Santa Barbara County
Historical Marker #308 - Covarrubias Adobe - Santa Barbara, CA
Location: 715 N Santa
Barbara St, Santa Barbara
The adobe was built by Indian labor in 1817 for Don Domingo Carrillo. In 1838, his daughter married Don José María Covarrubias, who in 1852 became the first federal elector from California.
Descendants of these families, many of them leaders in public affairs, occupied this house for over a century. John R. Southworth moved and rebuilt the 'Historic Adobe' here in 1924 as part of a civic program of historic preservation.
Los Adobes de los Rancheros acquired the property in 1938 as headquarters for Los Rancheros Visitadores and for the use and enjoyment of the people.
This page was last updated July 26, 2009.