History of Northern California
1891
Biographies

Note: Use CTRL-F to Search

T H. WARRINGTON is one of the active business men of Redding, California. He was born in Pictou, Prince Edward  County, Canada, February 17, 1854. His father, William Warrington, a native of England, enigrated to Canada in 1821. In 1838 he married Margaret Cooper, who was born in the north of Ireland of Scotch ancestry. They had seven children, four of whom are living, the subject of this sketch being the youngest.

He was educated in Canada and there learned telegraphy. In 1875 he came direct to Shasta, California. He followed farming in Contra Costa County until 1880. Then for a year he was clerk and coal weigher for the Black Diamond Coal Mining Company. In 1881 he became telegraph operator for the Southern Pacific Railroad Company; in the fall of 1882 was sent as their agent to Marfa, Texas; in 1888 was transferred to El Paso; and in 1889,to Marcalles. In July, 1890, he came to Red­ding as ticket and freight agent.

Mr. Warrington was married, in 1873, to Miss Mary Adelaide Bongard, a native of Prince Edward County. Her parents were En­glish people. They have one child now living, Mary Neda, born in Texas. Mr. Warrington is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and his wife is a member of the Eastern Star. They attend the Methodist Episcopal Church. Po­litically he is a Republican.

MARSHALL A. MITCHELL is the gentleman in Redding, California, in whose hands the good order of the city rests. He it is who sits as the receiver of city taxes and has the care of the streets and highways. His duties are onerous, but he goes about them from morning till night with a smiling face; all one to him whether he has a noisy and quarrelsome drunkard to arrest. and put in the city cooler, or whether he takes the shining gold from the hands of the many wealthy resi­dents of Redding in payment of their taxes. These duties he has faithfully performed for the past six years to the complete satisfaction of all concerned. Few city marshals could fill the office so faithfully and with so little friction —Marshall by name and Marshal by virtue of office. He is a large, fine-looking man; asks what he wants in a quiet, good-natured way and usually has the power and backbone to make it known that he means what he says. Consequently he has as little trouble as any man could have holding the office he does.

Mr. Mitchell is a native of Illinois, born in Boone County, October 19,1848. He comes of one of the old Pennsylvania families. His father, a native of the Keystone State, married Esther Alexander, who was born in Virginia, a descendant of one of the old Virginia families. It is believed that the ancestors of her family came from Scotland and Ireland and settled in Amer­ica in the colonial days, and that later there was a Dutch mixture. Suffice it to say that both his paternal and maternal ancestors were sober, industrious and influential people—high spir­ited and too proud to do a mean act. Of a family of seven children, two only are living— Isaac Mitchell, who resides in Plymouth Coun­ty. Oregon, and Marshall Mitchell, the subject of this sketch. The latter came to Shasta County, California, in 1859, when eleven years of age, and has been reared and educated in the county. His father was a saw-mill and lumber-man here until 1865, when his death occurred.

Marshall Mitchell began business in this county for himself as a farmer. He purchased 320 acres of land on Cow Creek, which he cul­tivated three years. Soon after the town of Redding was laid out he began the mercantile business in it, in partnership with Mr. Williams. In 1874 they built a store on California street between Butte and Yuba, and the firm of Williams & Mitchell did a good business until 1875, when they were burned out and sustained heavy losses. They opened again and continued in business five years longer., when a second fire destroyed their store. Neither of these fires originated in their place of business. Mr. Mitchell then engaged in the forwarding busi­ness, which he continued for several years. In 1885 he was elected Marshal of the city, and has since filled that office with satisfaction to all concerned.

He has purchased town lots and built a resi­dence on Pine, between Butte and Tehama streets. Mr. Mitchell was married, in 1883, to Miss Annie Watt, a native: of Oregon. He is a Master and Royal Arch Mason. In  politics. he is a Republican.

 

JAMES M. GLEAVES was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, September 10, 1852. His father, James S. Gleaves, was a native of Ohio, and his grandfather, Lewis Weaves,settled the town of Norristown, Pennsylvania. The family originated in England. James S. Gleaves married Elmira A. A. McDonald, a native of Pennsylvania, and daughter of Captain Malcolm McDonald, a native of Scotland and a captain in the British navy. They had twelve children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the second. He was a sickly boy, and in early life developed a taste for reading. He went from home at thirteen years of age, and at sev­enteen began to teach school. As soon as he had earned and saved money enough he entered the State University of Missouri. When within a few months of graduating his health gave out, and he was compelled to leave college.

In 1874 he came to California seeking health. He obtained employment in Merced, as a book­keeper, at $90 per month and board. From there he went to the Yosemite, where, in the pure air of that far-famed mountain retreat, he regained his physical strength. Next, he went to San Bernardino and engaged in the drug business. For a time he was Deputy Postmas­ter; he also had charge of the County Hos­pital a while.

July 4, 1875, Mr. Gleaves was married to Miss Martha A. Beardsly, a native of Connecti­cut and a daughter of Julius S. and Eliza Lucretia (Reed) Beardsly, both natives of that State. Mr. and Mrs. Gleaves have had five children, two of whom are living, both born in Redding. Their names are James, Malcom and Charles Beardsly.

 Mr. Gleaves was elected Surveyor of Shasta County in 1886: for two years previous to that time, was Deputy Surveyor. At the last Repub­lican convention at Sacramento, in 1890, he was a candidate for Surveyor General. He is now United States Deputy Surveyor and United States Deputy Mineral Surveyor. Mr. Gleaves was admitted to practice at the bar of Shasta County on September 10, 1889, but does not practice law.

When he first came to Redding Mr. Gleaves was in the drug business, but was burned out, and thereby sustained a severe loss. With an undaunted courage and a determination to suc­ceed he has taken hold of other enterprises and has met with fair success. He is now the owner of an eighteen-acre fruit ranch, the " Fair View Farm," which is beautifully situ­ated on the banks of the Sacramento River, near Reading. He has built an attractive home, from which a beautiful view of the river and surrounding country is obtained. The choice fruits and rare flowers which surround this home are indicative of the taste and re­finement of the inmates. Mrs. Cleaves takes special pride in the care and cultivation of her flowers.

Mr. Gleaves was the first Past Master of the A. O. H. W., at Redding. He, was one of the men who instituted the I. O. O. F. Lodge at Redding, and has been District Deputy Grand Master in his district. By unanimous vote he was made Grand Commander of the
American Legion of Honor. He is also a Master Mason.

 

REUBEN O. CARMER is one of the early settlers of California. He drove two yoke of oxen and a yoke of cows for leaders across the plains to this State in 1859.. Those who come overland to this coast in four or five days, in a palace sleeping car or a tourists' sleeper, know little of the dangers and privations of the men who spent six or eight weary months in corning to California before the railroads were built and the iron horse began to come " whiz­zing o'er the mountains and buzzing through the vales."

Mr. Carmer was born in New York in 18--, and comes of good old Revolutionary stock. His great-grandfather, Isaac Carmel., came from Germany to this country when a youth. At the age of seventeen he carried his musket and fought bravely in many of the battles of the Revolutionary struggle. He afterward settled in the State of New York, married and became the father of Abram Carmer. Abram Carmer had a son John, also horn in New York, who married Hulda Hart, a native of New Jersey

 They reared a family of seven children, all of whom are living, Reuben being the youngest of the family.

He worked on his father's farm and attended school in his native town until he reached the age of seventeen years. He then went to Illi­nois and worked on a farm for three years. On the twelfth of April, 1859, he started for Cali­fornia, as before stated. When they reached the Missouri River, the young men with whom Mr. Carmer started went back. He came on with Dr. Roberts, a gentleman from Pennsyl­vania. They had several skirmishes with the Indians, and Mr. Canner received three arrows in his left shoulder. They were stone-pointed arrows, and the Doctor cut them out. When they arrived in California, at a point between Stockton and Sacramento, they sold their cattle and went to Kentucky Hill, two miles and a half from Camptonville, in Yuba County. There they engaged in mining and were successful. The Doctor lost the use of his arm by a shot, and Mr. Canner and his partner, Will­iam Roades, earned money at one ounce of gold per day and furnished him with the means to return east that winter. During the winter they made $9,000 each. Then they went to the Yuba River and sunk all the money they had made except $60. After that Mr. Carmer went to Yreka and prospected; then went to Red Bluff and worked for wages in the ice business; next, engaged in freighting to Weaverville, Yreka, Shasta and Scott's Valley. In 1871 he sold out, and was employed by the railroad com­pany for a year. In 1872 he came to Redding, then an embryo town. He built a feed corral, which he kept two years. Then he sold out, and, in company with Mr. F. C. Tiffan, built a barn and opened a livery stable. He conducted the feed stable and also did a freighting business until 1875, when he sold out. One winter he drove a stage from Yreka to Oregon, during which time he met with many exciting adven­tures. Once, in crossing the Cottonwood River, his lead horses were both drowned. He stuck to the wagon and floated to a bend in the river where he jumped out. He succeeded in rescu­ing the other horses and saved the mail. In the spring he returned to Redding and worked for Bosh & Johnson, freighters. Then for a time he was night clerk in Conroy's Hotel. Then he followed various callings, including mining. About this time be became blind. His disease was what the physicians called ad­hesion of the eye. He suffered severely, but his sight was finally restored. In 1887 he opened his drug store in Redding, and is now doing a very successful business.

In 1888 Mr. Carmer married Mrs. Lydia-A. Wilson, a native of California. He is in poli­tics, a Republican. For twenty-two years he has been an Odd Fellow, having passed all the chairs of the order.

 

W.HERRON is one of the prominent contractors and builders of Redding, California. Since his residence in this place he has identified himself with the best interests of the town, and has done much toward its improvement in his line of work. A sketch - of his life is herewith given.

Mr. Herron was born in Kentucky, Novem­ber 9, 1842, the son of William and Catherine (Hood) Herron, both natives of Kentucky. Grandfather William Herron was born in Scot­land. The subject of this sketch was one of a family of six children. He received his educa­tion in his native State, and, in 1861, at the age of nineteen, enlisted in the Union army, Com­pany K, Seventh Kentucky Volunteer Infantry. He was in many skirmishes and several of the great battles of the war, among them the battles of Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Mill Spring, Shiloh, Stone River, siege of Vicksburg, and others. He was in the Banks expedition, on Red River, in the midst of hard fighting. In 1864 his term of enlistment expired, and he re- enlisted and fought until the close of the war. During the numerous engagements in which he took part he was slightly wounded four times.

 The war over, Mr. Herron received an honor­able discharge in 1866. He returned to Cin­cinnati, Ohio, and engaged in carpenter work, at which he was employed in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. In 1869 he married Miss Mary C. Sly. They have two daughters, Emma J. and Bertha A.

From Illinois; in 1876, he came to Colusa County, California, where he carried on his business for about ten years. At the end of that time he located in Redding, and has since been a leading architect and contractor of the city. He is now (1890), superintending the building of several of the best residences and business blocks of .Redding. He belongs to the G. A. R., A. 0. U. W., I. 0. 0. F., and is a Master Mason. Politically he affiliates with the Republican Party. He is a worthy citizen and is respected and esteemed by all who know him.

 

WILLIAM S. B. TOWNSLEY was born in East Tennessee, September 1, 1824, the son of John and Mary (Blair) Townsley. His father was born in Tennessee, and his mother, a native of Virginia, was reared on the James River. The ancestors of the Townsley family emigrated to this country from England during the Colonial days. Grandfather George Townsley was a soldier in the Revolu­tionary war. He settled in Virginia, and after­ward removed to Tennessee. The subject of this sketch is one of a family of four sons and five daughters. When last heard from his brothers. and sisters were all living, scattered 'over Kentucky, Arkansas and Missouri..

Mr. Townsley was reared and educated in his native State until nineteen years of age, when, with his younger brother, Nicholas, he came West. He drove an ox team across the plains for a trader. He came as far West as Santa Fe in 1848. In 1850 he came to California. His first mining experience was near Diamond Springs, on the Cosumnes River. In the sum­mer of 1851 he was in Vacaville. He had only moderate success in mining, getting enough of the glittering gold to pay his expenses. Then he engaged in farming for two or three years, then, until 1858, he mined on Scott and Klamath Rivers. From there he came to Shasta County, and mined two years at Buckeye. After this he located in the southeastern part of Shasta County, on 360 acres of land, where he built and made improvements and lived for twenty- five years. There are only two men now living who were there at the time he settled on that place. There was not a child of school age in that part of the county. While there his principal business was stock-raising. He sold that property. and purchased an improved farm of 120 acres, where he now resides.

Politically Mr. Townsley is a Democrat. In 1886 he was elected a member of the Board of Supervisors of Shasta County. Dnring his term of office he has favored many valuable county improvements-, such as the building of roads and bridges, and the construction of the fine court-house and jail. These buildings were completed in 1889, and cost $50,000. Mr. Townsley is one of the worthy and respected early settlers of Shasta County, and it is eminently fitting that his name should find a place in history among other brave California pioneers.

 

JOHN EDWARD REYNOLDS, Captain of the National Guards at Redding, California, is a native of Wisconsin. He was born in Dodgeville, August 2, 1849. His father, Edward Reynolds, a native of Scotland, married Margaret Doris, who was born in Wales. They came to the United States in 1840, and settled. in Pennsylvania. In 1849 the father came to California and in 1852 returned for his family, which at that time consisted of wife and, five children. They reached Hangtown (now Placerville) in September of the same year. After a short stay there he went to Volcano Bar, on the American River; and engaged in mining and also kept hotel, being very successful in his undertakings. In 1854 the family came to Shasta County and took up their abode at Whiskeytown, five miles above Shasta. The father entered into a speculation in the Golden Gate Mining Tunnel, being successful in a financial way, but losing his life in the mine. In 1864 the tunnel caved in on him and others and suffocated them. Twenty hours later they were taken out dead.

The subject of this sketch was three years old when he came with his parents to California, and five when he came to Shasta County. The first work he did was when, at the age of ten years, he rode bell horse for a pack train from Shasta to Douglas City, Trinity County, a dis­tance of fifty miles. The train consisted of fifty or sixty mules, and usually there were six men with them. Mr. Reynolds did the cooking, and was employed in that way for a year. After that he went to. work for Town & Taggart, for whom he collected toll and clerked at the Town House. When Mr. Grant purchased the Weaverville and Shasta stage route, Mr. Reynolds became driver and drove till 1867. Then he drove stage for the Oregon and California Stage Company till 1876.

On the 19th of October, 1875, while driving fourteen miles north of Redding, they were stopped by two men who demanded the express box of Wells, Fargo & Co. Mr. Reynolds re­plied that it was locked in the bottom of the boat and they could not get at it at this place. Then the robbers shot at them, and the team ran and they got away without being robbed. On the following Christmas the company made him a present of a gold watch, inscribed as follows: " Presented to John Reynolds in recognition of his courage and devotion to Wells, Fargo & Co's interests, when attacked by high­waymen, October 19, 1875. John J. Valentine, General Superintendent."

In 1876 he went to work for Wells, Fargo & Co., as shot-gun messenger, between Red­ding and Yreka and Redding and Weaver­ville. The gold from both places was sent down by express, from six to seven millions of dollars being sent per year by them. It was Mr. Reynolds' duty to guard it, and he acted in this capacity from 1876 till 1882. On the 6th day of September, 1876, they had $60,000 in gold dust with them and were within a mile of the top of Scott Mountain. At three o'clock A. M. the driver was commanded to halt, and was covered by a revolver in the hands of a masked highwayman. There were three of them, the second armed with a double-barreled shot-gun and the other with a rifle. Mr. Rey­nolds was in the coach, and, pointing his gun out between the curtains, shot the first man in the neck and he fell dead in his tracks. The horses started on the run. One of the high­waymen shot one horse in the fore leg. It ran 100 yards and fell dead. Mr. Reynolds then jumped from the stage and got in the shade of the trees,, expecting a fight. The highwaymen, however, did not come on. One of the lead horses was put in the place of the dead one, and they reached Redding with their treasure in safety. The other men were afterward captured and tried. One pleaded guilty and was ,sentenced for five years. The other was con­victed and sent to San Quentin for ten years. The Express Company showed their apprecia­tion for this service by telegraphing Mr. Rey­nolds a present of $300.

In 1882 he received the appointment of Un­der Sheriff of Shasta County, William B. Hop­ping being Sheriff. This position he now (1890) holds. For the last eight years he has aided in the arrest of many criminals and has taken many to prison. None ever escaped from him after being captured.

December 19, 1889, Company E, Eighth Infantry Battalion, C. N. G., was organized, with sixty of the best young men of Redding. Mr. Reynolds was chosen Captain. They are well equipped, make a fine appearance, and are a credit to themselves as well as the city of Red­ding.

Mr. Reynolds was married, March 6, 1874, to Miss Eva Smithson, a native of Belvidere, Illinois. They have three children, born in Shasta County, namely: Mary L., Eddie S. and John B.

Mr. Reynolds has taken nine degrees in the Masonic order, and has passed all the chairs in the I. 0. 0. F. In 1880 he received the nom­ination for Sheriff by the Republican party, but it was decided by the Superior Court that there would be no election and that the old officer would hold over two years.

 

MARION GRIFFIN, the leading real-estate dealer of Cottonwood, was born in St. Omer, Decatur County, Indiana, September 1, 1858, the son of Charles and Catharine Griffin, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of Kentucky. Mr. Griffin's great-grandfather, Mr. Lyman Griffin, was a physician, and came from England and settled in Vermont, where our subject's father and grand‑father were born. Mr. Griffin's grandfather on the maternal side was Jesse Cain, a wealthy Indiana farmer. Mr. Griffin's parents had four‑teen children, seven of whom are now living. Our subject, the eleventh child, was educated in his native State, first at the St. Omer Academy, and then graduated from the Indiana State Normal School at Terre Haute. He was then a teacher in the public schools for two years. In 1884 lie came to Napa County, California; some of his relatives had died with consumption and he was advised to come to this State for a milder climate, but while in Napa County he was informed that it would be better for him to go to the foothills, and accordingly, on April 9, 1885, went to Cottonwood with his younger brother, Scott Griffin, and went into the real-estate business. Griffin Bros. took hold of the business with a will and since that time have spent about $1,000 a year advertising Cottonwood Valley, as a result of which they soon built up a good business and induced scores of settlers with money to go in and develop the latent resources of that valley. In 1887 they purchased 400 acres of land in Rogue River Valley, Oregon, and laid out the town-site of Tolo, of which Scott Griffin took charge and our subject continued the management of their business at Cottonwood.

When Griffin Bros. located at Cottonwood the place contained only one school-house, an old discarded saloon building. But under their manipulation, and that of a few active young business men, who arrived about the same time, or soon afterward, the aspect of the town radi­cally changed. They now have a fine large two- story brick school-house, which is a credit to the town, two large new churches, four stores, and all other kinds of business duly represented. The large quantities of rich land about the town have been subdivided and sold to industrious settlers; and where there were only evergreen Manzanita's, there are now pleasant homes, vine­yards and orchards. The people who were wont to be satisfied with cheap buildings are now building elegant brick structures, and Cotton­wood is now a clean, healthy, thriving village, with the best of social and educational advan­tages. The people of Cottonwood give Mr. Griffin much praise for his efficient aid in bring­ing about this desirable state of affairs. The people who have purchased the rich fruit lands have planted trees, and have been pleased to see them bear fruit in two years from planting, and four-year-old peach, almond, nectarine and prune orchards bear fruit that yield handsome returns. Such orchards are worth $500 per acre.

In addition to his real-estate business, he is a notary public, and is a bright, wide-awake, en­ergetic gentleman. Mr. Griffin says several thousand acres of land have recently been sold to capitalists, who purchased them for fruit ranches; that they are to be planted to vines and orchards, and that 100,000 fruit trees will be set out this spring (1891) near Cottonwood. He now has valuable tracts of fruit land for sale from ten acres up, at $30 per acre.

After corning to Cottonwood, Mr. Griffin became acquainted with Miss Alice McLain, an accomplished teacher in the schools, and a native daughter of the Golden West; and at Cot­tonwood, December 18, 1887, they were united in marriage, in the Congregational Church, by their pastor, the Rev. J. A. Jones. Mrs. Grif­fin was born at Roseburg, Oregon, October 22, 1865, and reared in Shasta County; is a graduate of the Anderson Normal School, and for several years was a successful "teacher. In ad­dition to his other good qualities, Mr. Griffin is an active Republican, and a strong temper­ance man, not even using tobacco in any way, and has never tasted intoxicating liquor of any kind. He and his wife are both energetic and enthusiastic workers in the Congregational Church.

 

JAMES OSCAR SMITH, one of the early settlers of the county, and a time-tried and reliable citizen and physician, arrived in this county July 4, 1855. He is a native of the State of New York, born in Schoharie County, April 23, 1822, the son of James Smith, who was a native of the same State and' a merchant in Buffalo, and was also a lumber merchant in Canada. He died in 1873. The Doctor's grandfather, John Smith, was a native. of New York, and a soldier in the Revolution; the ancestors of the family came from England. The Doctor's father married Abigail Wattles, a native of Cherry Valley, Connecticut, and they had eleven children, four of whom are now living.

 Dr. Smith, the eldest son, spent the first twelve years of his life in the city of Buffalo, and then attended school for six years in Can­ada. There he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Wallen, with whom he remained eleven years. The Doctor came to California and began practice at Middletown, where he re­mained nine years. He then purchased a ranch of 240 acres, and in connection with his medi­cal practice carried on the farm for two years. He then sold and purchased another 240 acres, on which he resided until 1885. He was engaged in raising cattle, horses and sheep, and from time to time added to his ranch until he had 4,000 acres, which he afterward sold and moved into Cottonwood. While on his ranch his house was robbed and burned when the family was absent, causing him a loss of $3,000, but it was thought that the thieves did not get over $150. The Doctor has built him a good residence and office in Cottonwood, where he has in a measure retired, and is living upon the interest of his money. For some years he has been engaged in money lending. During his long life he has waited upon and adminis­tered to the suffering of both rich and poor alike, both in the day and night and in all kinds of weather, accepting pay from those who had it, and giving it to those who were too poor to pay. For a long time he was the only physician in his part of the county. The Doctor has a fine constitution, and is a strong and hearty man, who has witnessed the growth of the great commonwealth in which he lives, and is one of its active citizens. Before the war he was a Douglas Democrat, but at Lincoln's second election he became a Republican, and has since voted that ticket. He is also a strong temperance man..

Dr. Smith was married in Canada, in 1843, to Miss Jane Stooer, a native of Nova Scotia, and they have been blessed with six children, three boys and three girls, but one of whom is deceased. ;

 

THOMAS JEFFERSON MCCABE, a citizen of Cottonwood, who has done much for the growth of the county by his example in the field of horticulture, having planted a fine tract of his ranch to fruit, and thereby demonstrating the wonderful capability of the county to produce fruit without irrigation. He was born in Shelby County, Indiana, October 17, 1856, the son of Thomas E. McCabe, who was also a native of the same State; the family originated in Ireland. He married Mary Robertson, a native of his own State, and the daughter of James Robertson, a native of Kentucky. They had sixteen children, eleven of whom still survive, eight boys and three girls.

 Mr. McCabe, the eighth child and one of twins, was reared his in native State, and when twenty-one years of age came to California, but afterward returned and remained three months. He then came again to this State and settled in Cloverdale, Sonoma County, where he was married to Miss Marcella Saling, a native of California, and a daughter of Peter Saling, an early settler of this State. They have four children, three born in Colusa County, and the youngest born at Cottonwood, namely: Lena, Clara M., Orrin L. and Ethel L. They removed to Cottonwood in May, 1886, and purchased eighty acres of choice fruit land near the town. He has improved the place by building a home and the necessary farm buildings, and in 1888 planted twenty acres of peaches and pears, which have made a good growth, many of them having commenced to bear.

In politics Mr. McCabe is a Republican, and in 1888 was elected a Justice of the Peace in his township. He and his wife are influential members of the Congregational Church, and Mr. McCabe is a Deacon and Superintendent of the Sunday-school. He is one of those reliable men that can be depended upon in everything in which they engage.

 

WALTER W. FELTS, the founder of the Shasta County Index, now changed to the Cottonwood Register, was born December 7, 1848, in Mississippi, the son of Asahel Felts, a native of the same State. He was deprived of his parents by death when but a
child, and knows but little of them. He received his education at the Hesperian, and at the Metnodist College at Vacaville, Solano County. He purchased an interest in the Maxwell store in Colusa County, and was connected with it three years. In 1885 he came to Cottonwood, and found a small place, wanting in enterprise, and also met with a good deal of opposition in starting his paper; but, aided by a few of the enterprising business men, the opposition was overcome and the town was improved. Mr. Felts is not only a business and newspaper man but is a close thinker, and has recently pub­lished a book which shows that he takes a com­plete departure from old accepted scientific ideas. His work is the " Principles of Science," and he is about to publish a revised edition. His book is a cornplete over throw of some old scientific ideas, dispensing with both gravitation and centrifu­gal force, and several of the leading educational men of the State speak in the highest terms of his book and the new ideas it presents. Mr. Felts is a Christian man, a believer in the reli­gion taught in the Scriptures, and in his early life he was for, some years a teacher. He is a strong temperance man, and favors Prohibition, but is a liberal Democrat.

He was married  in 1885, to Miss Fanny H. Rice, a native of Missouri, and they have one son,' born in Ashland, Oregon. Mr. Felts has bought considerable town property and is alive to the interests of Cottonwood and the State.

 

HENRY CLAY FOSTER, the successful and popular young druggist of Cottonwood, was born September 2, 1869, in Jackson County, Indiana, the son of Albert S. and Callie (James) Foster, both natives of the same State. His ancestors on the paternal side were from Germany, and on the maternal side from England. His parents had five children, four of whom are now living, three boys and one girl. The family came to Tehama County, California, in 1872, and settled at Vina, where the subject of this sketch was reared and educated. His father's occupation had been that of a teacher, but after coming to this State he purchased a ranch at Vina. It was decided that the subject of this sketch should become a doctor, and he commenced the study of medi­cine under Dr. J. W. Harvey, one of the most prominent physicians of the county. He remained with him two years, and then ran a drug store in Villa one year. In 1889 he purchased the Cottonwood drug store, and began business for himself, which has proved an eminent suc­cess. He has a good stock, gives his busi­ness close attention, and enjoys the trade of the entire city. Mr. Foster has also purchased property in Cottonwood, takes an interest in the improvement of this city, and intends to make it his permanent home. In political views he is a Republican.

 

WILLIAM F. PRICE.--No apology need be made for collecting and recording the history of the men who were the pioneers and early settlers of the great State of California, f or their adventurous spirit, fortitude, courage and persistency has not been excelled in the world's history. The subject of this sketch has not only the honor of being one of these early settlers, but is also the pioneer merchant of the town of Cottonwood. He is a self-educated man, who by his own personal and industrious efforts, has gained for himself suc­cess and valuable property.

He was born in St. Louis, Missouri, May 18, 1821, the son of Isaac Price, who was a native of North Carolina, and Tabitha (Wilkenson) Price, who was born in Virginia, and was of English ancestry. They had a family of five children, two of whom still survive. Mr. Price's sister, now Mrs. Emeline Bond, wife of William Bond, now resides in Wisconsin. When thir­teen years of age our subject began his mercantile experience as a store boy in Illinois and he not only learned good business habits, but from day to day picked up his own education in the dear school of experience. A kind lady, the wife of his employer, gave him some instructions at spare times, and it is to his credit to add that he remained there until he was twenty-one years of age. Be then went to Galena, Illinois, where he was engaged as a teamster in hauling lead. He next removed to Wisconsin, and engaged in both mining and clerking for three and a half years, and at that time was attacked with the gold fever. He bought four good horses and a mule, and made the journey overland, bringing with him a man and a boy. They traveled alone, but camped near some company of emigrants every night, their journey occupying ninety-seven days.

They arrived at Placerville, El Dorado County, and at once engaged in the search for gold at White Rock, in which they were quite successful. Mr. Price and another man worked together on a claim 100 yards long, the dirt being from two to four feet deep over the bed rock,' which they removed that winter, and on the whole of their claim took out $14,000 during the same winter. There were miners in the same gulch, both below and above them, for two miles in length. From that place to Montezuma Flats they were successful, and took out about $11,000. He and his partner then bought claims, in which they sunk their former earnings, and on leaving took away only $600. Mr. Price then went to Sacramento, where he remained but a short time, and in the spring of 1853 went to Yreka, where he mined and trad­ed for ten years, with both good and bad luck. In one of his transactions he made $6,000, but lost it all in the mines. From there he moved to Virginia City, and engaged in mining in the Golden Courier mines, remaining two years and meeting with poor success. In 1864 he went to Red Bluff, and for a year rented the Star Ranch; then be accepted a position in the hard­ware store of Herbert Kraft, and was there at intervals seven and a half years. In 1874 he came to Cottonwood, and bought out the store of a man named Simon, and organized the firm of Price & Co., Mr. A. S. Schuman being his partner. At that time the railroad had only been built two years, and the town contained only a few houses, and their trade rapidly in creased until they were doing a large mercantile business, both in the sale of merchandise and in the purchase and shipment of wool and grain. Their first store, a frame building, 22 x 56 feet, they were soon obliged to enlarge, and they are now building a fine brick store 50 x80 feet. The firm of Price & Co. have been very successful, and they have done nearly all of the work of their large business themselves since its commencement. Hard, earnest work and close application to business has earned for them a fine property; the treatment of their customers have been so uniformly just that many of the men who first began to trade with them are still their customers. They have in­vested in lands, and own several thousand acres.

Mr. Price has never married, and resides with his partner. They are like brothers, notwithstanding that Mr. Price' people were Southerners, he became a Republican at the organization of that party, and has remained with it ever since.

 

CHARLES KEIR .MeELWEE, a native son ay of the Golden West, and a . prominent business man of the city of Redding, Shasta County, was born October 21, 1856, in the first brick building erected in the city of San Francisco, on Commercial street, below Montgomery. His father, John V. McElwee, was a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, born in 1821, and his grandfather, Charles McElwee, came from Scotland before the Revolution, and was a participant in that war. The father mar­ried Mary Scott, a native of Nova Scotia, whose ancestors settled in Boston before the Revolu­tion, but remained loyal to the King, and escaped to Nova Scotia, where they resided for many years. Mr. and Mrs. McElwee were the parents of five children, all of whom are living. Their father came to California in 1850, tried mining at first, and then settled on a fine ranch below Sacramento on the river. A flood came soon afterward and drove them out, and they went to San Francisco, where he engaged in the furniture business, which had been his occupation in the East. This trade he carried on successfully until his death, which occurred in 1882. He was a good citizen and a thorough business man; his wife still survives him.

Charles McElwee, the subject of this sketch, was educated at the Lincoln School in San Francisco, and learned the upholstering trade. He started out for himself in that business in 1874, in San Francisco,. and after a year removed to Seattle, but concluding not to locate there he returned to San Francisco, where he remained until 1888. He then learned that there was a good opening for business at Redding, and he accordingly engaged in business in this city, in partnership with Herbert Moody. They have a fine store, 50 x 80 feet, and a shop 25 x 40 feet, which is the first and only store in the city, and they enjoy a nice trade, their customers coming to them from 250 miles' distance. Mr McElwee has. purchased his partner's interest, and is now the sole proprietor. He is also in­terested in town property in Redding.

He was married to Miss Jennie Gould, a native of Boston, and daughter of Governor Gould, and is of Scotch ancestry. Mr. Elwee is a Native Son of the Golden West; an Odd Fellow; and a member of the Order of Red Men. His politi­cal views are Republican, with strong American tendencies. He is a man of good business ability.

 

JOHN H. FOSTER, one of the prominent merchants of Cottonwood, is a native of the Golden West, born in Shasta, August. 30, 1856. His father, Jacob Foster, came to California in 1849, and in two years returned East after his family, and again came to this State in 1852. He was a native of Germany, and was married in St. Louis, Missouri, to Miss Adaline Hertling, also a native of Germany. They had seven children, five of whom are still living.

Mr. Foster, the subject of this sketch, received his education in Cottonwood, and also took a full business course at Heald's Business College at San Francisco. He learned telegraphy, and was engaged in railroading eighteen years. In 1884 the firm of Becker & Foster was organ­ized, they having purchased the stock and good­will of William Knowlton, and they now have a large double store filled with a desirable stock of general merchandise. They enjoy a satisfac­tory trade, which extends to a distance of from thirty-five to forty miles. Mr. Foster has also invested in village property, and has a very pleasant home where he now resides. He is a business man of energy and ability. His father, Jacob Foster, was the founder of the town of Cottonwood, and was the owner of the ranch on which the town was built; he also built the first hotel. . His son, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Cottonwood, and has been the railroad agent in the town for eighteen years, and it is not to be wondered at that he takes just pride in its growth. He is one of those ready busi­ness men who take hold on whatever has to be done, in connection with his large and diversi­fied business.

Mr. Foster was united in marriage with Miss Philipina Rieser, a native daughter of the Golden West, born in Red Bluff. This union has been blessed with three children tall born in Cottonwood, namely: Ellis J., Joseph A. and Carrie.

 

COLONEL WILLIAM MAGEE is a man of mark, one of the striking figures in the early history of Northern California, and a representative pioneer of Shasta County. He arrived in San Francisco December 1, 1849. He was born in Darlington district, South Carolina, among the rice plantations, February 1, 1806. His father, John Magee, was a native of North Carolina. Time progenitor of the family was a descendant of the Scottish chieftains who emigrated to the Colonies very early, settling in North Carolina, and became the ancestor of one 50 of the old Southern families. John Magee, the Colonel's father, married Winnie Whiden, also a native of North Carolina. They had eight chil­dren, four sons and four daughters, four of whom are now living. Colonel Magee, their oldest child, received his early education in Wayne County, Mississippi. When he be­came a man Ile engaged in business in Alabama, and also was Deputy Sheriff seven years; was Deputy United States Marshal for eight years in the days of General Jackson and Van Buren. He was Sheriff in Mobile, Alabama, for four years,—from 1836 till 1840; from there he re­moved to New Orleans and engaged in the mer­cantile business for a time; then sold out and came to California, in search of the golden treasures hidden in her mountains. He was thirty days on the journey, by the way of the Isthmus, besides being detained twenty days at Panama, and sailed thence .on the steamer Oregon for San Fr.m.3isco. He went to Shasta in May, 1850, when there were about 300 people there, living in tents and cloth houses. Mr. Magee put his horse in the corral, and with many others made his bed with his blankets on the ground, in what is now the principal street in the town. All goods and supplies were taken to Shasta by team from Red Bluff, and from Shasta the goods were packed on mules over the county, no wagon road being above Shasta. At times miles of the road was block­aded with heavily loaded wagons drawn by five yokes of oxen each, and for miles the stage could not get past them, and sometimes was delayed hours. Five hundred pack mules were loaded in the streets of Shasta to distribute supplies to the places further north. Few people can re­alize the rush and crowd of mules and prospect­ors that gathered around the place.

Colonel Magee remained at Shasta and on Major Redding's ranch for four years. He surveyed the ranch for the Major and got his title perfected, and had charge of the property for three years. He was then appointed United States Deputy Surveyor and extended the Government surveys all over the county of Shasta.

 The Colonel, with his assistants, lived in the mountains and valleys. His surveying business he followed until a recent date. Among Colonel Magee's chainmen in an early day was C. C. Bush, then a young man and now the Hon. Judge C. C. Bush, another of Shasta's repre­sentative citizens. The Colonel's business gave him a complete knowledge of the county, which paved the way for his fortune. He was the dis­coverer of Iron Mountain in 1870. He found a lone miner in camp on the mountain, who knew what iron was, and pointed it out to him. The Colonel bought his interest in it for $100, and took a deed for that interest, and then set about getting a patent from the Government to the mountain. It was situated within railroad limits, and he could not obtain a title until a special act of Congress was enacted to authorize the location of agricultural college scrip within railroad limits. Iron Mountain at that time was included in agricultural land. As soon as the act of Congress was passed he located the mountain with agricultural scrip, and proceeded to perfect his title for the grant through the State of California. Commencing in 1871 to improve the mountain, he worked on, treating it as a mountain of iron until early in 1880, when James Salee, a practical miner, was pros­pecting there for silver and gold and found sil­ver in the mountain. That was nine years after the patent had been obtained as agricultural land. The Colonel advised the Government that silver had been found on the land. Being in doubt about the strength of his title, he pro­posed to re-deed the land to the Government, reserving the privilege of buying it as mineral land. The Secretary of the Interior, after investigating the matter, decided that he would not permit him to reconvey the land; that he considered his title good, having been held as agricultural land for nine years before the silver was discovered. The Colonel then gave Mr. Salee a third interest in the mine which he had discovered, and he called it the Lost California Mine. In the meantime another partner, Charles Camden, was taken in, and they have been mining silver ever since. In 1886 they built a twenty-stamp mill, and have taken out several hundred thousand dollars. They have 640 acres of land in the mountain, and the largest quantity of the best iron ore known to exist in the United States, and in a very pure condition. The silver lode is 130 feet wide, extending three-fourth:3 of a. mile and cropping out on the other side of the mountain. They employ forty hands at the mine. It is seven and one-half miles from Shasta. The road to the mine was built at a cost of $8,000.

In 1854 Colonel Magee purchased the cozy and pleasant home in which he has since resided. He was thrice married: first in Mobile, in 1828, to Miss Margaret M. Bass, and they had one daughter, Caroline Virginia, who is now the wife of Judge Hobbs, of Franklin County, New York. Mrs. Magee died in 1869, and after some years the Colonel married Mrs. Mary Perry, whose death occurred in 1887; and in 1888 he married for his present wife, Mrs. Ann L. Moon, a native of New York. They are living very happily together. Mrs. Magee is a very kind and agreeable lady, is very fond of the Colonel, and very attentive to him.

 His political views are Democratic. He has lived to the ripe age of eighty-four years; is a large gentleman, a fine representative of the old Scotch ancestry from which he sprang several generations ago.

 

RICHARD HENRY 'FEENY, proprietor of the Feeny Hotel, French Gulch, is a California Forty-niner. He has passed many years of pioneer life on this coast, and has seen the wonderful transformation which has taken place in this State since the first grand rush was made for the new El Dorado. A brief sketch of his life is as follows:

Mr. Feeny was, born in West Meath, Ireland, in 1822, the son of Richard and Mary (Hadlet) Eeeny, both natives of Ireland. He is the only survivor of a family of thirteen children, five of whom grew to maturity. He received his education in the Emerald Isle, and was there em­ployed in the drug business for two years. That work, however, was not congenial to his taste, and he emigrated to New York in April, 1840. At that place lie worked in a brick­yard for nine years, until the gold excitement broke out in California. He sailed from New York in the Sarah and Eliza, February 14, 1849, and arrived in California September 17. When he landed in San Francisco that city was a town of cloth,—as he says, " a town of rag houses." Mr. Feeny went to Sacramento and from there to Weaver Creek, where he worked and made eight dollars per day. In the spring of 1850 he went to Coloma, remaining at that place about a month. In seven and a half days' work he took out $1,040 with a rocker., Then be went to Sacramento and paid $140 for a horse, on which he traveled to the Middle Yuba. There he worked three years and saved $5,000. He made much more money than that, but, like other miners, he spent it freely. Next he went. to the South mines, and afterward returned to his claim. On the 5th of September he and his brother went to election at Orleans Flat. While there some of their friends got into a row. His brother, while trying to extricate his friend, was stabbed and died. • Mr. Feeny made every effort to find and bring to justice his brother's murderer, but he escaped. After that our subject went .to Siskiyou County, and pur­chased an interest in a toll-road, and kept it for sixteen Years. During that time he bought the whole road. In 1885 he came to French Gulch, and built the Feeny Hotel and his own resi­dence, at a cost of $12,000.

 In 1875 Mr. Feeny married Miss Sarah J. Dailey, a native of Ireland. To them three children have been born, two in Trinity County and one in Shasta. Their names are Mary Elizabeth, Thomas Henry and Arlieta. Mr. Feeny is a stanch Democrat, but often votes for the best man regardless of party. As a citizen he is highly respected by all. Ile has experienced much of, the ups and downs of a miner's life, and at this writing (1890) is interested in quartz. milling.

 

GEORGE R. KNOX, one of the early settlers of Shasta County, California, is a native of Saratoga, New York. He was born August 20, 1822, the son of William B. and Inlam (Hayes) Knox, both natives of New York City. Grandfather Knox was born in Scotland, the country that has furnished so many brave soldiers and such fine physical specimens of the human race. Mr. and Mrs. Knox both died in 1859, leaving two children, natives of the State of New York, William Henry and George R.

The subject of this sketch received his education in Rochester, and afterward became a clerk in Albany, where he was in business four years. He then removed to Galway, New York, and engaged in the mercantile business on his own account, conducting it four years. He spent one season in Troy in the forwarding business. From there he went to New York city, and filled the position of book-keeper for a firm three years. In the spring of 1853 he came to California, and engaged in mining until 1861, a part of the time being on Whisky Creek. His best day's work while there made him $150. He came to Shasta in 1862, and opened the saloon business, in which he has been engaged most of the time since. He has a fine large billiard room. In it are many specimens of mineral taken from the Shasta County Moun­tains. Judge Knox keeps what he now calls Knox's Reading Rooms, and counts among his customers many of the citizens of Shasta and surrounding country. He is interested in sev­eral good mines, among them the Highland Chief, the Ark, the Alexander, the Goodenough and the Golden Eagle.

 The Judge was married in 1843, to Miss Sarah C. Mead, a native of Troy, New York. They had one child, Ann R., now the wife of P. A. Simmons. They reside in New York.

 Mrs. Knox died in 1889. Judge Knox has recently married Mrs. Celinda Isaacs, the widow of Joseph Isaacs. She is a native of New York, and was formerly Miss Celinda M. Downer.

 Our subject is a Republican, and has held the office of Justice of 'the Peace for the last twenty years, and that of Notary Public for fourteen pars. He is a charter member of the lodge and encampment of L O. O. F., has held the office of District Deputy Grand Master and Grand Patriarch, and was a member of the Grand Lodge and Grand Encampment of the State. He is an intelligent representative of the early days in California; is both a good- looking and a kind-hearted gentleman.

 

WILLIAM A. BOSWELL is one of the industrious, energetic and well-to-do citizens of Shasta. He was born in Illinois, November 3, 1846, and was brought to California when four years of age, in 1850, by his parents, Andrew J. and Rebecca (Carlin) Boswell. His father was born in Tennessee, and the family were residents of that State for many years. His mother was a native of Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Boswell had four sons and three daughters, the subject of this sketch being the oldest child. He was educated in El Dorado County, near the site of Sutter's mill, where he resided until twenty-one years of age. He followed stock-raising in both Colusa and Tehama counties, raising many horses and cattle. In 1883 he came to Shasta, and opened a meat market, in which he has been very successful. He has the only business of the kind in the town. He runs three teams and supplies people with meat for fifteen and twenty miles out from Shasta.

 Mr. Boswell was married in 1883, to Miss Mary E. Divine, a native of Missouri,. and daughter of Thomas Divine. When she was two years old her mother died, and she was reared :by Mr. Boswell's aunt. Mr. and Mrs. Boswell have two sons and a daughter born in Shasta, namely: William M., Andrew A. and California. Mrs. Boswell is a member of the Christian, 'Church. Mr. Boswell is a Chapter Mason, and is now the Junior Warden of the lodge: His political views are Democratic. He resides with his family in their pleasant home on  Main street in Shasta.

 

FRANK LITSCH is one of the representative citizens and business men of Shasta County. He was born in Baden, Ger­many, November 7, 1835, of German parents. He was educated in his native country, and there learned the trade of baker. After the term of his apprenticeship had expired, in 1853, when eighteen years of age, he came to the United States of America. He spent one year as a baker and clerk in a store in Missouri, and the following year, hearing of the new El Dorado of the West, he came to California in pursuit of gold. After landing in San Francisco he came direct to Shasta County, where for three years he was engaged in mining at Lower Springs without any remarkable success,—his largest find in one day being $40. He then came to Shasta, and for three years was bar-tender for his brother, Charles Litsch. - In 1863 he started a store on his own account, on the ground adjoining his present location. He now owns and occupies both stores. Until-1869 he was in partnership with Fred Michaelson. They moved their stock to Lewiston, Trinity County, pur­chased the store of Isaac Shaw, and conducted it till 1872: At that time Mr. Litsch sold out and went to San Francisco, remaining in that city a year. In the fall of 1873 he returned to Shasta and started a general merchandise store, and has successfully conducted it since that time. He has been continuously in business longer than any other merchant in the town. He is interested in a valuable quartz mine which is now being developed.

 In 1863 Mr: Litsch wedded a Miss Sheure, a native of the city of New Orleans. Their union has been blessed with four children, two of whom are living, both born in Shasta: Elizabeth and Emma. Their son, Joseph, lived to be twenty-three years of age, and died of heart dis­ease. The other child died at the age of nine months.

Mr. Litsch is an I. 0. 0. F., has passed all the chairs of the order and is now Treasurer. He is a charter. member of the A. 0. U. W., and is now holding the office of Financier. Politically he is a Democrat. In 1886 he was elected one of the Supervisors of the county, which office he is now filling. He is a valuable and worthy member of society, ever ready to do what he can for the advancement of the best interests of the community in which he resides.

 

JOHN VARNER SCOTT is one of the old representative Californians who came to this State in the early days of its history. Since that time he has been identified with the interests of Shasta County as a miner, a hotel- keeper, and, lastly, receiver at the United States Land Office, now located at Redding. He is a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, born Decem­ber 27, 1821. His parents were Hugh and Margaret (Moore) Scott, natives of the Emerald Isle. To them were born nine children, some in Ireland, some in England and some in the United States, as they removed to England and from there to Pennsylvania, settling in time latter place in 1833. Five of the family survive.

 The subject of this sketch left his home in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, in 1851, and came via the Isthmus route to California, arriving in San Francisco in 1852. The Atlantic voyage was . made in the United States steamer Atlantic,. and the journey was finished in the Clarissa Andrews. Upon his arrival at this coast he came direct to Shasta, where he engaged in mining and was fairly successful.. He has seen two ounces of gold taken from a single pan of dirt. He says the largest piece ever mined in Shasta County was taken out by Rochon and his partner at Spring Creek, three and a half miles from Shasta. It weighed sixteen pounds and was worth about $4,000

 In 1854 Mr. Scott purchased an interest in the Franklin Hotel, and conducted it until 1868. In the mean time he bought out his partners, Alfred Walton and James W. Tull. In 1868 he purchased the Empire. Hotel, which he ran until 1889. During his career as a hotel-keeper in Shasta he entertained-large numbers of people who were attracted to the town by the rich mines in its vicinity. Among his frequent guests were such men as Leland Stanford, David Gwinn, Joaquin MIiller,, Governor Haight, John P. Jones, Governor Bigler, Major Bidwell, George C. Gorham and hosts of others. For sev­eral years Shasta was the end of the wagon road, and from there supplies were packed on mules. In this way the machinery for mills was taken, 400 to 450 pounds being an ordinary load fora mule. Mr. Scott says he knew one mule to carry 1,000 pounds of flour twenty rods, most of the way up grade; another packed an iron safe, weighing 650 pounds, to Yreka, a distance of 120 miles, was not unloaded until it reached its destination and did not lie down while on the journey. Mr. Scott is interested in the Bunker Hill quartz mine, and also in some gold and silver mines. The Empire Hotel still belongs to him. He is one of the nineteen voters of Shasta County who cast their ballot for Gen­eral John C. Fremont in 1856, and he has since voted with  the Republican party. September 1, 1889, be was commissioned receiver in the United States Land Office, in which position he now serves, and to which he gives his close attention. He is one of the prominent members of Western Star Lodge, No. g, the -first instituted Masonic lodge in the State. of California, and has filled all its offices. He is also a member of the Connell and Chapter, and is a member of the Legion of Honor.

Mr. Scott was married in 1863, to Miss Kate Linch, a native of Ireland. Since that time she has been his faithful companion, the sharer of his joys and sorrows. They live in a cozy home on one of the picturesque hills of the old mining town of Shasta.

 

LUDWIG ANDERSON, a lumberman of Martinez, was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, August 26, 1825, and at the age of sixteen years he became a mariner, and at the end of six years of seafaring life he found him­self in New York city, whence he came to Cal­lao and Lima, in Peru, in 1849. In the latter part of this year lie sailed on the baroque Ellitta and arrived in Sari Francisco in August, 1850. During the same year he made the round trip to Panama on the steamer Oregon, which brought the first tidings to the coast that California had been admitted into the Union. He then followed the coasting trade until 1860, and finally, having learned that Captain Anderson of the excellence of the Contra Costa region, lie determined to locate at Pacheco, which was then flourishing. At that place he opened a lumber yard, which he still conducts with satisfactory success; and he has branched out into Martinez in his extending business. By an unflinching integrity and indomitable perseverance he has acquired considerable possessions in different portions of the county.

He was married in San Francisco November 23, 1858, to Miss Honora Troy, a native of Ire­land, and has seven children living:. Marie C., Louis D., Nora A., Mary M., Annie N., Jence J. and Elizabeth T.

 

JAMES L. PACE, a farmer of Yolo, is a son of Richard R. and Elizabeth (Proctor) Pace, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Tennessee. He was born in Boone County, Missouri, August 16, 1836, and at the age of twenty-two years he went to Pike's Peak with ox teams, and three weeks afterward came on to California with the same outfit, arriving on the banks of Mokelumne River, where the train disbanded. Mr. Pace came to Yolo County and worked by the day until the spring of 1863, when' he went to the coast and bought a drove of hogs, brought them to Yolo Valley, fattened them in the stubble fields and then dis­posed of them the same year. He then bought another drove and took them in the mountains near Auburn and sold them there. Returning to Yolo County, he drove a number of the same to Cedar Lake for H. C. Yerby, in 1864, and remained there until 1866. During this time he purchased a small ranch in- Lake County, bought some stock for it, and in 1866 drove a band of cattle to Yolo County and pastured them upon the old Snodgrass ranch, being a partner of D. Cramer. He then disposed of his ranch in Lake County, married Miss Porter, October 6, 1875, and began to spend their summer seasons in Yolo and their winters on the ranch. In 1889 Mr. Pace bought another ranch of 160 acres about three miles from Yolo and eight from Woodland, where they expect to make their permanent home. The ranch of 8,000 acres belonging to Messrs. Pace & Cramer is well stocked.

Mr. Pace's children are: Ralph H., Myrtle A. and Pauline E., all natives of Yolo County.

A Memorial & Biographical History of Northern California: Chicago : The Lewis Publishing Company, 1891

Transcribed by Martha A Croslery Graham 10 October 2008 - Pages 774 -790

 

Site Created: 10 September 2008

Martha A Crosley Graham

Rights Reserved: 2008