Plumas County Biographies, 1882, Surnames D-H

These are Plumas County biographies that were published in the book Illustrated History of Plumas, Lassen & Sierra Counties (Fariss and Smith, San Francisco, 1882). These biographies are available in full-text form by clicking on a specific name. Some Lassen County and some Sierra County biographies may be included here. Wherever possible, full names have been provided where, in the book, individuals were listed by initials only. This additional information was provided by Elizabeth E. Bullard, using Plumas County census records, vital records, voter registrations, court records, and other historical documents as source materials. Known misspellings and typographical errors in the book also have been corrected on this page. Corrections to names and errors are {bracketed}.

Aaron Davis (p. 270)
This gentleman was born at Newark, New Jersey, May 24, 1813. When six years of age he accompanied his parents to Mount Vernon, Ohio, which he made his home for sixteen years. He then went to Cincinnati, and was engaged for three years in mercantile pursuits, being also one of the contractors of the Illinois and Michigan canal, commenced in 1836. In 1840 he went to Grant county, Wisconsin, and was occupied in merchandising and smelting lead, serving as deputy sheriff for two years. In 1849 he came overland to California, via the Lassen trail, arriving in Marysville September 21, 1849. He spent four years in mining, and then settled in Nevada county, where he engaged in merchandising, milling, and mining. In 1867 he removed to Sierra valley, and bought a ranch of 320 acres one mile west of Sierraville, on which he has since lived. Mr. Davis was a delegate to the state republican convention in 1872, and was elected a supervisor from the third district, in 1879. He was married December 25, 1838, at Ottawa, Illinois, to Miss Emma O’Hara, daughter of Captain William O’Hara of the British army. Their children are Morris W., born May 10, 1843; Wood B., May 21, 1847; Thornton E, July 18, 1855; George G., January 21, 1858; Emma N., December 3, 1859; Aaron Davis, Jr., June 2, 1862. Morris married Grace Cullen in 1864, and is living in San Francisco; Emma was wedded to H. O. Nichols of Sierraville, in June, 1880.


 Charles H. Davis { Charles Henry Davis } (pp. 273-274)
This gentleman was born November 22, 1852 at Greenport, Long Island. When he was two years of age his mother died, and he lived with his grandparents for three years, and six years with J. C. Cole of Duen, Connecticut. At the age of eleven he started for California, via the Horn, to join his father in San Francisco, who had come to the coast in 1855. Charles reached his destination in April, 1865. In the same year he began to learn the butcher’s trade, which he worked at two years. Since that time he has lived in many parts of the state. In the spring of 1879 he made his home in Randolph, Sierra county, where he owns a comfortable house, and is at present engaged in logging in the vicinity.


 Wilson Seaman Dean (p. 189)
The second county treasurer of Plumas county, was elected in the fall of 1854. He was one of the early emigrants, and settled in Plumas, then a part of Butte county, in May, 1851. He bought what now constitutes the Meadow Valley ranch, and opened a store at that place. In the fall of 1852 he encountered a rival in the firm of Clark, Wagner, & Co., who opened a store near by him. The trade was thus divided; and in the fall of 1854 Mr. Dean moved to Quincy, where he has since lived. In the fall of 1855 he visited his home in Illinois, leaving the treasury affairs in the hands of his deputy, Arron Bradbury. Bradbury at that time was surrounded by vicious associates, who led him into “ways that were dark,” the result being that when Dean returned he found a considerable shortage waiting him, which taxed him sorely to make good. However he left a square record as treasurer. Mr. Dean was deputy sheriff under I. C. Boring until 1880. He was one of the three commissioners to organize the county in 1854.


 W. N. DeHaven (Capt.) { William Neill DeHaven } (p. 184)
A Pennsylvanian by birth, upon his arrival in Plumas county, engaged at hotel-keeping at Onion valley. From there he went to Spanish Ranch, in the service of Isaac J. Harvey, having charge of the caravansary at that place. He was the unconditional-union candidate in 1861 for county clerk, against L. G. Traugh, republican, and John D. Goodwin, democratic, over both of whom he was victorious. He served until the spring of 1864, when he was succeeded by W. W. Kellogg. Captain De Haven was a warm personal friend of both the old clerks, Harbison and Goodwin, and made them his deputies, the latter appointment being distasteful to his radical supporters. After the close of his term, he clerked at Hosselkus & Harvey at Taylorville. He finally went to Chico, and became one of the proprietors of the Chico Enterprise. He served a term in the legislature from Butte county, and died a few years since at his home in Chico.


 E. P. Dolley { Edward Paton Dolley } (pp. 274-275)
He was born September 15, 1851, in Franklin county, Maine. In the spring of 1860 he came to California, via Panama. Upon his arrival he began mining in Plumas county, which he followed for three years. In 1863 he returned overland by stage to Indianapolis, and enlisted in company D, fifth Indiana cavalry. He was in active service all the time until his discharge in September, 1865. He was at the siege of Knoxville, Tennessee, and marched through Georgia with Sherman. In the spring of 1866 he again came to California, via Panama, and has made Sierra valley his home ever since, being engaged mostly in farming. In 1876 he bought the O. B. Dolley ranch of 320 acres, which he still owns. He was married February 9, 1875, to Miss E. M. Robbins of Kennebec county, Maine. Their child, Ole Clare, was born February 7, 1876.


 Walter Ede (p. 264)
This gentleman is one of the leading farmers and stock growers of Sierra valley. He was born in Sussex county, England, on the twenty-ninth day of July, 1835. He came to the United States in 1843, with his parents, and settled in Waukeshaw county, Wisconsin. On the third day of March, 1857, he embarked, via the Isthmus, for California. When he first landed in California he engaged in mining, and pursued this industry in different localities with more than average success; but he was not satisfied with the life of a miner, and in 1863 bought the ranch he now owns, and engaged in stock growing and dairying. Mr. Ede deals extensively in cattle. He has 1,300 acres of land, well watered by the stream known as Adams creek, which waters a considerable portion of Sierra valley. Mr. Ede was married December 31, 1870, to Miss Caroline A. Dean, daughter of Moses and Sarah Dean, who was born in Picaway county, Ohio, October 26, 1854. They now have four children; Cora May, born May 8, 1874; Leonard Greely, December 13, 1875; Charles Walter, January 17, 1878; and Irene, January 23, 1880. When Mr. Ede arrived in California he was penniless, and with a limited education, obtained in the common schools of Wisconsin; but he has been successful in business, and by tact and industry has surrounded himself with a good property and comfortable home. He handles about three hundred head of cattle annually, and the amount of business done is above $10,000 per annum.


Jump to Top of Page


J. A. Edman { John Augustus Edman } (pp. 254-255)
Among the pioneers of Plumas county, and one of its most persistent and enterprising miners, we may also mention J. A. Edman of Mumford’s hill, now the principal owner of the Daidem quartz-mine and placer mines adjoining. Mr. Edman is a native of Sweden, and came to California at an early day, arriving in San Francisco in March 1851. After some years spent in mining on the lower Yuba and in Tuolumne county, he went northward, in company with his friend and present partner A. E. Malmlund, and at first settled at Rush creek during 1853, where he mined for one year. Attracted by the fame of Eagle gulch, he went there during the summer of 1854, and for some time mined near Taylor’s gulch. We next find him at work on Spanish creek, where he was quite successful. In October, 1856, Mr. Edman started on a visit to Sweden, where he remained for nearly a year, studying chemistry, metallurgy, and mining, and visiting the principal mines of Sweden and Norway. The next year he made a voyage of exploration to Honduras, where he examined several of the gold and silver mines on the eastern slope of the mountains. Compelled by ill health and the unsettled state of political affairs to abandon his project of engaging in mining in Honduras, he returned to California, arriving here in April, 1858. The first ripple of the Fraser river excitement was then perceptible; and investing his last dollar in an outfit, Mr. Edman left on the first steamer for the promised land, with as rough a crowd as ever went out of San Francisco. For one year he tried his fortune on the lower Fraser, with moderate success; but preferring the climate of California, he returned again in 1859 to his former haunts, and for some years found profitable employment mining in Cornelison’s gulch. In 1864 he purchased the Mumford’s hill placer claims, and since then has resided at Mumford’s hill, chiefly engaged in the exploration and developments of the Daidem ledge, discovered by himself and Mr. Malmlund in February, 1865. With firm faith in his own judgment, with but little outside aid, and against the unfavorable opinions and comments of other miners, Mr. Edman has steadily, if slowly, developed his mine, until he now finds himself rewarded for his toil by the possession of one of the most valuable mining properties of the state. Since his return to California in 1859, Mr. Edman has been a close observer and student of geology and connected sciences, and has embodied some of his observations in an article for Raymond’s “Mineral Resources,” giving the geology of the south-western part of Plumas county, while he also contributed some papers to the Geological Survey of California. From the data in his possession, Mr. Edman intends to publish a more extensive work on the practical geology of the county. Feeling a deep interest in the advancement of popular education, Mr. Edman has served one term as superintendent of schools, and at present is a member of the board of education of his county.


 James E. Edwards { James Edwin Edwards } (p. 323)
He was born in the town of Eardington, near Bridge North, Shropshire, England, in the year 1832. He came to the United States in 1851, settling in New London, New York, where for a short time he clerked in a store and meat market. In October, 1854, Mr. Edwards came to California, and engaged in the manufacture of English mustard, near San Jose, and planted the first yellow Durham mustard in the state. He settled in Plumas county in 1855, having charge of the New England ranch for one season, and afterwards followed mining at Nelson creek and at Poplar bar, on the middle fork of Feather river, building a house, store, and butcher shop at the latter place. He afterwards purchased the ground upon which stands the Plumas House, and erected this commodious hotel, which has the reputation among travelers and tourists as being one of the very best hotels in the mountains. His estimable wife, who is ever to be found looking to the comfort of their guests, has in great measure made the house what it is. A view of the hotel may be found on another page.


 William Elwell (p. 245)
This gentleman is a son of Joseph M. and Susan Elwell, and was born in the city of Philadelphia January 28, 1821. When about 22 years of age he removed to Louisiana, and in May, 1850, to California; and has been engaged in mining ever since. For a number of years he was superintendent of the 76 mine, now the Plumas. He, in company with J. W. Hill, owns the Squirrel creek gravel-mines. He is one of about sixteen veterans of the Mexican war now residing in Plumas county. Mr. Elwell is a member of Hope Masonic Lodge No. 294, at Beckwourth; also a Royal Arch Mason, and a life member of the council at Marysville.


 Theodore F. Emmons { Theodore Frelinghuysen Emmons } (pp. 300-301)
Son of Jeremiah and Martha Emmons, was born at Chester, Morris county, New Jersey, in July, 1829, where he lived with his parents until March, 1853, when he started for California, via the Isthmus, landing in San Francisco, April, 1853. He soon began sluice-mining on Poorman’s creek, in company with others, and sometimes with his sluice-fork caught nuggets so large as not to be able to pass between its prongs. He mined two years, and then opened a store which he ran one year. In 1856 he went to Indian valley and bought the Hall ranch of 800 acres, which he sold in 1857. In 1867 he settled in Greenville, where he has since lived. In 1871 he was elected justice of the peace of Indian township, and in 1873 was elected county surveyor by the republicans. In 1875 he was again made a justice of the peace, to which he has been twice re-elected, and still holds the office.


 J. F. Evans { Jeremiah Franklin Evans } (p. 306)
Was born August 20, 1825, in Fayette county, Illinois, his parents being John and Nancy Evans. On the twelfth of April, 1850 he started for California; upon his arrival, settling in El Dorado county, at Placerville, where he remained four years. In 1854 he went to Placer county, and mined sixteen months, but went back to El Dorado and remained until June, 1861, when he came to Plumas county. In December, 1863, he returned to the east by steamer on a visit, and came back overland with his brother, J. B. Evans { James Byron Evans }, and his family, arriving in Plumas county in October, 1864. In the fall of 1866 he bought the Lee ranch, consisting of 160 acres, on which he has since resided. To this he has added 200 acres. Mr. Evans was never married. The brother who came to the coast with him died in the north arm of Indian valley in 1867.


 J. D. Fagg { Joseph D. Fagg } (p. 269)
He was born in 1826, in England, and when three years of age his parents emigrated to this country, settling at Mount Vernon, Ohio, where they both died within six weeks after their arrival. For the next four years, our subject was taken care of, as it suited them, by half a dozen different families, and then he became permanently connected with a family named Kinney, who raised him, and gave him a good common-school education. In 1852 he was married to Miss Eliza Grant of Franklin county, Ohio. While in Ohio, Mr. Fagg conducted a saw-milling business until 1859, when he came to California, via the Isthmus, and for the next six years was connected with a saw-mill near Forest City, Sierra county. He then returned to Ohio with his wife, and farmed near Columbus until 1869, when he came back to Sierra valley and engaged in merchandising for two years at Loyalton. Then he sold out, and traveled some time for his wife’s health. October 24, 1877, she died at Reno, Nevada. Since selling his store, his principal occupation has been money-loaning and brokerage, though he has done some mining.


 Jump to Top of Page


Donald Robertson Finlayson (p. 285)
He is the seventh son of John and Amelia Finlayson. His father was a native of Scotland; his mother of Nova Scotia, where Donald was born, in the town of Merigomish. When he was sixteen years of age, Donald began to work at milling, which occupation he followed for many years. In 1856 he crossed the Isthmus to California, arriving in San Francisco on the first of June, and went to the mines at Camptonville; thence he moved to Alder creek, Sacramento county. From here he went to Spanish Ranch, where he mined till 1865. In 1866 he purchased the place he now lives on. He was married February 26, 1872, to Mrs. Jane Richards of Plumas county. Her maiden name was Murrish. She was born January 19, 1831, and emigrated to the United States from Cornwall, England, settling with her married sisters at Mineral Point, Wisconsin. She was married to William Richards, an Englishman, August 19, 1848. They came to California in 1855, when Mr. Richards received injuries in the mines that caused his death after six years’ illness. To them were born six children: Martin, born in Wisconsin, June 22, 1849; Sarah Ann, born in Wisconsin, October 18, 1850; Francis V., October 14, 1856; Mary Evaline, December 23, 1858; William M., July 22, 1861; Clara Emma, January 10, 864. The last four children are natives of California. Mrs. Finlayson has born her present husband three children, two of whom are living: John E., born March 26, 1873; Donald R., born March 22, 1875; Nellie, born December 4, 1878, and died when fifteen months old. Mr. Finlayson is a member of Plumas Lodge No. 88, I. O. O. F., at Quincy. A view of his residence and its surroundings may be seen on another page.


 H. T. Firmstone { Henry T. Firmstone } (p. 306)
Was born at Plymouth, England, in the year 1831. At the age of seventeen he came to the copper mines on Lake Huron, where he worked for three years. In 1852 he came to California, via the Isthmus, landing in San Francisco on the first of August. Until 1854 he mined in Nevada, Yuba, and Sierra counties. On one occasion, while trudging on foot with a companion from Grass valley to Sweetland, in Nevada county, his friend gave out, and he packed him, with two mining outfits, four miles to their destination. In 1854 he came to Plumas, holding positions in companies at Round valley, Brownsville, and in Indian valley. At Brownsville he was superintendent of the Pennsylvania company for two years. In 1880 he engaged in the liquor business at Greenville, which he at the present time follows. In 1867 he was married to Miss Maria Hickerson of Indian valley. They have had three children: Henry, born February 28, 1868; John, July 10, 1870; Robert, September 10, 1876. He is a member of the Blue Lodge No. 132, F. & A. M., and of the Indian Valley Lodge No. 136, I. O. O. F.


 A. W. Fletcher { Albert W. Fletcher } (p. 308)
Son of Francis and Elizabeth Fletcher, was born at Richmond, Indiana, July 2, 1842. His father was engaged in the hardware business at the time of his birth. After attending the common schools, our subject passed five terms at Earlham college, Richmond. At the age of age of eighteen he commenced to learn the blacksmithing trade, and was so engaged three years. At the age of twenty-one he went to St. Louis, but soon returned to his home. In December, 1874, he came to California. He soon went to Nevada, and worked at his trade in various places, principally at Virginia City. In October, 1877, he came to Taylorville, where he conducted a blacksmith shop till October, 1881, when he sold out and bought the farm known as Farra ranch, in the north arm of Indian valley. In 1868 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Peele of Cambridge, Indiana, by whom he has had one son.


 Robert S. Flournoy { Robert Simpson Flournoy } (pp. 301-302)
Son of Roland and Margaret Flournoy, was born June 26, 1830, at Independence, Missouri. He received his education at private schools, there being very limited facilities for education at public schools. In 1849 he came to California, leaving home in the fall, and arriving at San Francisco April 8, 1850. He went to Bidwell’s bar, Butte county, and mined in that vicinity for three years. In December, 1853, he came to American valley, and began mining at Elizabethtown, two miles north-west of Quincy. He remained here, mining and carrying on a liquor business, for about four years. In the fall of 1858 he went to Indian valley, where he rented the Blood ranch, and worked it one season. He then bought the Cook ranch, now the Evans ranch, and lived on it four years, when he sold it in the fall of 1863, and bought the Madden, now the Drodge ranch. This he finally sold, and in the spring of 1865 removed into Taylorville, ran a pack-train for a while, and then bought the Mead ranch, in Genesee valley, where he now lives. He was married November 28, 1855, to Miss Angelina Varner, at Elizabethtown. They have had seven children as follows: Maggie, Fannie, John, Lucy, Harley, Timey, and William; Lucy, John and Fannie died in 1865, within a few days of each other.


 James Ford (p. 300)
Son of James and Polly (Wing) Ford, was born in Grafton, Grafton county, New Hampshire, October 18, 1817. When nineteen years old he joined a U. S. surveying party, and assisted in the survey of the southern part of the Black Hawk purchase, which embraced a large territory now in Iowa. In 1840 he accompanied his father to Randolph county, Illinois, where they were engaged in running steam and water saw-mills for several years. In April, 1852, he started for California, coming overland with his wife, and spent his first year mining on Spanish creek. In March, 1853, he located the ranch of 460 acres he now lives on, having to pay fabulous prices for the first seeds planted. At the time he settled in the north arm of Indian valley, there were only two other farms, those of A. G. Light and William Hussey, Mrs. Ford being the only white woman in the north arm for two years. James Ford was married March 3, 1852, to Mrs. Martha McCord of DeWitt county, Illinois, where she was born October 6, 1835. The children born to them are as follows: Maggie B., born February 1, 1856; Frances Rowena, April 12, 1857; Mary Alice, March 28, 1859; Harriett L., January 11, 1862; Jesse M., April 29, 1864; James Trumbull, April 20, 1866; Sheridan J., September 23, 1868; Sallie M., April 5, 1871; Martha Grace E., June 5, 1873; Annie E., June 17, 1875; Albertie W., December 6, 1878—all of whom are living.


 Nathaniel B. Forgay { Nathaniel Bailey Forgay } (p. 300)
Was born at Natchez, Mississippi, November 7, 1839. In the year 1854 he came overland with a team to California, settling at Spring Garden ranch, and mining for six months. From there he went to Indian valley, and worked on a farm until 1857, and then mined at Rich gulch until 1863. For a few months he freighted from Indian valley to Virginia City, Nevada. In 1864 he bought the farm now owned by William Foreman, and sold it in 1868, when he went to Big Meadows, purchased another ranch, sold it the following year, and went to Indian valley. He then bought the Maxwell place, near Greenville, on which he has since resided. With additions made, he now has 388 acres. He was married April 25, 1865, to Miss Lucretia Johnston, who was born in Pennsylvania, May 12, 1840, and came to Plumas county in 1864. Their children are Lizzie, born January 29, 1866; Paradine, March 14, 1867; James A., April 12, 1868; Arnold, June 12, 1870; Alma, September 26, 1872; Leota, October 28, 1878—all of whom are living in Indian valley. Mr. Forgay is a member of Indian Valley Lodge No. 136, I. O. O. F.


 Jump to Top of Page


William Forman (p. 311)
Son of Benjamin and Mary Forman, was born March 16, 1828, in Ralls county, Missouri, where his father was engaged in farming. William remained at home until twenty-one, and then moved to Shelby county, and bought a farm. April 20, 1863, he started for California, arriving at Taylorville September 5, 1863. He freighted one year, and then began farming, which he has followed ever since. In 1867 he purchased the Forgay ranch of Thomas Hughes, which contained 283 acres, on which he now resides. In 1869 he went back to Missouri on a business trip. He was married April 15, 1849, to Miss Cordelia Shelton, daughter of Griffith D. and Levina Shelton of Shelby county, Missouri.


 Matthias Fralich { should be Matthias Frohlich } (p. 304)
Is a native of France, and was born April 12, 1826. In 1848 he came to America, landing in New York. He resided in New Orleans and Chicago until 1852, when he came to California, via Panama. He remained a short time in San Francisco, and in the spring of 1853 came to Plumas county, in which he has since lived. Most of the time since he has been engaged in mining at different places. In May, 1877, he settled on the ranch of 80 acres he now owns, which is situated in the suburbs of Crescent. There is a fine orchard on the property. May 15, 1861, he was married to Mary Durner of Marysville, who was born in Germany, August 31, 1839. The children of Mr. And Mrs. Fralich are George, born December 27, 1862; Minnie, May 2, 1864; Mary, April 10, 1868; Lena, May 12, 1869; Amy, February 8, 1872; Joseph, May 29, 1876, died November 2, 1876; August, August 29, 1879.


 Joel E. Freeman { Joel Edward Freeman } (pp. 271-272)
This gentleman is a native of Jefferson county, Tennessee, where he was born January 9, 1836. In 1855 he went to Iowa, and engaged in farming until the spring of 1859, then starting overland to California, arriving in the fall, and settling in Sierra valley in the spring of 1860 on a farm of 640 acres, eight miles north of Sierraville. May 1, 1859 he was married to Miss Virginia Cooksey of Franklin county, Indiana, by whom he has had six children, as follows: Willis, born January 22, 1860; William, July 19, 1862; John, October 13, 1863; Sarah, March 17, 1865; Thomas E., January 21, 1870; Charles H., July 23, 1877. The eldest son, Willis was married November 29, 1881, to Miss Mary McElvoy of Sierra valley.


 John B. Fritsch { John Baptiste Fritsch } (pp. 304-305)
Son of Antone and Elizabeth Fritsch, is a native of Alsace, Germany, and was born February 26, 1829. At the age of eighteen he came to America, stopping for brief periods at New York, New Orleans, and St. Louis, spending two years and a half at the last place. Six months after, he came overland to California, and commenced mining on Feather river and Nelson creek. In the winter of 1856 he removed to Indian valley, and in the fall of 1857 purchased a portion of the Desch brothers’ farm, 200 acres on the west side of Indian creek, where he has since resided. In 1862 he added 160 acres. In the spring of 1858 he built a log cabin on the farm, which still stands on the site of the town of Crescent. At that time there was not a house within a mile of him. On the fifteenth of May, 1877, he sold the farm to his brother Martin, but still lives there with him.


 Martin Fritsch (p. 307)
Son of Antone and Elizabeth Fritsch, was born May 10, 1838, at Alsace, France, now in Germany. He came to this country at the age of seventeen, and lived four years at Woodstock, Illinois. He served eighteen months in the war in company A, Fifteenth Illinois regiment, and was honorably discharged at Legrange, Tennessee, on account of sickness. While in service he was at the battle of Pittsburg Landing. Upon recovering from his illness he came to California, via Panama. He worked a year as blacksmith at the Crescent mine, and two years at the Indian valley mine. Afterwards he was employed by the Kettle Mining Company, and the Bullfrog Company. He took a trip east in 1866, returned in 1867, and settled with his brother, J. B. Fritsch, on the farm they now occupy. February 28, 1867, he was married to Miss Christina Hafner of Eteka, New York, by whom he has had one daughter, Lizzie, born July 13, 1871. He is a member of Taylorville Lodge No. 132, F. & A. M.


 E. J. Gallagher { Edward J. Gallagher } (p. 275)
He is a native of Texas, where he was born September 25, 1850. In 1860 he went on the high seas with his uncle, and followed a sea-faring life for about eleven years. He then freighted on the plains, and carried mail for the government for four years. In 1870 he came to California, and followed various occupations until 1876, when he began farming in Sierra valley, and has principally confined his attention to it since. He was married September 23, 1878, to Miss Mary Hay, who was born in Redfield, Iowa, August 8, 1855. Their children are Myrtie Irvin, born November 6, 1879; Fredrika, born August 16, 1881.


 Jump to Top of Page


Florin Gansner { should be Florian Gansner } (pp. 285-286)
The proprietor of the large saw-mill at Quincy was born in the town of Seeves, Switzerland, May 28, 1829. His parents were Christian and Anna Gansner. In 1846 he came to the United States, and located at St. Louis, Missouri, where he learned the carpenter’s trade, and worked at it until 1852. At that time he crossed the plains to California, and mined on Yuba river. He came to Rich bar, Plumas county, in the spring of 1853. Having done well at mining, he went back to St. Louis in 1857, and was married June 22, 1858, to Christina Pohle of that city. In 1864 he returned to Plumas county, and contracted and built ferry landings for a time, when he again went to mining on Rich bar. In 1868 he removed to American valley, and purchased his present home and the old mill. The new mill he built in 1878. It is run by a hydraulic pressure of 144 feet fall, and has two circular saws, sixty and fifty inches in diameter. A view of the buildings appear on another page. Mr. And Mrs. Gansner have had seven children, as follows; Benjamin C., born December 28, 1859; Henry F., July 13, 1863; William C., November 25, 1866; Flora C., May 27, 1868; Frederick G., July 7, 1873; Anna L., March 2, 1875; Christina, May 21, 1877.


 Hiram L. Gear (p. 182)
Is a native of Ohio, where he commenced life as a printer boy. He taught school for a while, after which he studied law and was admitted to practice in the state courts of Ohio. Mr. Gear came to this state in 1863, and settled down in Downieville, where he married the daughter of Judge Peter Van Clief. In the fall of 1865 he came to Plumas county. Two years after, he was elected district attorney, and served one term. He left the county in the spring of 1870, and returned to Ohio, where he abandoned the practice of law; and being of an ecclesiastical turn, was assigned a pulpit in the Baptist church, and still remains in the ministry.


 J. C. Gentry { James Christy Gentry } (pp. 189-190)
Son of Rhodes and Allie (Moore) Gentry, was born May 23, 1829, in Madison county, Kentucky. His parents removed to Missouri when he was three years of age. Both his parents died before he had reached the age of fourteen, but he remained there until eighteen, and then went to the mining regions of Wisconsin. In March, 1850 he came overland to California, arriving at Coloma, July 18, 1850, where he mined six months. He afterwards spent several months in Calaveras and Butte counties, and in 1851 was engaged in butchering at Natchez, in the latter county. In six months he sold out and mined for some time. Then he went into the stock business, and alternated between mining and stock-raising for two years or more. In March, 1854, Mr. Gentry came to Plumas county and opened a meat market on Hopkins creek. Shortly after, with a Mr. Blanks, he started a hotel, which they ran for three years, and then Gentry bought out his partner, and continued alone one year. In 1858 he mined between Hopkins and Poorman’s creeks. On the sixteenth of February a snow-slide carried the log cabin, occupied by himself and family and three men, half a mile down the canon, crushing and instantly killing William Gentry, his infant son, and injuring one of his partners, John Wilson, so badly that he died. All of them were more or less hurt, and were nearly suffocated before they could extricate themselves. It was a night of horror, and Mr. Gentry’s trip to Hopkins for aid in his night-clothes makes a thrilling narrative of suffering. In 1858 he went into the dairy business, and a year after began farming, which he followed three years, and then sold out and mined for five years. In 1867 he was elected county treasurer on the republican ticket, and after his retirement from office bought a ranch in American valley, on which he lived six years, and then bought part of the Job Taylor ranch, near Taylorville, where he now resides. He was married July 4, 1854, to Miss S. Turner, by whom he has had six children, four of whom are living.


 John Daniel Goodwin (Judge) (pp. 177-178)
Was born in Camden, South Carolina, November 6, 1829. His father, John Goodwin, was born in same district in 1800, and his grandfather, Daniel Goodwin, was born in same state in 1770. His mother was also a native of same district, born in 1802, daughter of Captain William Nettles, also a native of South Carolina, born in 1743, who served in the continental army in that state through the Revolutionary War, with some local distinction. The father of the subject of our sketch married Miss Nettles in 1823, and to them were born four sons, William N., Benjamin T., John D., and Samuel McL. He died November 12, 1833, leaving the widow and three sons, William, John, and Samuel, with little or no means of support. His father, being a farmer in good circumstances in Alabama, removed the widow and children to his home in Pickens county, and provided for their wants. The widow married in 1837, and the boys were left in the care of their grandfather. They were made to work on the plantation, getting such schooling as the country school would afford during the time their labor could be spared from the farm. John D. early exhibiting a taste for books, he was indulged in a little extra time at school, and for which indulgence he has ever been grateful. John, at the age of fourteen, became his own man. He clerked in a dry-goods store the first year, and made sufficient money to support himself at school a year. From then he alternated between teaching a small school and being taught at one, until he was prepared to enter the state university in January, 1850. Not having the means to support him through the university course, he left for California, with the expectation of making a fortune in the mines, and in a short time return and complete his education. He went by way of the Isthmus of Panama, and reached San Francisco June 6, 1850. He went direct to the mines on the American river. He had been prompted to turn Californianward by the fact that his elder brother William had left Alabama for this state in the spring of 1849. No tidings of him had been received after leaving St. Louis to cross the plains, but it was supposed he would be found in the mines. After searching for some time, he found that William died with the cholera on the Platte the summer before. He remained near Auburn for a year, and by the dint of hard work and rough fare managed to make a living. In 1851 he went to Nevada county, and engaged in ditching and mining for another year, with the same success. In 1852, he removed to Brown’s valley, Yuba county, and engaged in quartz-mining, with like results. In 1853 he acquired an interest in a water ditch from Dry creek to the banks of main Yuba river, and supplied water to miners. He also engaged in merchandising at same place, and there remained until July, 1855. His hopes of a university education had then been abandoned. The cherished associations of his boyhood home had all, except one, faded into a pleasant dream; that one was the girl whom he had left behind. Miss Martha J. Cravens, the daughter of Dr. J. P. Cravens, was born in Moringo county, Alabama, November 30, 1831. Her family removed to Pickens county, in 1847, where these young people first met. When he left for California Miss Cravens was still a school-girl. She graduated with honors in a seminary at Aberdeen, Mississippi, in 1852, and returned to Alabama. They had kept up a correspondence with each other, which, in 1854, resulted in their engagement to marry. On the first of July, 1855, the subject of our sketch left for Alabama. He reached home on the first day of August. They were married on the twenty-second of that month; and on the fourteenth of November, following, bade a final adieu to their old, and started for their new home. They reached Brown’s valley in December, and lived there until the following summer. On the first of August, 1856, they removed to Plumas county, and settled at Spanish Ranch. He then became a member of the firm of Harvey, Story, & Co., in the mercantile business. That fall he was elected justice of the peace for Mineral township, and served as associate justice of the court of sessions until the first of January, 1858. The business in which he was engaged made a bad failure in fall of 1857. In 1858 he became a candidate for county clerk on the democratic ticket, and was beaten in the election by John Harbison. He was again a candidate in 1859, and was then elected over Harbison. He moved to Quincy in September, and took charge of the office on the first Monday of October following. He had before this given some study to the law, and now turned his attention to the subject in earnest. He was a candidate for re-election, but was beaten by Captain W. N. DeHaven, who appointed Mr. Goodwin his deputy, and he was thus enabled to pursue the study of law uninterruptedly for another two years. He was admitted to practice in the district court April 24, 1863, and that fall he entered upon the practice of his profession in partnership with Hon. Creed Haymond. In 1865 the democratic party nominated him for the assembly from the counties of Plumas and Lassen. The two counties were largely republican, and the pronounced secession views of Judge Goodwin seemed to render his election hopeless. He was, however, elected, and served in the legislature 1865-66. He was defeated for the same position in 1867. From that time until June, 1876, he was engaged in the practice of his profession at Quincy. The legislature of 1875-76, having organized the 21st judicial district out of the counties of Plumas, Lassen, and Modoc, Governor Irwin appointed Judge Goodwin to the bench in such district. He was defeated for the position at the election in the fall of 1877 by Judge Clough, and after the expiration of his term, January 1, 1878, returned to the practice, and has since devoted himself to his profession. To Judge and Mrs. Goodwin have been born six children, five daughters and one son; Mattie L., Ella, Cora, William Nettles, Kittie, and Grace, all in Plumas county. Ella died at the age of nine months, and Cora at the age of nineteen years, three months, and five days. Few men in Plumas county enjoy as full a measure of the confidence and esteem of her citizens as does Mr. Goodwin.


 Will D. R. Graham { William D. R. Graham } (p. 311)
Son of W. D. R. and Rhoda A. Graham, was born in Covington, Kentucky, August 20, 1856. His father died when he was but one year of age. Soon after his father’s death his mother came to California, via Panama, and settled in Marysville. In September, 1862, his mother was again married to J. W. Thompson, and a year after they removed to the Illinois ranch, in American valley. Will lived at home for fifteen years. In 1876 he attended the Heald’s business college at San Francisco. In 1878 he was a candidate on the democratic ticket for county recorder, but was defeated through a division in his party, by only seven votes. Since then he has been employed as general manager and accountant of J. W. Thompson’s milling interests in Taylorville. He was married December 1, 1880, to Miss Eva Richards, daughter of William M. and Jane R. Richards.


 Jump to Top of Page


Rotheus A. Gray { Rotheus Augustus Gray } (p. 323)
Was born in Boston, Massachusetts, August 5, 1851. His father, Captain R. D. Gray, was one of the principal seafaring men of New England, and a descendent from old Puritan stock—Edward Gray of the Mayflower being his ancestral progenitor. Captain Gray married a Miss Maria Nolan, daughter of Captain Nolan, British army, and a native of Dublin, Ireland. The result of this marriage was one son, the subject of this sketch. R. A. Gray entered Yarmouth Academy, Maine, to fit for college, in 1860, and left the institution four years after. He came to California in 1864, and entered Santa Clara College the twenty third of October of the same year. He remained in the institution the regular four years required for a classical course, and having completed his bachelor studies, began his medical course in 1868. He returned to the east in 1869, and finished his medical education, graduating in 1872, taking the degree of M. D. The degree of A. B. was received by him in 1874, and of A. M. in 1877. The doctor served one year in the U. S. naval and civil marine service as assistant surgeon, being stationed at Portland, Maine. He moved to California in 1874, and is now surgeon in charge of all the important mines near Greenville. He was married in 1872 to Miss May Seabury, by whom he has two children: Asa White, born November 23, 1873; and William Henry Moulton, born December 8, 1874.


 Henry Grazer (p. 245)
He is a native of Germany, and immigrated to the United States in 1852. He settled at Cincinnati, Ohio and removed from there to the Pacific coast in 1870, locating on Crystal creek, then in the state of Nevada. In September, 1876, he removed to Johnsville, and in company with his brother, A. Grazer, engaged in the brewing business. The latter disposed of his interest, and the firm is now Grazer and Lavano.


 Thomas L. Haggard { Thomas Litrel Haggard } (p. 190)
Is a native of Roane county, Tennessee. He was born September 30, 1831, and came to California in 1852, at the age of twenty-one, crossing the plains. Mr. Haggard settled in the Plumas portion of Butte county, and engaged in mining on Spanish creek, above Spanish Ranch. The winter of 1852-53 was spent at Bidwell’s bar, which was then the most important place in Butte county. In the spring of 1853 he returned to the Plumas portion, and settled at Rich bar, where he mined for many years, and lived until the summer of 1871. He then settled at Spanish Ranch, and remained until the summer of 1876. He kept the Buckeye House from that time till 1879, when he sold out and removed to Quincy, having been elected county treasurer. Mr. Haggard makes an efficient county officer, and is esteemed by a large circle of friends.


 G. P. Haines { George Parker Haines } (p. 271)
Mr. Haines was born in Kennebec county, Maine, January 16, 1835. His father was engaged in farming and lumbering, and young Haines lived with him until 1855, when he came to California, via the Isthmus, arriving at the Golden Gate March 4. In the fall he began mining on the Yuba river, and continued at this occupation for three years. In 1858 he began farming and stock-raising in Sutter county, which he followed until 1864, when he came to Sierra valley, and made it his home until 1869. He then returned to his home in Maine, and stayed there three years, but came back to Sierra valley, and in 1873 purchased of Woodin & Brown their farm of 320 acres, on which he has since lived. He was married December 5, 1869, to Sabrina Williams of Benton, Maine. Mr. Haines is a member of Sierra Valley Lodge No. 184, F. & A. M.


 Julia Haley (p. 254)
Buck’s Ranch and Valley - Mrs. Julia Haley filed a declaration of intention to become a citizen of the United States February 18, 1876, doing so for the purpose of placing herself in a position to acquire title to government land, such a step being necessary to all persons of foreign birth. Of course no further steps were taken in the way of naturalization. She is a most excellent and kind-hearted old lady, and scores can testify to her many acts of charity and general kindness towards the weary travelers on the road, coming in, as they often do, blinded and with weary and frozen limbs from their struggles in the snow. She presides over the household affairs, and the celebrity of her table for good things to eat has gone far and wide. Another familiar face is that of Thomas, the Indian, who has been with them since 1857.

*Julia was a native of Ireland, born 1825-1832. She first worked at Bucks Ranch as a domestic servant. She purchased the ranch in partnership with William Wagner, a clerk at the ranch (later a county supervisor), in 1863. Though she often was listed as "Mrs.", census records indicate consistently that she was a single woman. It may be that she was widowed or divorced and, if either was the case, her maiden name is unknown.
~ Elizabeth E. Bullard


 Alanson A. Hallsted { Alanson Allison Hallsted } (p. 253)
Son of Joseph and Betsy Hallsted. This gentleman was born in Ohio, March 8, 1836. In 1855 he journeyed to California, via the Isthmus. He mined at 12-mile bar, Rich gulch, and Kingsbury’s ferry until the spring of 1875, when he moved to Meadow valley and erected the residence and saloon he now owns. He was married February 14, 1865, to Miss Mary Damm, by whom he has had five children; Henry E., born January 14, 1866; Fannie, August 7, 1869; May Elizabeth, November 9, 1872; Louisa J., May 3, 1874; Asa D., March 13, 1877. He is a member of the United Workmen lodge at Quincy.


 Peter Lane Hallsted (p. 188)
Was born at Fayetteville, Brown county, Ohio, April 27, 1834. He was the son of A. A. and Jane B. Hallsted. He came to California, via Nicaragua, in 1854, and first engaged in mining at Stringtown in Butte county. In March, 1855, he came to Plumas county, and mined at 12-mile bar. He followed mining for a number of years. In 1864 he was employed by T. C. Kaulback as clerk and book-keeper. In 1874 he was elected county assessor, and served four years. In the fall of 1879 he was elected to the office of sheriff of Plumas county, which position he now holds. He was married in November, 1865, to Elizabeth Bishop of Cincinnati. Mr. Hallsted is a member of Plumas Lodge No. 88, I. O. O. F., and the Quincy Lodge No. 129, A.O.U.W.


 Jump to Top of Page


E. H. Hamlen { Edmund Higgins Hamlen } (p. 275)
This gentleman was born in Kennebec county, Maine, January 16, 1836. On the thirty-first day of December, 1856 he started for California, coming via the Isthmus, and arriving at San Francisco January 29, 1857. He was engaged in mining and lumbering for two years, in Alleghany, Sierra county. In June 1859, he came to Sierra valley and purchased the Higgins farm of 540 acres, on which he lived most of the time until 1875, when he went to Roop county, Nevada, and with three others purchased a large stock range and the Buffalo Pass toll road. They have since dealt heavily in cattle. Mr. Hamlen moved over there, and remained until August, 1881, when he returned to his farm in Sierra valley. He was united in marriage October 9, 1865, to Mrs. Hattie E. Heselton of Stratham, New Hampshire, by whom he has had three children: Edmund H., born November 11, 1866; Calvin M., born December 10, 1868; and Rose E., born July 30, 1871. Mr. Hamlen is a member of Sierraville Lodge No. 184, F. & A. M.


 John Harbison (pp. 183-184)
Is a native of Missouri, emigrated to this state in 1849, and settled on the east branch at Smith’s bar in the year 1850. For six months he kept books for the first merchants on the bar, and then engaged in mining. When the first convention was held after the organization of the county in 1854, having been a county clerk in Missouri, his friends on the river, ignoring politics, instructed their delegates for him, and he secured the nomination for that office. He had no opponent in the election, and immediately removed to the American valley to assume the duties of his office, embracing those of clerk, recorder, and auditor. His office was temporarily established in the old court-room built by H. J. Bradley, but was subsequently removed to the upper story of the Bullard building, corner of Harbison avenue and Main street. During his term he made periodical visits to his old camp on the east branch to take the declarations of would-be citizens, receiving as his fee an ounce of gold-dust for each candidate. In the fall of 1854 he was re-elected over James Lewis of Nelson creek. His first deputy was R. I. Barnett, and his second, George E. Bricket, a very accomplished officer. Harbison held the office until March, 1860, when he turned it over to his successor, J. D. Goodwin, who beat him at the election in 1859. Harbison served as deputy in this office under W. N. DeHaven, and returned to Missouri in 1863, where he now resides.


 John Hardgrave (p. 302)
Son of William and Sarah Hardgrave, was born April 30, 1816, at Port Hope, Canada. When twenty-one years of age he left home and journeyed to Michigan. Here he dealt in general merchandise until 1852, when he came overland to this state, arriving at Marysville in October. He farmed in the vicinity until 1864, when he went to Taylorville and bought the Vernon House of a Mr. Springer, which hotel he still owns. He was married April 11, 1841, to Miss Diana Jiles, daughter of Abraham and Nancy Jiles, who was born at Phelps, Wayne county, New York, February 4, 1823. Four children were born to them: Anna, born August 18, 1842; Cornelia, March 11, 1843; William, August 24, 1846; Sarah, December 4, 1849. Anna died November 12, 1843, in Jackson county, Michigan. The rest are still living with their parents in Taylorville.


 M. Hardin { Merrill Hardin } (p. 270)
He is a native of Bergen, New Jersey, where he was born in August, 1819. In the following year his parents removed to Guernsey county, Ohio, where he remained until 1851, when he came to California, via the Isthmus, arriving in San Francisco in November. He mined at Auburn, Placer county, until the spring of 1852, and then spent a year searching for auriferous deposits on the Feather river. He then began mining around Iowa hill, and continued there four years, when he went on the Yuba, and mined for one year. In 1857 he came to Sierra valley, and has since lived on his ranch of 240 acres, a mile and a half north of Sierraville.


 John F. Hartwell { John Francis Hartwell } (p. 283)
He was born at Strong, Franklin county, Maine, May 19, 1820. He was the son of Ephraim and Mary Hartwell, who died when our subject was quite young. He grew to manhood in his native state, and emigrated in 1856 to California, in company with Mr. Brett and wife, and the latter’s sister. He was married August 9, 1857, to Elizabeth H. Norton of North Livermore, Maine, daughter of Zebulon and Mary Norton, who still survives him. A family of four is the result of their union: Louis B., was born August 23, 1858; William H., March 4, 1863; Nellie M., July 27, 1871; J. Frank, August 21, 1875. Mr. Hartwell died in June, 1880, mourned by many friends. The ranch consists of 250 acres of meadow and timber land. For many years he had been interested in lumbering and milling. The saw-mill in American valley cuts about half a million feet annually, and is conducted by his sons. The mill has an overshot wheel supplied by a flume, and was erected by Judkins and Cate. A view of the Hartwell property may be seen on another page of this works.


 Duskin Hedrick (p. 310)
Was born in Des Moines county, Iowa, January 12, 1840. Duskin remained in Iowa engaged in farming, after reaching the age of discretion, until twenty-four years of age, when he came to California in 1864, arriving in Honey Lake valley, Lassen county, September 27. For the next four years he was engaged in quartz-mining at Crescent and in Genesee valley, after which he bought eighty acres of land near Crescent, and has lived on it since. He added forty acres to his farm in 1880. He was married December 31, 1862, at Keokuk, Iowa, to Miss Louisa Johnson. Their children are Winona, born November 14, 1863; Cora, May 13, 1866; Elfreda, September 15, 1867; Orlanda, January 18, 1870; Florence, July 19, 1871; Mabel, December 6, 1873; Gertrude, August 21, 1876; Arthur, July 27, 1878. Mr. Hedrick is a member of Indian Valley Lodge No. 136, I. O. O. F.


 Jump to Top of Page


Charles W. Hendel { Charles William Hendel } (pp. 190-191)
Was born in Saxony, July 21, 1831. He was educated at Dresden, and graduated from the Zchocko Technic Institute in 1850. Two years later he came to the United States, living in New Jersey and Connecticut until the spring of 1853, when he came to California. After mining for a time on the American river, he went to St. Louis, Sierra county, and engaged in mining till 1860, when he was elected county surveyor of Sierra county, which office he held two terms. Since that time he has been engaged in his profession as a surveyor, though largely interested in a number of mining enterprises. In 1871 he was appointed deputy U. S. surveyor, a position he still retains. He moved to La Porte, Plumas county, the same year, and in 1879 was elected county surveyor of that county, which office he now holds, residing in La Porte. Among other mining ventures, he was interested with two others in the Sears Ravine flume, which cost them over $80,000, and from which they realized nothing, though it has since proved to be good property. He now owns a three-fourths interest in the Alturas tailing mine on Slate creek, five miles long; also seven-eighths of the claims on Port Wine ridge, known as the Lucky Hill Consolidated Drift Mine, containing 800 acres, in which a 2,000-foot tunnel is being run to tap the channel. He has done much to advance the mining interests of both Plumas and Sierra counties. One evening in 1856, just after the fire in St. Louis, he had a miraculous escape from death at the bottom of a shaft fifty-four feet deep, down which he plunged headlong. His injuries confined him to his bed but two weeks.


 George H. Herring { George Henry Herring } (pp. 309-310)
Son of Bryant and Piercy Herring, was born in Hayward county, Tennessee, June 13, 1834. When nine years of age his parents moved to Yell county, Arkansas, and engaged in farming. In the spring of 1859 George came across the plains with an ox-team, arriving in Plumas county in September. He became interested in a mining claim on Rich gulch, and worked it until the next summer. He worked on a farm in Indian valley for six months, spent six months in Colusa county, and some time after bought eighty acres of land near Crescent, which he lived on four years, and sold to D. S. Hedrick. He returned to Arkansas in 1868, but came back in 1870, and a year after purchased the Hussey ranch of 200 acres in the north arm of Indian valley, on which he has since lived. He was married January 8, 1873, to Miss Sylvia Johnson of Davis county, Iowa. Their children are Stella, born November 20, 1873; Ada, February 12, 1875; Charles, March 31, 1877; Marcus, December 12, 1878; Earl, April 12, 1881—all of whom are living.


 Thomas F. Hersey { Thomas Franklin Hersey } (p. 284)
This gentleman was born in Boston, Massachusetts, May 29, 1821. He followed the sea from the time he was fifteen years of age until he came to this state, leaving home about the first of December, 1854, and arriving at San Francisco on the seventeenth of April, 1855, as first officer of the clipper ship Flying Arrow. He came to Plumas county in May, 1855, and made his home there until his death—for many years being engaged in mining. He was appointed justice of the peace for Plumas township in 1867, and in 1873 ran for county judge, being beaten by a small majority. He was appointed postmaster at Quincy in 1873, and filled that position at the time of his decease, which occurred October 13, 1878. He was an honored member of the Masonic fraternity, and was buried by the lodge at Quincy, with all the beautiful rites and ceremonies used by that organization. The procession which followed his remains to the grave was one of the longest ever seen in the place.


 Charles M. Hill (M.D.) (p. 245)
The doctor is a son of Hon. E. Y. Hill of Georgia, and was born at La Grange, in that state, on the first day of November, 1847. He received his literary education at Washington College, Lexington, Virginia; and his medical education in Louisville, Kentucky, and at Atlanta, Georgia. He removed to California in February, 1877, and located, in April of that year, at Etna Mills, Siskiyou county. After a short time spent there, he was called east on business, and sold his practice. On his return to California, he located at Plumas Eureka mines, as physician and surgeon to the same. He was married on the fifth of February, 1876, to Miss M. J. Hill, daughter of Dr. John S. Hill, who was a brother of Senator Benjamin H. Hill of Georgia.


 John W. Hill (pp. 244-245)
He was born in Monroe county, Missouri, January 24, 1834, and is a son of Wesley and Elizabeth Hill, who were natives of Bourbon, Kentucky. He crossed the plains with his father in 1849, remained in the mines until October, 1851, when he returned to the states, and came to California again in 1852. His father died en route across the plains. He settled in Napa county, and followed farming and stock-growing until 1857. Then he removed to Arizona, and raised stock until 1860, when the Indian troubles drove him out. He next moved to Texas. Here he joined the command of General Sibley, and served in the Confederate army until parolled in 1864. He then went to Montana, and engaged in mining until the fall of 1867, when he returned to California, and has since, in company with William Elwell, operated the Squirrel Creek mine. He was married December 25, 1877, to Miss Emma F. O’Neil. There is one child, Emma F., born September 27, 1878.


 Edmund Thomas Hogan (Judge) (p. 179)
This gentleman, for many years county judge of Plumas county, was born in the state of New York, while his parents, who were residents of the state of Virginia, were temporarily residing there. He was educated for the bar at Mansfield, Ohio, where he read law with some of the best legal talent of the state. He came to California in 1852, and to Plumas county in 1854, settling in Elizabethtown, where he hung out his lawyer’s shingle. He often refers good-naturedly to the first employment he received in Plumas county, which was to drive a band of hogs for John W. Thompson. He ran for district attorney in 1856, and was beaten by the know-nothing nominee Robert L. Barnett, by only three majority. He was elected county judge in 1857 on the democratic ticket, over P. O. Hundley and L. G. Traugh. In 1861 he was re-elected, defeating A. F. Blood, the republican nominee. Again he was elected in 1865, over L. C. Charles; but in 1869 he failed to get the nomination. He was again successful at the election of 1873, defeating Thomas F. Hersey for the judgeship. Judge Hogan was defeated by G. G. Clough for superior judge in 1879. He still resides in Quincy. Judge Hogan is a great story-teller, and has a wonderful memory, being able to recite the political history of the county from Alpha to Omega, without fear of contradiction. He is a very strong partisan; and his political affiliations with the democratic party are inseparable.


 Jump to Top of Page


Edwin Douglas Hosselkus (p. 302)
Son of Nicholas and Lucretia Hosselkus, was born October 19, 1828 at the town of Amboy, Oswego county, New York. When he was eight years of age his parents removed to Peoria, Illinois, where they lived two years, afterwards residing a year at Meredosia, and many years in Fulton county. At these places Edwin received a good common-school education, and from 1848 to 1852 he was engaged as clerk in a general merchandise store in Farmington, Illinois. In April, 1852, he came across the plains, and arrived in Marysville the first of November. Here he was engaged in various pursuits. In August, 1854, he opened a store at Elizabethtown, and remained about four years; when, in 1858 he removed the establishment to Taylorville, and continued in business at this point until 1865. In 1862 he had bought a ranch in Genesee valley from Boyd and Clark, and when he sold his store in 1865, he moved thereon. In 1875 he was elected a member of the board of supervisors, served three years, and was re-elected in 1878. September 26, 1859, he was married to Miss Mary Tate of Taylorville. Their children are Frank, born September 21, 1860; Elmira, August 19, 1862; Mary L., August 20, 1867; John, June 13, 1870. Mr. Hosselkus’ ranch in Genesee valley contains 1,000 acres, and has a fine brick residence and many out-buildings. The Genesee post-office is here. He also owns a fine dairy ranch in Squaw Queen valley, which contains 520 acres of excellent grazing land.


 Corel Howk (pp. 266-267)
Mr. Howk was the first of five children, three sons and two daughters of Alanson Howk, and was born at Wellington, Lorain county, Ohio, April 6, 1829. Alanson Howk was of Holland descent, and was born September 15, 1800, in New York. He was one of a party of five men the first to settle in Lorain county, Ohio, being then nineteen years of age. In 1828 he was married to Theodocia Clifford of Rhode Island. Alanson Howk died April 6, 1851, and his wife March 31, 1880. Corel Howk worked on the farm until March, 1852, when he came overland to California. He conducted the Iowa hotel at Placerville until June, 1853, when he sold out and came with his family to Sierra valley, Sierra county, and located on the Beatty & Stewart ranch. Shortly after he sold this and located the Sulphur springs in Sierra valley. Here he built a house and lived until 1861, when he sold out and went into stock-raising, changing his residence to Beckwourth. In 1864 he went east, intending to remain, but came back the following year. Upon his return he bought a ranch from Dr. Webber, and raised stock until 1872, when he again sold out, and has since been dealing in horses. In 1876 he purchased a comfortable home in Loyalton, where the family has since resided. He was married January 1, 1848, to Miss Ordelle Caroline Freeman, who was born in Cayuga county, New York, April 13, 1831, and was the daughter of Simeon and Olive (Jackson) Freeman. They have two children, Electa Jeannette, born November 29, 1864, and Simeon Jonathan, born February 1, 1868. Mrs. Howk is a woman of high literary tastes, and years ago contributed many valuable articles and sketches for the newspapers and periodicals of the coast. Some of her best efforts were published in Hutching’s California Magazine, and the Golden Era. Her various nom de plumes were, Alice, Dolly Dodson, and Chatterbox, under which she is quite widely known. Their accomplished daughter possesses rare musical talent, and is also a frequent contributor to various publications.


 B. B. Hughes { Brainard B. Hughes } (p. 286)
This gentleman is a native of Plumas county, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Pary) Hughes, and was born on the east branch of the north fork of Feather river, November 18, 1857. He was reared and educated in this state. He was married November 29, 1877, to Nettie M. Andrus, daughter of William H. and Annie O. Andrus, a native of Minnesota. On the eighth of December, 1877, Mr. Hughes purchased of J. R. Wyatt his drug-store at Quincy, which he has since owned and operated himself. He also does the principal exchange business of the town.


 Marshall Hughes (p. 272)
He was born November 22, 1858, in Whitley county, Indiana. In 1874 he left home and traveled for two years through the western states, and then came to California, settling in Sierra valley, where he bought a half-interest in the Carroll farm of 480 acres, twelve miles north of Sierraville, on which he has since resided. He was married February 22, 1880, to Miss Mary A. Carroll of Sierra valley, who was born at Forest City, California, September 29, 1862. Their son, Marshall, Jr., was born December 5, 1881.


 Thomas Hughes (pp. 252-253)
Mr. Hughes is the son of Richard and Mary (Jones) Hughes, and was born in Wales, May 13, 1830. In his boyhood he followed gardening, and the age of seventeen emigrated to the United States and settled at East Dennis, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod. There he lived until 1854, when he came to San Francisco, and engaged in gardening in what is now the heart of the city. In 1855 he was mining on Rush creek. In 1857 he mined at Soda bar, on the east branch, and also opened a store and public house, which he kept until 1868. In the autumn of 1869 he purchased from M. D. Smith the Meadow valley hotel and ranch of 320 acres on which he now resides. Mr. Hughes is now in the dairying business, has thirty cows, and makes 3,000 pounds of butter annually. He is the postmaster at Meadow valley. Mr. Hughes was married April 24, 1854, to Elizabeth Pary, by whom he had two children; viz., Brainard B., born November 18, 1857; Mary L., born August 18, 1859 at Soda bar, now the wife of E. E. Philips of Meadow valley, and mother of one child, Verbenia, born March 6, 1881. Mr. Hughes is a member of Quincy Lodge No. 88, I. O. O. F. He comes of a long-lived family, and will doubtless live to a good old age.


 George Wilson Humphrey (p. 266)
He is the son of John and Elizabeth (Lufkin) Humphrey; was born in Cumberland county, Maine, June 8, 1834. He left the school of his native town in 1852, and came to California. The first two years he spent in the Sacramento valley, clerking a portion of the time. Early in the spring of 1854 he went to the mountains, and drove cattle for two years, living at Forest City. . He then clerked for a time at Smith’s flat, near what is now Alleghany. In the spring of 1855 he had been employed on Langton’s pioneer express as a rider, and after a time established a saddle-train business on his own account, carrying the mail and express until 1859, when he moved his headquarters to Sierra valley, and ran a stage line to Virginia City, connecting with his saddle-train to Downieville. These he conducted until the completion of the Central Pacific railroad over the mountains. In 1864 he purchased and began to reside on the ranch he now owns. It consists of 1,500 acres of land, and he handles from one to two thousand head of cattle annually. Mr. Humphrey was married October 27, 1862, to Edith A. Lockhart, daughter of William and Mary A. Lockhart of Crawford county, Pennsylvania, where she was born September 18, 1844. Their children are Henrietta Elizabeth, born October 10, 1864; John E., September 17, 1866; Frank E., July 9, 1868; May Josephine, July 28, 1870; Herbert, January 3, 1872; James L., January 16, 1874; Jacob Butler, April 22, 1876; Susan Winnefred, March 22, 1878; infant daughter, July 7, 1881. Mr. Humphrey’s present residence and buildings were erected in 1879, a view of which may be seen elsewhere <in this book>.


 Patrick Oglesby Hundley (Judge) (p. 181)
Is a native of Amelia county, East Virginia, where he was born April 13, 1822. In the fall of 1838 he went to Greensburg, Kentucky, and in 1846 was admitted to practice at law. He engaged in the practice of his profession, and in the fall of 1847 matriculated at the university of Louisville, from which he graduated in March, 1849, receiving the degree of B. L. In April, 1849, he left Green county, Kentucky, for California, arriving at Sacramento October 10, 1849. In November he went to the mines in Amador county, and remained at Drytown till June, 1850, when he removed to Deer creek, Nevada county. In the fall of 1851 he purchased an interest in the Rough and Ready quartz-mine, on Jamison creek, then in Butte county. He sunk all his means in this mine, and left the mountains in 1852. In 1853 he commenced the practice of law at Gibsonville, and in 1854 removed to Quincy. He was admitted to the bar of Plumas in May, 1855. In the fall of that year, September 2, he was married to Catherine T. Russell, daughter of Henry P. Russell, in American valley. Mr. Hundley served one term as supervisor from district No. 2, resigning in March, 1856. He then associated himself in the practice of law at Quincy with Thomas E. Hayden. He was the whig nominee for county judge in 1857, but was defeated at the election. In 1859 he was elected to the assembly on the Breckenridge democratic ticket, and in 1861 was elected by the democrats to the office of district attorney. In November, 1863, he resigned this office and went to Virginia City, Nevada, where he opened a law office. In 1869 he went to Oroville, and in 1875 was the democratic nominee for district judge, but was defeated by Judge Sexton. Upon the death of the latter in April, 1878, he was appointed to fill the vacancy, and in 1879 was elected superior judge of Butte county, a position he now holds.