CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy
Part of The CAGenWeb Monterey County Project
See Forum Index for instructions on How To Register.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marriage of the Hoovers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Monterey, All of it Between Two Covers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monterey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Marriage of the Hoovers Reply with quote

The late Father Ramon M. Mestres of Monterey, gives the following story, substantiated in his own words:

"During the first year I was here the public school building burned and the trustees rented buildings in various parts of the town for use of the classes. Lou Henry was one of the teachers and came to hold classes in the little hall we used for our parties and social affairs in the parish.

"Her children were mostly those of Catholic parentage and after her classes were concluded for the day I used to give them religious instruction. While Miss Henry did not actually assist me in this work she kept her children together for me and in this way gave me valuable help. As a result we became very good friends.

"Her father, Mr. Charles Henry, was cashier of the Bank of Monterey, of which Mr. Thomas Field was president and through this circumstances there were meetings at the homes of both Mr. Field and Mr. Henry, the former being a member of my parish, so the friendship wras strengthened.

"After Miss Henry left to become a student at Stanford she came to tell me that she was engaged and said she would like to have me meet her fiance. She brought Herbert to see me and they talked about the possibility of having me marry them. I said I was happy to meet her future husband but that I could not unite in matrimony two people not of my own faith.

"Mr. Hoover asked if there was no way it could be arranged and I told him he would have to ask the bishop to give me special permission to act as a chaplain, as I had been appointed a military chaplain during the Spanish-American war by Archbishop Reardon of San Francisco.

"The matter was left that way and so it remained until the end of the year when Bishop Montgomery came here to give confirmation. The parish held a reception for him in the hall where Miss Henry had been teaching and both she and Mr. Hoover attended the reception.

After the program was over they came forward to meet the bishop and, during the conversation Mr. Hoover turned to the bishop and said, 'Father Mestres has refused to marry us without special permission from you. Will you give it?'

" 'Is that correct?' the bishop asked me, and I told him it was. 'Then you have it,' replied the bishop, and thus informally, by mere verbal permission, was the last ohstacle removed and thus I came to perform the ceremony in the 'house on the hill,' as Miss Henry called it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Monterey, All of it Between Two Covers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: