CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy
Part of The CAGenWeb Monterey County Project
See Forum Index for instructions on How To Register.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sones at West Point 1983

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Military Notes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary S Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Sones at West Point 1983 Reply with quote

Pacific Grove Tribune, CA April 20, 1983
Bryndol Sones sets sights on West Point
In the glare of stadium lights, Bryndol Sones athletic abilities may over-shadow his academic prowess. Nevertheless, the 17-year-old Pacific Grove High Senior maintains a 3.9o GPA and is the Student of the Month of March. Sones also announced last week that he has been accepted at Westpoint Military Academy and has decided to attend that school next year. He is the youngest son of Glyndol and Suk Sones of Pacific Grove. “My two brothers and my sister went to private school…so I looked for a college that has as little financial burden as possible for my parents…I chose Westpoint because, well, you get to go to one of the best schools in the nation and you can’t beat the financial side. There’s something there that no other school can offer. You can grow quite a bit and strengthen your character,” he says. Was he surprised to be named student of the month? “Not really,” he says. “It’s basically the top 10 students. I wasn’t’ really surprised. I had a feeling it would come up sooner or later. I don’t study to be in the to p 10 but I study to get 4.0 or as many A’s as possible. My strongest subjects are math and science. I also enjoy history. Right now, I’m taking European history – the Middle Ages and up. I’m pretty fascinated with that,” he says in a matter-of-fact tome. At Westpoint, he plans to study engineering and has ideas of specializing in chemical engineering. The five-year military obligation at the end of his schooling does not phase him. “My father is a military person,” he points out. He thinks he will continue with sports in his new school as well. He says he definitely will continue to play his favorite team sport, baseball, and perhaps some football. Sones looked at other schools before deciding on Westpoinrt. He was accepted at several, including Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York and University of California, Berkeley. He felt attracted by the discipline at Westpoint, however. “I think in all people there’s a little laziness,” he says. “Instead of going home, watching TV and drinking a few beers – you won’t do that at Westpoint…If, say, I went to Berkeley, I might do that. I might became a party-type person.” Acknowledging that the austere lifestyle might require some adjustments, he says. “I’m into going to say there’s anything easy about Westpoint but I know there’s a good future there.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CAGenWeb Monterey County Genealogy Forum Index -> Military Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: