Richmond Logan was born July 29, 1860, in a covered wagon in Indian Territory, now known as the state of Wyoming. His parents, Pleasant Dixon Logan, a Quaker of Scottish-Irish ancestry and Cynthia Ann Logan, a black woman were enroute to California coming from Arkansas. The family settled in Tehama County where Richmond and his brothers spent their early years. His brothers were Alfred Jefferson, Robert, David Latimer (Latty) & Pleasant Dixon Jr. (Pete).
Richmond married Lilla Ellen Bowser Feb. 25, 1880. Lilla, who was seventeen
at the time of her marriage, was born in Georgetown, El Dorado Co, and
spent her early years in Napa Co. with her mother, Sarah Bowser. Her uncle,
Frederick Sparrow, a barber, was the first black man to vote in Napa Co.
The family moved to Red Bluff where Lilla met and married Richmond. Richmond
and Lilla established a home in the Balls Ferry area where their seven
children were born.
|Ernest Wade Logan||1880-1933||rancher|
|Clayton Richmond Logan||1885-1976||lumber mill worker|
|Sarah (Sadie) Logan Patag||1887-1967||rancher-housewife|
|Estella Inez Logan Martin||1889-1911||housewife Albert Martin - inventor|
|Ralph Frederick Logan||1892-1981||rancher|
|Marian Logan Giovannoni||1895- 1990||teacher-housewife|
|Lillian Thelma Logan Williams||1903- ?||religious evangelist housewife|
In 1907, Richmond acquired land and a home for his family in Palo Cedro on Cow Creek. Lumber trains rolled through the ranch property on the old Terry Lumber Co. Line.
Richmond was a crack shot and an avid hunter. He and his sons hunted, captured and tamed wild horses and farmed the land on their five hundred acre ranch.
Richmond and Lilla celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary in 1930 with over two hundred and fifty friends and relatives in attendance. Richmond died at home in 1944 and Lilla remained on the ranch until 1955 when she went to live with her daughter, Mrs. Marian Giovannoni in San Mateo. She died Nov. 1961, at the age of ninety-nine.
The Logans left their mark in Shasta County as follows:
Logan Ferry. A public ferry operated 1878-1890 near the south end of Bear creek in the Balls Ferry area.
Logan and Wise Foundry. The building built for a foundry by the Logans. The Logan and Wise Foundry was located on Front St. in Cottonwood. It has now been designated as a Historical landmark and is so designated by a marker on the existing building.
Logan Butte/Logan Lake/Logan Mountain. Site of the summer pasture for
3 generations of logan cattlemen located northeast of old station near
Logan Road. A road intersecting Old 44 Drive near Palo Cedro, named for Ralph Logan the former owner of the, property prior to development.
Lilla Lane. Named for Lilla Logan, farmer.
Source: Shasta Historical Society