns. He was married at Sunol, March 1, 1879, to a native of Holstein, Germany, and they have a son and a daughter. [Page 726]

 

CHARLES N. MORETTE, manufacturer of and dealer in saddles and harness at Pleasanton, was born February 10, 1869, at Middletown, Lake County, California, the only child of J. F. and Christina Morette (now deceased). The father was a native of Luxemburg, and the mother, of Alsace, both in Ger- many. They emigrated to America in 1854 settling at the point named, where the father became an active politician. Charles received his schooling at Shasta, where he began the trade of harness-making, which he finished at Livermore, the family having moved to that place. They subsequently removed to Santa Cruz, where the elder Morette and the son were engaged in a brewery. Returning to Liver- more, the latter resumed work at his trade, and is now carrying a large and handsome stock of] goods, at an eligible location. He has also been connected with the fire department of Livermore for two years. He has traveled some for the sake of seeing the world, visiting Oregon, Washington and many other points in the Northwest. He was married September*^ 29, 1888, and has one daughter, named Christina. [Pages 726-727]

 

H W. KOOPMAN, general merchant at Pleasanton and a prominent citizen of Alameda County, was born at Pleasanton, December 3, 1868, the second son of John and Catherine (Stindt) Koopman, natives of Germany, who came to America in 1860. Our subject completed his school education at the College of Livermore, then spent three years in Europe, returning in 1889, and now he is in company with his brother Albert and his mother, now Mrs. Thiessen, in the management of a large and well-known mercantile establishment at Pleasanton under the name of H. W.  Koopman. Although a young man, he has already, by his industry and fidelity to honest business principles, built up a good and flourishing trade, and is a popular citizen. [Page 727]

 

JOSEPH GERMESHAUSEN, one of the proprietors of the Yolo Brewery and an old time-honored citizen, was born March 25, 1836, in Germany, and came to America in 1854, traveled extensively through the Southern States and Mexico, and settled in Platte County, Missouri, where he remained until 1861. He then came by ox teams to California, stopping first, however, until the next year at Virginia City. He then purchased land near Plainfield, Yolo County, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits there until 1881, on 320 acres of rich bottom land, which he still owns. In 1881 he purchased his present interest in the Yolo Brewery, which establishment ranks among the first in the State. He is an enterprising citizen, and has a neat and tasteful residence on Court street, which he built in 1887. He was married in 1868, to Mss Mary Beck, a native of Ger- many, and they have five sons and four daughters. [Page 727]

 

WILLIAM KUHN, a retired business man of Woodland, was born October 17, 1814, in Prussia, a son of George and Anna (Kena) Kuhn. The father was a tradesman and farmer, and died in 1868 at the age of seventy-six years. William learned the brewer’s trade and followed the same in his native country until he came to America in 1869, landing at New York City and spending only one week there; and then he came by rail to California. First he endeavored in vain to find employment in his line at Marysville, and then at Sacramento, but was soon employed upon a ranch and in a chiccory factory. In the spring of 1871 he began to work at the Columbus Brewery in Sacramento, and after a time for the Pacific Brewery, of the same place; next he conducted a 8ar on J street, between Sixth and Seventh, which place is remembered by many old-timers. In 1872 he came to Wood- land and was employed by the Woodland Brewery; afterward he became a partner with the same, and sustained that relation until 1888, and November 1, that year, he sold out and has lived a somewhat retired life. His beautiful residence on Fourth street was built in 1889, and it is indeed a model of neatness and beauty.  He also has a very fine property adjoining. He is a member of the society of the German I. O.  R. M., lodge No. 124. Socially and as a citizen Mr. Kuhn has attained a high standing, while his business reputation was always un- tarnished. He was married in 1887 to Miss Anna C. Sekaumdoifel. [Pages 727-728]

 

PETER A. TOCKER is the senior partner of the line conducting the well known Fashion Livery, Feed and Sale Stables on Main Street, Pleasanton, adjacent to the Hose Hotel, where they are prepared to furnish lively and fashionable turn-outs at reasonable rates. Mr. Tocker was born in Germany, September IG, 1848, the second son of Christ and Annie (Smith) Tocker. His father died in 1880, and his mother is still living, in the old country. Our subject was brought up as a farmer in his native land until 1872, when he came to America, locating at Monmouth, Illinois. There he followed farming for live years.  In 1877 he came to San Lorenzo, Alameda County, California, and followed agricultural pursuits there for eleven years. During his residence at San Lorenzo be spent one year with his parents and old associates in Fatherland.  On his return to this country he located at Pleasanton and established himself in his present business. He is a member of Eden Lodge, No.  204, A. O. U. W., of San Lorenzo, is still un- married, and is a whole-souled, good-natured German whom it is a pleasure to meet. [Page 728]

 

H P MEHRMANN, of Pleasanton, was born in Buffalo City, Wisconsin, October 17, 1864, big parents being J. F.  and Katherine Mehrmann, natives of Germany, who emigrated to America in 1849. They had two sons: Ferdinand and H. B. The family moved to Chicago, where the latter attended school until 1874, and then they came to the Golden State, locating at Oakland, where our subject completed his education. At the age of eighteen years he began the study of medi- cine with the determination of going up to the head of his profession, and this lie found an easy matter, under the instruction and assistance of his father, in the old eclectic practice. He com- pleted the whole medical course of lour years in the Oakland Medical College, where he became an instructor in physiology and anatomy, two years in each class. After practicing in Oak- land until 1889 he went to Pleasanton, where he has now a lucrative practice. He is also largely interested in a sandstone quarry, two miles southwest of the town of Sunol, which is 4pka new industry, the stone being very tine for building and curbing. The stone is so well striated that it is easily and economically re- moved from its place and shipped. It stands well the lire and water tests, receives a high polish and bids fair to become one of the principal building materials of this district. The Doctor is a member of several benevolent societies, including the Chosen Friends, Red Men and Druids of Oakland. He is a Republican in his political principles and takes an active part in politics. He was married April 12, 1888, at San Jose, to Miss Annie Curdts, of that city. [Page 729]

 

H C BUFORD, dairyman near Woodland, was born in July, 1840, in Kentucky, a  son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Shropshire) Buford, natives of Kentucky. Thomas was a farmer and turfman, and died in Kentucky in 1876, at the age of about seventy years. The subject of this brief notice was reared on a farm.  At the age of twenty-one years, in 1862, he entered the Confederate service (although his father was a strong Union man), and served three years. Afterward he lived in Kentucky, until 1879, engaged in farming and mercantile business and trading in live-stock. He then moved to Marion County, Kansas; and then to Cowley County, and remained there until 1887.  In December, this year, he came to California and located in Yolo County, one mile from Woodland. His dairy is the second in extent in the county. He intends to purchase land in Yolo County and make his permanent home there.  His increasing patronage comprises the best citizens of Woodland. He is a member of Crab Orchard Lodge, No. 420, F. & A. M., of Kentucky. He was married in 1883 to Miss M.  Berry, a native of Virginia, and they have had one child. By the two former marriages Mr.  Buford had five children. The names of the children are: Bessie, Thomas K., Kennedy Clara L., Fannie M. and Chelsea C.[Page 729]

 

JOHN FRICK, of Livermore, was born in Monroe County, near Waterloo, New York, December 24, 1843, and in 1861 came to California by way of Panama. For the first two years after his arrival in this State he engaged in the butchering business at San Francisco; for the next four years, in the same business at San Jose, and finally, in 1867, he located near Livermore, where he is cultivating 160 acres in grain. He has also another quarter- section of land, nine miles southeast of Liver- more, which is devoted principally to grazing.  He was married in Livermore, in 1867, to Miss Louisa Whitney, now deceased, and by that marriage there were four children: John R., Lonisa, Charles F. and Katherine. In 1880 Mr. Frick was again married, and by this mar- riage there are also four children: Etta M., Susan M., Herman and William. [Page 730]

 

JOHN G BRAUCH GOEPPERT, one of the proprietors of the Yolo Brewery and the general manager and correspondent, is a native of Hamburg, Germany, born in June, 1859; received a fine education, and in 1879 sailed for the United States and California, but came around Cape Horn and arrived in San Francisco in the fall of 1880. He first engaged as clerk in a grocery store, then started a bottling establishment for Bavarian beer and continued to conduct the same until 1887, when he established the United States Beer Bottling Company and remained there until 1883. In March of this year he returned to Germany and in October came again to San Francisco and in a short time to Woodland, where he purchased his present interest. At first here he was in partnership for four months with a man, and then a stock company wag formed, comprising Otto Schlner, Chris Seiber, Joseph Genneshausen, A. Niclas, Richard Alge and John G. Goeppert. Mr. Goeppert was made manager and correspondent. The brewery is a magnificent brick structure on west Main Street, and equipped with all the modern improvements for the manufacture of first-class beer.  Under the present able management the establishment is a complete success and one of which the city of Woodland is proud.

Mr. Goeppert was married in 1887, to Miss Clara C. Myer, a native of Germany, and they have one son, John G. by name. [Page 730]

 

H P. CHADBOURN, a prominent business of Pleasanton, Alameda County, was born at Biddeford, Maine, June 6, 1853, and came to San Francisco with his parents when a child. He completed his edu- cation in that city, including a course of one year at Heald’s Business College. Commenc- ing at the foot of the ladder he then followed railroading for about six years and by persever- ance and industry he finally reached the position of passenger conductor. He quit that business on account of a siege of sickness, which was protracted to a period of more than two years, incapacitating him from any steady business. On recovery he was associated with Charles Sutton & Co. for two years. In 1878 he sold out his interest to his partner and again tried railroad- ing for three months; but not finding the old business a suitable one he went to Pleasanton, where for the first eight months he was book keeper for the firm of Myer & Chadbonrn; the next two years he was in Cloverdale, Sonoma County, and vicinity; in 1882 he took charge of the Pierce estate and conducted the ranch as foreman for some two years; then he tried rail-roading for the third time, but in a few months he quit it and located at Pleasanton, where he is now secretary and one of the managers of the Chadbourn Warehouse Company, dealers in hay, grain and lumber, and engaged in storage, shipping and commission and insurance. The incorporators and present stockholders of this company are: Joshua Chadbourn, President;

E. W. Harris, Vice President; H. P. Chad- bourn, Secretary; William Harris and John E. Hortenstine. Our subject is a member of Mosaic Lodge, No. 218, F. & A. M., at Livermore.

He was married September 16, 1874, to Miss Etta Roden, of Stockton, and they have two children: Edna C. and Harry R. [Page 729]

 

EMIL NICLAS, one of the proprietors of the Yolo Brewery, is a young man of more than ordinary energy and ability in his occupation. He dates his birth July 6, 1860, in Germany, where he learned his trade and followed the same until 1882, when he came to California, and worked at his trade in San Francisco and Sacramento. He went to Woodland, and in 1889 he became a partner in the association now owning the Yolo Brewery, which ranks among the first-class in the State.  Mr. Niclas is yet unmarried. [Page 730]

 

FREDERICK A. SCHRADER, wheel-wright and blacksmith at Livermore, was born near Rostock, Germany, August 29, 1851, and accompanied his parents to America in 1861, locating at Elgin, Illinois, where he finished his education and learned the trade of millwright. In 1871 he went to Chicago, where he followed his trade until 1874, when he came by rail to San Francisco, and soon after went to Haywards, and there he worked at his trade as a journeyman until 1875. Then he went to Dublin and continued in his calling there five years; then was in San Francisco until 1884, then at Sacramento, and then Central America, where he was employed in the railroad shops at Guatemala, at car-building for eighteen months. In 1886 he returned to California, visited the East for a few months, came again to California, in 1887, locating near Livermore, where he is now carrying on his old trade, doing general repair work, etc., and having good patronage. He also conducts and owns a saloon at the cross-roads, known as Greenville.

He was married at Stockton, May 17, 1890.  to Miss Augusta Kruger. He is a Republican in his political views, taking an active interest in the public affairs of his locality. He is a member of Mosaic Lodge, No. 218, F. & A.  M., and also of the Society of the Sons of Hermann, both of Livermore. [Page 730]

 

W B. GIBSON, one of the early settlers of Yolo and an agriculturist near Woodland, was born May 20, 1831’ in Louisa County, Virginia, a son of William and Susan (Turner) Gibson, both natives of that State. The grandparents on both sides were in the Revolutionary war. William Gibson moved from Virginia to Missouri in 1837, locating in Howard County, where he remained, a farmer, until his death, which occurred April 10, 1840.  He was born July 13, 1799, and learned the brick-maker’s trade. His wife died April 28, 1877, in Napa County, California. Mr. Gibson, our subject, was brought up on a farm until 1850, when he came overland with mule teams to the Golden State, the journey occupying four months. Going direct to Yolo County, he pre- empted 160 acres of land from the Government on Cache Creek, in company with a man named Cooper. Two months afterward he went to Scott’s River and followed mining until the following spring. He then went to Oregon, was there three months and returned to Yolo County, arriving .July 15, 1851. He remained on his ranch until the discovery was made that his land was part of a grant. Accordingly, in 1857, he disposed of the same and located upon his present property, consisting then of 160 acres a half mile from what is now the city of Wood- land, and upon this he has been a constant resident, making it a beautiful and attractive home.  He has now some 2,400 acres, all in this county, and he principally raises grain, hay and stock. He was the first to settle in that portion of the county. The plains then were covered with elk, antelope and wolves. Mr. Gibson is justly entitled to the success which he has earned, coming to California without means and having by his industry and economy added to the wealth of the country.

December 23, 1857, is the date of Mr. Gibson’s marriage to Miss Mary E. Cook, a native of Kentucky, whose people came to California across the plains in 1853, and are now living in Yolo County. Their children are three sons:

Robert J., born October 18, 1859; Thomas B., born October 2, 1861, and is now a member of the firm of Gibson & Co., one of the largest hardware firms in the county; and Joseph W., born June 4, 1863. [Page 731]

 

RICHARD BARRY, a farmer near Livermore, was born in County Kildare, Ireland  in 1839, and in 1859 he came to America, locating in Philadelphia; one year afterward he went to Gloucester County, New Jersey, where he worked as a farm hand for six years. In 1866 he took passage to California by way of the Isthmus, lauding at San Francisco, and for two years he was engaged in agricultural pursuits near San Jose. In 1868 he moved to Livermore and purchased 160 acres of land, which he has since been cultivating, mainly in grain. Mr.  Barry was married at Salem, New Jersey, to Miss Mary Lyons, and they have three children, namely: Alice J., Mary Isabelle and John. [Page 731]

 

N. H. WULFF, now engaged in the steamboat business, has been a resident of California since 1850, and of Napa since 1859, and he has always been actively interested in boating on the Sacramento and Stockton rivers and their tributaries, first employing sailing vessels, and for the last thirteen years as a steamboat owner He was born in Denmark in 1830, attended the usual public schools up to the age of fourteen, and then, as did most of the boys in that country, began his career as a follower of the sea. During his life as a sailor he visited almost every port in the world, including Europe, China, South America and Australia, first reaching the California coast in 1850. The glowing accounts of fortunes ac- cumulated in the mines of Shasta County attracted his attention, but after a short though fairly successful experience there he made several trips to Chili, where, at that time, most of the flour, vegetables and other food products that supplied the San Francisco market were procured. He then essayed mining again at Mormon Island, on the American River, but in the next spring a freshet occurred which swept away the results of the winter’s work. He continued there through the summer, and having made a little money he invested in a schooner, with which he traded on the river, and ever since that time he has been interested in the same line of business. From 1853 to 1856 he was also engaged in ballasting ships and carrying building stone from Benicia to San Francisco. In 1855 he transported the first loco- motive run in California from San Francisco to Sacramento. This was for the railroad between Folsom and Sacramento. At that time the great bulk of the trade of the State was carried on between these points, and thence into the mines.  There was at Folsom a large flouring-mill run by water power, and this railroad was intended to do away with the immense amount of team- ing of wheat to this mill, and of supplies from it to the mines and elsewhere. The capacity of that mill was probably 2,000 barrels of flour per day. In 1859 he removed to Napa, where was a large flouring-mill, and engaged in carrying flour and wheat from this county to Sacramento and other parts of the State. About fifteen years ago, feeling assured that steam was certain to supersede the use of sailing vessels, he transferred his inteest to that class of transportation. He is now interested in the Caroline “ and the “ Zinfandel,” the latter a boat he had built in 1889. This boat was fitted up for passengers as well as freight, and the line has been of great value to Napa County, operating on the railroad as a check upon high passenger rates. It is the only line on the Napa River having passenger accommodations. For one dollar passengers can make the trip to or between Napa and San Francisco, having a good, comfortable bed and wake up in the morning at either point.

Captain Wulff was married in 1859, to Miss Margaret O’Brien, a native of Ireland, who came to this country at the age of ten years with an older brother. They have had two children: a daughter, Annie, who died in 1861, and a son. Nelson, a graduate of Heald’s Business College ill San Francisco, now in partnership with his father. The Captain is a member of the American Legion of Honor, and of the Master Mariners’ Association. He has been a public-spirited and useful citizen, contributing liberally of his means to all matters of public interest. [Pages 731-732]

HANS MATTHIESEN, a blacksmith of Livermore, was born in Husam, Germany, September 22, 1844, and learned the black- smith’s trade there. In 1864 he emigrated to America, landing at New York. After spending a few months at Chicago, and following his trade two years at St. Lopis, he came in 1866 to California, by way of the Isthmus of Panama, landing at San Francisco. The first year here he spent at Pleasanton, Alameda County; from 1867 to 1870 he was a journeyman black- smith in San Francisco; then he established himself in business at lone, Amador County, but sold out there in 1883, and since then has been engaged in blacksmithing, general repairing and as a wheel-wright. He is a member of Vesper Lodge, No. 62, A. O. U. W., and also of the society of the Sons of Hermann, No. 13, both of Livermore.

November 14, 1871, at Livermore, is the date of his marriage to Mary Sachau. They have seven children living: Anna AV., Pauline, Wilhelmina, Emma, Elinora, Dora. John C, the second child, is deceased. [Page 732]

 

HOLTON COCHRAN was born in Sandusky County, near Toledo, Ohio, January 16, 1828. The history of his fore fathers is coequal with the history of America.  He traces his ancestry back to John Cochran, who was born in Scotland of Scotch parents and who came to America as a British soldier in the army of General Braddock, at the time of the war with France. When Braddock was defeated he went with General George Washington (then a colonel in the army) to Virginia. There he purchased a farm and became a wealthy man.  In the meantime he went to Scotland for his wife and brought her to his new home in the Old Dominion. To them were born ten children.  Their son Robert removed to one of the Eastern States and married a Miss Rice, and settled in Vermont on a farm near Burlington. He be- came a General in the Revolutionary war. His son Seth was a seaman, a mate of a vessel, and came to this coast many years ago; was in the Bay of San Francisco, and purchased furs on the Columbia River. He subsequently re- turned to Vermont and married Polly Stotard, a native of Connecticut, of Scotch parents. He also had a war record worthy of note. In the war of 1812 he raised a company and was elected their captain. For meritorious service at Plattsburg and in other battles he was promoted to colonel. At the close of the war he returned to his home and remained there until 1816, when he sold his farm and made the journey with a wagon to Coldersburg, Ohio.  In that place, then a wilderness, he located and continued his residence there until 1821. He then removed to Sandusky, and from there, in 1832, to Toledo. After remaining in the latter place some time he moved to Hillsdale, Michigan, and died there at the age of eighty-eight years. Mr. Cochran’s grandmother died in Huron County, Ohio, aged ninety-six years.

Hoi ton Cochran is the seventh son and the only survivor of a family of eleven children. At the age of sixteen he began to learn the cooper’s trade, and worked at it four years. After that he learned the carpenter’s trade in New York City. He made three voyages at sea, first before then and afterward as second mate; was in the East India Islands and in Mexico. He then returned to Ohio, and, after spending some time in traveling, visiting nearly every State in the Union, he located at Toledo, where he engaged in contracting and building. He was very successful in his business undertakings there, doing large carpenter jobs and also con- ducting extensive cooper works. He erected several fine buildings in Toledo, including the Bethel Church.

In the spring of 1859 he sold out and came to California, via the Isthmus of Panama. His first venture here was mining in Butte County.  He found one piece of gold that weighed and in his best day’s work he took out Mr. Cochran saw a piece of gold taken out by another man that weighed fifty- four pounds.  In 1860 he went to Virginia City and mined, but not with so much success. He then went to Los Angeles, and from there traveled over the State in search of a desirable location, going to Butte and from there to Red Bluff in 1862. In the latter place he engaged in business until the fall of 1864. At that time he removed to Shingletown, Shasta County, and purchased a saw-mill, sawed pine lumber and rafted it down the river to Sacramento. The expense of drawing the lumber to the river was $10; rafting to Ked Bluff, $2.50; shipping by steam to Sacramento, $10; in that city it brought $65 per thousand feet. This business Mr. Cochran continued for four years, taking the oar to steer the rafts down the river him- self. He then purchased a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits and stock-raising till 1868. In that year he sold out and pre-empted 160 acres on Cow Creek and purchased 320 ad- joining acres. He improved this ranch and resided on it five years, and at the end of that time, in 1873, he sold the property and came to Redding. He arrived here before the rail- road was completed and he built one of the first houses in the town. He engaged in contracting and building, and also purchased a saw-mill at the mouth of Spring (]reek. The logs were run down Pit River seventy miles, and the lumber was sold at Redding and Red Bluff. At this business Mr. Cochran was also successful.  He sold his mill and engaged in quartz-mining, which proved a failure. Then he bought $3,000 worth of cattle which he sent by John Bloodsel to Bey Valley to be wintered. The winter, however, was so severe that they lost all except fourteen head. After selling his mine he returned to Redding and engaged again in contracting and building and has followed that business up to the present time. He has in- vested in houses and city property in the best part of the town, which he rents. He is one of the stockholders of the I. O. O. F. Hall, a fine block recently completed. Mr. Cochran was the first to invest money in the enterprise.  Besides his large real-estate interests he also has money loaned.

In 1854 Mr. Cochran married Miss Mary Ann Read, a native of Ohio. Their union was blessed with four children; George, born in Ohio, and the others in California. Emma married Mr. Ballard and resides at Red Bluff.  Addie is now the wife of William Worley, also of Red Bluff. After sixteen years of married life Mrs. Cochran died. In 1870 Mr. Cochran married Mrs. Stanley, a native of Kentucky, by whom he had two sons, Horace and Charles, born at Cow Creek. In 1886 Mrs. Cochran died,, and in 1889 he wedded Mrs. Gifford, a native of New York. She is of English ex- traction, and for many years made her home at Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Mr. Cochran is an Odd Fellow and has passed all the chairs in the order. He is a stanch Re- publican, and a man who stands high in the estimation of his fellow  citizens. [Pages 733-734]

 

 Z B KINCHLOE, one of the early settlers and well-known citizens of Yolo County, was born December 9, 1823, in Missouri, a son of Joseph and Martha (Edwards) Kinchloe, natives of Kentucky who in early day moved to Cooper County, Missouri, where at the lead mines the father died, in 1828. In their family were five sons and five daughters, of whom only four ar« now living. Mr.  Kinchloe, the subject of this sketch, remained at home on the farm with his widowed mother until her death, which occurred in 1845. He then rented land and continued farming until 1854, when he came overland to California, with ox teams, the trip of live months being a tedious one. The train consisted of ten wagons, with eighteen men and eight women, and David Workman as captain. They had considerable trouble with the Indians. Their first permanent halt was in Yolo County, at the home ranch of Abraham Barnes, Mr. Kinchloe’s father-in-law, who had come to this State in 1850. Mr.  Kinchloe then had a cabin built, which still stands, as an eloquent monument of pioneer life.  The land, 160 acres, was afterward surveyed and found to exist within grant limits, and Mr.  Kinchloe was therefore obliged to pay for the same, at the rate of 85 per acre. Later he homesteaded other land, and now he and his brother, who came with him to California, own together 640 acres of good land, in quality second to none in the county. They carry on general fanning and stock-raising, and have accumulated means sufficient to enable them to retire upon their capital. When they first located there the land was perfectly wild, and their nearest market was Sacramento, twenty miles distant. Their property is five miles southwest of Woodland. The brother, P. G.  Kinchloe, was born in 1826.

Mr. Z. B. Kinchloe was married in 1846, to Miss Victoria Barnes, a native of Missouri, and they had ten children, seven of whom are now living. Mrs. Barnes was a faithful wife and mother for forty-two years, when, to all appearances in the best of health, she was taken suddenly sick and died in a few short hours. It was ever her desire to render to her beloved family every comfort possible, and her loss is there- fore very deeply felt. [Page 734]

SIMON J. SIMONS, of the firm of Simons & Clee, proprietors of the Soda Works and agents for the Union Ice Company, having their office on B street, between First and Second, Haywards, supply also the towns of Dublin, Pleasanton, Livermore, Sunol, Mission San Jose, Irvington, Decoto, Centerville, Alvarado, Mount Eden, San Lorenzo, San Leandro, etc., with products of their manufacture. Mr.  Simons was born in Schleswig, Germany, March 6, 1860, and came to America in 1875, landing first in New York City, and coming thence by rail to Haywards. For the first several years here he followed farming and teaming, and also ran a saloon about two years. He then purchased the soda works and later admitted a partner, and has since managed the business successfully, building up a good and substantial trade. He‘s a member of the order of the Sons of Hermann, at Livermore.

He was married in Haywards, June 9, 1886, to Miss Annie Hunt, and they have two children, viz.: John H. and an infant son. Mr.  Simons’ parents were John and Annie (Neilsen) Simons, both natives of Germany, his father is now deceased. [Page 734]

 

JOSEPH H. HARLAN, a farmer five miles southwest of Woodland, is one of the worthy citizens who have amassed a fortune by the cultivation of the soil, and stands at the front of the class. He was born May 9, 1829, ill Boyle County, Kentucky, a son of George and Johanna (Hilm) Harlan, both natives also of that State. His father, a farmer, in 1853 moved to Cooper County, Missouri, and continued as a farmer and stock-raiser there until ills death, in 1845, when he was about forty- seven years old. His wife died in 1852, at the age of fifty years. He brought up six sons and three daughters. Joseph H. was reared on his father’s farm. At the age of twenty-one he struck out in the world for himself, working and trading, allowing no opportunity to make an honest dollar to escape. In 1853 he came to California, with ox teams and other live-stock, being only three months on the road and the journey being pleasant. The train did not camp out twice in the same place. On arriving in this State, Mr. Harlan first stopped in Sierra County, on the head-waters of the Feather River, to recruit; he then was in Colusa County twelve months, and another twelve months in Butte County, where he had located to re- main, but his claim was found to be grant land, and he went to Solano County, having a similar experience; and in the autumn of 1860 he settled on 160 acres of Government land in the western portion of Yolo County, known as the Buckeye ranch. At that time the land was all a bare plain, visited by elk, antelope, deer and bands of Spanish cattle. In 1863 he moved again upon a ranch three miles and a half north- west of Woodland, where he remained until 1872, when he purchased his present place, five miles southwest of Woodland, where he built a handsome residence in 1873, and has a tine home. He owns 2,820 -acres in Yolo County, on which he carries on general farming and raises livestock; and he also has 1,800 acres in Fresno County, devoted also to general farming.  Mr. Harlan is a practical farmer, a wide-awake citizen and a generous neighbor. He has given employment to many deserving working men. He was married November 15, 1855, to Miss Grace H. Barnes, a native of Missouri. [Page 735]

 

ANDREW RAMAGE, of Haywards, is a native son of the Golden West, who de- serves special mention in this volume. He was born at Haywards, March 16, 1864, learned the trade of blacksmith, worked as a journey- man and finally started in business for himself, having now his shop on Main street, between A and B streets. He is also agent for the sale of wagons, carriages and agricultural implements.  He is one of the prominent mechanics of the place, who has by industry and honest dealing gained for himself a good business and a fine reputation. He is an active member of Eden Parlor, No. 113, N. S. G. W. His parents were James and Clementina Ramage, his father a coppersmith by trade, and his mother dying when he was but three years of age. He married Miss Mary Addison, August 22, 1889, at San Leandro, and they have a child. [Page 735]

 

WILLIAM BRAY, a farmer near Woodland, was born February 23, 1832, in Monroe County, Kentucky, a son of Richard and Annie (Woods) Bray. His father, a farmer by vocation, was a pioneer of that county, and died there at the age of sixty-two years. The genealogy of the family is traceable to Germany. In their family were five sons and one daughter. Mr. William Bray was brought up on a farm in Kentucky, and was but nineteen years of age when in 1852 he came over land to California, with ox teams, starting March 10 and arriving August 14. His first stop was among the mines on Hopkins’ Creek, in Onion Valley, where he followed mining until about the middle of November, when he went to Yolo County and located 160 acres of land, which has ever since been his home. It was then perfectly wild, the country being over- run with antelope, wild horses and grizzly bears, etc. in the mountains, but he has long since made it a model residence. He also in early day followed mining in Grass Valley, Nevada, and on Feather River, with moderate success.  The place at present comprises 340 acres, three miles southwest of Woodland, where Mr. Bray followed general farming, stock-raising, and raises what fruit is needed for family use. He is a practical farmer and a reliable citizen.

He was married March 4, 1860, to Miss Harriet Eakee, a native of Jackson County, Tennessee, and of their seven children six are now living: Alexander C, John E., who died January 22, 1878, aged fifteen years, four months and twenty-five days; Sara A., Lucy J., James I., William H. and Mary C. [Page 736]

 

HANS P. JESSEN, dealer in lumber and building material of every description, also his hay, grain, coal, salt, bale rope, barb-wire, etc., Haywards, is also the owner and manager of a line of freight schooners plying between Jessen’s Landing and San Francisco, making regular trips, and also of a warehouse at the landing. He is a native of Schleswig, Germany, born January 4, 1847, and was brought up there in farming pursuits until 1864, when he came to America, landing at New York. He came thence by way of Panama to San Francisco, and soon located near Haywards, engaging in farming. In 1867 he established the salt works four miles west of Haywards, which he conducted for a number of years and still owns. Later he leased the works and established his present business. He is also agent for the Sun Fire Insurance Company of London. Mr. Jessen was the son of Jesse and Katrina (Kirkman) Jessen, natives of Germany. He was married at Mount Eden, Alameda County, March 16, 1877, to Miss Christina Hansen, and they have three children, — Catherine E., James F. and Ada. Mr. .lessen is a member of Sycamore Lodge, No. 129, I. O. O. F., and also of the Encampment, No. 28, at Haywards.  [Page 736]

 

WILLIAM F. CASSEL, a farmer residing between Woodland and Davisville, was born October 10, 1832, in Washington County, Virginia, a son of John and Anna (Weeks) Cassel. His father, a native also of Virginia, and a farmer by occupation, moved from that State to Cole County, Illinois, in 1833, being a pioneer there. He took up Government land, a part of which is now within the limits of Charleston, the county-seat, and remained thereon until the death of his wife in March, 1855. He then sold out and removed to Adams County, same State, where he resided until his death, March 24, 1887, when he was aged ninety-three years and three months, and three days before his death he walked a distance of six miles.

Mr. William F. Cassel, the subject of this biographical mention, was brought up on a farm. At the age of fifteen years he left home and drifted about, visiting New Orleans, St.  Louis, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc., until December 9, 1850, when he left for California. He sailed from New York on the Northern Light to Greytown, and from the Isthmus to San Francisco, arriving March 9, 1851. He went to the mines in Sierra County, near Downieville, and he remembers well the evening that place received its name. He thinks that Mr. Downie spent at least $10,000 for drinks that evening!  Mr. Cassel remained there until 1863, experiencing the usual vicissitudes of a miner’s life and enjoying moderate success. He then purchased land in Sonoma County, near Santa Rosa improved and cultivated it and made it his home until October, 1877, when he sold out and moved into Yolo County, upon his present property of 320 acres of choice farming land, six miles from Woodland and four from Davisville, with good gravel- roads to each place.  There he is engaged in stock-raising and general agriculture. He is a practical farmer and his place is always found in a presentable condition.

He was married in December, 1860, to Mrs. Sarah Lowe, a native of England, and they have five sons and two daughters, viz.: Hiram F., deceased, Robert E., William F., Leonard J., Sarah B., Addie M., deceased, and Richard C. [Page 736-737

 

MATTHIAS C. PETERSEN, a horticulturist and farmer near Haywards, was born in Denmark, May 22, 1850, and was brought up a farmer. In 1869 he emigrated to America, landing at New York, whence he shortly came on to San Francisco by way of the Isthmus of Panama, and immediately located at Haywards. There he worked upon a farm until 1875, wiien he purchased thirty-five acres of line orchard and farm land, and devoted it to the purposes mentioned. He has twenty-two acres in choice fruits, the products of which he ships to the San Francisco markets. He is a member of the Board of Town Trustees, and in his political views is a Democrat. He was married at Haywards, to Theresa Frank, a native of Germany, who came to America in 1868. Their six children are Martin, Catherine, Arthur, Mattie, Edith and Eugene. Mr. Petersen is the son of Martin and Hachie (Eskelsen) Petersen, both natives of Denmark. [Page 737]

 

BENNETT JAMES , deceased.— Since the settlement of Napa County it is probable that no other man ever attained so warm a place in the hearts of his fellow-citizens as he whose name commences this article. No history can do credit to such a man in a personal mention of his career, as being of a modest demeanor many of the acts of kindness and charity which so endeared him to all with whom he came in contact are not matters of record except in the hearts of those who are better for having known him. This much may be said in this connection, however, that the impress of his character is indelibly affixed upon the community of which he was so long an honored member. In a work such as this, a part of whose mission is to collect and preserve for posterity, not only the deeds of worthy men, but some- thing in regard to those who performed them, a more than passing notice of such men as Bennett James becomes valuable and even essential.

He came of a family prominent in business and other circles, many of whose members achieved positions of high honor and trust. His father. Colonel Austin James, who was reared at Florissant, Missouri, and afterward removed to Illinois, was. a prominent figure in the early political history of the latter State, as well as in the military circles; while his uncle, General Thomas James, was one of the early traders, who, while residing in southwestern Illinois, took an active part in the early commercial business of the Southwest, his operations extending as far as Santa Fe and the Rocky Mountains, and even as a member of the Mc- Knight party, the well known old-time Indian traders to the Pacific coast.

Bennett James, the subject of this sketch after receiving the education afforded by the schools of his native place, began attendance at the St. Louis University. When about nine- teen years of age his talents won for him the appointment to a cadetship at the National Military Academy at West Point at the hands of the Congressman from his district, where he made an enviable record. Having completed the course within three months of graduation, and not desiring a commission in the army, he was honorably discharged. Returning to his home in Illinois, he resided at the home farm of his father until 1852, when he joined a party made up for the most part at St. Louis, bound for California. With them he made the long trip across the plains, and, as the journey was accomplished with ox teams, considerable time wag consumed before the goal was reached. The first permanent stop in California was made at Hangtown, and Mr. James was. soon engaged, like so many others, in gold-seeking. His principal mining experience at first was in the camps of Calaveras County. Later, however, he went up on Feather River, and there he allied himself with a company which organized to turn the river and work the bed, which was considered to be rich in gold. At the cost of enormous labor and expense the work was finally completed, and when everything was in readiness the men were set to work mining, and Mr. James went to breakfast. While at his meal the dam gave way and an investment of $100,000 was swept away almost in the twinkling of an eye. This misfortune decided Mr.  James course, and his intention was at once formed to give up mining. He began settling up his business affairs in the State; and a few months later, April 18, 1859, he started on his return, via Panama, to Illinois, and arrived at his old home in the following month. On the 18th of April, 1860, just a year after he left California, he was married to the lady who was thereafter his life companion. On his return he engaged in the general merchandise trade at Harrisonville, and in 1861 embarked in ware-housing and shipping on the river.

In 1868 he removed with his family to California, via New York and Panama, landing at San Francisco on the 2nd day of December.  After some two weeks spent in the city, they went to Mission San Jose, where they remained about six months, then came to Napa County.  Mr. James purchased a ranch of 287 acres about two miles west of Napa, and to this he devoted his attention largely for years, giving some prominence to fruit-raising. There he resided until the removal of the family to Napa. He established himself in the lumber business in Napa and carried on a successful business in that line until, on account of ill-health, he relinquished its management to his son, L. L., in 1879.  From the early days of his residence in the county, his many sterling qualities began to attract to him a strong personal following, and this eventually resulted in his being called to official life, though he was not. in the strict meaning of the term, a politician. He was elected a member of the Board of Supervisors, and his record therein for two terms fully justified the high estimation in which he was held by his friends. This was followed by his election to the office of Sheriff which he held from 1877 until the time of his death. He was not a man to go out and work for his own political advancement, and would never consent to make the race for a nomination unless satisfied that the field was open for him without antagonizing those whom he counted among his friends.

In his family relations he was peculiarly happy, and in his own home his noblest qualities were brought out. His wife, whose maiden name was Emily Bamber, was a native of Harrisonville, Monroe County, Illinois, a daughter of William and Mary (James) Bamber. Her father, who is still living, was born in Mary- land of English parentage, and removed with his parents to Illinois when he was a mere child.  There he married and yet resides, though his wife is now deceased. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. James, of whom one died in infancy. Those living are: Leander L., whose sketch follows; Clement Laurel, who is in the hardware business in Napa, manager of the firm of James & Son; Agnes M., Annie T., Edward A., William B., Francis L. and Edith.

The death of Bennett James occurred on the 30th of November, 1884, and a profound gloom was thereby thrown over the community, where he was so loved and honored.

His funeral, which is said to have been the most notable one held in Napa County is thus referred to by the Napa Journal of December 4, 1884:

“The funeral of Sheriff” Bennett James took place from the family residence Wednesday morning at half past nine o’clock, the following gentlemen acting as pall-bearers: B. Little, A.  J. Kaney, Dennis Spencer, J. A. McClelland, Dr. F. M. Hackett, B. L. Robinson,. N. L.  Nielsen, E. Gr. Young, F. L. Coombs, George E. Groodman, Judge W. C. Wallace, Eli Hottel, John Simmons and A. G. Boggs. The sad procession proceeded to the Catholic Church where a requiem high mass was celebrated for the repose of the soul of the faithful departed. The church was filled with the mourning relatives and friends who had gone to pay their last respects to the mortal remains of that noble man, whose death had cast a gloom over the entire community. The mass was chanted in solemn tone5 by Rev. Father Slattery, and the responses came in silvery tones from the regular church choir, assisted by the Misses Edith aid Rose Stanley, of St. Ignatius choir, San Francisco.  The Misses Stanley also sang several duets appropriate to the ceremony. At the conclusion of the elaborate mass, Rev. Father Slattery said it was not the custom of the church to deliver a sermon on the death of a member, extolling the virtues he possessed in discharging his duty, but, in obedience to the dictates of his conscience, on this occasion he could not refrain from mentioning some of the noble traits of the deceased who had ever been a fearless and faithful champion of his religion, a generous and hearty supporter of the church, a true and devoted husband, and a loving and indulgent father, and an honorable citizen in the community. During his remarks he delivered a eulogy on the life of his beloved friend that touched the hearts of all present.

“The funeral cortege left the church about 12 o’clock and the remains were escorted to Tulocay cemetery by the heart-stricken family and a great concourse of sorrowing friends, there being in the line of procession about 120 carriages. Arriving at the grave the priest read the services of the Catholic Church, and thus the last sad rites were performed over him whose life was a noble example to all mankind.”

The Board of Supervisors, recognizing his services in behalf of the people and his high standing in the community, expressed the general sentiment of the citizens, together with their own in the following:

Resolutions of Respect to the Memory of The Late Bennett James, Sheriff of Napa County.

Whereas, Death has taken from oar midst the late Sheriff of Napa County, Bennett James, it is therefore, by the Court and its officers, Resolved, That by his death this Court has lost a faithful and conscientious officer, the county an efficient servant, the community an honorable citizen and his family a true and affectionate husband and father.

 Resolved, That in his public and private life he was esteemed as a man of unswerving honor and integrity, and of high and moral character; that he was benevolent in his daily walks of life, kind and sympathetic by nature, a Christian in faith and in practice, and his conduct always the result of his convictions.

Resolved, That the family of the deceased have the profound sympathy of this Court and its officers.

Resolved, That this resolution be spread upon the minutes of this Court, and that a copy of the same be transmitted to the family of the deceased.

F. L. Coombs,

Dennis Spencer,

SEAL,

Henry C. Gesford,

E. D. Ham,

F. E. Johnston,

A true copy. Attest

N. L. Nielsen, Clerk.

 

Mr. James was in his every-day life a Christian man, and was one of the mainstays of the Catholic Church of Napa. Li February, 1846, while a boy attending the St. Louis University, he identified himself with the Arch-Confrateinity of Our Lady of Victory, and took an active part in the work of the Young Men’s Sodality.  His zeal in the faith continued all through life and was the of his greatest consolations in the hone of death. On the monument which marks his last resting place, this simple, yet touching description, suggested by his fellow officials, tells the epitomized story of his character.

“ An honest, upright man — in all things just.” [Pages 737 – 740]

 

 

A Memorial & Biographical History of Northern California: Chicago : The Lewis Publishing Company, 1891

Transcribed by Martha A Crosley Graham, 12 October 2008 - Pages 714-740

 

Site Created: 12 October 2008

Martha A Crosley Graham

Rights Reserved: 2008