CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy
Part of The CAGenWeb Monterey County Project
See Forum Index for instructions on How To Register.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breen, Tommy & Elaine (50) May 1995

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Anniversary Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary S Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Breen, Tommy & Elaine (50) May 1995 Reply with quote

Pacific Grove Beacon, CA May 26, 1995
50-year Breen marriage wins bet for St. Bridget
Dear St. Bridget: Ah, I remember. You once said that “a lake of beer” would be grand when Our Lord has the great Wedding Fest on high. And so, yes, I truly should have understood that a woman of yoru rare intelligence just might outsmart me in our bet. I was too busy saving boozy poets from themselves to see the special light between Tommy and Elaine. The Breens. That good pair. Wild as Willy Yeat’s swans of the lake. But did they have the hardy staying power? I did not think so. She, Elaine, was a writer – sweet of thought, at times, with a wry bite at others. He, Tom, was a programmer in what they call TC. Irish. And both involved with the lovely babble of our days. Feisty and funny and much in love. I believed they would fly high, like birds of fire, and possibly flame out by the time they touched the bare start of middle age. But no. You, Bridget, saw the resilient glow between them. And I di not. My messenger will bring your winnings – Old St. Pat’s favorite beer bucket, filled brim full. Enjoy, wise woman, I do love the cold one on a summer afternoon. They live, now, in a fine small town called Pacific Grove. On May 20, it was – two score of their children and children’s spouses and the shiny grandkids. The whole gang celebrated Tom and Elaine’s half century of holy marriage. Thanks be to God that I was not correct. They are good, and valued where they are – much loved. I thought they would be rather fey. Creatures of whimsy, you see. Being from the Green Isle and all. I forgot this: Tom was a Marine Corps captain during the Second World War. She, so pretty, the wind in her locks, was a private who drove trucks. Higher-ups said an officer could not “fraternize” with an enlisted person. So, Bridget – as I suspect you’ve always known – their love accepted a court-martial rather than separation. And they were married after spunky Elaine’s barracks confinement ended. They had eight fine children together. And the full Irish throng were on hand for the Pacific Grove anniversary party. Elaine composes columns for the community newspaper. Sometimes she reports her chats with St. Joseph – and I suppose it’s well to have such a person pondering and reporting our side of matters. I like Tom. Good man. He knew what he wanted. And they have loved and struggled and celebrated and raged and laughed and wept and played together – married for 50 years. All right, Bridget. The bucket’s yours. You saw in them what I did not see, and you won it fair and square. Your friend, St. Patrick of Ireland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Anniversary Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: