Moore, Sydney C.
|Company 1905, CCC, was organized on May 29, 1933, at Mad
River Camp in the Eureka District. It was moved to Camp Hawkins Bar F-33
on November 4, 1935, where, on April 1, 1936, upon disbandment of the Eureka
District, it was transferred to the Redding District, which, in turn, was
disbanded on October 31, 1937, whereupon Company 1905 became a part of
the Medford District. The company has had 28 different officers, four contract
surgeons, six camp educational advisers, seven project superintendents,
a large number of Forest Service foremen, and more than 1,000 enrollees.
Camp Hawkins Bar has been justly celebarted for the attractive landscape
gardening and appearance of its campsite, grounds, and buildings. Near
the entrance arch of rough-hewn fragrant moss-covered cedar logs stands
the flagpole, 85 feet above ground, higher and straighter even than the
great Douglas fir at the entrance by the central flower beds, and near
the boxing ring and outdoor gymnasia by the roadside. The lines of the
buildings are softened by live oak and other species of deciduous trees,
evergreens, and madrone heath shrubs.
Members of Company 1905 have built several bridges, four of them major
structures, one of them (the Salyer Bridge) the highest ever constructed
as an ECW project. Another record achievement was the construction of the
first rotary fish-screen built in California; another was the 23-mile Trinity
Summit Truck Trail. Another Hawkins Bar record was claimed by a Company
925 crew, while that company occupied this camp, for rapid construction
of a difficult truck trail assignment.
Among other accomplishments of Company 1905 on the Mad River and the
Hawkins Bar projects have been the construction of 126 miles of new telephone
lines, plus 412 miles of maintenance; 69 miles of new roads, and 371 miles
of maintenance; the building of the Van Duzen Ranger Station and the East
Fork Camp Ground, other camping structures and facilities, together with
several acres cleared for camping purposes. Fighting forest fires has accounted
for 3,926 man days out of Camp Hawkins Bar alone; while 2,010 stand-by
man days of fire presuppression, building of four lookout houses, two lookout
towers, clearing of eleven acres of land and many miles of fire trails
have provided additional assurance against the menace of forest fires.
Water systems have been installed, with 7,500 feet of pipe lines, construction
of two 3,000-galion water tanks, repairs and upkeep. Rodent control, over
10,000 acres treated, poisonous plant eradication, seed collection, fish
planting, and several other important projects have been accomplished by
crews of skilled workers.
A typical emergency was met from February 10 to 13, 1937, when the inhabitants
of the Denny community were snowbound, in danger of suffering from starvation
and lack of medical attention. For his courage and fortitude with a rescue
crew of four men Leader Howard Benninghoven won special commendation and
citation in the Redding District's recognition of outstanding enrollees.
With a bulldozer they cleared a 20-mile snow covered mountain road until
contact was made with the Denny community. Benninghoven worked 16 hours
at a shift, including all of the last night until 7:30 A.M., February 13th.
Distinction in sports has been common in the company, too, including a
recent Redding District boxing championship.
At present most of the members of Camp Hawkins Bar hail from Los Angeles,
San Francisco, Oakland, Eureka, their suburbs and neighboring towns. While
some of the men are from local communities, very few live on farms or ranches.
Many have been transferred from disbanded Ninth Corps companies. Otherwise,
at the beginning of enrollment periods, the larger groups of men have reported
for duty from Fort McDowell, Fort Winfield Scott, and Fort Funston.
Company commanders have included: John R. Thornton, Captain, Cav. (commanding
officer of the original advance cadre); James P. Abbott, Ist Lieut., Cav.-Res.;
R. D. McGinnis, Lieut. (JG) USN; Ray E. Caughey, Ist Lieut., Inf.-Res.;
A. F. Dessureault, Capt., QM- Res.; Mark E. Thomas, Capt., FA-Res.; John
C. Lowry, Capt., Inf.-Res.; William A. Seddon, Capt., Inf.-Res.; Matthew
Santino, Ist Lieut., CA-Res.; Philip B. Foote, Ist Lieut., Air-Res.; Hardy
Smith, Capt., QM-Res., and Raymond Holtzman, Capt., Inf.-Res.
Captain Hardy Smith resumed command of the company on September 9, 1937.
Adjutant is Ist Lieut. Theodore H. Ebbett, Inf.-Res.; Contract Surgeon
(FT) is Thomas G. Mitchell, M.D.; Camp Educational Adviser is Celian Ufford.
The Forest Service staff includes: Hurston S. Buck, Project Superintendent,
and Foremen George Burger, Clein Bussell, Fred Everest, Norman Vernon,
and Truck Trail Locater William Fraser.
Mitchell, Thomas G. Dr. - Camp Surgeon
Smith, Hardy Capt. - QM-Res. Commanding Officer
Tabor, Raymond E. - CEA
Buck, Hurston S. - Project Superintendent
Burger, George L
Vernon, Norman S.