Monterey County California Genealogy and History

Monterey County: Biographies



JACKSON C. PHILLIPS

Jackson C. Phillips, one of the well known and substantial orchardists in Santa Cruz county and proprietor of a well kept and highly improved place in the beautiful valley of Green Valley creek north of Watsonville, is a native son of California and has lived in this state all his life. A resident of Santa Cruz county since he was six years of age, he thus has been a witness to and a participant in the amazing development that has taken place here during the past half century and more. Mr. Phillips was born on a farm in what now has become a part of the city of Alameda, in the county of that name, in the year 1862 and is a son of Bonaparte and Margaret Phillips, the latter of whom was a native of Ireland.

The late Bonaparte Phillips, one of the pioneers of Santa Cruz county, was a native of the state of Tennessee. As a young man he came to California, one of the '49ers, and engaged driving a wagon train from San Francisco to the mining districts. After his marriage he bought a tract of land, the site now occupied by Mills College at Alameda, and there made his home until in 1868, when he disposed of that place and with his family and his household goods in a wagon drove through to Santa Cruz county and to Watsonville by way of the Mount Madonna trail and into the valley where he bought a tract of land and established his home on what is now known as the Amesti road between Freedom and Corralitos. He was a good farmer and a good manager and to his original holding there he gradually added until he became the owner of a fine place of eight hundred acres and was long regarded as one of the substantial men of the county. Bonaparte Phillips died in 1895, and his wife passed away in 1903. They were the parents of six children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the third in order of birth, the others being Edward, George (deceased), Charles, Minnie and Frank.

Jackson C. Phillips was but six years of age when his parents and the family drove into the Green Valley country. He has distinct recollections of that long trip, during which as a small boy he trudged along the trail beside the wagon carrying the household stuff and of the establishment of the pioneer home in the then wilderness. He grew up on that farm, from the days of his boyhood an able aid to his father in the latter's development work, and after his marriage established his home there and has since resided on the place, where he and his family are very comfortably and very pleasantly situated. Mr. Phillips' ranch is part of the acreage formerly held by his father, he having a fine place of one hundred and two acres, all in full bearing orchards. These orchards have been developed in accordance with the best standards of horticulture and their products are in wide demand, the excellence of the Phillips fruit long having been acknowledged in the fruit market. The place is improved in admirable shape, the dwelling house and other buildings comprising this modern farm being right up to standard.

It was in 1898 that Jackson C. Phillips was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Barry, a member of one of the old families in this section of California, and he and his wife have four children, Loretta, Walter, Stanley and Aloysa. The Phillips family are members of the Roman Catholic church, and Mr. Phillips is affiliated with the local council of the Knights of Columbus.

Source: History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California : cradle of California's history and romance : dating from the planting of the cross of Christendom upon the shores of Monterey Bay by Fr. Junipero Serra, and those intrepid adventurers who accompanied him, down to the present day. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925, 890 pgs.