George Groves, the leading hotel man of the city of Redding, California, is a native of England, born August 7, 1834, the son of English parents. He received his education in his native land and, at the age of eighteen years, came to New York and began his business career in this country. For a number of years he was variously employed; worked in a seed garden in New York for eight dollars per month; went to Ohio and drove a team on the Ohio State Canal during the summer of 1852, at twelve dollars per month; for two years worked on a farm in Mercer County, Illinois, at thirteen dollars per month; engaged in flat-boating on the Mississippi River, selling wood to steamboats, being in that business three years; purchased a farm in Illinois and engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1861 Mr. Groves sold out and returned to England. Two years later he came back to the United States and settled in the iron district of Pennsylvania, where he learned the iron-moulder’s trade and worked at it five years. He then removed to Mercer County, Illinois, and took charge of a foundry, which he ran for a year. From there he went to Burlington, Iowa, and worked one winter. In 1865 he went on a farm and engaged in fruit culture, continuing that business four years. Then he purchased eighty acres of land, which he fenced and improved and which, three years later, he sold.

In 1873 Mr. Groves came to California and settled in Colfax, Placer County. There he furnished wood to the railroad and leased a hotel for a year and a half. He also engaged in hauling freight to Nevada City until the completion of the narrow-gauge railroad. In 1878 he sold out and went to Redding and ran the stage and express business from Redding to Shasta. He took the contract for planting eighty acres of land in vineyard and completed the work. He then engaged in the restaurant business on the present site of the Paragon Hotel. After running it a few months he added a lodging house to it. In 1883 the building was consumed by fire, after which Mr. Groves purchased the adjoining lot and built the Paragon Hotel. The increasing demands on his business caused him, in 1886, to build an addition to it. In 1887 he built the Hotel Del Monte, a fine large structure, for lodging purposes. The attractive grounds, ornamented with flowers, shrubs and vines, which surround this house, give it an inviting appearance. The Del Monte is a delightfully quiet retreat for those who wish to avoid the noise and bustle of the center of the city where the Paragon is located.

In 1858 Mr. Groves married Miss Rebecca Gregory, a native of Indiana. Their union was blessed with three children, only one of whom is living – William Sherman, born in Illinois. He is with his father in Redding and has charge of the Del Monte House. Both he and his father are obliging business men and are regarded with high esteem by their fellow citizens. Mr. Groves adheres to the Democratic party. He is a member of the A.O.U.W.

Transcribed by Kathy Sedler, July 2004.
SOURCE: Memorial and Biographical History of Northern California, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1891. pg. 349-350.

Biography Index