Monterey County California Genealogy and History

Monterey County: Biographies



DE WITT APPLETON

The present improved condition and appearance of Monterey owes much to such progressive, enterprising designers and builders as De Witt Appleton, a native of San Francisco, born September 28, 1875, the son of David E. and Rachel (Pullen) Appleton, the former a pioneer of 1850. Although hailing from New York city, where he had been associated with his relatives, D. Appleton & Co., world known publishers, he was glad, on landing in San Francisco during the hurly-burly of the early gold rush to drive a dump cart and to work as an employee in leveling off the sand and prepare for building. He later bought several paper routes, and in time established himself in a bookstore; while still later he became a publisher. He died in 1876 and Mrs. Appleton, a lady beloved as her lamented husband has been esteemed, survived him until 1924.

De Witt Appleton attended the public schools of San Francisco and San Benito county and then took special courses of study at the University of California. As a boy he learned the carpenter's trade but afterward he took agricultural courses leading to his mastery of the creamery and butter trade. In time, however, he took up carpenter work again. Coming to Monterey in December, 1905, he engaged in the creamery business but for the past eight years has been applying himself to designing and building residences. He remodeled the T. F. Filed residence, and he has done much work outside of the city. He specializes in Spanish architecture of which he has made a special study. In politics, he prefers the republican platform. In fraternal affairs he is an Elk, Moose and Modern Woodman.

Source: History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California : cradle of California's history and romance : dating from the planting of the cross of Christendom upon the shores of Monterey Bay by Fr. Junipero Serra, and those intrepid adventurers who accompanied him, down to the present day. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925, 890 pgs.