Jessie Elizabeth Murphey was born May 3, 1900 in Ono, California, to Charles and Nellie Beebe Murphey. Jessie had two brothers and three sisters. They grew up on the ranch near Ono. Her parents had cows, pigs and turkeys, and they also raised wheat. The Murphey children attended the Bald Hills School. They walked to school.
George and Jessie met at a dance
in the Watson Gulch School. They had about a two year courtship and were
married at the Methodist Church in Redding, September 6, 1919. They had
|Faye A. Williams
||b. June, 1920
||m. Erle Shoup
m. Lowell McDannold
m. Ernest Pasero
They built a house, barn, garage and other out buildings. Jessie said in later years the time spent at the homestead were the happiest days of her life. The Cowdens lived next door to the Cow Camp. When the Cowdens moved to Ono the Williams family bought their ranch. After the house in Cow Camp burned, George and Jessie remodeled the Cowden house and added new outbuildings and made that their home.
In 1936 George and Jessie began annual leases of Deerlick Springs (Comb's Springs) from Russell T. Joy family of Philadelphia. Each summer they opened the store after the cattle were in the mountains. They managed the hot mineral baths, campsites and the store. They hauled supplies in their Chevrolet pickup from Redding and Weaverville. These were long, demanding times, taking care of the cattle and operating the Springs. They had many weekend campers in large numbers as well as people who came to spend more time and bathe in the mineral water. The season ended in late September. Every winter the lease for Deerlick Springs had to be renegotiated for the next season. In February 1954, while on this annual trip, George had a heart attack and died. Jessie continued to run the cattle and Deerlick Springs until the early 1960s. Eventually Jessie sold the lease on Deerlick Springs (the resort is still in operation); later she sold the cattle and the ranch in Platina. In 1964 Jessie married Fred Burgess. Jessie lived in her home on the Sacramento River in Anderson until her death in 1976.
Source: Shasta Historical Society - Aug. 2004