Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Location: Monterey County, California
|Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:24 pm Post subject: School days, 1796-1846
|In 1785, fifty men comprised the presidial company at Monterey, of these but fourteen could write. In October, 1795, an order was issued by the governor plac¬ing a tax on bachelors as well as married men, for the support of schools. By this decree the attendance of all children over seven and under ten years of age, both of civilians and soldiers, was made obligatory and such of the non-commissioned officers of the presidio who were unable to read and write were ordered to attend.
Following is a list of Monterey school teachers, their salaries and the term of service:
List of Teachers; Salary; Term of Service
Jose Rodriguez; Taught gratuitously; May, 1796
Miguel Archuleta (soldier); $2 extra pay allowance; Jan. 1818-22
Jose Tiburcio Castro; Taught gratuitously; Jan. 1829
Petronila Rios; $20 per month; Feb. 1833
Jose Maria Aguilla; $20 per month; March, 1834
Juan Iguera; $20 per month; June, 1834
Miguel Avila; $100 per annum; April, 1835
Jose Mariano Romero; $1000 per annum; Nov., 1835
Fiorencio Serrano; $1000 per annum; Dec, 1836
Enrique Cambuston; $1200 per annum; Aug., 1840
Jose Maria Gampina; $1000 per annum; July, 1841
Francisco Gomez; $40 per month; June, 1844
Jorge Allen; $1000 per annum; March, 1845
Florence Serrano; $500 per annum; Jan., 1846
W. E. P. Hartnell issued a document December 10, 1833, as follows: He announced that he would open at Monterey, a "casa de education" for a limited number of pupils, not under eight years of age. By the favor of God, the establishment would be opened at the beginning of the coming year; and as there were but limited accommodations for pupils—the wilderness hereabouts being narrow—early application should be made. Instruction would be given in reading and writing, Spanish grammar, French, English, German and Latin, arithmetic and book-keeping, mathematics and philosophy. Particular attention would be given to teaching the Christian doctrine, and the boys' habits and manners. For his board and lodging and education, each pupil should pay $200 yearly. They should furnish their own books and stationery, and bring with them certain clothing. Three weeks thereafter, namely, on January 1, 1834, the school was opened. Fourteen boys were brought together, and yet in a year and a half the school was closed.
In May, 1834, Governor Figueroa reported that there were primary schools at Monterey, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, they were all for boys; none for girls existed.