Monterey County California Genealogy and History

Monterey County: Biographies



L. H. NIELSEN, D. C.

Dr. L. H. Nielsen, a thoroughly trained chiropractor, whose familiarity with modern science, as exemplified in his professional work, has brought him a large practice in Salinas, was born at Bryant, Iowa, November 27, 1894, and attended the local schools for which that state has long been famous. He availed himself of every opportunity for educational progress and in time was ready for advanced studies.

He matriculated at the Universal Chiropractic College of Davenport, Iowa, and was duly graduated with the class of 1916. Desirous of trying his fortune in the far west, he settled in Salinas, California, and here established an office. When the World war called for heroic volunteers, Dr. Nielsen was among the earliest to make for the scene of action and grim duty. He joined the Eighty-eighth Division, Medical Corps, as a private, was six months at Camp Dodge, in Iowa, and saw a year of service in France. Following his return to the United States he took a post-graduate course at the Pittsburgh College of- Chiropractic, and on finishing his studies there returned to California and resumed successful practice at Salinas. He has grown in popularity and influence, which means that he has greatly widened his circle for usefulness to humanity. It is not surprising therefore that he is the acceptable president of the Tri-Counties' Chiropractic Association, which includes the counties of Monterey, San Benito and Santa Cruz. He is also a member of the Federal Association of California. He has been commander of Salinas Post, No. 31, of the American Legion, of which he is a charter member and he belongs to Salinas Lodge, No. 204, F. & A. M., the Sciots; Salinas Lodge, No. 614, B. P. O. E., and Alisal Lodge, No. 163, I. O. O. F.

Source: History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California : cradle of California's history and romance : dating from the planting of the cross of Christendom upon the shores of Monterey Bay by Fr. Junipero Serra, and those intrepid adventurers who accompanied him, down to the present day. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925, 890 pgs.