Monterey County California Genealogy and History

Monterey County: Biographies



EDWIN WILEY REEVES, M. D.


Submitted by his daughter, Beverly Reeves (Mrs. Jerome) Politzer - July 2013


Dr. Edwin Wiley Reeves was born in Jonesboro, Sullivan County, Tennessee, September 16, 1890. He attended Emery and Henry University and was graduated from the medical school at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee. He spent two years in the medical department at the University of Texas at Galveston. At a later date, he earned his advanced degree as a specialist in the field of ear, eye, nose and throat medicine from Columbia University, in New York City. He joined the Phi Chi Medical Fraternity in 1916.

In the meantime, the United States had entered World War I. Dr. Reeves had joined the Tennessee Wildcats to serve as a medical officer during the conflict. On September 21, 1917, Dr. Reeves was commissioned First Lieutenant in the 117th Infantry at Camp Sevier, Greenville, S.C., and left for France in April 1918 with the 13th Division of the United States Army. He was attached to the British forces at Ypres for three months and at Cambria and at San Quentin as an infantry surgeon. For six months he was in the trenches in France, on the Western Front. He was transferred to the 115th Machine Gun Battalion and advanced to the rank of captain. Following the cessation of hostilities, he was discharged from the service at Camp Jackson, S.C. on April 19, 1919.

In the spring of that year, having safely returned to civilian life and the pursuits of peace, Dr. Reeves went to Salinas, California, where he continued the practice of medicine and surgery for 45 years. He was a past president and member of the Monterey County Medical Association and of the California State and American Medical Associations. He was involved in the development of three private hospitals in Salinas as well as the Monterey County Hospital, where he donated his time and skills as a doctor. He was assistant district surgeon of the Southern Pacific Railroad.

On January 19, 1919, Dr. Reeves was married to Miss Carolyn Carty, a native of Knoxville, Tennessee. This union was blessed with three children, two daughters, Margaret Evelyn and Beverly Jane, and a son, Edwin Wiley Reeves, Jr.

Dr. Reeves was a captain in the Medical Reserve Corps of the United States Army, and belonged to Post No. 31 of the American Legion. He was the only life member of the Salinas Board, Salvation Army. Dedication of the “Reeves-Voss” Salvation Army Playground on Market Street in Salinas took place on November 13, 1964 in honor of Dr. Reeves and Carl Voss. Dr. Reeves belonged to the Salinas Exchange Club, of which he was one of the organizers. He was a member of Salinas Lodge No. 204, F. & A.M., San Jose Consistory No. 9, Scottish Rite, the Islam Temple of Shrine in San Francisco, Salinas Lodge NO. 604, B.P.O.E., the Last Man’s Club, Salinas Post No. 31, American Legion.

He also was a member of the Church of the Good Shepherd in Corral de Tierra, Salinas, CA. On June 1, 1960, the Church of the Good Shepherd dedicated the “Wiley Reeves Memorial Parish Hall” in his memory. Dr. Reeves died June 10, 1962. His grave is in the Garden of Memories, Salinas, CA.

Dr. Reeves’ loyalty in citizenship in times of peace as well as in days of war, his devotion to his professional duties and his helpful interest in community life, all combine to make him a valued resident of Salinas.

The bell, which calls members of the Church of the Good Shepherd to service, is from an engine on the Western Pacific Line. Mr. Jim Bungard, a friend of Dr. Reeves, donated it. The bell had been stored by Mr. Bungard for 25 years on his ranch. It was dedicated by Bishop Millard in Dr. Reeves’ memory on Feb. 12, 1967.




WILEY REEVES, M. D.


Dr. Wiley Reeves, physician and surgeon of Salinas was born near Bristol, Sullivan county, Tennessee, September 16, 1890, and was graduated from the Jonesboro high school in his native state, as a member of the class of 1909. He then matriculated at the University of Texas, at Austin, Texas, and with the natural enthusiasm of one thoroughly in love with his work, he there successfully pursued the academic course. Having determined on the practice of medicine as a life work he spent two years in the medical department of the University of Texas at Galveston; and in 1917, the Vanderbilt University at Nashville, Tennessee, in which he completed his studies, conferred on him the coveted degree of Doctor of Medicine.

In the meantime the United States had entered the great World war, and on September 21, 1917, Dr. Reeves was commissioned First Lieut, in the 117th Infantry at Camp Sevier, at Greenville, S. C, and left for France in April, 1918, with the Thirtieth Division of the United States Army. He was attached to the British forces at Ypres for three months, and was at Cambria and San Quentin as infantry surgeon. For six months he was in the trenches in France, on the west front. He was transferred to the One Hundred and Fifteenth Machine Gun battalion, was advanced to the rank of captain and following the cessation of hostilities was discharged from the service at Camp Jackson, in South Carolina, April 19, 1919.

In the spring of that year, having safely returned to civil life and the pursuits of peace, Dr. Reeves came west to California and took up the practice of medicine and surgery at Salinas where he has a satisfactory growing practice. He is assistant district surgeon of the Southern Pacific Railroad and through wide reading keeps in touch with modern scientific methods.

On January 9, 1918, Dr. Reeves was married to Miss Carolyn Carty, a native of Knoxville, Tennessee and their union has been blessed with two children, a daughter, Margaret Evelyn and a son, E. W. Reeves, Jr. Dr. Reeves is a captain of the Medical Reserve Corps of the United States Army and belongs to Salinas Post, No. 31, of the American Legion. He belongs to the Salinas Exchange Club, of which he was one of the organizers, and is a member of Salinas Lodge, No. 614, B. P. O. E.; and Salinas Lodge, No. 204, F. & A. M. His loyalty in citizenship in times of peace as well as in days of war, his devotion to his professional duties and his helpful interest in community life, all combine to make him a valued resident of Salinas.

Source: History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California : cradle of California's history and romance : dating from the planting of the cross of Christendom upon the shores of Monterey Bay by Fr. Junipero Serra, and those intrepid adventurers who accompanied him, down to the present day. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925, 890 pgs.