Monterey County California Genealogy and History

Monterey County: Biographies



FRED McCRARY

Among the progressive young building contractors of Monterey county the name of Fred McCrary, of Pacific Grove, has come to occupy an outstanding position by reason of the high character of workmanship revealed in buildings for which he has been responsible. Though an easterner by birth and training, Mr. McCrary's activities in this line have been confined to California practically since he attained his majority and he thus is thoroughly familiar with conditions and needs in his line here. He had a responsible connection with the erection of the buildings for the Panama-Pacific Exposition and afterward established himself in business as a contractor in Monterey county, having since made his home at Pacific Grove, where he is pleasantly situated and where he has done very well, many of the best buildings erected in this locality during the past decade exhibiting evidence of the substantial character of his work.

Mr. McCrary was born at Ashville, North Carolina, March 22, 1890, and is a son of Sol and Julia (King) McCrary, who not long after that date moved with their family to Terre Haute, Indiana. The mother of whom is still living. The father was an experienced building contractor and became well established in business in Terre Haute.

Reared in that city, Fred McCrary received his early education in the local schools and from the days of his boyhood, under his father's direction, was well trained in the carpenter's trade, by the time he had attained his majority having become competent to carry on work as a contractor. In 1912 he came to California and in San Francisco engaged in the building line, following his vocation there for two or three years, at the end of which time he returned east, but not long afterward came back to California and engaged in the great task involved in the erection of the structures necessary for the Panama-Pacific Exposition. In this capacity he superintended the erection of the fine arts building and festival hall, two of the notable edifices connected with that memorable exposition held in 1915, and upon the completion of his labors there located in Monterey county, where he since has made his home and where he has become well established in business.

In 1914, at Redwood City, California, Mr. McCrary was united in marriage to Miss Anna Viercke, daughter of John Viercke of Portland, Oregon, and they have three children: Sol, Julia and Dave. The McCrarys have a pleasant home at Pacific Grove and take a proper and helpful interest in the general social activities of that community.

Source: History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California : cradle of California's history and romance : dating from the planting of the cross of Christendom upon the shores of Monterey Bay by Fr. Junipero Serra, and those intrepid adventurers who accompanied him, down to the present day. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925, 890 pgs.