Santa Barbara County
Historical Markers

Source: Waymarking.com

California State Historical Landmarks in Santa Barbara County

Historical Marker #305 - Mission Santa Inés - Solvang, CA


Source: Mission Santa Inés Image Gallery

Mission webpage: http://www.missionsantaines.org/home.html

N 34° 35.683 W 120° 08.176

Mission Santa Inés (sometimes spelled Santa Ynes) was founded on September 17, 1804 by Father Estévan Tapís, who had succeeded Father Fermín Lasuén as President of the California mission chain.

The Mission site was chosen as a midway point between Mission Santa Barbara and Mission La Purísima Concepción, and was designed to relieve overcrowding at those two missions and to serve the Indians living east of the Coast Range.

On February 21, 1824 a soldier beat a young Chumash Indian and sparked a revolt. Some of the Indians went to get the Indians from Missions Santa Barbara and La Purísima to help in the fight.

When the fighting was over, the Indians themselves put out the fire that had started at the Mission. Many of the Indians left to join other tribes in the mountains; only a few Indians remained at the Mission.

The Danish town of Solvang was built up around the Mission proper in the early 1900s. It was through the efforts of Father Alexander Buckler in 1904 that reconstruction of the Mission was undertaken, though major restoration was not possible until 1947 when the Hearst Foundation donated money to pay the for project.

The restoration continues to this day, and the Capuchin Franciscan Fathers take excellent care of the Mission. Today the Mission is an active parish; there is also a museum, gift shop and information center.


Source: Mission Santa Inés Image Gallery

Back

This page was last updated July 26, 2009.