Biographies (T-Y)

The following biographies were transcribed from Illustrated History of Plumas, Lassen & Sierra Counties, with California from 1513 to 1850, Fariss and Smith, San Francisco, 1882. The page number of that book on which a person can be found is noted beside his/her name. In cases where, instead of first names, only initials were provided in the book, first and middle names have been provided here (whenever possible) using census records of Plumas County, vital records of Plumas County, and/or other Plumas County historical documents as source material. Known misspellings and typographical errors in the book have been corrected on this page. Corrections are {shown in brackets}. Some Lassen County and some Sierra County biographies may be included here.


Return to Biographies Index


E. W. Taylor { Edwin Wallace Taylor } (p. 301)
Son of Seth and Miriam Taylor, was born at Forest Lake, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, August 17, 1831. He remained on the old homestead most of the time until 1861, when he came to California, and reached Taylorville September 13, 1861. He was engaged in running grist and saw mils, and in farming, until 1872, when he removed to Squaw Queen valley, and followed dairying for two years. He then returned to Taylorville, and farmed until 1881, when he went into the freighting business. He was married February 12, 1856, to Miss Ruth E. Warner of Forest Lake, Pennsylvania, and to them have been born the following children: Azelia Coralinn, born December 28, 1856; Clarence Ashley, October 30, 1859; Ernest Wallace, August 21, 1862; Miriam Alida, February 27, 1864; Seth Terrill, February 14, 1866; Olive M., August 22, 1868; Clara Elma, May 16, 1871; Justice Edwin and Jobe T., January 29, 1878. Ernest died December 28, 1862; and Clarence, February, 1862. Mr. Taylor is a member of Plumas Lodge No. 132, A. O. U. W., and a republican in politics.


J. Charles Taylor { John Charles Taylor } (p. 311)
Was born at Mineral Point, Wisconsin, May 24, 1859. While a small boy he lived in Iowa three years, where his father died in 1868. Then he returned to Wisconsin, and in the spring of 1870 came overland, with his mother and two brothers, to California, arriving at Quincy May 4, 1870. In the fall they went to Crescent Mills, and in April, 1872, to Greenville, where our subject has since resided. From the time of the marriage of his elder brother, William M. Taylor, in 1876, Charles has been the head of the family. March 15, 1875, he became an operator in the Greenville telegraph office, and on the first of April, 1881, he was appointed manager of the office.


Jump to Top of Page


Jobe Tyrrill Taylor { should be Job Terrill Taylor } (p. 299)
The founder of the town of Taylorville, and the first permanent resident of Indian valley, was born in Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, March 21, 1811. At an early age he emigrated to Illinois, and for a time held the position of surveyor of U. S. public lands. Upon the breaking out of gold excitement, he started across the plains for California early in 1849. He took the Lassen route, and on the night of October 31, 1849, camped in Big Meadows, in this county near Bunnell’s. He began mining on Long’s bar, Butte county; then went near Bidwell’s. In February, 1850, he went still farther up the middle fork, to Crooked bar, and in August went to Nelson creek. Early in the spring of 1851 he settled in Indian valley, which he made his home till the time of his death. The particulars of this settlement have already been given. Mr. Taylor was a public-spirited and energetic man, and has been engaged in many movements for the public benefit. He has taken a leading position in the development of Indian valley in particular, and the county generally. No citizen of Plumas enjoyed more of the trust and confidence of the people, or whose death was so universally lamented. His decease occurred at his home in Taylorville, March 5, 1878. His funeral was largely attended, and was conducted by the Masonic lodge of which he was an old and worthy member; the Grangers and Good Templars also following the remains of their deceased brother to the grave. Mr. Taylor left a widow and one son. Mr. Taylor held the office of county surveyor and supervisor from his district, but never sought political honors.


Charles C. Thomas (p. 293)
He was a native of Maryland, and came overland to California in 1849, as a member of the Charlestown company from Virginia, in which were the late B. F. Washington and Joseph E. N. Lewis. They arrived in Sacramento in September; and Thomas, with a portion of the company, engaged in mining at Bidwell’s bar. Subsequently he was at American bar, on the Middle Feather. In the early spring of 1851 McElvaney, Thomas, & Co. erected the first store and hotel in Onion valley. The firm also built stores at Gibsonville, and at the forks of Poorman’s and Hopkins creeks. They were among the original members of the company that opened and worked the celebrated Eureka quartz-mine, and of the company that constructed the first flumes to drain the river at Rich bar, east branch of the north fork. Mr. Thomas was elected a member of the assembly in the fall of 1852, representing the Plumas portion of Butte county, and served one session. He retired from business in Onion valley in 1854, and left the state in 1862, going to Nevada, where he held important positions in the mines, and is now superintendent of the Sutro Tunnel Company.


Richard Thompson (Spanish Ranch resident) (p. 251)
This gentleman is a son of Isaac and Catherine (Sephton) Thompson, who were of English birth, and emigrated to Canada, where they were married in the city of Quebec. Here the subject of our sketch, Richard, was born on the twenty-seventh of November, 1824. He was the oldest of a family of five brothers and two sisters, all whom were born in Canada. When a boy, Richard learned the blacksmithing trade, and for a short time followed it. The next venture for self-support was as a clerk in a grocery store in Quebec. There he remained until news of the great gold field of California reached Quebec. He then started, via Cape Horn, to San Francisco, where he arrived in September, 1850. He worked at his trade until February, 1851, when he went to Rich bar, and mined until the fall of 1852, when he came to Spanish Ranch and opened a shop, which he carried on till 1856. Then Mr. Kellogg joined him, and they opened a hardware store, continuing the business till 1861, when they purchased the Spanish Ranch, and opened a general merchandise store; and in 1882 we find them sole proprietors of Spanish Ranch, doing a farming, mining, mercantile, and banking business, together with blacksmithing and hotel-keeping. Mr. Thompson was married January 20, 1860, to Miss Sarah J. Russell, by whom he has had two sons: Charles Russell, born at Spanish Ranch August 23, 1863; and William Hundley, born December 27, 1865. Mrs. Thompson died November 19, 1872, and is interred in the Meadow valley burying-ground. Mr. Thompson was married again to Miss Alicia S. Keough of Meganti county, Canada, on the twenty fourth of August, 1874. He joined the order of Odd Fellows in Canada, and at present is a member of the Quincy lodge.


Jump to Top of Page


Richard Thompson (Indian Valley resident) (p. 305)
Son of Richard and Mary Thompson, was born November 16, 1834, at Yorkshire, England, where his father was engaged in farming. In the spring of 1843 the family came to the United States, and settled the year following in Fayette county, Illinois. In 1859 our subject and his father came overland to California, driving out a band of stock to Indian valley. For several years he rented and worked different ranches, but in the fall of 1862 he, in company with George A. Lee, bought the Chipman ranch in the north arm. In 1864, he bought out Lee, and has since run it alone. He was married December 18, 1856, to Miss Susan J. Hickerson, daughter of A. J. and Margaret Hickerson, now of Plumas county. Their children are Robert A., born September 11, 1857; Mary M., August 18, 1859; John W., September 8, 1861; Harriett, December 18, 1863; Augusta A., August 31, 1867. John W., died August 6, 1864, and Harriett, August 8, 1865. Mr. Thompson is a member of Taylorville Lodge No. 136, I. O. O. F.


Thomas Treleaven (pp. 308-309)
Was born in the parish of Luxulyan, Cornwall, England, May 27, 1838. At the age of twenty-six he came to the copper mines of Lake Superior, where he was engaged in mining until the spring of 1866, when he came to California, via Panama. He mined eighteen months in Indian valley, and afterwards followed the same calling in the Cherokee mining district, in the New York mine and at Soda bar. In the winter of 1868 he went back to England for his family, and brought them to this county the following year. Since that time he has been engaged continually at mining. In 1875, with J. H. Whitlock, he re-located the New York quartz-mine, on which they procured U. S. patents. In 1878 he sold his interest to John May. February 19, 1862, Mr. Treleaven was married to Miss Isabella James, and the children born to them are Annie, born January 17, 1863; W. T., October 7, 1864, Frederick C., December 15, 1869; Harry A., January 13, 1871—all of whom are living at home. Mr. Treleaven is a member of Plumas Lodge No. 132, A. O. U. W.


R. H. F. Variel { Robert Henry Fauntleroy Variel} (p. 183)
Of Quincy was born November 22, 1849, at New Harmony, Posey county, Indiana. His father J. H. Variel { Joshua Hutchins Variel and Mary Alexander Casey } was a native of East Minor, then Cumberland county, Maine, and was born August 7, 1816; married Miss Mary A. Casey of Indiana in 1847; and in 1852 crossed the plains with his family, and settled at Camptonville, Yuba county, in 1853, and is now living in Quincy, in this county. After acquiring a common-school education at the mining town in which he was reared, R. H. F. Variel began to teach school in September, 1868, which he followed in Yuba and Plumas counties until 1873, when he was elected district attorney in the latter county; to which position he has been three times re-elected, and is now serving his fourth term. Since 1873 his undivided attention has been given to the study of the law. In June, 1876, he was admitted to practice in the district court, and in May, 1879, to the supreme court. He was married in 1876 to Miss Carrie L. Vogel of Transit, Erie county, New York, by whom he has had one daughter.


Jump to Top of Page


William Wagner (p. 254)
The owner of Buck’s ranch was born in Fredericktown, Knox county, Ohio, on the twenty-sixth of April, 1828, and was the eighth son of George and Mary Wagner, who reared a family of twelve children. His father served with Napoleon Bonaparte in 1808, and emigrated to America in 1810. To secure his passage expenses on the ship, he sold his time to a Pennsylvania Quaker, and worked on Connestoga creek until 1821, when he removed to Ohio. In February, 1852, William left home for California, and in the fall of the same year was at Rich bar, in Plumas county, where he mined a short time, and then was engaged as clerk by Messrs. Clark, Wagner, & Stickney. Shortly after, he went to Devil’s Elbow, near Spanish Ranch. This place derived its name from a remark made by Wagner, in which he referred to it as “a devil of an elbow.” His associates that winter were James and A. J. Ford, S. M. Folger, J. M. Robinson, E. O. Parker, Lewis Keeler, and a Mr. Fales. In 1860 Mr. Wagner removed to Buck’s Ranch and has since been engaged in merchandising, stock-raising, and mining. He was the first justice of the peace at Buck’s ranch, and served for eight years. He has been a supervisor of the county for six years, and has been chairman of the republican central committee, and of the county conventions, for many years. In addition to the Plumas property, they own the Miner’s ranch in Butte county, and Mr. Wagner has two valuable properties in Ohio, including the homestead on which he was born. He is a member of Elicott Lodge No. 267, I. O. O. F., at Frederickstown, Ohio, and of Kokosing Encampment at Mt. Vernon, Ohio. He is also connected with Plumas Lodge No. 60, F. & A. M., at Quincy.


John S. Ward (Judge) { John Sherrill Ward } (pp. 374-375)
This gentleman took a very prominent part in the efforts of the citizens to form a county government in this section. He was born at Vergennes, Vermont, December 16, 1825, and came to the coast in an early day, having lived in Indiana and Wisconsin. His father came to California in 1853, and settled in Indian valley, Plumas county, where the father, Hon. William T. Ward, became the first county judge. John came in 1855, and settled in Honey Lake valley in 1858, and was admitted to the practice of law by Judge Gordon N. Mott, of Nevada Territory, in July, 1862. The following December he was appointed probate judge of Roop county, by the governor of Nevada Territory, and held that position through the conflict for jurisdiction known as the Sage-Brush War. He devoted himself studiously to his books, and soon ranked among the best lawyers in this section of the state; and had he lived, his career would have been a brilliant one, so full of promise was it when he was cut down in the prime of life. He died in Susanville in 1872, and was buried with honors and imposing ceremonies by the Odd Fellows and Masonic orders. In 1871 he went to Washington, and secured the establishment of a U. S. land office at Susanville, of which he was appointed Register. He was married at Madison, Wisconsin, January 1, 1849, to Miss Anna E. Hyer. Of their children, two were born in Wisconsin—T. H., September 25, 1851, and Jennie S., January 16, 1755 <1855>; one in Plumas county, California—Frank G., February 5, 1857; the others in Lassen county—Charles R., September 13, 1859; Annie H., October 13, 1861; William C., September 10, 1868. Jennie S. married Hon. John S. Chapman, January 1, 1871. T. H. married Miss Wileta Edwards, February 16, 1872. Frank G. Married Miss Ada Myers, in September 1876. Annie H. married Hon. J. W. Hendrick, January 1, 1878.


Jump to Top of Page


William T. Ward (Judge) (pp. 178-179)
The first county judge of Plumas county, was born in Cummington, Massachusetts, February 28, 1802. He was raised on a farm until about eighteen years of age, when he quit farm life, moved to Vergennes, Vermont, and embarked in the mercantile business. Here, at the age of 23 years, he married Miss Harriett Sherill, and all of their children, except the youngest were born to them at this place. In 1836, in obedience to New England adventure and enterprise, he moved west, and settled in Cleveland, Ohio. Here he invested all his means in an iron foundry, and in commerce upon the lakes in connection therewith, and did a large business until 1846, when he lost most all of his property by fire. He then moved to Wisconsin, and engaged in the business of milling and merchandising until the winter of 1852-53, when high floods destroyed his mill property. He then turned his face towards the Pacific, crossing the plains in the summer of 1853, and reached Plumas county late in the fall of that year. He settled with his family in Indian valley, upon what was then known as the Isadore, now called the Hickerson ranch. At the organization of Plumas county he was called by the people from his farm life to the position of county judge. This necessitated his removal to Quincy, the county seat, where he resided until the close of his official term, in December, 1857, discharging his judicial functions to the entire satisfaction of the public and with honor to himself. He then returned to his home in Indian valley, and enjoyed the quiet independence of farm life until the mining excitement of 1861, when he purchased the Genesee mine near Genesee valley, in this county, and with his family moved there, and continued to prosecute his mining operations until the death of his wife in August, 1865. Shortly after, he went to Susanville to live with his son John, remaining until 1875. While there he held for a number of years the position of postmaster. He then removed to Quincy, where he still resided till his death, which occured April 21, 1878. Judge Ward was a splendid type of that New England manhood and persistent effort—that indomitable will and pluck which has caused the stock of his native section to dominate so largely the institutions of our country.


David Gould Webber (Dr.) (p. 267)
This gentleman is the son of William and Susanna Webber and was born in Livingston county, New York, September 12, 1809. When sixteen years old he began working on a canal in summer, attending school in winter, and followed this for two years, when he engaged as a drug clerk and student with Dr. Woodworth of Springfield, Pennsylvania. Three years after, young Webber bought him out, and continued in business for twelve years. In 1843 he closed out his business there, and dealt in stock for two years. He went to Chicago in 1845, and bought a half-interest in a steam flouring mill, and was also a contractor on the Illinois canal for about four years. He started for California in December, 1849, via Panama, and upon his arrival in April, 1850, went to Downieville, and mined during the summer of 1850. In 1851 he located the Oak ranch near Monte Christo, but sold out the next year and bought a saw-mill in Downieville, going also into stock-raising in Scott valley. During the four years following, Dr. Webber superintended the building of the first wagon road to Downieville, the first bridge across Yuba river, and the court-house, jail, and jailer’s house. He was school superintendent of Sierra county two years. During this time, in 1852, he located all the land around what was then called Little Truckee lake (now known as Webber lake), for a stock range, and in 1854 stocked the lake with trout, there have been previously no fish in it, because of the falls a mile below. In 1860 he built the Webber Lake hotel there, and opened it to the public that year. The ranch he now lives on, four miles north of Loyalton, was located by him in 1859, where he spent the winters, and ran the hotel at the lake during the remainder of the year, until 1877. The doctor has practiced medicine in Loyalton for three years. The lake property is still owned by him. In 1833 he was married to Miss Margaret Bradish of Cranerville, Pennsylvania, by whom he had one child, James W., who was born in 1835, and died in Sacramento in 1856. Mrs. Webber died in 1842. The doctor has raised and educated nine orphan children, two of whom are practicing medicine, another is a merchant, another a lawyer, and another a book-keeper. One of his pupils in medicine he sent to Europe for two years. He is a member of the Summit lodge of Odd Fellows.


Jump to Top of Page


Allen J. Welden { Allen John Welden } (p. 283)
He was the sixth son of a family of thirteen, the parents being Jacob and Polly (Murphy) Welden, and is a native of Sandy Creek, Oswego county, New York. His boyhood days were spent on the farm and attending school. His first venture was to purchase a farm in Oswego county, running in debt for it all. In 1850 he sold it, followed the gold excitement to California, and began mining on American river. Soon he went to Downieville, and finally to Poorman’s creek, in Plumas county. In 1851 he purchased the Illinois ranch from Goodrich and others, and in the fall went back to New York for his family, returning to his ranch in 1852. This he sold the following year, and in 1855 purchased his present residence, a view of which may be seen in this works. It now consists of 300 acres of good farming land. There were four other families in the valley when the Weldens came, and three houses at Quincy. The only two white women besides Mrs. Welden were Mrs. Judkins and Mrs. Bradley. Mails were costly, each letter requiring a dollar and a half for transportation; and other things were in proportion. Mr. Welden was married July 8, 1840, to Lucinda Morey, daughter of Isaac and Sibyl Morey of Oswego county, New York. There are four children: John A., born July 8, 1850, now married and living near Reno; Lillian L., born March 26, 1855; Carrie R., born May 30, 1865; Clarence G., born June 18, 1869. Lillian was married July 20, 1881, to Elbridge K. Grove, who was born in Plymouth, Ohio, February 6, 1849, and was the son of Rev. Philetus Grove, the first minister in American valley, whose death occurred at Woodland, Yolo county, December 28, 1869.


T. F. West { Thomas F. West } (p. 269)
Mr. West was born in Rensselaer county, New York, January 20, 1820. When he was fourteen years of age his parents moved to Verona, Oneida county. Our subject worked on his father’s farm until twenty-two. In September, 1844, he went to Dane county, Wisconsin, and farmed for seven years, after which he engaged in mercantile pursuits for five years. In 1864 he went to Whitewater, Walworth county, where he ran a foundry and implement and wagon manufactory for six years. He came to California in April, 1871, by rail and settled in Sierra valley, Plumas county, where he purchased a quarter-section of land, and lived on it ten years. He now resides on another farm of his own, two miles north-east of Loyalton, in Sierra county. Mr. West is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges at Whitewater, Wisconsin. He was married September 15, 1841, to Miss Abbie S. Kenyon of Rome, New York, who was born April 23, 1819.


Isaac Weston (p. 268)
He was born at Foxcroft, Maine, May 9, 1837. His education was received in the common schools; and in 1857 he came to California, via the Isthmus. He mined two years at Timbuctoo, Yuba county, after which he located what is now the Flint ranch, in Sierra valley, where he stayed for three years. He then sold out, and in company with W. Spencer bought the Robbins ranch. This was sold three years after, and he went to Yuba county, where he remained two years, when he returned to the valley and bought his present ranch of 320 acres, a half-mile north-west of Loyalton. Since then he has sold it, but bought it back again. He was married April 12, 1865 to Miss Jennie Badenoch of Lower Canada. Clara Bell, a daughter of Mrs. Weston’s sister, has been adopted by them.


Jump to Top of Page


Fenton Berkley Whiting (pp. 184-185)
Is a native of Virginia, and was born at Mountain View, Farquier county, October 1, 1827. He is the fifth and only surviving son of George Braxton and Frances Harrison Whiting. In 1831 his father removed to Fredericksburg, Virginia, resided in Alexandria in 1832, and went to Washington in 1834, where he received an appointment in the pension office, under President Jackson. He died in Washington in May, 1835. Fenton was taken to Clark county, Virginia, in 1837, by an elder brother, Francis H. Whiting, a bachelor farmer, and with him he lived until he reached the age of sixteen, when he was apprenticed to a cabinet-maker, William Deahl, of Berryville, Virginia. Having served out his time, he emigrated to St. Louis, Missouri, in February, 1848, and worked two years as clerk in a wholesale furniture establishment. In April, 1850, he started overland for California, with the Patterson rangers of St. Louis, arriving at Sacramento July 12, 1850. Mr. Whiting resided in that city until December, being employed two months, and working at his trade three months, and then left for the mines on the north fork of Feather river, with an old school-mate, locating at Smith’s bar, the travel route then being by Onion valley. He reached that point late in February, 1851, and found many people there, caught in a heavy snow-storm. Being without funds, he engaged as clerk in a hotel kept by McElvaney, Thomas, & Co., called the Miner’s Retreat. When the storms subsided in April he was intrusted with a stock of goods to start a trading-post where now stands the town of Gibsonville, Sierra county. Exciting reports of rich gold discoveries reaching that camp, he resigned his clerkship, and packing his mule, started with several friends for the head-waters of the middle fork of Feather river, and from there found his way over into Genesee valley, where, on the fourth of July, 1851, he began sinking prospect holes at Grizzly creek. Not meeting with any success, he went to a new camp called Rush creek, and from there to Soda bar on the east branch. There he found a solitary negro miner at work. He kept him company a few days, and returned to Onion valley by following the dividing ridge lying between Indian and American valleys, and discovered the body of water now known as Crystal lake. He mined on the middle fork below Rich bar the remainder of the season, was elected district recorder for mining claims, built a cabin, and spent the winter there. Early in the spring of 1852 he removed to the east branch, and engaged in river mining as a member of the Virginia company, meeting with indifferent success. He continued in that locality until the winter of 1855-56, when he was employed by Singer & Morrow, expressmen, as a messenger from Junction, Smith, and Rich bars to Bidwell’s bar. He became one of the proprietors of the business in the fall of 1857, with H. C. Everts, continuing at this occupation for several years. During this time, with G. W. Morley and E. E. Meek, he formed Whiting & Co.’s “Feather River Express.” In 1860 Mr. Whiting took the first census of Plumas county. . He spent a few months in the Atlantic states in 1861, and after his return took up his residence at Quincy in 1862. In March, 1866, he received from James H. Yeates the appointment of under-sheriff, holding the place until December, when Mr. Yeates surrendered his office of sheriff to the successful contestant, S. J. Clark. In the fall of 1867 Mr. Whiting was the democratic candidate for county clerk, but was defeated at the election by John B. Overton, the republican nominee. In January, 1868, he withdrew from the express business, and was succeeded by Wells Fargo, & Co. In April, 1868, he was again appointed under-sheriff by Sheriff Yeates, and held the office until March, 1870, when, having been elected county clerk the preceding fall, he resigned one office for the other. Mr. Whiting was re-elected in 1871, in 1873, and in 1875. In 1877 he was successfully opposed by William T. Byers, who, in March 1878, appointed Whiting his deputy. In the fall of 1879 Mr. Whiting was again elected county clerk, and is the present incumbent. He was married June 23, 1863, to Martha Jane Whiting, who was born in Aberdeen, Mississippi, July 17, 1843. Their union has been blessed with six children: Richard Henry, born May 11, 1864; Fenton Blakemore, May 7, 1866; Eugene C., March 26, 1868; Randolph V., November 30, 1870; Frank Moore, July 6, 1875; and Pearle, December 7, 1877, all of whom are living. Mr. Whiting is a prominent member of the Odd Fellows, Masons, and other fraternal societies of Plumas county.


Jump to Top of Page


James H. Whitlock (Maj.) { James Henry Whitlock } (pp. 197-198)
Was born May 15, 1829, in Union county, Illinois. Early in 1850 he started on the long journey across the plains to California. He left his home on the second of April, went to St. Louis, and paid in advance for a passage on a wagon train. Going to Fort Leavenworth by steamer, they started overland on the fourth of May. They met with many reverses on the journey, and when they reached Salt Lake City most of the horses were dead, and the proprietor of the train was a bankrupt individual. Mr. Whitlock and two others accepted one horse as their share, and started on foot to complete the journey, accompanied by one hundred emigrants, most of whom were in the same predicament. They hired a Mormon to pilot them into California; but after getting them across the desert, during the passage of which some of the emigrants died, he suddenly disappeared. On the twentieth day from Salt Lake City they finally discovered the emigrant trail, and after many hardships and privations, arrived at Hangtown (Placerville) on the twenty-fourth of August, Mr. Whitlock having lost sixty pounds of flesh on the trip. He engaged in mining during the fall and winter on Weaver creek, and make about $2,000. In March, 1851, he came to Nelson creek, now in Plumas county, where he sunk all his money in a river claim in six weeks. Then he mined six miles farther up, with better success. He and his two comrades took a contract to furnish lumber for a flume, and made considerable at it by Christmas. In the spring they all engaged in fluming, and came out dead-broke in the fall, with numerous debts to pay. Then they mined at Fiddler’s flat and Henpeck flat, on Nelson creek. In January, 1853, their camp being without the means of subsistence, they left one man to take care of the claims, and the rest, twelve in number, went below for food. They experienced terrible hardships in breaking a trail through the snow, and finally the party got divided, Mr. Whitlock’s party reaching a house on the third day. The others were not so fortunate. When they were rescued Walter Goodspeed was dead; H. Brown lived about two weeks, and William Phillips died six months afterward from the effects of the trip. At the fall election in November, 1854, Mr. Whitlock was elected county surveyor on the whig ticket, and was re-elected four successive subsequent times. Though elected in the fall of 1861 he did not qualify. He then raised a company of sixty-six men, was elected captain, and they were mustered in as company F., fifth infantry, California volunteers. Mr. Whitlock’s commission dated from October 2, 1861. The company left Sacramento, February 2, 1862, established Camp Drum in Los Angeles county, now Wilmington, and from there went to Arizona. Whitlock was commanding officer at Tucson until April, 1863, when he was ordered to New Mexico, and did active service against the Indians. For gallant conduct in a battle with the Apaches in March, 1864, when a government train was recaptured from them, Mr. Whitlock was brevetted major. In October his company was mustered out, and he took a position in another regiment; he had charge of Fort Seldon, most of which he built, and afterwards was at Fort Garland, in Colorado, with the command of General Kit Carson, where he served the balance of his time until discharged at Santa Fe, December 5, 1866. He returned to Plumas county in April, 1867, having been absent five years and a half. In the fall he was engaged in merchandising at Taylorville, but sold in 1868, and in 1870 embarked in the same business at Greenville, which he followed until 1876, when he sold again, went to the centennial, and was married in March, 1877, at Warren, Illinois, to Miss M. H. Baldwin, by whom he has had one son, Robert Greenleaf, now three year old. He returned to Plumas in April, 1877, and was elected to the legislature by the republicans, with a very large majority. In the fall of 1878 he commenced business at Quincy, and was appointed postmaster October 28, 1878.


Jump to Top of Page


Willoughby Brothers { Matthew Willoughby } { Henry Willoughby } { John Willoughby } (p. 245)
Matthew, Henry, and John Willoughby are all natives of Cornwall, England. Matthew came to the United States in the spring of 1869. In a short time he sent for his brother Henry, who arrived in 1870 on American soil. He in turn sent for their younger brother John, who arrived in the United States in 1872. By industry and business tact they have built themselves up, and we find them at Johnsville, proprietors of a good merchandising establishment, of the Mountain Home, and of a butcher shop, in each of which they are doing a good business. Henry is the manager in charge of the hotel, John of the store, and Matthew of the meat market. The hotel is one of the best in the county, being neat and comfortably furnished. In connection with the business in Johnsville, they own a ranch in Mohawk valley.


Emory Wing (p. 308)
Son of Elihu and Desire Wing, was born in Onondaga county, New York, February 21, 1810. His father was a farmer, and Emory followed that occupation in Chataugua county, until he was forty-four years old, when he removed to Iowa in 1854, and farmed until 1861. He then came overland to California, and went directly to Indian valley. In 1862 he rented a ranch and worked it one year, and then prospected and mined for twelve years. He discovered the Green Mountain mine in 1863, and sold it for $300; in 1865 he struck the Plumas mine, and sold it a month after for $1,200; in 1869 he opened the Wing Hill gravel mine, which he sold for $600; and various other mines owe their origin to him. He was married November 5, 1827, to Miss Eliza Hunt of New York, who died August 29, 1880, leaving three daughters and three sons. Their names are Emeline, Edgar, Ellis, Ellen, Elbridge and Emily. Elissa, their fifth child, died September 7, 1861. He settled on the farm he now owns in 1875.


Joseph Winston (Hon.) (p. 197)
Joe Winston was residing at Meadow valley in the spring of 1855, when he became the candidate for supervisor, and was elected in the third district. He served until the fall of that year, when he resigned, and was succeeded by I. J. Harvey of Spanish Ranch. He and Ripley C. Kelley were the successful candidates for the assembly in the fall of 1855, against Daniel R. Cate and T. F. Emmons.


Jump to Top of Page


Allen Wood (Gen.) (p. 197)
Was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the year 1812. He was raised in Connecticut, and in early life moved to Indiana, where he married a lady who still lives, hale and hearty. In 1839 he moved to Arkansas and settled, and was twice elected to the legislature of that state. In the first call of troops for Mexico he raised a company; but living quite a distance from Little Rock, he was just an hour too late in reporting, and his company was rejected, under the ten-regiment bill. However, he received a captain’s commission from President Polk, and again raised an Arkansas company, and joined General Scott at Pueblo. His command belonged to the twelfth infantry, under Colonel Bonham, and fought in the battles of Contreras and Cherubusco, August 19 and 20, 1847. On the latter day he took command of the regiment, Colonel Bonham having been wounded the night before; and on that day they finished the battle of Contreras, and fought Cherubusco. For his gallant conduct in these engagements, he was made a brevet major. In the fall of 1856 he came to California, and settled in Butte county. In 1858 he moved to Humbug valley, Plumas county, now Longville. He built a fine, large hotel there, which was subsequently burned, almost bankrupting the proprietor. In 1860 he was elected on the Douglas ticket to the assembly. During his legislative term General Wood was instrumental in having established several postal routes through Plumas county. He was the first to take steps for the organization of a commandery of Knights Templar at Susanville, where he now resides.


George Woodward (p. 246)
This gentleman was born in Wilmington, Delaware, July 14, 1821, and was the son of Alice and George Woodward. He removed with his father’s family to Chester county, Pennsylvania, and when twelve years of age went to Champaign county, Ohio, where his parents died. The family consisted of eleven children, ten of whom grew to be men and women. Mr. Woodward, who is a carpenter by trade, served his apprenticeship in Columbus, Ohio. From there he emigrated to California in 1849, and worked his trade in Sacramento until the flood of 1850, when he went to mining in the fall of 1850 in Plumas county. Since 1851 he has resided permanently in Plumas. He was married October 25, 1857, to Martha Portman, a native of England. Seven children have been born to them: Florence E., Alice I., George F., Fannie, John J., Edgar W., and Arthur. Mr. Woodward was one of the locators of the Mammoth mine.


Norman K. Wright (p. 252)
The only son of Sylvester and Cynthia B. (King) Wright was Norman K., and he was born in the county of Leeds, Canada, August 21, 1828. In 1843 he removed to Monroe county, New York, where he grew to manhood. His father died when he was three years old. After about six years of widowhood, his mother was again married to David N. Glazier. Most of Norman’s boyhood days were spent in clerking for his step-father. On the twentieth of March, 1852 he embarked on a vessel from New York for San Francisco, via Panama, where he was delayed seriously, awaiting the coming of the Monumental City, on which he completed his journey to San Francisco, arriving June 17 of the same year. The time until October was spent at Sacramento in sickness; but later in the fall he went to Auburn and engaged in mining and hotel-keeping. In April, 1853 he went to the north fork of Feather river. Here he remained until the spring of 1855, when he settled at Eagle gulch. After a short time spent in mining and sawing lumber, he, in company with Andrew Robinson, on the seventeenth of June, opened the second store kept in the place, the first having been opened by J. W. Hardwick. They continued in business until 1861, when the camp, failing to be a profitable place, was abandoned. On the twenty-first of September, 1863, he came at the request of Mr. Thompson, of the firm of Thompson & Kellogg, to take charge of their business for a few days, during their absence buying goods; and so efficient has he been in the discharge of duty that we find him there yet, in 1882. He was married, January 14, 1874, to Mrs. Carrie De Nayer, a native of Alsace, France.


Jump to Top of Page


Yeates-Clark Contest { James Hughes Yeates } { Stephen J. Clark } (p. 187)
At the election in September, 1865, Stephen J. Clark and James H. Yeates ran for the office of sheriff. When the votes were canvassed, the supervisors declared Yeates elected by a majority of five. He qualified, and entered upon the discharge of the duties of the office. The majority was so small that William H. Knowles, a warm personal friend of Clark, commenced action for the office in the county court before Judge A. P. Moore. Peter Van Clief and H. L. Gear represented Clark, while John R. Buckbee and John D. Goodwin conducted the case for the defendant. The decision was in favor of Yeates, and Knowles appealed to the supreme court. Creed Haymond represented Yeates in the higher court, and secured a decision sustaining the decree of Judge Moore. This was not the end. A petition for rehearing was granted, and in October, 1866, the supreme court reversed its former judgment, and declared Clark the rightful possessor of the office upon a majority over Yeates of two votes. Yeates lost $1,500 in fees that the supervisors gave to Clark, on the ground that Yeates had not been in lawful possession of the office. The case created intense excitement in the county, and party feeling ran high; and in the following year, when Clark and Yeates were again pitted against each other for the same office, Clark was defeated, and Yeates held the office for several successive terms.


James Hughes Yeates (p. 187) - see also Yeates-Clark Contest
Was born in Washington county, Virginia, December 15, 1815. His parents were John and Hannah (Hughes) Yeates, both natives of Virginia. When quite young, James emigrated to Kentucky, where he learned the trade of stone-cutting. Here he remained for three years, and then removed to Iowa, where he still followed his profession until 1850, when he crossed the plains to California. In February, 1851, he came to Plumas county, and settled on the farm he now owns, in November, 1862. In 1865 he became a candidate for sheriff against S. J. Clark, and had a contest for the office, which was decided in favor of Mr. Clark. In 1867 he defeated Mr. Clark for the same office, and was twice re-elected, giving way in 1874 to I. C. Boring. He was again elected in 1877 for one term. He now resides on his farm in the American valley, and enjoys the confidence and respect of his fellow-citizens. Mr. Yeates was married in Indiana, January 17, 1843, to Miss Nancy T. Reed, daughter of Hon. John Reed of that state. He has reared a family of eight children.


Jump to Top of Page


John C. Young { John Colin Young } (p. 306)
Son of George and Anna Young, was born June 3, 1840, in Glengarry county, Canada, where he lived until twenty-three years of age. In 1863 he came, via Panama, to California. Upon his arrival he went direct to Plumas county, and spent the winter in the north arm of Indian valley. In the spring of 1864 he went to Greenville, where he mined two years. In 1866 he went to Idaho and lived four years, after which he went to White Pine, Nevada, where he was engaged for two years at mining, milling, and teaming. He returned to Plumas county in December, 1873. During 1874 he was occupied in running a tunnel for the North Fork Mining Company, but in the spring of 1875 he came again to Taylorville, and went into the general merchandise business with his brother, W. G. Young. In 1879 he bought his brother out, and has since conducted the business alone. He was married October 29, 1879, to Miss Ella Cottingham, whose parents are old residents of Indian valley. They have one child, Marian, born October 18, 1880. Mr. Young is postmaster at Taylorville, and agent for the Western Union Telegraph company.


R. W. Young { Robert William Young } (p. 304)
was born March 17, 1833, in Glengarry county, Canada, and was the son of George and Nancy Young, of Scotch ancestry. In 1852 he came to California, via Panama, arriving at San Francisco late in the fall. He was taken with the Panama fever before landing, which for some time threatened his life; but he recovered at Marysville, and soon went to Butte county, living at Bidwell’s bar, and five months at Oroville, then Ophir, being engaged in Rodger’s hotel, where he entirely regained his health. He went to Gibsonville, Sierra county, the next spring, and mined nearly a year. In the spring of 1854 he went to Poorman’s creek, Plumas county, and mined until 1857, not making much success. He then went to Taylorville with his brother, W. G. Young, and followed carpentering until November, 1859, when he walked over the snow to Bidwell’s bar, and went by the Panama route to his home in Canada. In May, 1864, he began mining in the Shandier gold mines, sixty miles south-east of Quebec, but worked out his claim by November, and on the twenty-seventh of April, 1865, started again for the Pacific coast. From San Francisco he went to Portland, Oregon, and then up the Columbia to Walla Walla. From there he went overland on foot to the Indian missions at Cour de’Leon, where the rumors of gold discoveries had drawn three thousand miners, who were thirsting for the gore of the man who had got them to go there. Mr. Young and two others bought an Indian pony for thirty dollars, tied on their baggage, and started for Montana across the mountains. He landed at Blackfoot City on the fifth of July, with fifty cents in his pocket, which he spent for bread. He struck a job in the mines at six dollars a day, and a few weeks after started a meat market, in which he made money. In the fall of 1866 he closed his market, saddled his mule, and went to Walla Walla. In December, 1867, he went to Canada, and for the next four years was engaged in the cattle trade, during which time he visited Texas, Colorado, Kansas, and other states. March 24, 1869, he was married to Miss Maggie McRae, daughter of Duncan and Maggie McRae, of Canada. In June, 1871, he came with his family to California, and settled in Indian valley, Plumas county, where he has since lived. The children born to Mr. And Mrs. Young are Annie, born January 11, 1871; Walter Edmund, October 6, 1872; Forest, September 22, 1876. Mr. Young is a member of Greenville Lodge No. 249, F. & A. M.


Jump to Top of Page


This page was revised last on 30-Sep-2012 12:44



Website Design  © 2012 CAGenWeb Project. All Rights Reserved.

Copyright Notice: The content of this website is a collective work that may contain some private contributions. Said private contributions are so-noted and copyright of those private contributions belongs to the original author. Most of the textual and photographic content on this site has been donated by Elizabeth E. Bullard and is free for the public to use at will, as long as the data remains free. Under no circumstances is any data from this site to be used on a pay-for-use site. Clipart found on this site is royalty-free, but may include some limited commercial rights.


Links to some external websites have been provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only. The act of pointing, via hyperlink, to any website by this website does not in any way whatsoever constitute an endorsement or an approval by the USGenWeb Project or any of its affliates or any of its administrators, including the CAGenWeb Project and the Plumas County CAGenWeb Project and any of their administrators, of any product, service, or opinion that may be appear on that website.

The USGenWeb Project and its affiliates and its administrators, including the CAGenWeb Project and the Plumas County CAGenWeb Project and their administrators, make no guarantee whatsoever about the content and/or quality of any research material that may be provided by any genealogical or historical researcher that may be listed on this website. The USGenWeb Project and its affiliates and its administrators, including the CAGenWeb Project and the Plumas County CAGenWeb Project and their administrators, make no guarantee whatsoever about the expertise of any genealogical or historical researcher that may be listed on this website. The listing on this website of any genealogical or historical researcher does not in any way whatsoever constitute endorsement of that genealogical or historical researcher by the USGenWeb Project or any of its affiliates or any of its administrators, including the CAGenWeb Project and the Plumas County CAGenWeb Project and any of their administrators.