Arrived at Shasta in 1851 and worked as a mule packer and an unsuccessful goldminer. Married Ida Schroeder in 1865. Elected as County Judge in 1861. Admitted to the bar in 1867. Retained William Magee to survey Shasta in 1870. Moved to Redding when the railroad arrived in 1872. Called the Father of Redding because of his many accomplishments. Was the first Redding merchant, the first Redding Mayor, first Redding Fire Chief (at that time called a Foreman), first Redding postmaster, and the first Chairman of the Board of Trustees. Was also a Justice of the Peace (judge). Built his house at the northwest corner of Sacramento and Market Streets (present day location of Redding Hotel). Built first Redding store in 1872 at the southeast corner of Butte and Market Streets; store named C. C. Bush & Co. Redding's first post office was located in a corner of store. Building and contents destroyed in an 1873 fire.

Established Bush & Johnson, Forwarding and Commission Merchants (express company forwarding business) with partner Henry F. Johnson in 1876 and shipped goods from the railroad by stage and freight wagons to points farther north. Was an agent for Firemen's Fund Insurance Co. of California in 1881. He and others started the movement to bring the county seat from Shasta to Redding in 1881. Organized the Bank of Shasta County (first Shasta County bank) in 1884 on California Street which later moved to the corner of Market and Butte Streets.

SOURCE: The Dictionary of Early Shasta County History - by Dottie Smith - copyright 1999

Biography Index