Santa Barbara County
Historical Markers

Source: Waymarking.com

Historical Marker #535 - Carpinteria and Indian Village of Mishopshnow - Carpinteria, CA



Source: Carpinteria and Indian Village of Mishopshnow Image Gallery

Carpinteria Valley Museum of History, 950 Maple Avenue, Carpinteria

N 34° 23.857 W 119° 31.061

The Chumash Indian village of Mishopshnow, discovered by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo on August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of the monument. Fray Juan Crespí of the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition named it San Roque on August 17, 1769. Portolá's soldiers, observing the Indians building wooden canoes, called the village La Carpinteria-the Carpenter's Shop.


Source:
Carpinteria and Indian Village of Mishopshnow Image Gallery

~~~~~~~~~~

Historical Marker #535 - Carpinteria and Indian Village of Mishopshnow - Carpinteria, CA


Source:
La Carpinteria Image Gallery

1000 South Carpinteria Avenue

N 34° 23.550 W 119° 30.655

Text on the monument:

"LA CARPINTERIA (1769)

The Chumash Indian village of Mishopshnow,
discovered by Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo,
August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile
southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespí of the
Gaspar de Portolá expedition named it San Roque,
August 17, 1769. Portolá's soldiers, observing the
Indians building wooden canoes, called the
village "La Carpinteria" - the Carpenter's Shop.

Registered Landmark No. 535

Plaque erected by the County of Santa Barbara in
cooperation with the California State Park Commission"

There are two monuments (with identical text) for California landmark 535. One is located in front of the Carpinteria Valley History Museum. This one is located near the southern entrance to the small town of Carpinteria. This is probably the original one, based on its location nearer to the village, which as the plaque says, was one-fourth mile southwest of this monument.


Source:
La Carpinteria Image Gallery

Back

This page was last updated August 2, 2009.