Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Location: Monterey County, California
|Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:19 pm Post subject: Strange facts
|CUSTOM HOUSE REVENUE:
The total revenue collected by the custom house at Monterey in 1845 was about $140,000. Between 1844 and 1845, 134 vessels arrived. Among them were 45 of American nationality, 11 British, 8 French, 2 German and Swedish, 5 Russian and 3 South American.
While Colonel Fremont was at Monterey in 1846, he needed horses, so he sent to the natives of the Tulare plains and purchased 187 horses and mules, paying for each animal one small butcher knife and a string of beads.
The game of billiards was first introduced at Monterey in 1828. No bets were allowed, and the price of the game was one real.
About the middle of 1845 a pier was constructed at Monterey, contracted for by the authorities with Larkin. Estevan de la Torre furnished 1,500 cart loads of stone at $1 per load; the stone was quarried by some military deserters and Indians, who were given their food and $1 daily. The piles were furnished by Garner at $4 each, laid down near the pier. The cost of the pier was $8,000, more or less, and was made a preference charge on the custom house.
Governor Gutierrez in February, 1836, ordered that mail leave Monterey on the 7th of the month, at 8 P. M. The soldier carrying it to be relieved by another at Santa Barbara, who was to be relieved at San Gabriel by the soldier who takes the mail to San Diego. Mails to leave San Diego the 22nd of every month at 5 A. M. for San Gabriel, Santa Barbara and Monterey. A horse and vaquero, to attend the soldier in case of accident, was to be kept ready, and the courier kept to time, according to table of arrivals and departures at each halting place. The people were to be notified twenty-four hours before arrival, so as to have letters posted.
A saw mill, forty-horse steam power, was erected on Point Pinos by Jacob I Leese in February, 1853. Two writers speak of this mill as being put up March 28th and completed May 10th, 1853. It would saw 10,000 feet of lumber every twenty-four hours. In 1857 it was valued at $10,000 and assessed to Gregory & De Graw.
The hotel, which was fifty feet in width and over two hundred feet in length was built of adobe in 1840, the adobe being obtained from the rear of the San Carlos Church, the trees which were cut down to make way for the building being used in the support of the roof. The building would accommodate over a hundred lodgers and after the gold discovery it became the gambling headquarters of the town.