Monterey County California Genealogy and History

Monterey County: Biographies



A. E. RODMAN, M. A.

Among the educational institutions of Santa Cruz county, and one that has undoubtly done much, in the most practical way, for the good of the community, is the Santa Cruz Business College, now under the very able management of its proprietor, A. E. Rodman, M. A. A native of Wisconsin, he was born at La Crosse, April 23, 1879 and he came to Santa Cruz with his parents in 1888. As a boy he attended the "Flat" (Laurel) school and later the Glenn Canyon and "Hill" (Mission Hill) schools.

When but thirteen years of age he ran away from home and on the western cattle ranges became a range rider and marksman of considerable repute, although but a boy. In 1894 he gave up the range life and entered the academic department of the University of the Pacific. After his graduation he was department principal in that institution until 1898.

In 1898 Mr. Rodman went to the Gas City Business College as principal of the penmanship and commercial departments, but later in that year he resigned to take part in the Spanish-American war and served as scout in the Philippines, his early range training making him particularly adapted to scout work. In 1900 he returned to the University of the Pacific and received the post-graduate degree of Master of Accounts. From 1901 to 1907 he was actively engaged in higher accounting, expert auditing and systematizing of accounts in San Francisco, where he is well and favorably known for his ability in accounting lines. Mr. Rodman is also considered to be one of the most expert all-round penmen and texting artists in the United States. In 1908 Mr. Rodman reentered the teaching field because of serious difficulty with his vision, resulting in temporary blindness. He was connected with the "Heald" chain of schools as department principal, and it was in that capacity that he was returned to Santa Cruz, where he remained until 1910.

At the time of the World war, Professor Rodman was in charge of the Berkeley Business College, Berkeley, California, but he resigned to enter the military service, where he served in various capacities. After the signing of the armistice he again took up teaching at the Chico Business College, Chico, California, where he remained for over four years, but in May, 1923, he again returned to Santa Cruz and bought the Heald interests in the Santa Cruz Business College. This business college is one of the oldest schools of the kind in the state, having been founded in 1880 by J. A. Chesnutwood, and has been operated continuously since that time. Many of the leading business and professional men now of Santa Cruz were graduates of the school in the '80s and '90s. In 1910 the school was moved to the Trust building on Pacific avenue, the quarters being designed by Mr. Rodman who was then principal under the Heald management. The school having outgrown the quarters in the Trust building, Mr. Rodman has again moved the school-this time to the new Sisson building, on Pacific avenue near Laurel street. The new school occupies a space one hundred and twenty-eight by sixty-five feet; is a modern fireproof concrete and steel building, and in point of arrangement, equipment, and comfort is very easily one of the best schools in the state. There is a complete printing plant in connection with the school, also a dormitory for girls,, and a private apartment for Mr. Rodman and his family.

In 1918 Mr. Rodman was married to Miss Loma Lou Getchell, a prominent young lady of Berkeley, and they have one son, Shirley Lee. Mr. Rodman is prominent in lodge circles and has retained his membership in the Santa Cruz Lodge, No. 96, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, for over twenty years. He is also a member of Santa Cruz Exchange Club.

Source: History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California : cradle of California's history and romance : dating from the planting of the cross of Christendom upon the shores of Monterey Bay by Fr. Junipero Serra, and those intrepid adventurers who accompanied him, down to the present day. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925, 890 pgs.