Modoc County, California
Biographies

TERRY V DAVENPORT

Terry V. Davenport has been engaged in the plumbing business at Riverside since 1906. has built up a substantial and representative enterprise in this field and is known and valued as one of the wide-awake and progressive young business men and loyal and appreciative citizens of Riverside County. Further interest attaches to his status in the community by reason of the fact that he is a native son of California, his birth having occurred in Surprise Valley, in Modoc County, on the 22nd of July, 1882. His father, T. W. Davenport, who is now living virtually retired at Arlington, Riverside County, was born in Missouri, devoted the major part of his active career to farm industry and served during the Civil war as a gallant soldier of the Union. He is a republican in political allegiance, was active in public affairs in earlier years and served for a time as judge of the Superior Court of Dade County, Missouri. He first came to California in 1881, and established his home on a farm in Modoc County, where his son Terry V. of this review was born. Finally T. W. Davenport returned to Missouri, but in 1906 he came again to California, where he continued his association with agricultural enterprise until his retirement, since which time he has resided in his pleasant home at Arlington. He is affiliated with the Grand Army of the Republic and with the Masonic fraternity. His father was a native of Scotland. As a young man T. W. Davenport wedded Miss Mary Davis, who likewise was born and reared in Missouri, the Davis family lineage tracing back to staunch English origin and representatives of the name having come to America in the colonial period, as attested by the fact that members of the family were found as patriot soldiers of the Continental Line in the War of the Revolution. The gracious marital ties of many years were severed when the loved wife and mother was summoned to the life eternal, her death having occurred in December, 1919.

The early education of Terry V. Davenport was obtained principally in the public schools of Missouri, and his initial experience of practical order was in connection with farm operations, with which he continued his association in Missouri until 1905, when he there learned the plumber's trade. In 1906 he came with his parents to California, the state of his nativity, and for the first year thereafter he followed the work of his trade in an individual way at Riverside. He then formed a partnership with his brother, J. H. Davenport, and they continued the plumbing business under the title of Davenport Brothers until 1913, when Terry V. sold his interest and resumed independent operations. He has built up a substantial and prosperous business, fully fifty per cent, of which is of contract order, and a large part of the new plumbing work in the Riverside district in recent years has been installed by him. In partnership with his brother-in-law, C. E. Sunstedt, he is the owner also of a well improved alfalfa and cotton ranch of 120 acres in the Palo Verde Valley, and the place is under the direct management of Mr. Sunstedt. He has varied mining interests in both California and Nevada.

Though he has had no desire to enter the arena of practical politics, Mr. Davenport is aligned loyally in the ranks of the republican party. He is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World, and both he and his wife hold membership in the United Brethren Church of Riverside, in which he is serving as a member of the Board of Stewards.

December 21, 1905, recorded the marriage of Mr. Davenport with Miss Eva Harp, who was born in the State of New York and whose mother, Mrs. Helen Harp, resided in that state until her death in September, 1921. Mr. and Mrs. Davenport became the parents of one son and four daughters, the son having died in infancy. Lois Evelyn, eldest of the daughters, is a member of the class of 1923 in the Riverside High School; Alta May and Norma Aileen are likewise attending the public schools; and Rachel Ann, who maintains gracious sovereignty in the family home circle, is not yet of school age at the time of this writing, in 1921. V

San Bernardino And Riverside Counties: John Brown, Jr, Editor for San Bernardino County & James Boyd, Editor for Riverside County Volume II ~ The Western Historical Association, 1922, Page 933

DR. SAMUEL C. GIBSON

...is engaged in the practice of medicine in Reno as a member of the regular school, and in recognition of the skill he has acquired he has now a liberal practice bringing to him an excellent income. He has resided on the Pacific coast since 1880, and has always lived west of the Mississippi river, his birth having occurred in Steelville, Missouri, on the 9th of September, 1857. His grandfather, Alexander Gibson, was born in Ireland, and when a young man crossed the water to the new world, settling in Baltimore, Maryland, where for many years he was a prosperous merchant. His son. who also bore the name of Alexander Gibson, and was the father of Dr. Gibson, became a physician and surgeon, and in 1846 removed to Missouri, where he engaged in practice throughout his remaining days, his death occurring in 1900, when he was in his seventy-second year. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Haney Halbert, was a native of South Carolina, and by her marriage became the mother of ten children, six of whom are yet living. She died in the thirty-eighth year of her age. Alexander Gibson was a Democrat in his political affiliations, but was most devoted to his profession and never cared to give his time and attention to political work. One of his sons, who is Alexander Gibson, the third son practicing physician and surgeon of Modoc county, California.

Dr. S. C. Gibson is indebted to the schools of his native state for the educational privileges which he received. His professional knowledge was also acquired there, for, determining to make the practice of medicine V; life work, he was graduated from the Missouri Medical College in March 1879. Thus, well equipped for the practice of his profession, he made T: way westward, locating first in Anderson. Shasta county. California, where he remained for five years. On the expiration of that period he removed Alturas, Modoc county, California, where he practiced for ten years, and in 1895 he located in Reno, where he has since remained. Here the public was accorded him recognition of his ability by giving to him a liberal patronage. The knowledge he has acquired he applies with accuracy to the case in question. He is most careful in diagnosing a case, and his judgment is rare; if ever, at fault in determining a disease or predicting its course and outcome. He is now the president of the state board of health, and is the chic, surgeon of the California, Nevada & Oregon Railroad Company. He is likewise a member of the Nevada State Medical Society, the American Medical Society, and the International Association of Railway Surgeons, and thus keeps in touch with the advance thought of the profession, using his knowledge thus acquired for the benefit of mankind in the alleviation of human suffering. The Doctor is also a member of the Board of directors of the Farmers & Merchants Bank of Reno. In his political views be is a Democrat, but the honors and emoluments of office have little attraction to him as h prefers to devote his energies to his profession, in which he is meeting with signal success. However, he takes a deep interest in the success of party, doing all he can for its promotion outside of office, and is now a member of both the county and state central committees.

Dr. Gibson was married in 1882. the lady of his choice being Miss Mary E. Roycroft, a native daughter of California. born in Red Bluff. They new have four children, three sons and a daughter, the latter. Agnes Pearl, being a student in the State University. The sons, Thomas R., Samuel  and Robert Lee. are also students. The family home is one of the elegant residences of Reno, and the members of the household are most highly esteemed in this city and state. The Doctor has been a member of the Masonic order since 1881, and enjoys the warm regard of his brethren of the craft. His manner is genial, and his cordial disposition and sympathetic nature make him a favorite in social circles as well as at the bedside of his patients in portion of the state.

A History of the State of Nevada: The late Hon. Thomas Wren of Reno, Editor-in-Chief ~ The Lewis Publishing Company, New York & Chicago, 1904 Pages 619-620

 

PINKSTON W. LAIRD

...lives on a farm situated two and a half miles above Coquille on the Coquille river. He owns there one hundred and four acres of land and in addition to its cultivation is making a specialty of dairying and stock-raising. He was born in Modoc county, California, in 1877, a son of John C. and Janie Laird. The mother was a native of Ireland and the father of the state of New York but they were married in Modoc county, where they resided until 1879, when they removed to Coos county, Oregon,, settling on the Coquille river, about two miles from the town of Coquille. The father there secured a claim of three hundred and' twenty acres and also bought other land until he owned six hundred and forty acres, largely covered with timber. In 1889 he sold that property and purchased the farm now owned by his son Pinkston W., comprising one hundred and four acres. There he made his home until February, 1904, when death called him. His widow still survives and is living in Coquille, at the age of sixty-nine years. In their family were six children: Eunice, who is the wife of George T Schroeder of Florence, Oregon; Mrs. Annie Von Pegert, of Coquille; James W., living near Coquille; Pinkston W.; Warren C., of Coquille; and George P., whose home is at Bandon, Oregon.

Pinkston W. Laird was educated in the schools of Coos county, supplementing the work of the grammar grades by two years study in the high school. He remained at home to the time of his marriage and then took charge of his father's place. Two years later he bought this farm of one hundred and four acres, of which seventy-five acres is under cultivation. There are many excellent improvements upon the place and he makes a specialty of dairying and stockraising, handling thoroughbred stock, both cattle and hogs. He also owns one hundred and sixty acres of timber land on Catching creek, in" Coos county, and also five business lots in Richmond, California. 

In 1903 Mr. Laird was married to Miss Flora M. McCloskey, a native of Kansas and a daughter of Samuel J. and Mary A. McCloskey, who lived in that state for a number of years and in 1880 came to Oregon, settling at Gravel Ford, Coos county, where they remained until 1894. They then sold their farm and purchased other land at Norway, Oregon, still owning their sixty-three acres. The father conducted a general mercantile store and a creamery to the time of his death in June, 1907. The mother still lives at Norway. In their family were nine children, seven of whom survive, namely: Mrs. Agnes Smith, who makes her home at Gravel Ford; W. T., living at Myrtle Point; Lucinda, who is the widow of Evan Morgan and resides at Bandon; Mrs. Minnie E. Lester, of Angiola, California; Clara, at home; Mrs. Laird; and James H., at home, who operates the creamery. Unto the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Laird three children have been born: Margaret J., who was born in 1905; Vernita M., who was born in September, 1909; and Elda B., October 20, 1911. The mother, Mrs. Laird, acquired her education in the-public schools of Coos county and also attended the State Normal at Ashland, Oregon. She taught school for eighteen years previous to her marriage, beginning at the age of sixteen years. The family residence is two and a half miles above Coquille on the Coquille river. Mr. Laird usually votes with the democratic party, yet is liberal in his views. In matters of citizenship, however, he stands for progress and advancement and his cooperation may be counted upon to further many progressive movements.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912 Page 193

 

J. N. GIVAN

...has been the owner of two hundred acres of land near Adel since 1902 and is fast converting this into a valuable and highly improved property. He is leading a useful and busy life and is recognized as one of the progressive ranchmen of the Warner valley. His birth occurred in Keokuk county, Iowa, April 13, 1863, his parents being Henry C. and Phoebe (Jacobs) Givan, both of whom were natives of Indiana and were there reared, but they were married in Iowa. In the winter of 1870-1 they made their way to Modoc county, California, where they continued throughout their remaining days, the father passing away in 1911 at the advanced age of eighty-one years. He had always followed farming both in the east and in the west. In the family were four children: Tilda, who is widow of C. B. Blake, and resides in Modoc county, California; J. N.; Lydia who is a widow, also of Modoc county; and Emma, the wife of James McKee, of the North Warner valley.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912 Page 1074

 

C. B. PARKER

...is superintendent of the "MC" ranch, the property of the Warner Valley Stock Company, Inc. For six years he has acted as superintendent of this ranch of thirty-two thousand, nine hundred acres, the largest in Lake county, and the responsibilities which devolve upon him in this connection are of a most extensive and arduous character. He was born in Siskiyou county, California, January 13, 1863, and is a son of Louis R. and Mary (Fogerty) Parker, natives of Ohio and New York respectively. They were married in the east and crossed the plains in 1849, with Siskiyou county, California, as their destination. The father died in 1867 but the mother now makes her home in Modoc county, California.

C. B. Parker, the youngest son and second youngest child, was reared in Siskiyou and Modoc counties, California, with the usual experiences of the boy who spends his youth upon the ranch. He served for two terms or four years as sheriff of Modoc county, to which position he was called as the republican candidate. Otherwise he has largely devoted his attention to stock-raising and at one time was the owner of a ranch of four hundred and forty acres in Modoc county. He sold this, however, before coming to Lake county six years ago. He now owns three hundred and twenty acres in the Coleman valley. He was formerly quite extensively engaged in the sheep industry in the vicinity of Paisley for four years and still has about two thousand head. His attention, however, is now chiefly given to the interests of the Warner Valley Stock Company of which he is one of the stockholders and its secretary and superintendent. The place is known as the "MC" ranch, by which name it is usually spoken of throughout the district because of the brand "MC" being used upon the cattle. While the company makes a specialty of the raising of cattle, having five thousand head, they also raise and herd sheep and horses. Mr. Parker employs fifteen buckaroos throughout the year and employs forty men in the haying seasons, which last for about two months. They put up three thousand tons of hay or more and also purchase a considerable amount. They cut altogether about ten thousand tons. This indicates something of the great volume of business and the interests which command the attention of Mr. Parker, who at all times displays a spirit of enterprise in his control of business affairs. He recognizes the vast possibilities of the northwest in stock-raising and ranching and sound judgment guides him in all of his undertakings.

In 1889 Mr. Parker was married to Miss Katie L. Fitzpatrick, a native of Shasta county, California, and a daughter of Alexander and Mary Fitzpatrick. Three children have been born to them, Arthur, Leland and Vera. A lifelong experience in his present line of occupation has well qualified Mr. Parker for the vast responsibilities devolving upon him and as a prominent stockman of southern Oregon he well deserves representation in this work among those who are proving potent forces in the development and upbuilding of this state.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Page 1073

 

WILLIAM BYRON BARNES,

,,,living in Klamath Falls, has been active in political and fraternal circles as well as in business affairs. At one time he was quite extensively engaged in stock-raising and is still the owner of valuable timber claims in the state. At the present writing he is serving for the second term as sheriff of the county, his reelection being proof of the confidence reposed in him and of the excellent record which he made as an official during his first term. He was born in Bridgeport, Mono county, California, May 14, 1865, his parents being James A. and Mary J. (Patterson) Barnes, both of whom were natives of Ohio. They were reared and married in Birmingham, Iowa, and in 1862 came to California, crossing the plains with horse teams. The father died in Modoc county, California, in 1898, when about fifty-six years of age, his birth having occurred in 1842. The mother resides with her son Hiram at Kelseyville, Lake county, California. The father had farming interests in Modoc county at the time of his death. In early days he was a freighter and engaged in teaming for many years. In his family were five children: Hiram, of Kelseyville; Frank, of Summer Lake, Oregon; William Byron; Marion, living in Lakeview, Oregon; and Emma, who died in May, 1891.

William B. Barnes was reared in Bridgeport to the age of nineteen years, when the family removed to Modoc county. Later he went to Summer Lake and there engaged in the stockraising business until he came to Klamath Falls in 1904. Here he conducted the American Hotel until about 1908, when he was elected sheriff of the county, in which position he is now serving for the second term. He has always voted with the republican party and has filled a number of local offices, also taking an active part in the organization work of the party. For two years he served as assessor of Lake county, Oregon, and for two years was deputy sheriff of Modoc county, California. He has frequently been a delegate to party conventions and has served repeatedly on election boards. While he has disposed of his large ranch in Lake county he still owns timber claims but devotes the greater part of his time and attention to his official duties. 

In 1888 Mr. Barnes was married to Miss Tilly McDowell, a native of Missouri, who was reared in Oregon and California and is a daughter of Mrs. Flavia McDowell, who has been postmistress at Summer Lake for many years. The four children of this marriage are: Marion, who is acting as deputy sheriff; Golda, the wife of Vernon Houston, of Klamath Falls; Hazel, who is in the sheriff's office; and Zeddie. 

Mr. Barnes is a self-made man. He had little opportunity for acquiring an education and whatever he has won or enjoyed in life has been the result of his own efforts. In the early days he engaged in teaming from Lakeview, Oregon, to Redding, California, for four or live years and also in logging in Shasta county, California, with a twelve horse team for one season before he went into the cattle business. The necessity of providing for his own support and earning his living wherever he could find the opportunity prevented him from having a home until after his marriage. This brought him into contact with many rough characters and the knowledge which he gained in that class of service proved valuable to him in the discharge of his duties as sheriff. He has made an excellent record in office especially in the capture of cattle and horse thieves whom he has followed as far cast as the Missouri river, bringing to punishment various men of this class who had been stealing in the northwest for twenty years. His work in this connection has been valuable to the community and his record as sheriff is one well worthy of praise.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Pages 641-642

 

FELIX M. GREEN.

The productiveness of the region along the boundary line between Oregon and California is well demonstrated in the success that is crowning the efforts of Felix M. Green, ranchman, who, though making his home in New Pine Creek, Oregon, owns eleven hundred acres of land on the California side in Modoc county. His labors in its development are being attended with excellent results and show that progressive methods bring gratifying returns. Mr. Green is a native of Colusa county, California, born February 14, 1857, and is a son of William and Harriet (Holland) Green, who were natives of Illinois, where they were reared and married. In 1856 they crossed the plains to Colusa county, California, and in 1872 removed to Oregon, settling in the Willamette valley. The mother now resides in Lakeview, but the father passed away in Colorado in 1887, when sixty years of age. He had devoted his entire life to ranching. In his family were eight children: Felix M.; Joseph, a miner of Colorado; William; Charles of Colorado; Carrie, the wife of William Struthers of Junction City, Colorado; Hattie, the wife of Lee Bell; James of Sacramento, California; and Annie, the wife of H. Westmoreland of Washington. 

Felix M. Green was reared in Chico. Butte county, California, and accompanied his parents on their removal to Eugene, Oregon, being then a youth in his teens. In 1878 he went to Lakeview and has since resided in Lake county. In April, 1911, he located at his present place of residence and while he has his home in New Pine Creek on the Oregon side of the boundary line, his residence being a beautiful and commodious one. his ranch lies in Modoc county California. It comprises eleven hundred acres and is improved with good buildings, including an attractive dwelling and all barns and sheds necessary for the shelter of grain and stock. The ranch is owned by Mr. Green and his father-in-law, W. P. Heryford, of Lakeview. and is known as the Heryford-Green ranch. Mr. Green engages in the cultivation of grain, hay and fruit and raises some stock. He has five orchards, fifty acres being planted to fruit, and in 1911 he harvested over ten thousand bushels of grain, including barley and wheat, and cut over eight hundred tons of hay, including both alfalfa and timothy. His farming interests are as is thus indicated extensive. The success which he has attained is the merited reward of persistent, earnest labor, intelligently directed. In addition to his ranch interests Mr. Green is a director and stockholder in the Lakeview Mercantile Company and is president of the Sunshine Mining Company of New Pine Creek, owning what is reputed to be the best gold mine in this section. 

In 1894 Mr. Green was married to Miss Cora Heryford, who was born in Shasta county, California, May 6, 1873, and is a daughter of William P. Heryford, of Lakeview. Their children are Clarence, Nellie, William and Fay. Felix M. Green votes with the democratic party and for two years served as deputy sheriff of Lake county. His fraternal connections are with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He has always been a resident of the west and the spirit of progress which has brought about the wonderful development of the Pacific coast country is manifested in his life record. He has recognized and utilized the opportunities presented by this section of the country and is among those whose labors are an important element in bringing about the change that is converting it from an arid and undeveloped region into one of the richly cultivated and prosperous districts of the northwest.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Page 401 

Z. G. HARRIS

...has leased and is operating the Harvey ranch of thirteen hundred acres at the south end of Summer lake. He was born in Iron county. Missouri, November 3. 1874, and about 1884 became a resident of the Goose Lake valley in Modoc county, California, having journeyed westward with his father. S. B. Harris. His mother, Statia (De Guire) Harris, died in Missouri when her son was but three years of age, after which the father married Lizzie Sutton and both died in Modoc county, California, the latter in the spring of 1889, while Mr. Harris passed away in the fall of the same year. In the family were four children, Z. G. Harris being the only one born of the father's first marriage. The others are: Lottie, the wife of Wayman Withers, of Summer Lake valley; Minnie, the wife of Charles Hill, of Portland; and Ada, the wife of Fred Jacobsen, of Portland. 

Z. G. Harris remained at home until his father's death and then came to Summer Lake valley, and resided with his uncle tor about three years. Starting out in life on his own account he worked for wages for about four years, during which period he carefully saved his earnings until he was able to make investment in three hundred and sixty acres of land at the north end of Summer lake. He operated that for a time and also leased a place known as the Lane ranch of sixteen hundred acres on Silver lake. There he remained for three years, after which he returned to the old home place and lived thereon for three years. On the expiration of that period he leased the Harvey ranch at the south end of Summer lake, comprising thirteen hundred acres upon which he now makes his home. It is devoted to the raising of hay, grain and stock, and he has one hundred acres planted to grain, while each year he puts up about four hundred tons of hay. He also keeps about four hundred head of cattle and horses, the extensive ranch affording ample range for his stock. His own place is leased and adds materially to his income. 

In 1895 Mr. Harris was married to Miss Alice Sullivan, who was engaged as a school teacher on Summer lake and was born on Davis creek, in the Goose Lake valley, Modoc county, California. July 7, 1876. She is a daughter of Calvin Luther and Elizabeth (Petross) Sullivan, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Illinois. Both died at Goose Lake. Mr. and Mrs. Harris have four children, Beatrice, Bernice, Theta and Thelma. In politics Mr. Harris is an independent democrat, for while he usually holds to the principles of the party he does not consider himself bound by party ties and when his judgment dictates does not hesitate to support candidates of other parties. Fraternally he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Follows and with the Woodmen of the World.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Pages 552-553

 

J. W. LAIRD

...makes a specialty of dairying on a farm of twenty-two acres near Coquille. keeping ten head of cows for this purpose. He was born in Modoc county, California. August 25, 1873, and is a son of John C. and Jane (Norris) Laird, of whom more extended mention is made on another page of this work in connection with the sketch of Pinkston W. Laird, a brother of our subject.

The removal of the family to Oregon during the boyhood days of J. W. Laird enabled him to pursue his education in the public schools of Coos county. In his youth he also ne familiar with agricultural methods,

remaining at home with his parents to the time of his marriage. He afterward served as engineer for the Johnson Lumber Company of Coos county for a period of ten years, and industry and careful expenditure during that decade brought him the capital that enabled him to purchase one hundred and eighty two acres of land. Of this he has since sold one hundred and sixty acres, leaving him but twenty-two acres. This, however, constitutes a well improved although small farm near Coquille, which he devotes to dairying purposes, keeping ten head of cows. His well appointed dairy and the excellence of its products secures him a liberal patronage.

On the 29th of May, 1896, Mr. Laird was united in marriage to Miss Mabel Baxter, who was born at Santa Cruz, California, May 15, 1872, a daughter of F. M. and Linwood [Watson] Baxter, natives of Iowa and Missouri, respectively. They were married in Oregon, to which state the father came when fifteen years of age, while the mother was brought to the northwest by her parents when three years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Baxter were married in the Willamette valley and afterward removed to California, where they resided for several years. Five children were born to them in that state. In 1879 they came with their family to Oregon settling in Coos county, where the father took up the logging business, which he followed for twenty years. He then retired and has since lived at Coquille. Of the six children of the Baxter family four are still living: Charles E., who is a resident of Coquille; Mrs. Mabel Laird; George E., living at Coquille; and Harry, who makes his home in Bandon. Those deceased are Pearl and Cleveland.

Mr. Laird votes with the democratic party, believing that the principles of its platform contain the best elements of good government. He is a Mason and a Knight of Pythias and both he and his wife are connected with the Eastern Star and the Pythian Sisters. Mr. Laird has filled all of the chairs in the orders

mentioned and is loyal to their teachings and purposes, so that his is a well spent life, commanding for him the confidence and good-will of all with whom he comes in contact.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Page 194

 

H. M. FLEMING

...is a member of the firm of Fleming Brothers, merchants of New Pine Creek, who recognize the fact that satisfied patron, are the best advertisements and.  therefore, carry a large and well selected line of goods, suitable to a general trade, and win a liberal patronage by progressive methods, fair prices and honorable dealing. H. M.  Fleming was born in Jackson county, Oregon.  January 13, 1876. a son of Henry Clay and Minnie (Marchbanks) Fleming, who were natives of Tennessee, the former born in 1-4’J and the latter in 1841. The parents were reared and married in that state and made their advent on the Pacific coast in 1872 as residents of Siskiyou county, California.  Soon afterward, however, they removed to Jackson county. Oregon, where they remained for fifteen years, and then went to Modoc county. California, taking up their abode near New Tine Creek, Oregon, where the father now resides. For many years he followed farming and had extensive interests but is now living retired, enjoying a well earned rest. The mother passed away here in 1910.  In their family were eight children: Dora, the widow of D. T. Colvin. of Willowranch.  Modoc county. California: W. S.. also living at Willowranch; T. M.. a partner of II. M.  Fleming: II. A., living at Willowranch: H.  M.: L. V.. who is a twin brother of 11. M.  and resides near Fresno, California; Winifred, of Santa Rosa. California: and William, of Lake county. Oregon.

In the county of his nativity H. M. Fleming remained until he reached the age of thirteen years and thru came with his parents to Lake county, where he has since lived with the exception of seven years spent in Modoc county, California. He was on a ranch until he attained his majority and his educational opportunities were those afforded by the public schools. While in Modoc county he worked in a store for seven years but laudable ambition prompted him to engage in business on his own account and with his brother T. H. Fleming he purchased his present store in 1904. They have since conducted the same under the style of Fleming Brothers, general merchants. They own a brick building, one story and basement, thirty by seventy feet, and also own ware houses in the town. They have a huge and growing trade and their business is a profitable one. They also loan money and ate interested in many projects in this locality, including gold mining, which is fast developing into an important feature in the business of this section of the state.

Mr. Fleming holds membership with the Elks and with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and he has attractive, genial qualities, which render him popular in these organizations. Moreover, his record proves that success and an honorable name may be won simultaneously, for energy and industry have ever been supplemented by fair dealing in the conduct of his mercantile interests.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Pages 340-341

  

R. D. VARNER

...is practically living retired but is the owner of good ranch property, his home being situated three and a half miles east of Klamath Falls on the Lakeview road. He was born in Posey county, Indiana, January 7, 1827, and has therefore passed the eighty-fifth milestone on life's journey. His is an honored old age and his rest is well merited, for his life has been worthily spent. He was one of a family of nine children whose parents were John and Rebecca (McCarty) Varner, natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in 1792 and the latter in 1795. The parents were reared however, in Virginia and went to Kentucky as pioneers. Later they located in Indiana and their last days were spent in Illinois, both passing away when more than eighty years of age. The father was a farmer by occupation and after crossing the plains to California in 1852, attracted by the discoveries of gold on the Pacific coast, he engaged in mining. Hp also worked on a ranch to some extent, dividing his time between the two occupations until 1861, when he returned to Illinois. His nine children all lived to adult age. The eldest. M. Samuel Varner, born in 1819, is a resident of Indiana. James Francis Asbury, who is more than ninety years of age. is a resident of Posey county, Indiana. A daughter, Mrs. Sarah Ann Mills, is living in Illinois, but the others have all passed away.

 

R. D. Varner resided in Indiana until 1844, when at the age of seventeen years he went to Illinois, where he spent the succeeding decade of his life. In 1854 he arrived in California, where he engaged in mining for about ten years and later he followed farming at Goose Lake in Modoc county. California, until he came to Oregon on the 10th of November, 1887. He has since resided in Klamath county, his home being three and a half miles east of Klamath Falls, on the Lakeview road, where he has a good tract of land. The active management and development of the ranch, however, is left to his sons, who are operating two hundred and forty acres, all wheat land. To this they have given their energies for the past six years. At different periods in his life R. D. Varner followed other pursuits than farming. While in Illinois he worked for ten years at cabinet-making and on going to California he worked at bridge building and carpentering and afterward at gardening. His life has been a busy and useful one and his success has come to him as the merited and logical reward of his labors.

 

Mr. Varner has been married twice. In 1858 he wedded Miss Sarah Hassel, who was born in New York in 1830 and passed away in Illinois in the year 1867. She left two children: Julian, who is a resident of White county, Illinois; and Harriet, the wife of Joseph Curtis, of White county, Illinois. In 1870 Mr. Varner was again married, his second union being with Miss Caroline Hollar, who was born in Iowa in 1847 and died in this state in 1893. To R. D. and Caroline (Hollar) Varner were born seven children, as follows: Carey, who passed away at the age of eighteen years; John A., who assists in the operation of the home ranch: Fannie, at home; Sarah L., the wife of F. C. Smith, residing on the Merrill road in Klamath county; R. D., living in Nevada; and T. A. and Samuel, both at home.

 

Mr. Varner has always voted with the democratic party and has always held to high standards of citizenship. In his business dealings he has been straightforward and reliable, knowing that all honorable success can only be won through individual effort and unfaltering perseverance. He is one of the esteemed citizens of Klamath county and a well spent life has won for him the veneration which should ever be accorded one of his years. 

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Page 380

FRANK M. HARRIS

...is the owner of a ranch of six hundred and fifty acres, of which two hundred and fifty acres is included in his home place on the west side of Summer lake. Iron county, Missouri, numbers him among her native sons, his birth having there occurred January 31, 1864. His parents were Zed and Malissa (Pease) Harris. The father was born in Kentucky in 1825 and the mother in Connecticut in 1827. They were married in Missouri, January 6, 1848, and Zed Harris died in that state in 1880. He had devoted his entire life to farming. The mother, not long after her husband's death, came to Lake county, Oregon, with her children and here passed away in 1900. Three of the children died in Missouri and one remained in that state at the time when four of the sons and three of the daughters accompanied their mother to the west. They located first at Willowranch in the Goose lake valley of California, there remaining until 1888, when they came to the Summer lake valley, locating on the west bank of the lake. Of the children the eldest is Mrs. Flavia McDowell, while the others who reached adult age are: S. B., who died in Goose lake valley of Modoc county, California; Farnum E., of Lakeview, Oregon; Mrs. Delia Fisher, of Ashland, Oregon; Clarence C., living on Summer lake; Martin E., of Chehalis county, Washington; Frank M., of this review; and Mrs. Florence Wakefield, of Elma, Washington. 

Frank M. Harris was a youth when he came with his mother and other members of the family to Oregon. He resided with a brother and his mother to the time of his marriage in 1888 to Miss Emma Barnes, a native of California, who died here in 1891. The children of that marriage were: Glenn, who died in infancy; and Reason. In 1898 Mr. Harris was again married, his second union being with Alta Platt, a native of Wisconsin. There are three children of this marriage, Dean, Lewis and Ruth. 

For more than three decades Mr. Harris has resided continuously in the Summer lake valley and his time and energies have ever been devoted to the development of his ranch and to the raising of stock. His home place is well improved, constituting one of the attractive farms on the west side of Summer lake, and his holdings, embracing altogether six hundred and fifty acres, give him excellent opportunity to promote the work of agricultural development in this section and to advance his individual interests. This he is doing along progressive lines and his labors are meeting with good returns.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Page 486

 

C. C. HARRIS.

A beautiful home is that of C. C. Harris. A residence containing twelve rooms, built in 1911, overlooks Summer lake, furnishing a view which covers fifty miles on a clear day. In the rear of the building tower lofty mountains three thousand feet higher than his home, although the valley itself has an altitude of forty-four hundred feet. Across the front of the house extends a broad veranda and the lawn is shaded by fine box elder, poplar and locust trees. Altogether it is a beautiful country property and he has his own electric light works and water plant, pumping mountain-spring water into the house. This attractive home is a visible evidence of the well spent life of C. C. Harris, whose success is the merited reward of earnest labor intelligently directed.

C. C. Harris is a native of Iron county, Missouri, born May 16, 1860, and is a son of Zed G. and Malissa (Pease) Harris. The father was born in Kentucky in 1825 and the mother in Connecticut in 1827. They were married in Missouri, January 6, 1848, and Zed G. Harris died in that state in 1880. He had devoted his entire life to fanning. The mother, not long after her husband's death, came to Lake county, Oregon, with her children and there passed away in 1900. Three of the children died in Missouri and one remained in that state at the time when four of the sons and three of the daughters accompanied their mother to the west. They located first at Willowranch in the Goose Lake valley of California, there remaining until 1888, when they came to the Summer Lake valley, locating on the west bank of the lake. Of the children, the eldest is Mrs. Flavia McDowell, while the others who reached adult age are: S. B., who died in Goose Lake valley of Modoc county, California; Farnum E., of Lakeview, Oregon; Mrs. Delia Fisher, of Ashland, Oregon; Clarence C., living on Summer Lake; Martin E., of Chehalis county, Washington; Frank M., mentioned elsewhere in this work; and Mrs. Florence Wakefield, of Elma, Washington. 

In taking up the personal history of Clarence C. Harris we present to our readers the record of one who is widely and favorably known in Lake county and southern Oregon. About the time when he attained liis majority the family came to the northwest and since 1888 he has resided continuously at the place of his present residence on Summer lake. He owns four hundred acres of land, nearly all of which is under cultivation, and is devoted to general farming and stock raising. He cultivates hay as well as cereals of various kinds, also raises a variety of fruit and has a fine garden in which is produced almost every known vegetable. Everything seems to grow well here and his place is improved to an exceptional degree. He has provided ample buildings for the shelter of grain and stock and in 1911 erected his present fine residence already described. It is attractively located, commanding a fine view of the scenic features of the district, and that hospitality is one of its features is indicated by the readiness with which their many friends visit this home. Mr. Harris runs about one hundred head of horses and mules on the range and has about fifty head of cattle. A circle enclosing the letter J on the right stifle is the brand used by Mr. Harris for his cattle. His horses are branded on the right shoulder with a figure four and a capital letter H. He raises Percheron horses and Durham cattle and is doing much to improve the grade of stock common in southern Oregon. In addition to his agricultural and stock-raising interests he is connected with a drug store in Lakeview and is also a shareholder in the Windy Hollow mines near Paisley. 

In 1896 Mr. Harris was married to Miss Hattie J. Colvin, who was born in California in 1872 and is a daughter of S. T. Colvin, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Harris have three children: Hildred, Sidney and Reta. They have many friends in the county, enjoy an enviable social position, and Mr. Harris has a creditable reputation as a progressive business man and public-spirited citizen.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Page 566 

CAPTAIN ELIPHALET FOLLETT.

While New Pine Creek is one of the recently established towns of Lake county its citizenship includes Captain Eliphalet Follett, one of the venerable residents of this part of the state. He was born in what was Lake county but is now Geauga county, Ohio, February 2, 1828, a son of Ashley and Diantha (Montgomery) Follett, the former born in Massachusetts in 1798 and the latter in New York in 1808. They were pioneer residents of northeastern Ohio, living in the reserve, where they were married. The father was a millwright by trade and followed his chosen occupation when eastern Ohio was almost an unbroken wilderness. About 1835 the family removed to southwestern Michigan, settling at Port Sheldon, where Mr. Follett built a mill, establishing the town not far from Michigan City. He afterward removed to Chicago, Illinois, and later to Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. He subsequently resided in Iowa and in 1838 went to Chippewa, Wisconsin, then he removed once more to the Menominee river and then back to Clayton county. Iowa. Again, however, he took up his abode in Wisconsin in 1844. remaining for four years, after which he returned to Iowa. There he secured a tract of wild land and became actively engaged in farming. The mother became a widow in 1847. 

Captain Eliphalet Follett was the second of seven children and as the oldest son was away from home, the care of the family devolved upon him and he continued to work on the old homestead until he attained his majority, when he married. He afterward entered the field of general merchandising at Elkader, Clayton county, Iowa, but eventually removed to Elgin, Fayette county, that state, where he conducted a store from 1853 until 1862. Following the outbreak of the Civil war his patriotic spirit was aroused and, feeling that his first duty was to his country, he enlisted on the 23d of July, 1862, as captain of Company H, Thirty-eighth Iowa Infantry. He served with that command until January 1, 1865, when he was honorably discharged by reason of the consolidation of his regiment with the Thirty-fourth of Iowa. He was on duty with the Thirteenth Army Corps but was detached and served on the Mississippi until the surrender of Vicksburg. He was then sent to the convalescent camp at Carrollton, Louisiana, but later participated in the capture of Brownsville, Texas, where the troops remained for nine months as an army of observation. At the close of that period they returned to New Orleans and were ordered to Mobile bay, seventeen days being spent in the capture of Fort Morgan. From that point the troops proceeded to Morganza, Louisiana, and to Florida and participated in the battle of Fort Blakely. They also assisted in the capture of the steamer Alabama and later went to Houston, Texas. The most important battle of the war in which Captain Follett participated was that at Vicksburg. 

When the war was over he returned to Iowa, and engaged in railroading for more than two years, but he also owned a farm of two hundred and seventy acres there and gave some of his time to its supervision. In 1876 he went to Yolo county, California, and in 1879 removed to Willowranch, Modoc county, that state, seven miles south of New Pine Creek, Oregon. In 1881 he suffered a stroke of paralysis and since that time has engaged in merchandising, being identified with business interests in New Pine Creek since 1893. He has a well appointed store and he remains a factor in business circles although many men of his years have long since put aside commercial or industrial cares to spend the evening of life quietly and without any business activities to claim their attention. 

Captain Follett has been married twice. On the 7th of February, 1847, in Iowa, he wedded Christenia Downie, a native of Canada, who was born June 7, 1833, and died in New Pine Creek in November, 1904. Their children were seven in number: John A., living in Lyon county, Iowa; Blanch, who is the widow of Columbus Cannon and resides in New Pine Creek; Josephine, who is the widow of L. C. Button and makes her home in Sacramento, California; A. E., of New Pine Creek; Ernest B., of Benton county, Oregon: E. W. G., of New Pine Creek; and Sadie L., the wife of Joseph L. Hampton of Paisley, Oregon. On the 17th of June, 1910, Captain Follett was married to Mrs. Jane L. (Worthington) Mulkey, who had been a widow for fourteen years. She was born in Davidson county, North Carolina, .April 29, 1835, and when five years of age came to Missouri with her parents, Brooks and Hannah (Green) Worthington, who were natives of North Carolina but died in Missouri, where her father followed farming. In early womanhood Jane Worthington became the wife of Johnson Mulkey and they removed to California, where the tatter's death occurred April 21. 1895, when he had reached the age of sixty-five years, two months and eight days. They were the parents of four sons and four daughters, of whom six are living. 

For many years Captain Follett has been a stalwart republican but his first vote was east in 1849 in support of democratic candidates. He voted in 1856 for Fremont and for each presidential candidate of the republican party since that time. He has served as justice of the peace and in other local offices and for seven years was postmaster of New Pine Creek. For thirty-five years he has been a Master Mason and since 1855 has been an Odd Fellow, having in that year joined the lodge at West Union, Fayette county, Iowa. At the time of the Civil war every one of its members enlisted for service at the front, whereby the lodge was broken up, and after the war he aided in organizing another lodge at Elgin, Iowa. He was at one time commander of the Grand Army post at New Pine Creek but there is no organization here now, as there are not enough members to support it. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church. Captain Follett is remarkably active for one of his years, for, although he has passed the eighty-fourth milestone on life's journey, he id in business and in spirit and interest seems many years younger. He keeps in touch with the progress of the world and throughout his life has actively figured in projects and movements which were of value in matters of citizenship and as factors in the attainment of material success. He has ever been as true and loyal to the old flag as when he followed the stars and stripes upon southern battlefields.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Pages 572-573

AHAZ WASHINGTON BRYAN

...is a very busy and industrious man. owning five hundred and sixty acres on Clover flat in Lake county, for he not only carries on general agricultural pursuits but also conducts a blacksmith shop. He was born in Mercer county, Missouri, December 16, 1858, his

parents being Daniel Boone and Mary Jane [Farley] Bryan. The father was born in Tennessee, April 10, 1828. and the mother in Ohio,, March 1, 1839. They became residents of Missouri at the age of twenty-two and ten years respectively and were married in Mercer county, that state, there residing until the spring of 1864, when they followed the many bands that had already crossed the plains to the northwest. With ox teams they started on the journey and after six months' travel reached Yamhill county, Oregon, where Mr. Bryan secured a homestead claim, upon which he lived during the greater part of the time until 1880, when he came to Lake county. He died at the home of his son, A. W. Bryan, July 6, 1911, while the mother resides on a ranch two miles south of her son's ranch on Clover flat. He followed farming in early life but in 1S61 became a member of the State Militia of Missouri, with which he served for one year, when he was disabled and discharged. After coming to the northwest he resumed agricultural pursuits and also carried on stock-raising to some extent. His religious faith was that of the Christian church. In the family were five children: Ahaz W., Amanda Ellen, the wife of C. F. Strohm. of Yamhill county; David Morgan, who is with his mother; Lucy Jane, the wife of H. E. Reed, of Roseburg, Oregon; and Mary Helen, the wife of George Sherman of Lake county. 

Ahaz Washington Bryan was a lad of six years when he crossed the plains with his parents and he remembers many incidents of the journey over the long stretches of sand and across the mountains. He came with his parents on their removal from Yamhill to Lake county and secured a homestead two miles south of his present place in 1887. This he improved and he resided thereon until 1902. It comprised one hundred and sixty acres, which he still owns. He next bought his present place, a ranch of five hundred and sixty acres, upon which he has made many modern improvements, having here a good residence and substantial outbuildings. He also built a blacksmith shop and does work of that character not only for himself but also for his neighbors. His ranch is situated twenty-three miles from Lake View and nineteen miles from Paisley on the main road and was the station until two years ago, during which period he had accommodated many travelers with entertainment, for there was no regular hotel or stopping place for a distance of seventeen and a half miles on the south with no place to the north. Mr. Bryan had the sub-contract for carrying the mail from Lake View to Paisley from 1898 until 1902 and then secured the contract direct from the government for a period of eight years, thus carrying the mail for twelve years over a route of forty-five miles in length. In 1910 he purchased a small sawmill which he put up and operated until it was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1911. 

On the 24th of June, 1892, Mr. Bryan was married to Miss Jennie M. Moss, who was born in Modoc county. California, June 7, 1872, and has resided in Lake county since six months old. She is a daughter of the Hon. S. P. and Susie (Casteel) Moss, of Lake View. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Bryan are Bessie Eleanor, Tressie Hazel, Annie Laurie and Vaneta Fay. Mr. Bryan is a member of two different fraternal organizations, the Woodmen of the World and the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and he gives his political allegiance to the republican party, which he has always supported since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He has never been afraid of labor—earnest, persistent labor—and in this is found the secret of his progress and his success.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Pages 1033-1034

 

L. A. MOSS

...is the owner of two hundred acres of land adjoining Paisley on the east and devoted to the raising of hay and grain. He is also the secretary and manager of the Moss Telephone & Telegraph Company of Lake county and thus deserves classification with the representative residents of the district. He was born in Linn county, Oregon, May 22, 1862, and was the eldest of the three children of S. P. and Sarah (Robinett) Moss. The mother died in Linn county in 1868 and the father afterward removed to Modoc county, California, settling near Beaver, where he remained three years. He then came to Lake county in July, 1872, taking up his abode at the head of the Summer lake valley, where he is now living.  

L. A. Moss remained with his father until 1888 and assisted him in the various duties of the ranch, but when twenty-six years of age started out for himself. In the fall of 1889 he went to Warner valley, where he engaged in ranching for six years, having a preemption claim and a quarter section of school land. At length he sold out there and came to his present place, comprising two hundred acres of fertile land adjoining Paisley on the east. All of this is under a high state of cultivation, being devoted to the raising of hay and grain. He also ran stock extensively until the past few years, having two thousand head of sheep and two hundred head of cattle at one time, while in connection with his father and brother he had three hundred and fifty horses. He spent most of his time on the range in his earlier days and has gone through all of the experiences of that life which is now fast becoming a thing of the past as the open territory is being taken up and the state divided into ranches. He has contributed to the general development and progress not alone along agricultural lines but also as the secretary and manager of the Moss Telephone & Telegraph Company of Lake county which has a line extending from Silver Lake to Lake View, a distance of more than a hundred miles. 

On the 29th of September, 1889, Mr. Moss was married to Miss Anna McCormack, who was born in New Brunswick, December 27, 1873, and is a daughter of William McCormack. Their three children are Stephen W., Alfred G. and Mildred Ruth. Mr. Moss has voted with the democracy since age conferred upon him the right of franchise and has served in a number of local offices, including that of justice of the peace and constable. For eight years he has been school director and is a warm friend of good schools and good roads. For one term he was road supervisor and his aid and influence, whether in office or out of it, are at all times given to works of public progress and improvement. For the past twelve years he has been a member of the Woodmen of the World and he is a member of the Christian church, the teachings of which form the guiding influences of his life.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Page 1075

 

J. A. MORRIS

...is acting as postmaster of Adel where he also carries on merchandising, and in the business circles of Lake county he is widely and favorably known. He was born in Dade county, Missouri, February 1869, a son of William and Sarah (Cook) Morris, the former a native of Missouri and the latter of Kentucky. They were reared and married in Missouri and in 1877 started on the long journey across the hot sandy plains in a wagon to Jackson county, Oregon, settling near Rock Point, where they now reside. The father engaged in placer mining until about 1900, since which time he has lived retired. While in Missouri he followed farming save for the period of the Civil war, when he enlisted and served as a soldier. In his family were eleven children, ten of whom are now living and all are married with the exception of the youngest. 

J. A. Morris, coming to Oregon when a youth of eight years, remained with his parents until 1890, and worked in the mines with his father, thus early forming habits of industry and perseverance. On the 9th of June, 1890, he arrived in Warner valley and for about twelve years worked as a buccaro. He afterward ran stock, handling horses and cattle on his own account for three years. He next turned his attention to merchandising and purchased two little stores in the valley, conducting one at what is now the town of Plush, in the first building upon the present townsite. In fact Mr. Morris platted the townsite and erected the first building there. He continued at that point until 1910, when he came to Adel at the south end of Warner valley. He bought property here and established business and in 1910 was appointed to the office of postmaster. He is an enterprising merchant, wide awake, progressive and active in all of his business affairs, and at the same time loyal to all of his public duties. He is not only the postmaster but also notary public, and at one time was justice of the peace but resigned. As a merchant he has done extensive business with the stockmen, fitting out sheep camps and stock ranches, and the careful management of his business affairs has brought him a substantial measure of prosperity. 

On the 25th of December, 1898, Mr. Morris was married to Miss Daisy Overton, who was born in Fort Bidwell, Modoc county, California, a daughter of Major and Dora (Rambo) Overton. Mr. and Mrs. Morris have four children, Hallie, William Truman, Raymond and Rotha. Mr. Morris has always been an advocate of democratic principles and ever exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of that party. His fraternal relations are with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Lakeview. He is numbered among those who are active in promoting public development of southern Oregon and his efforts are put forth along progressive lines which are proving not only a source of individual success but also an element In public progress and prosperity.

The Centennial History of Oregon, Volume IV: S J Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, 1912, Pages 1083-1084

 

CHARLES LEMUEL CLAFLIN.

Residence and office, Bakersfield. Born in Lebanon, Van Buren County, Iowa, August 17, 1858. Son of Ira and Hannah Wells (Richardson) Claflin. Moved to California September 1, 1880. Married Nellie Welsh May 7, 1884. Attended the public schools at Lebanon, Iowa, and later attended the Troy Academy for two years, at Troy, Iowa. Read law in the office of Ruthledge Lea at Keosauqua, Iowa. Admitted to the bar of California August 1, 1881, and commenced the active practice of his profession in Modoc County. District Attorney of Modoc County, California, 1883-84. Elected judge of the Superior Court of Modoc County in 1890 and continued in that office until 1897. Moved to Bakersfield in 1900, and continues in the active practice of his profession in partnership with Erwin W. Owen, under firm name of Claflin & Owen, to date. Republican.

History of the Bench & Bar of California: Joseph Clement Bates, Bench And Bar Publishing Company, San Francisco, 1912 - Page 263

 

FRANKLIN TRACY POORE.

Residence, 1740 Pacific Avenue; office, Mills Building, San Francisco. Born March 5, 1882, at Ft. Bidwell, Modoc County. Son of James Waterman and Zonetta (McCrerry) Poore. Married Emma Marcella Brown, April 8, 1911. Received his education in the public and grammar schools of Modoc County, graduating in 1898. Has been associated with Edwin L. Foster and Robert M. Moody before and since admission to the bar. Admitted to the bar before the District Court of Appeal, First District, at San Francisco, July 31, 1906, since which time has practiced his profession alone.

History of the Bench & Bar of California: Joseph Clement Bates, Bench And Bar Publishing Company, San Francisco, 1912 - Page 468

 

IRA RAYMOND VAUGHN

...was made city treasurer of Richmond on April 1, 1913. and this important position he has held ever since, discharging his duties in a prompt, capable, and reliable manner. Previous to taking this of­fice he held a position of trust and responsibility for four years with the Standard Oil Company, in the auditing department. Mr. Vaughn was born in Eagleville, 'Modoc County, California, April 16, 1883. He acquired his edu­cation in the public schools, and attended high school in Santa Rosa, later taking a business course in Oakland. He then became identified with the Santa Fe Railroad at Richmond, and later went with the Standard Oil Com­pany. On July 1 1910, he was appointed city clerk, which office he filled to the credit of Richmond until April 1, 1913, when he was made city treasurer. Politically, Mr. Vaughn is affiliated with the Democratic party. Fraternally, he is a member of the B. P.O. E. of Richmond, the Moose, and the Modern Woodmen of the World. He was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Eleanor Mitchell, A Tulare County, California, June 24, 1906. Mr. Vaughn has many friends in Richmond, by all of whom he is respected and highly esteemed. He stands for progress at all times, and seeks his own success and the city's advancement along lines of activity which will bear the closest investigation and scrutiny.

 The History of Contra Costa County, California: Wm L Todd; Jos W Revere; William B Ide; Jose Castro; et al     Berkeley, Calif.: Elms Pub. Co., 1917, Page 477-478

  

P. H. McMURTRY

Preston Hays McMurtry was last fall (1932) re-elected supervisor from the Fresno city district for the third time, being chosen to this position first in 1924. A native of California, he first came to Fresno county 30 years ago. As a public official he has given particular attention to the welfare of the wards of the county and the children's department of the county hospital.

Mr. McMurtry was born in Modoc county, California, May 2, 1880; his father was James, his mother, Anna (Berry) McMurtry. The parents were natives of Missouri who moved to the Pacific coast soon after the Civil war, and settled in Fresno county in 1882. The elder McMurtry became a farmer in the region of Tollhouse in the Sierra Nevada foothills :35 miles from the minty seat. The boy had a district school education. At the age of 10, he started to work for the Fresno Lumber and Irrigation company which con­structed Shaver Lake and built its lumber flume reaching its terminal at the Southern Pacific at Clovis. In 1908, Mr. McMurtry joined in forming the wholesale and retail grocery firm of McMurtry & McCabe, on I street, con­tinuing there until 1922.

For eight years Mr. McMurtry has represented the third district on the hoard of supervisors. His consists of the main part of the City of Fresno, with some territory outside to the south and east.

In each of the three elections, he won his seat the August primary. He served as chairman of the committee for building the children's and the surgi­cal wards of the General hospital.

Mr. McMurtry is married to Gertrude Hedrick, daughter of William Hed­rick, who was postmaster of Fresno during the second Cleveland administration. He is a member of Las Palmas Lodge, F. and A. M. of which he was master in 1922, and is also enrolled in the York and Scottish, Rite bodies.

History of Fresno County and the San Joaquin Valley : Winchell, Lilbourne Alsip - Fresno, Calif.: A.H. Cawston, 1933, Page 235

 

CARROLL EUGENE DUNN

A splendid example of what an industrious and progressive person may accomplish when thrown upon his own resources in Klamath County is furnished by the life of Carroll Eugene Dunn, who was born near Cherokee, Iowa, October 14, 1892 

His father was Lee Dunn, born in Illinois in 1871, a laborer and farmer who settled in Portland, Oregon, in 1900, and resided throughout the Pacific Northwest until he died in Portland, Oregon, in 1926. His mother, a former school teacher, was born Elda E. Tanner in Indiana, June 10, 1874. She is now living in Seattle, Washington. The education of Carroll Eugene Dunn was received in the public schools of Was., Iowa, Portland and Dairy, Oregon, to which latter community he came with John Shook in 1905 when they took over the old Applegate Ranch, now known as the Shook Ranch. Two years later, at the age of 15 years, he started out for himself, working as a farm hand and cowboy and continued in this capacity until 1916, when he took up a homestead in Modoc County, California. Upon his return to Klamath County in 1921, Mr. Dunn entered the employ of the Merrill Creamery and stayed with that firm until 1924, when he went back to Modoc County. In 1927 he returned to the creamery, retaining his position there until 1929 when he took up his residence again on the Shook Ranch, which he acquired through Mr. Shook. By close applica­tion to the business of raising dairy and beef cattle and grain farming, Mr. Dunn had acquired 700 acres of the property in a short time. He still retains his interest in these premises, although in 1935 he purchased his present home ranch in the Pine Grove district. Contract farming, land leveling, haying, and plowing, is conducted by Mr. Dunn for his neighbors.

The first marriage of Carroll Eugene Dunn, on September 18, 1916, at Alturas, California, united him with Pearl Criss, who was born in Modoc County, California, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Criss, pioneers of that county. The children born of this union are : Margaret (Mrs. Edward Wheeler), of Dorris, California, born in Modoc County July 1, 1917, has a son, Eddie; Mabel, born in Modoc County, July 23, 1918; Ray, born in Dairy, Oregon, January 19, 1921 ; Lester, born near Mer­rill, May 15, 1923; Lavonne, born in Modoc County, August 1, 1926; and Carolyn, born in Klamath Falls, February 2, 1928. The second marriage of Mr. Dunn, with Mrs. Ada (Cooper) Gooding, was solemnized in Medford, Oregon, on June 10. 1935. She has been a resident of Klamath Falls since 1920. Mrs. Dunn operates one of the most successful poultry ranches in Klamath County at her home in the Pine Grove district. Her success is ascribed to her scientific methods of care and production. She maintains three-deck houses for her 2,000 laying hens. In 1939 she reared 1,800 sexed pullets for laying hens with great success. An affiliate of the Republican Party, Mr. Dunn has taken no active part in politics, preferring to devote himself to the development of the resources of this region. He is an expert mechanic, which it a decided asset in his ranching operations, and now he is numbered among the repre­sentative farmers and stock raisers in Klamath County. 

History of Klamath County, Oregon : Good, Rachel Applegate.

Klamath Falls, Or.: unknown, 1941, Pages 346-347

 

H. VANCE CLYMER, M. D.

The medical profession of Solano county has an able exponent in Dr. H. Vance Clymer, of Fairfield, who has long held the confidence and esteem of the people, as well as of his professional brethren. He was born on a farm in Marion county, Oregon, on the 5th of August, 1865, and is a son of Henry Vance and Mary (Johnson) Clymer. The father, who was a farmer by vocation, came to California in 1846, crossing the plains with the historic Donner party. The mother was also in this party, but when the train was divided the company with which she traveled went to Oregon. The father, with a Mr. Crell Burchard, most out for food for the Donner party, but they were unable to return. Mr. Clymer was in San Francisco for one year and then went to Oregon, where he spent the remainder of his life.

H. Vance Clymer attended the district schools near his childhood home in Oregon and was then a student in Willamette University, at Salem, that state, later matriculating in the medical department of that university, at Portland, being graduated in 1890 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He first located for active practice at Hating, Oregon, where he remained for several years, after which he went to Phoenix, Arizona, where for twenty-five years he was numbered among the successful physicians and influential citizens of that community. In 1893 he took postgraduate work in Chicago and in 1903 in New York. He has been a constant student, keeping in close touch with the latest advances in the healing art. In 1919 the Doctor came to Fairfield, and he is now numbered among the honored professional men of this locality. Politically Dr. Clymer has always been aligned with the republican party, and he has been a close observer of public affairs. Fraternally he is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, in both higher branches of which he has taken many degrees, being a Knight Templar in the York Rite and a thirty-second degree Mason in the Scottish Rite, as well as a noble of the Mystic Shrine, and he likewise belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks at Phoenix, Arizona. In a professional way he is a member of the Solano County Medical Society and the American Medical Association. Possessing a comprehensive medical education, with years of practical experience, Dr. Clymer has had a thorough equipment for the successful practice of his profession, and his ability and skill have been recognized wherever he has practiced. The Doctor was married to Miss Grace Osham, a native of Modoc county, California, whose father, E. W. Osham, made the trip across the plains to California in 1849.

History of Solano County, California: Hunt, Marguerite, Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1926, Page 260-261

 

ESTHER FLORENCE VINCENT

Santa Rosa is the home of many successful business women who have become factors in the life of the city through their organization known as the Business and Professional Women's Club.  One of the members of this group, eligible to membership through her real estate and insurance business is Esther Florence Vincent, who has been a resident of the city since 1905.

Her advent in Santa Rosa was direct from Modoc County, California, the place of her birth [May 3, 1882]. Her father, Edward Myers, born December 2, 1829, a native of Philadelphia, passed away March 27, 1896 in Modoc County, while her mother, Appoline, a woman of Canadian birth [march 25, 1841, died June 17, 1926 at the home of her daughter in Santa Rosa.

On May 24, 1900, the subject of this sketch was united in marriage, at Alturas, California with William o Vincent, a native of Lake county, Oregon. Seven children were born of the marriage: Vina, now the wife of Howard Martin; Nondas, who is married to Carl Lundgren; Paulina [Mrs George halverson]; Edythe, now Mrs Frank Martin; Arlie, Stewart and Melvin Vincent.

After the death of Frank Vincent [father of William O] his wife, Nancy [Cole] Vincent, came to Santa Rosa where she spent the remaining years of her life.

Mrs Vincent has been connected with various real estate firms since her residence in Santa Rosa, but in later years has opened her own office where she specializes in real estate sales and exchanges combined with a wide line of insurances.

She is broad in her interests, and for four years served the local unit of the WCTU as their president. Humanitarian in her outlook, she has concerned herself with the welfare of humanity and has localized her interest, because of her own children, in the work of the PTA, where she acted as president for two terms. Her religious preference is for the Baptist Church. Her home, for many years, has been at 1488 N. Orchard Street.

History of Sonoma County, California: Finley, Ernest Latimer, Santa Rosa, Calif. :: Press Democrat Pub. Co.,, 1937, Pg 292, Vincent

 

JAMES LELAND POPE

Since his youth James Leland Pope of Merrill has been ranching in Oregon and Washington and his knowledge of farm land, coupled with business ability, has enabled him to benefit from several property transactions and has resulted in his obtaining excellent farm land in the Merrill district since he returned to Klamath County about 1926. Mr. Pope was born in Canby, California, September 23, 1894, son of Fred L. Pope Sr., and Dora (Ballard) Pope. His father, born in Iowa in 1861, came to Klamath County in 1899 and purchased the present home ranch of 265 acres and another ranch of 127 acres, east of Merrill, improving both places. In 1932 he bought a ranch near Fort Klamath, where he died in July, 1935. His wife, Dora (Ballard) Pope, is a native of Modoc County, California, born in March, 1873. An interesting fact in her family history is that her father came to Portland, Oregon, when it was merely a town of a few frame buildings. Mrs. Pope, who reared three girls and three boys, resides in Klamath County part of the time.

After completing high school in Merrill, J. Leland Pope worked for his father for a few months on the ranch where he now lives. Following his marriage at 21, he rented the home ranch and farmed it for five years before purchasing an 800-acre stock ranch in Modoc County, California. After operating it three years, he traded for property in Washington, near Walla Walla, and spent two years in that state before acquiring a ranch at Junction City. Oregon. In 1926 he returned to the Merrill ranch and leased the ranch from his father and is still farming the land which he bought in 1940 from his mother. He grows potatoes, hay and Alsike clover and raises stock cattle. In the meantime, Mr. Pope has purchased and cleared 123 acres near Merrill for raising clover, alfalfa and grain, and has bought 400 acres of hill pasture and 120 acres of irrigated pasture for feeding the cattle herd he has started. On October 6, 1915, at Canyonville, Oregon, Mr. Pope married Mary McGilvray who was born at Trempaleau, Wisconsin, December 6, 1893. Her father, Gilbert McGilvray, was the first white child born in that Wisconsin County of Trempaleau, in 1854. He died in 1926. Her mother, Olivia (Camp) McGilvray, was also a native of Wisconsin, born in 1857 and died in 1929. Mrs. Pope is a popular matron of the Merrill community, holding memberships in the Woman's Libra, Club, the Rebekah Lodge and the Grange. Mr. and Mrs. Pope have two children: James Randall, born July 23, 1920, who is his father's assistant on the ranch ; and Donald L., born Decem­ber 22, 1931. Besides his farming, Mr. Pope's interests include activities of the Odd Fellows Lodge, the Grange and the Merrill Service Club ; he is registered a Re­publican. During the past few years he has made blooded cattle his hobby and is developing and enlarging a herd of Black Angus cattle.

History of Klamath County, Oregon : Good, Rachel Applegate, Klamath Falls, Or.: unknown, 1941, Pages 489-490

 

FRED L. POPE, JR.

Establishing his home and interests in Klamath County where he was born, Fred L. Pope has within a few years become one of the well known cattlemen of the Fort Klamath section that is widely acclaimed as one of the finest cattle producing areas. Born at Merrill, November 1, 1904, he was one of the six children of Fred L. and Dora (Ballard) Pope. His father, who gained recognition as a rancher and stock­man in this county, was born in Iowa on September 15, 1861, but came to this county in 1898 and purchased a ranch near Merrill from J. Frank Adams, where he was instrumental in obtaining irrigation water for the district. He later moved to a ranch near Fort Klamath that he had purchased in 1929, and was living there when his death occurred in July, 1935. His wife, a native of Modoc County, California, born March 31, 1874, is a woman who makes many friends and has the devotion of her family. She makes her home at Merrill. Receiving his education in the public school at Merrill and Oregon State College at Corvallis, Fred Pope, Jr., entered salesman­ship, selling electric refrigerators at Portland, Oregon, then later worked for the United States Bureau of Public Roads in the Fremont forest. Concluding this employment he returned to Portland as bookkeeper for the International Harvester Company for a year before coming to Klamath Falls where he held a similar position four years with the Sanitary Packing Company. Before resuming ranch life which had been his earlier interest, he again returned to Portland and was affiliated with the Safeway Stores of that city for three years. At the death of his father Mr. Pope took over the duties and responsibilities of a cattle ranch, operating the place for his mother until 1939, when he purchased the ranch and is now keeping cattle on a grazing basis. By numerous improvements he converted it into one of the most attractive in the Wood River Valley, as well as one of the most profitable. On December 17, 1929, at Portland, Fred L. Pope, Jr., married Dorothy H. Ott, who was born at Hailsit, Long Island, New York, on September 29, 1908, and at the time of her marriage was a deputy district clerk in the courthouse at Portland. Her father, Stanley H. Ott, was born in Connecticut in 1885 and is employed in one of the shipyards at Portland. Her mother, Norma M. (Cross) Ott, was born in Montana in 1881, and has devoted her interests since marriage to her husband and two daughters. The two children born to Mr. and Mrs. Pope are: Linda Jean, born on the ranch near Fort Klamath, January 5, 1937; and Stephen Fredric, born May 26, 1940, in Klamath Falls. Mr. Pope, who in his political faith is Republican, concentrates his activities on his ranching venture but, taking an intelligent and ever- widening interest in affairs of the county, is becoming one of the valued residents of his community.

History of Klamath County, Oregon : Good, Rachel Applegate, Klamath Falls, Or.: unknown, 1941, Pages 489-490



THOMAS H. JOHNSTONE

There are few names more prominently associated with the commercial development of Modoc County than that of Mr. Johnstone, who is at the head of various important enterprises in the county and especially has been interested in movements for the commercial growth of Cedarville, his home town. The general store of which he is manager and principal owner and which forms one of the largest concerns of its kind in Surprise Valley was incorporated in April 1905, under the laws of California, with a capital stock of $40,000, business being conducted under the name of the T.H. Johnstone Company. In March of 1905, Mr. Johnstone became the president of the newly organized Surprise Valley State Bank, capitalized at $25,000, and this responsible position he now fills, in addition to conducting his important mercantile enterprise and acting as a notary public and agent for a number of fire insurance companies. Another important undertaking which owes its origin to himself and other men equally public-spirited is the Surprise Valley Electric Light and Power Company, which was organized for the purpose of furnishing light and power to the people of the valley, and was incorporated in May 1905, with a capital stock of $25,000. Not only by the investment of money in shares of stock has Mr. Johnstone aided the development of this company, but he has been especially helpful through his services as treasurer and vice-president, which positions he has filled since the organization of the company. 


       Of Canadian birth, Mr. Johnstone was born in Ontario, February 7, 1850, and grew to manhood upon the home farm. After the death of his father he conducted the farm for one year in the interests of his mother and then went to the regions east of Hudson Bay, where he was employed in the lumber business. During the Fenian raid in Canada in 1870 he enlisted as a private in the Ottawa Artillery, and later was promoted to be sergeant, serving as such until the troubles were ended. In recognition of his bravery and gallant services Queen Victoria some years later presented him with a medal, which he now cherishes as one of is most valued possessions. 

       On coming to the States in 1876, Mr. Johnstone became interested in mining near Virginia City, Nev., but soon removed to California and for one year was employed in herding sheep in Modoc County. Next he rented a farm in what is known as the Cottonwood district of Surprise Valley. On coming to Cedarville he secured a position as bookkeeper with M.D. Haynes & Co., and two years later, on the dissolution of this firm, he was chosen business manager for Cressler & Bonner in the same town. Remaining with that firm for three years when a consolidation was effected for their interests with Kistler Brothers, he was admitted as a member of the firm of Kistler, Johnstone & Co. Three years later, when that partnership was dissolved, he bought out a small store owned by L. Waldenberg & Co. With this as a nucleus he has built up a large trade that extends in every direction from Cedarville, throughout the surrounding country, and he also , since May 1904, has operated similar store at Eagleville. His attractive home in Cedarville is presided over the lady whom he married June 26, 1878 and who was Miss Anna M. Mills, a native of Canada; they are the parents of two daughters, Cassie M. and Jennie D. The family are identified with the Episcopal denomination, and are contributors to the religious and philanthropic movements. Active in local politics as a leader of the Republic party in Cedarville and vicinity, Mr. Johnstone, though declining official honors for himself, has given his staunch support to friends during their candidacy for official positions and has been a contributor to the upbuilding of the party in the county. Fraternally he is a member and past master of Surprise Valley Lodge No. 235. F.& A.M., having been made a Mason in Canada in 1875.
 

        Guinn, J.M. History of the State of California and Biographical Records of the Sierras. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1906 at page 665-666 

 

Biographies transcribed by: Martha A Crosley Graham

    Site Updated: 28 February 2012