CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy
Part of The CAGenWeb Monterey County Project
See Forum Index for instructions on How To Register.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wright, Roy 1948 INTERVIEW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Biographies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary S Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Wright, Roy 1948 INTERVIEW Reply with quote

Pacific Grove Tribune, CA July 30, 1948
If You Wonder Whether Roy Wright Has It, A Look At His Life Might Give the Answer
If long-time residents of Pacific Grove are in need of something which has been out of stock for years in most stores, they know just where to go. Whether it be a kerosene lamp, a five tined pitch fork, or a barnsized mail box, these seasoned shoppers know that Roy “By Golly” Wright’s “Store of Three Wonders” will probably produce results. “You wonder if I have it, I wonder where it is,a nd everybody wonders how I find it,” reads the carboard slogan which explains the unofficial name of Roy’s establishment. Old and New. The two story building is virtually a menagerie of hardware supplies which range from fishing tackle of the tom Sawyer era to modern radios and cooking utensils. These supplies bulge from every nook and cranny to give the store an atmostphere much like that found in grandmother’s attic. One would swear that there coulnd’t possibly be room for another object, yet, Roy is constantly stuffing new equipment, “here and there” to the delight of customers who like to browse around. Like some of his goods, Roy has been behind the counter for a long time, forty three years to be exact. He had seen the town grow from less than five hundred to its present population of about eleven thousand inhabitants. A goodly portion of the sales he first rang up were for bridles, harness, single trees, etc., for the horse and buggy was the mode of travel in those days. This was in 1905 when old timers will remember the hardware store of Will E. Wright & Son. Young Ideas. When Roy bought the business from his father in 1912, he “revolutionized” the hardware game in the grove. The enterprising young proprietor purchased a single-cylinder Oldsmobile and initiated an automotive delivery service – the first of its kind in town. “Occasionally the old girl would backfire and there would be a runaway if a horse and buggy was near, but the idea caught on,” reminisces “By Golly.” Roy was fire chief from 1924 to 1938. During his reign he wsa responsible for the system of paying volunteers for services rendered. Let It Burn Til I Get There. “I gave instructions to the boys, that if I was absent when a fire started, for them to pile on a little more wood until I got there. I wanted to get paid also,” he laughed. “Roy came to town “gradually”. He was born at San Jose in 1885. In 1900 his family moved to Los Gatos and five years later they moved on down the line to Gilroy. The Wrights packed up again in 1980, this time settling in Pacific Grove for good. As a youngster, Wright was prominent in sports at Pacific Grove high school. In those days the high school and grammar school both were housed in the same building with a little patch of gravel decorating the area in front which is now Pine avenue. Record Breaker. He competed in baseball, football, tennis, and track for the Breakers. Durign the track season of 1905 he broad jumped 20 feet, 10 inches for a C.C.A.L. record which lasted six years. He still proudly carries the medal which honors the fete. Medals and trophies are not a scarcity in the Wright household. Roy has over twenty-five cups which he won as an amateur tennis player during his youth. Tennis Camp at 47! He climaxed his career with rackets by capturing the city championship at the opening of the local courts in 1932 – at the tender age of 47! In the same year he battled 37 holes with Milo Wistler before losing the city golf crown. His sports career also included softball, a sport in which he was active until his 60th birthday. “I thought the game was getting a little too strenuous so now I confine my activities to sports like golf, hunting, and fishing,” says Roy. Sports of all kinds have been his life long hobby. “I love athletics’ the hardware business is just something to eat,” he grins. “By Golly” is a member of the very successful recreation commission. He belongs to the Rotary Club, the Elks, Odd Fellows, Chamber of Commerce, and the Lighthouse Club. The Tribune salutes Roy Wright as its man of the week. He is an integral part of the town’s personality. His life has been as chockfull of activities as his store is crammed with merchandise. A fourth wonder might be added to Roy’s well known three. “Wonder what Pacific Grove would have been without him.” 1905
Caption: He may not have any left-handed monkey wrenches or snipe traps, but Roy “By Golly” Write has practically everything else in his Store of Three Wonders. The chances are, when Roy brings forth his left hand from the dark confines of this typical looking shelf, he will have exactly what the customer is looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Biographies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: