CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy
Part of The CAGenWeb Monterey County Project
See Forum Index for instructions on How To Register.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earthquake of 1800

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Monterey, All of it Between Two Covers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monterey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Earthquake of 1800 Reply with quote

(Account of earthquake at San Juan Bautista, as given in letter of the captain of the Presidio of Monterey, to Governor Arrillaga, on the 31st of October, 1800).

"Monterey, October 31, 1800.
"I have to inform your excellency that the mission of San Juan Bautista since the 11th instant has been visited by severe earthquakes; that Pedro Adriano Martinez, one of the fathers of said mission, has informed me that during one day there were six severe shocks; that there is not a single habitation, although built with double walls, that has not been injured from roof to foundation, and that all are threatened with ruin; and that the fathers are compelled to sleep in the wagons to avoid danger since the houses are not habitable.

"At the place where the rancheria is situated some small openings have been observed in the earth, and also in the neighborhood of the river Pajaro there is another deep opening, all resulting from the earthquakes. These phenomena have filled the fathers and the inhabitants of that mission with consternation.

"The Lieutenant Don Raymundo Carillo has assured me the same, for on the 18th he stopped for the night at this mission (San Juan) on his journey from San Jose, and being at supper with one of the fathers, a shock was felt so powerful and attended with such a loud noise as to deafen them, when they fled to the court without finishing their supper, and that about eleven o'clock at night the shock was repeated with almost equal strength.

"The fathers of the mission say that the Indians assure them that there have always been earthquakes at that place, and that there are certain cavities caused by the earthquakes, and that salt water has flowed from the same.

"All of which I communicate to you for your information.

"May our Lord preserve your life many years.

"HERMENEGILDO SAL"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Monterey, All of it Between Two Covers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: