Monterey County California Genealogy and History

Monterey County: Biographies



F. G. WILSON

Widely known among the most successful home-builders in Santa Cruz county, the firm of Wilson Brothers, pioneer subdividers and real estate brokers represented by F. G. Wilson of Santa Cruz, have done much to increase and also to stabilize land values, at the same time that they have contributed toward the elevation of public taste. A native of California, Mr. Wilson was born at Santa Cruz, September 6, 1887, the son of David and Emma (Goodspeed) Wilson, who came here about fifty years ago, and soon were recognized as among the most valuable of pioneer settlers. The father at first followed farming and then engaged in the clothing business, which he continued until Jesse Cope bought out his business. He is still living and active in the northwest, but his wife, Mrs. Emma Wilson, an exceptional mother of six children, has passed on to her eternal reward.

A product in part, of the public school system, having progressed from the grammar school to the high school and Robertson's preparatory school, T. G. Wilson entered Stanford University where he completed a four-year course in economics, after which he returned to Santa Cruz and joined his brother, D. L. Wilson, in the real estate and insurance business. The latter had already ventured into trade, and in 1911 they established themselves as subdividers. They opened the Wilson Brothers Tracts, and so successful have they been that they are now disposing of the sixth area. In each case, they have laid out and graded their property, installed adequate water service and perfected the titles, following this up for many purchasers by building the most attractive of modern houses, together with poultry and other out houses. They have thus become the promoters here of a great work, the property they control now being assessed at three hundred and fifty dollars an acre, instead of one hundred dollars as formerly-the fortunate result of the improvements introduced. About fifteen men are regularly employed by the Wilson Brothers in the operation of their building department.

F. G. Wilson married Miss Mildred Tanner, the daughter of John Tanner, well known and well liked wholesale and retail druggist, and their union has been blessed with two children, Mildred Virginia and Tanner Goodspeed. Mr. Wilson is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Olympic Club of San Francisco. He is fond of outdoor sport, and he is particularly adept in the playing of golf and polo.

Source: History of Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, California : cradle of California's history and romance : dating from the planting of the cross of Christendom upon the shores of Monterey Bay by Fr. Junipero Serra, and those intrepid adventurers who accompanied him, down to the present day. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1925, 890 pgs.