Monterey County California Genealogy and History

Monterey County: Biographies



EDWARD F. ROSSI

A wide-awake factor in the modern motoring world, Edward F. Rossi, the experienced and attentive proprietor of the Salinas Garage, at 320 Main street, Salinas, in which city he was born, in the old Ross Hotel on Main street, July 20, 1879, the son of E. and Carolina (Tholcke) Rossi, the former a native of Switzerland, the latter of Germany. Mr. Rossi came to Calfiornia in the early '70s and for a while mined in Eldorado county. Coming to Salinas, he worked as a butcher in the St John Butcher Shop; and later he bought and conducted the Ross Hotel on Main street. This house is still standing. It was the headquarters of the Swiss who came to Salinas from the old country, and Mr. Rossi helped them in many ways. He was an influential leader among them, pointing the way to their becoming better citizens. In later years he was prominent in republican politics, often swinging the Swiss vote to that great party. He and his good wife were married in the Ross Hotel, and their two sons, Edward F. and Oswald C. Rossi were born there. Mr. Rossi was a member of the Salinas lodge of Odd Fellows, and was always welcomed in its circles.

Edward F. Rossi attended the Salinas grammar and high schools, and at the age of fourteen earned many an honest dollar by delivering newspapers to homes in Salinas. He next clerked in Meyers' store, and also for J. W. Parker, and then he was apprenticed to learn the machinist's trade, at the Union Iron Works of San Francisco, remaining there for six years, but luckily returning to Salinas just before the fire in the former city. He was appointed a machinist in the Spreckels Sugar Factory and after a while he was given charge of the mechanical work of the Salinas Brewing Company. In 1911, in partnership with Tom Phillips, he bought the Cooper Garage on Main Street and within two years he bought out his partner. Since then he has carried on a general garage and repair business and deals in auto accessories.

Mr. Rossi was married in 1902, at San Francisco, to Miss Anna E. Anderson, a descendant of the well-known Stone family of Monterey county pioneers. They now have two daughters, Elita and Margie, both graduates of the Salinas Union high school. Mr. Rossi's local business standing is well indicated in the fact that he is the treasurer of the Rotary Club of Salinas. For five years he served as a trustee of the Salinas grammar schools. He is a member of Salinas Lodge, No. 204, F. & A. M., Salinas Chapter, No. 59, R. A. M., and the Islam Shrine of San Francisco. He is also very active in Lodge No. 614, of the B. P. O. E. and Alisal Lodge, No. 163, I. O. O. F., of Salinas. Mrs. Rossi is president of the Civic Club and takes an active part in public and charitable work in the community. During the World war she gave fourteen months to canteen work for the American Red Cross at Salinas. Both Mr. and Mrs. Rossi are held in high esteem and have a wide circle of warm friends.

Source: History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California : cradle of California's history and romance : dating from the planting of the cross of Christendom upon the shores of Monterey Bay by Fr. Junipero Serra, and those intrepid adventurers who accompanied him, down to the present day. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925, 890 pgs.