In 1855 he sold out and came to California and settled in Napa County. He purchased a farm five miles from Vallejo, where he farmed successfully for twenty-two years. In 1877 Mr. Frisbie purchased 20,000 acres of the Redding grant, covering the towns of Redding and Anderson. He divided the property up, put it on the market and sold it off, having disposed of the last of it in 1885. He engaged in lumbering on Pitt River, floated the logs to Redding and sawed them there. In 1888 he formed a banking corporation, composed of the following gentlemen: E. Frisbie, F. H. Deakin, J. McCormick, Captain T. G. Taylor and T. A. C. Doland. They gave it the name of the Bank of Northern California. They started with a capital of $100,000. Mr. Frisbie was elected President, which position he still occupies. He also has large farming interests in this State; owns a stock-ranch of 920 acres on the Bald Hills in Shasta County, where he is raising cattle and horses. With one of his sons and another gentleman Mr. Frisbie is farming 12,000 acres of land in Monterey County. On this place they have a large dairy. About one-half of the place is being cultivated. On it they harvested 63,000 sacks of wheat and barley.
There were born to Mr. Frisbie by his first wife eleven children, all of whom are married and have children of their own. At his writing Mr. Frisbie has twenty-four grandchildren. July 17, 1886, after a useful and happy life Mrs. Frisbie was called home. The loss of this loving and indulgent mother and true and devoted wife was deeply felt by her family and many friends. In June, 1887, Mr. Frisbie wedded Miss Laura A. Walden, a native of California and daughter of Mr. Jerome Walden, an early settler of the State. This union is blessed with a daughter, Edwina Fay.
Mr. Frisbie’s brother, now General J. B. Frisbie, was a Captain of one of the companies in General Stevenson’s regiment, and came with that regiment to California in 1846. He is now a resident of Mexico. Another brother, Eleazer, came to this State with the same regiment. General J. B. Frisbie and Dr. L. C. Frisbie married General Vallejo’s daughters. Dr. Frisbie has resided at Vallejo since 1852.
Previous to the civil war the subject of this sketch was Democrat, but he voted for John C. Fremont, and has since given his vote and influence to the Republican party. In all business matters he is very exact, both to give and receive what is just. In public affairs he has always been very liberal, having given much to aid in the many improvements made in his section of the country. He is one of the citizens of California, who, by his industry, integrity and well-directed efforts, has risen to an enviable position in a business point of view, not only in Shasta County but also throughout Northern California.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler, July 2004.
SOURCE: Memorial and Biographical History of Northern California, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1891. pg. 311-312