AMERICAN FILM COMPANY.
and vicinity furnish the incidental scenery and background for one of
largest industries - the manufacture of motion picture films.
In July, 1912, the American Film
Company established its studio at
and beginning with only one company of players has developed a plant now
employing from eleven to thirteen companies, and has a payroll amounting
to thousands of dollars weekly.
The continued presence of the American
Film Company at
is due to the fact that that city and surrounding country offers
practically every scenic location necessary for making pictures
adaptable to almost every situation and subject.
There are mountains and sandy beaches, noted hotels and homes
that range from the old adobes of
days to the beautiful estate of millionaires.
In recent months President Samuel S.
Hutchinson of the American Film Company has inaugurated construction
work at the local studio which will make the plant, long noted for its
efficiency, one of the most complete in the world.
The local manager of the industry at
is Mr. P. G. Lynch. At the
present time the American Film Company is the second largest consumer of
film in the world.
BLANCHARD, NATHAN W.
The year 1854 marked the coming of
Nathan Weston Blanchard to the State of
He was then in his early twenties and the spirit of the then
practically unknown West called to him as it has done since with
countless young men who have had dreams of ambition.
In his case, as in many of theirs, his dreams were realized, and
in the years that have passed Mr. Blanchard has built up a position and
and the state that any man might envy.
His activities have ranged through mining and lumbering to
ranching and miller, and later he realized a tremendous success in the
fruit growing enterprise.
All his ventures have been creditable to him in their respective
successes, and he has earned undeniably the quiet life he is enjoying in
these later years.
Nathan W. Blanchard was born in
and he is the son of Merrill and Eunice (Weston) Blanchard.
The father was a native of
born in the Town of
and was the son of Dean Blanchard and the grandson of Capt. Thomas
Blanchard. Both these
gentlemen, as well as the two preceding ancestors, were natives of
so that the Blanchard family may properly be considered as a product of
Tracing the family history back to its
origin one finds the Blanchards in France, and the ancestor of the
subject was a Huguenot, who, driven from his native land, took refuge in
Thomas Blanchard came from
in 1639 and it will be found that the greater number of New England
Blanchards found throughout the country name that worthy gentleman as
their common ancestor.
Thomas Blanchard in 1651 purchased a farm of 200 acres at Mystic-Side,
and died in 1664. One of
his sons, John, born
March 27, 1660,
was an ancestor of Nathan W. Blanchard.
The Blanchards entered early into the
manufacturing activities of
and down to the present time they have occupied places in that industry.
They have been machinists, investors and operators and to them is
due a great deal of credit for the introduction of many labor saving
inventions in the manufacturing field.
Eunice (Weston) Blanchard was born in
in the year 1804, and was the daughter of Deacon Benjamin Western, who
was born in
in 1772. She married
Merrill Blanchard and became the mother of eight children, of whom three
sons and three daughters lived to adult years.
Nathan W. Blanchard was the first child in order of birth.
His father, for the most of his life was a tavern keeper, as well
as a farmer, and from his earliest life Nathan was kept busily employed
in the work attendant upon the farm and the various duties pertaining to
keeping a tavern in
His schooling was limited to the usual three-month schools,
winter and summer, supplemented by some schooling in private schools,
which taught a little more than the three R’s.
When he was seventeen years of age an
academy was built in Houlton, the county seat of
This he says was one of the greatest joys of his life, as it
offered him the opportunity of fitting for college, which he did in
three years’ time, teaching in the meantime two winter schools, and
working one summer on the farm.
in 1851. Having no
assistance and teaching three schools during the freshman and Sophomore
years, he was forced to come to California in 1854 where he thought he
could earn enough money in a couple of years to renew his studies.
He failed badly in this purpose for
after two years of hard labor, misfortune and the treachery of partners,
he was heavily in debt and it had the effect of changing the whole
course of his life. The
first ten years in California he was engaged in the meat or butchering
business, first for three or four years on the Iowa Hill Divide where he
was in charge of various markets for his employers, Kneeland & Wilcoxson,
who were cattle men. In
1858 he went to Dutch Flat to take charge of the market there, after
which he became a partner and continued in this relation until 1864.
He went east but soon returned and
engaged in the lumber business with Towle Brothers in Dutch Flat
continuing for seven years.
The state offered excellent opportunities to enterprising men at that
time in that especial field, and up to 1872 he carried on extensive
lumbering operations, with a success that marked every branch of
business activity to which he gave his attention.
While on his wedding trip Mr. Blanchard
in the spring of 1865, after the two great dry years, and road with
three gentlemen from the North from
and up the
of the South, as far as the Sespe.
Not one head of stock was to be seen and the grass was nearly as
high as the wagon wheels.
The view greatly impressed him so that afterwards when he became
acquainted with Mr. E. B. Higgins, on the steamer from Sam Francisco to
Santa Barbara and learned that he wished to sell part of his interest in
his land and sheep, Mr. Blanchard purchased a half interest in both the
Santa Paula tract and in the sheep.
After six months’ association with Mr.
Higgins, he bought the latter’s remaining half interest in land and
sheep and sold the same to Mr. E. L. Bradley of
The latter was a rich man in that day and was one of Mr.
Blanchard’s neighbors in Dutch Flat.
He only visited the Santa Paula ranch three or four times in his
life. He died in 1884.
In the fall of 1873 Mr. Blanchard
commenced building a flouring mill, cleaning up and improving the tract
of land and for twelve years following furnished most of the flour
consumed in the county. He
took the premium in
on flour over the Los Angeles Flour Mill.
The location of the flouring mill in
connected with the water privileges of Santa Paula Creek suggested and
called for a town or village, which he located and adopted for it, the
Messrs. Hardison and Stewart came to
in the interest of oil development, and other oil men followed them.
These men were the originators of the Union Oil Company, Mr.
Hardison, Mr. McKevitt and Mr. Blanchard were the three men responsible
for the building of the
which was afterwards given to the district as a high school.
Mr. Blanchard did the work of soliciting the money and
superintending the construction of the building.
The history of the orchard is
interesting because it is anomalous.
Mr. Clark, a nursery man of
in 1874 arranged with Mr. Blanchard to plant about 100 acres in oranges.
The trees were raised from the seed of
oranges and brought from
They were planted in the spring of 1874 and it took fourteen
years of continuous cultivation and irrigation to bring the orchard into
a sufficient bearing condition to pay the running expense.
The year 1889 was the first remunerative year, an experience
which surprised the scientists and has no equal in the state- in the
fact that it took so many years to bring the seedling orange tree to a
profitable bearing condition.
When the trees did bear they produced oranges of exceptional
quality. The trees were
very productive for many years until they were cut back and budded into
late oranges. A portion of
the orchard was budded into lemons at an early date so that Mr.
Blanchard was a pioneer in both the orange and lemon business in the
In recent years Mr. Blanchard has lived
a quiet life, practically retired from all active business, but keeping
up a wholesome interest in the affairs of his town, county and state.
His home is delightfully situated in the community he founded
many years ago, and with which he has been largely identified in its
improvement and general development.
Always Mr. Blanchard has manifested a
genuine enthusiasm for the educational interests of the community, and
he served for some years as a trustee of the local schools.
Mr. and Mrs. Blanchard gave to the City
a memorial for their first born, Dean Hobbs Blanchard, a magnificent
public library comprehending a gift of $13,294.38.
Ground for the building was broken in December, 1908; the
building was completed
July 31, 1909,
and the interior was finished in September 1909.
The style is Greek Ionic and the structure is one of the most
attractive in the city.
Mrs. Blanchard is at present president of the library trustees.
The name of the library is “Dean Hobbs Blanchard Memorial
The citizens of the city through its
first library board presented Mr. and Mrs. Blanchard with a most
magnificent printed and illustrated appreciation of their generosity and
public spirit, and it is something that Mr. and Mrs. Blanchard regard as
amongst their greatest treasures.
Mr. Blanchard is, one might say, a
life-long republican. He
has always been a sturdy supporter of the party, and he has never failed
to assume political responsibilities when to him it seemed best.
While in Placer County he served two years as district collector,
and was later elected to the State Legislature, serving during the
session of 1862-3 when the building of the Central Pacific Railroad was
in augurated and while Stanford was both governor of the state and
president of the railroad, Mr. Blanchard was one of the charter members
of the Central Pacific Railroad and is probably now, 1916, the only
living charter member. At a
still later period he declined a nomination to the Legislature, though
nomination at that time insured election.
While serving in the Legislature he was a member of the Committee
on Education, when a new school law was enacted and he was the author of
a bill that became a law, wiping out an evil that had made the state
notorious for year - that is, the practice of permitting bands of
dancing girls of questionable order to periodically visit the mining
towns, where they made the saloons their headquarters and helped
generally to make the mining towns undesirable places in many respects.
A member of the Masonic fraternity, Mr.
Blanchard has taken practically all degrees, is past commander of the
Knights Templar of Ventura, and has been presented with the past
master’s jewel, by his brother past masters of his lodge.
Was a charter member both at Dutch Flat and in
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and owns a badge for fifty years
continuous membership. His
religious affiliations have long been with the Congregational Church.
He was one of the committee selected by the association of
churches to select a place for a college, which is located at Clairmont
and is known as
He has been a trustee from the beginning up to date.
Mr. Blanchard returned to his eastern
home in the autumn of 1864 on a visit and there he married Miss Ann
Elizabeth Hobbs on the 21st day of December of that year.
She was born in
and is the daughter of Wilson Hobbs, a life-long resident of
Two daughters and three sons were born of their union: Dean
Hobbs, Sarah Eliot, Eunice Weston, Nathan Weston Jr. and Thomas Goodwin.
DOLAN, CHARLES I.
One of the important factors in the
growth and prosperity of
is the comfortable Los Alamos Hotel, whose genial proprietor is Charles
I. Dolan. Mr. Dolan has had
a wide acquaintance and experience in business affairs in this section
and having made his own way in the world he is thoroughly deserving of
that esteem paid him by his fellow citizens.
He was born in
October 1, 1874,
a son of William and Hortense (Bernard) Dolan.
Both parents are now deceased and the father having also been a
Up to the age of twelve years Charles
I. Dolan attended the public schools of
He came to California then, first living in San Francisco and
later in San Luis Obispo where he was employed in the hotel conducted by
Mr. Frederick for six or seven years.
That was the foundation of his experience as a hotel man.
Removing to Santa Maria Mr. Dolan established and conducted for
ten years the original grill, and the people of that section have a
grateful memory of this enterprise as conducted by Mr. Dolan.
He next became associated with three
other gentlemen in opening the Sisquoc merchandise store and was its
manager for three and a half years.
In June, 1915, Mr. Dolan came to
and opened his present hotel.
He is affiliated with Santa Maria Lodge
No. 10 of the Knights of Pythias, with the Santa Barbara Lodge No. 613
of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and is popular in these
fraternities and in every community where he has lived in
San Luis Obispo
he married Miss Mary Arillanes, a daughter of J. B. and Francisca
Arillanes. Mrs. Dolan was
and received her education there.
They are the parents of two children: Nellie, aged ten, and Larna,
MOTT, DAVID W. (M.D.)
While Doctor Mott has for thirty years
been one of the leading physicians and surgeons of
his activities and services could not be classified altogether under one
head or profession. He has
been foremost in business affairs, has been public spirited and generous
in his support of public movements and in every way has borne more than
his individual share of the responsibilities connected with the progress
and history of this county.
Doctor Mott was born at
He is a son of George and Sarah (Marvin) Mott.
He has one brother, George T. Mott residing in Camas,
who is by profession a chemist in the manufacture of paper.
His father was a prominent man in the East.
Born In Alburgh,
Grand Isle County,
January 24, 1806,
he received his education and spent his early youth in his native state.
He was sheriff of his county, and for a
time was United States Collector of Customs in the Lake Champlain
District. He was also
prominent in military (preparedness) affairs and was an officer in the
Vermont State Militia.
In the early
’40’s removing to
he engaged in farming and the lumber business.
In 1857 he was elected Member of Assembly in the New York
Legislature. In 1870 he ran
for Congress against William A. Wheeler, of
who was the successful candidate and who later became vice president of
on the ticket with Rutherford B. Hayes.
As a young man Doctor Mott lacked
neither the encouragement at home nor the advantages of the best schools
to equip himself for a place of adequate service in the world.
His mother had been one of the
popular school teachers, and she frequently wrote articles of accepted
merit for the publications of those days.
From both parents example and inspiration were abundant.
He attended public school, the
where he graduated in 1872, then spent two years in
in a scientific course, and from there entered the
from which he was graduated in the medial course in 1881.
He engaged in private practice at
until 1886, in which year he came to
Doctor Mott has always been a keen
student of his profession and the summer of 1893 he spent in the
post-graduate medical schools and hospitals of
He frequently visits centers of medical learning to keep in touch
with the progress of his profession.
The local profession has always held
him in high honor and at three different times he has served as
president of the Ventura County Medical Society.
He is a member of the California State Medical Society and of the
American Medical Association.
After getting well established in his
Doctor Mott took an active interest so far as his professional duties
would permit in both business and civic affairs.
Since 1885 he has been a stockholder
and director in the First National Bank of
He is also a director and vice president of the Santa Paula
Savings Bank. In 1890 with
others he was active in starting the Santa Paula Building and Loan
Association and was its vice president during the first twelve years of
its existence, and for the past fifteen years has been president of this
very prosperous institution which has contributed to the building of
hundreds of homes in Ventura County and now has assets of over $500,000.
In 1910 he was elected on the
republican ticket for a term of two years to the State Assembly, and in
1912 he was elected state senator for a term of four years, representing
counties at the capital in
During his services as a legislator
Senator Mott was a member of many important committees including
Finance, Banking, Building and Loan Associations, Agriculture and
Horticulture, Irrigation, Roads and Highways, Oil Industries, Hospitals
and Asylums, Health and Quarantine, Taxation, Universities, etc.
He was chairman of the Committees on Building and Loan
Associations, Irrigation, and Oil Industries.
He was author of much of the most needed horticultural,
irrigation, general business and humanitarian legislation that was
written into the state’s statutes during his terms.
Senator Mott is a fluent speaker and
because of his ready expression of original thought is often called upon
the address audiences on popular subjects in various parts of the state.
At the close of the last session of the
Legislature, Senator Mott received a letter from the San Francisco
Merchants and Manufacturers Association of which any man may be
pardonably proud, and which must give satisfaction to those who placed
him in office. We here copy
the closing paragraph of this commendable tribute:
“There are no words at our command to
express to you our gratefulness for your general conduct and energy in
the Legislative Session just closed.
We believe you have been a true representative and constructive
in your acts for your District and for the State as a whole.
We wish to compliment you most heartily on your truly human
American attitude. We are
yours to command.
“Merchants and Manufacturers Association,
“By Seneca C. Beach, President.”
Doctor Mott was for eighteen years a
trustee of the grammar and high schools of
He is a Knight Templar Mason and Shriner, has served three times
as master of the Masonic lodge at
is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Knights
Doctor Mott married Miss Emma Drown of
They have one child, Arley C. Mott, who has gained distinction as
a musician. Miss Mott is a
graduate of the Los Angeles Conservatory of Music, spent two years in
Postgraduate work in the Washington College of Music at Washington D.
C., and then for two years was a member of the faculty of that in
institution. She has
accompanied some of the country’s best musicians in concert tours of the
Eastern States. Mrs. Mott
has been prominent in club affairs and is greatly interested in
Philanthropic work. She is
president of the Santa Paula Ebell Club which is the largest woman’s
club in the county. She is
interested in the general club work of
She is past matron of the Order of the Eastern Star and has been
district deputy of that organization.
Mrs. Mott is a native of
a daughter of Alexander and Phoebe Drown, an old American family of
Revolutionary stock and of English descent.
One of the pioneer residents of this
widely and favorably known for his participation in various lines of
business. Felix Mattei for
nearly thirty years has been proprietor of a hotel which has entertained
and attracted hundreds of visitors and travelers, and is one of the
landmarks of Los Olivos in
It is known as the Mattei Tavern, and
as such is synonymous with a splendid cuisine and a wonderfully
attractive location. The
hotel is situated in the center of the Santa Ynez Valley, has spacious
grounds around it, and is in the midst of one of the scenic parks of
Besides the main hotel building there are three guest cottages,
and with all the facilities for entertainment the chief feature of this
hostelry is its splendid table, the setting of which Mr. Mattei has
emphasized from the state and that has undoubtedly been the chief factor
in his success as a landlord.
Mr. Mattei was born in Ticino,
September 7, 1854,
and since coming to California has found here much of the beauty and
romance which attaches to his own native mountains.
His parents, both now deceased, were Peter and Adolorata (Soldate)Mattei,
both natives of
His father was a physician by profession.
With an education in the Swiss common
and high schools, Felix Mattei left his native land at the age of
fifteen and some months later arrived at
He was employed in that city one month, lived at Marine about a
year, and then came to
San Luis Obispo
At Cayucos he operated a dairy until 1874, was in similar
business at Guadalupe another year, and in 1879 established himself in
the dairy business independently at Huasna.
He continued dairying in that locality of
San Luis Obispo
until 1884. Returning to
Cayucos he took up the hotel business for a year, and for the following
two years was dealing in horses out of
San Luis Obispo.
Since 1887 Mr. Mattei has been a
prominent resident of Los Olivos.
Here he started the Central Hotel, but in 1908 changed its name
to the Mattei Tavern. Thus
for nearly thirty years he has been the genial and popular host to the
traveling public in this section.
He is also a prominent citizen, and has
served as school trustee, two terms as justice of the peace, and for one
term was deputy county assessor of
San Luis Obispo
In politics he is a republican, is a thirty-second degree Mason,
being affiliated with Al Malakak Temple of the Mystic Shrine, and also
belongs to Lodge No. 613 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
San Luis Obispo,
October 26, 1879,
he married Lucy Fisher, who was born at
a daughter of Joseph F. and Anna Maria (Volz) Fisher.
Her parents brought her to
when she was a baby and she grew up and received her education in
San Luis Obispo.
Mr. and Mrs. Mattei are the parents of the following children:
Francis P. of Los Olivos; Frederick Louis, who married Elaine Spaulding;
Clarence R., an artist living at
Charles C., still at home; an Albert C., who is a student in
HILLER, J. N.
was fortunate in being the home for more than thirty years of the late
J. N. Hiller. Any community
would be better for such a citizen.
He brought with him to
the mature experience and the substantial means of his pioneer
activities as a lumberman, business man and public official in
After coming to
Mr. Hiller was engaged for some years in the real estate business, also
as an undertaker, but he will be longest remembered for the broad and
liberal policies he put into effect as a public spirited citizen.
In January, 1900, he became a member of the first board of water
and in 1905 was elected its president.
He remained in close touch with this public utility, serving
gratuitously until on account of ill health he retired from membership
on the board in 1913. In
1904 he turned the first shovelful of earth in the construction of the
tunnel. Then in 1912 he was
accorded the signal honor of firing the final blast to complete this
monumental municipal enterprise.
Mr. Hiller was born at Pike in
December 23, 1837,
and his long and useful career came to a close with his death at
in his seventy-seventh year.
Up to the age of eighteen he attended public schools and then
spent two years in the Genesee Conference Seminary of the
Following his education he spent two years in teaching in the
winter terms and followed the carpenter trade in the summer seasons.
he went west to
and in that then small city put in a year working in a printing office.
He was one of the noble pioneers of the
Michigan, known as
In March, 1861, he entered the employ of N. Ludington & Company’s
lumber mills on the
He was foreman for that company and a prominent factor in the
lumber industry of the northern woods until 1864.
He became one of the organizers of
in Northern Michigan,
and of the
the county seat. In 1864 he
was elected county treasurer, and removed to Escanaba to take charge of
the office. He filled that
office until 1868, and from 1862 until 1870 was justice of the peace.
In 1866 another public honor was given him as
commissioner, and he performed the important functions of that position
for a number of years. In
the fall of 1868 he engaged in the mercantile business with a partner,
but the following spring bought out his partner and conducted the
business successfully for some years.
He was also agent for the American Express Company.
He was elected to a place on the school board of Escanaba when
the school system was started in 1865, and was a member of the board
continuously for twenty-two years.
In 1866 he became a loyal member of the Masonic order.
In politics he was a democrat.
Mr. Hiller for over twenty-five years
was actively identified with the Royal Arch Chapter and the Knights
Templar Commandery of the Masons in Santa Barbara, and at the time of
his death was serving as recorder of the Commandery and was also past
master, past high priest and past commander in these various branches of
Masonry and also past patron in the Eastern Star.
he was married at
to Julia Langley. Mrs.
Hiller, who still resides in
was born in Stetson,
She is the mother of four children.
Her daughter Myrtie was born April
and died in 1901. Fred,
born in 1864, is a business man of
is a resident of
Earl, born November 24, 1875,
is also of
SMITH, FRANK HENRY
Frequent references in these pages are
made to the industries and activities of the attractive little city of
and it is pleasing to be able to give some brief record of the career of
one of the pioneer citizens of that locality.
Frank Henry Smith has been a resident there for more than thirty
years, and his was one of the first homes built on the townsite.
A resident of
forty years, Frank Henry Smith has progressed from comparative poverty
to one of the substantial men of
He was born in Perry County, Illinois, August 36, 1854, a son of
Horace Porter and Jane (Chandler)
Smith, the former a native of
and the latter of
His father was a carpenter by trade.
After an education in the schools of
Frank H. Smith, at the age of nineteen, came to
He worked for a time on a stock ranch, farmed in the Arroyo
Grande one year, and for two years was employed in
The year of his advent to the Santa
Ynez community was 1882.
Mr. Smith is one of the exemplars of dry farming methods in this
community, and on his fine ranch of 200 acres he has succeeded for many
years in producing bounteous crops of barley, wheat and other grains,
and besides his own farm he leases 300 additional acres.
His success in business has not interfered with a public spirited
share in pubic affairs. He
is now serving his third term as a school trustee and is a member of the
republican county central committee.
Fraternally he is identified with the Knights of Pythias.
In passing some tribute should be paid
to the late Mrs. Smith, who was one of the pioneer women of Santa Ynez
and a thoroughly beloved character, not only on account of her gracious
personality but because of her constant spirit of helpfulness in the
neighborhood. She was
almost constantly engaged in some practical charity which she performed
in the most unostentatious manner, but those who were helped remember
with gratitude the beneficence of her life as she went in and out in the
community. Mrs. Smith’s
maiden name was Rosie C. Preston.
She was born in Casterville, a daughter of E. J. and Nancy A.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith were married in
October 23, 1882,
and at the time of their marriage started housekeeping in the new
of Santa Ynez.
Mrs. Smith passed away
September 22, 1915.
She and Mr. Smith a few days before her death started on a
camping trip to the mountains.
She was thrown from her horse and received injuries from which
died in the camp a few days later.
Mr. Smith has the following children:
Nellie C., who married Samuel McMurray, and is the mother of two
children, Mildred and Howard; Irene, who married William Quinn; and
Glenna, wife of William Burhans.
BARNES, PETER G.
Peter G. Barnes has been an active
factor in the
for a number of years, and his business and his influence count for much
in that community.
Clay County, Illinois,
September 8, 1861,
a son of Pheland G. and Margaret J. (Green) Barnes, he grew up on his
father’s farm in
and attended the common schools.
On leaving home he went to
spending two years in that vast
commonwealth working in different
sections, and from there came west to
He was at
one year, and then began learning the blacksmith’s trade at
Since his apprenticeship he has made blacksmithing his regular
vocation, but for several years he traveled as a journeyman blacksmith,
covering most of the southwestern and middle states and was engaged in
black-smithing, railroading and other lines of work.
In 1907 Mr. Barnes returned to
and located in Ballard, where he has since conducted the chief
blacksmithing and iron working establishment, and with a growing
patronage and prosperity.
He is an active member of the Knights of Pythias.
In June, 1895, Mr. Barnes married Edith
He is the father of two children: Charles E. and Gladys M., wife
of William Snyder.
JONES, RICHARD D.
Beginning life under adverse
circumstances, upon the lower rung of the ladder of attainments, Richard
D. Jones, proprietor of the leading eating house in
has made diligent use of his faculties and opportunities, and by
untiring energy and close application to the work in which he might be
engaged, has met with good success in his ventures.
He was born in
a son of Thomas and Ann Jones.
Brought up on a farm in
Richard D. Jones had very limited educational advantages as a lad.
February 12, 1898,
at the age of twenty without a cent he started at $20 per month at Van
Nuy’s Hotel, filling every position to steward, serving there in the
latter capacity for seven consecutive years.
Coming from there to Santa Barbara, Mr. Jones was here steward at
the Potter Hotel for seven years, gaining much knowledge and a wide
experience that has since proved most useful to him.
Starting in business for himself, he opened a cafeteria at
916 State Street,
May, 1913, and is conducting it with most satisfactory pecuniary
results, having won a generous patronage among the traveling public and
the city dwellers, more
especially among those people who recognize and appreciate prompt
service, and cleanly, hygienic conditions. Mr. Jones is energetic and
enterprising, and on July
20, 1915, enlarged
his operations by opening a dairy lunch room in connection with a first
class bakery, since made famous for its pies, cakes, bread, etc., which
he is managing with characteristic success, his many customers being
highly pleased with the good food served, and with the prompt and
careful attention each one receives.
Mr. Jones married in June 1907, in
Miss Pauline Keiser, and they have one son, Richard M. Jones.
Apparently every business enterprise
and activity of Mr. Justus C. Fast has been prospered, and he is one of
the large property owners of
and a very prominent rancher in that county.
His position in the community is not due alone to his material
interests, since he is a citizen of the finest public spirit and is
noted for his generosity and helpfulness in every movement for the
Though a resident of this section of
California nearly all his life, Mr. Fast was born near Pella, Iowa,
1872, a son of
Salathiel and Margaret (Hill) Fast.
His father was born in
and his mother in
When Justus was two years of age the parents moved to
were on a ranch there for many years, and are now both living retired in
The public schools of
gave Justus C. Fast his early education until he was about seventeen
years of age. After a brief
experience in the LaPatera mines he was in the cigar business at
from 1894 to 1896, and in the latter year returned to
and bought nineteen acres which he has developed as a fine fruit and
agricultural farm. He also
conducts a cigar business and pool room at State and Haley streets in
his place of business being in the
which he owns, and the greater part of which he leases for business
purposes. His home is on
his ranch at
Mr. Fast is a republican and a member
of the Knights of Pythias.
July 17, 1901,
he married Miss Angeline J. Kellogg, a daughter of P. E. and Sarah (Montgomery)
Kellogg. They are the
parents of two children: Norval C. and Marian Angeline.
The business activities of Joseph
Guidotti would classify him as one of the pioneers in the daily industry
He has had a long and successful experience as a dairyman, and
conducts one of the largest institutions of that kind at
December 1, 1865,
a son of Peter and Mary Guidotti, he had a thorough training in the
dairy methods which have been developed to so high a degree of
perfection by the Swiss people.
He attended the public schools of his native land until he was
fourteen, and thereafter was employed on dairy farms until he came to
at the age of eighteen.
he worked as a farm hand two years, and in 1889 with his cousin Peter
Guidotti established a dairy farm at
In 1893 Joseph bought out his partner, continued alone in the
for four years, and then removed to Casmalia, where he conducted a fine
dairy farm for twelve years.
In 1909 he transferred his location to
and the extent of his business can be understood by the fact that he
employs about 3,000 acres of rented land as grazing land and for the
purpose of growing feed for his herd.
He and his cousin Peter Guidotti also own a 200-acre dairy ranch
and farm at
In 1894, at Lampoc, Mr. Guidotti
married Miss Mary Guidotti.
Mrs. Guidotti died in 1905 leaving the following children: Elverzio,
Romalda, Albert, Cora and Lillian.
For his second wife Mr. Guidotti returned to
and in 1906 married Theresa Guidotti.
GUIDOTTI, PETER .
With the skill, experience and energy
of such men as Peter Guidotti the dairy industry has made great progress
in Santa Barbara County and Mr. Guidotti is one of the most prominent
men in that business in this section of California.
He spent his early life in a country
famed for its milk products, having been born in
His parents were Louis and Theresa Guidotti.
He attended the public schools of
until he was fourteen and thereafter was employed on dairy farms and
vineyards of his native land until the age of twenty.
Coming to the
to seek his fortune, Mr. Guidotti located in
and remained there until 1898.
His next location was at Gaviota, where renting some land from
the Hollister estate he established a dairy farm.
He introduced some first class stock, and with the success of
that enterprise was encouraged to move to
in 1907. Here he
established one of the largest dairies of
and has been conducting it in a highly prosperous manner ever since.
He rents 3,000 acres.
In partnership with his cousin J. Guidotti he also owns a
200-acre dairy farm near
but that is under the management of a tenant.
in January, 1890, he married Miss Louisa Guidotti.
Their children are named Alfred, Lewis Alfonse, Claudina, Josie
TEAGUE, CHARLES C.
is a familiar rhetorical flourish often employed to signify the extent
or of an individual man’s interests and travels therein.
It also serves in this particular case to describe the progress
of Mr. Charles C. Teague from birth to the present time.
He was born at Caribou,
but since early manhood has found his home and interests in
To those familiar with the citrus and
nut growing industries of
the name of Charles C. Teague needs no introduction.
He has been one of the most aggressive leaders in the
co-operative movement which has been developed to its highest point of
for the purpose of marketing fruit crops.
Mr. Teague is an old and experienced fruit grower, and as a
business man ranks among the foremost in the state.
His parents were Milton D. and Clara
(Collins) Teague. His
father, who was born in Caribou, Maine, in 1849, was educated and became
a merchant there, but in 1880 brought his family to the Middle West and
at Salina, Kansas, organized the First National Bank, of which he was
cashier and manager until about two years before coming to California.
In 1893 he completed the journey which
he had begun on the Atlantic side of our country and arrived in
His death occurred in this state in August of that year.
Charles C. Teague received his early
education chiefly in the schools of
at Salina In 1893 he came with his father and mother to
and spent one year working in the orchards of N. W. Blanchard.
While Mr. Teague is not “to the manner born” in
he is today as prominently identified with some of its horticultural
operations, more particularly as a lemon grower, as any other man in the
His first independent venture on
leaving the Blanchard orchards was with his father in the purchase of
twenty acres near
which he planted in a lemon grove and which is still in the possession
of the family. His intimate
knowledge of fruit growing and his executive ability have brought him
many large interests. In 1896 he was made manager of the Santa Paula
Horse and Cattle Company.
He also took the management of W. L. Hardison’s extensive interests in
and managed them until Mr. Hardison gradually sold his holdings there.
In 1898 Mr. Teague was made vice
president and general manager of the Limonera Company, which at that
time owned 412 acres planted in lemons.
In 1907, when 100 acres of this lemon grove were nipped by the
frost, the acreage was replanted in walnuts.
In 1906 the company bought the Oliveland Ranch, comprising of
2,300 acres. Of this 600
acres are planted in lemons, 500 acres in hay, 240 acres in English
walnuts, and the rest in grazing land. The company employs an average of
300 men continuously, and during the last season shipped 400 carloads of
lemons. Mr. Teague has the
active management of one of the largest lemon groves in the world, and
the high degree of success which has come to the company can safely be
credited to Mr. Teague more than to any other individual.
The Limonera Company is of such
that it deserves more than incidental description.
From an article which appeared in the California Citrograph in
December, 1915, are taken some facts which are of general interest to
all the people of
The Limonera Company was organized by Nathan W. Blanchard and N.
L. Hardison in 1892 and the first plantings to lemons were made in 1893,
the original grove consisting of 260 acres of lemons, which at the time
came near being the world’s record for one orchard.
This was the nucleus of the great Limonera orchards, which have
since been developed under Mr. Teague’s management until there are now
900 acres in lemons, of various ages.
The Limonera properties lie along the foothills four miles west
The company has private wells available for irrigation, and also
has 200 inches of water from the farmers’ ditch.
There is every facility for the handling and care of the trees,
including fumigation and spraying outfits.
The Limonera brands are justly famous, and are shipped and
marketed through the California Fruit Growers Exchange.
The principal brands are “Selected,” “Loma,””Bridal Veil” and
“White Cross.” A special
characteristic of these lemons is their fine keeping quality, and this
and other reasons account for the premium of from 50 to 75 cents per box
which the Limonera brands command in the markets.
The company has about $90,000 invested
in “frost insurance.” About
65,000 oil heaters are used in the groves, averaging about 112 pots to
the acre in the full grown orchards.
The system was so complete that in 1913, when the frost destroyed
many of the
groves, the company shipped a large crop.
To furnish oil for the heaters the company has two great cement
reservoirs with a capacity of 100,000 gallons each and also two
5,000-barrel tanks, located on the higher ground, from which oil flows
by gravity to the orchards.
Not only is the equipment as nearly perfect as any, but there is a
complete discipline of the forces of men in the employ of the company,
and when frost threatens a small army are available to keep the pots
burning and regular reports are made from all sections of the grove by
telephone to the central offices.
The land now used by the Limonera
Company was formerly bean growing land, and only two or three men were
required to handle the crop of beans, whereas now several hundred are
continuously employed in the lemon groves, and the value of the crop
taken from the orchards is proportionately as many times more valuable
as the old crop of lima beans.
The officers of the Limonera Company
are: N. W. Blanchard, president; C. C. Teague, vice president and
general manager; N. W. Blanchard, Jr., secretary; R. L. Churchill,
treasurer and sales manager.
The directors are N. W. Blanchard, Sr., N. W. Blanchard, Jr., A.
C. Hardison, Guy Hardison and C. C. Teague.
When Mr. Teague took the management of
the Limonera Company eighteen years ago the methods were crude and he
developed the method of curing lemons which is largely used throughout
the state. It is known as
“The Tent System.” The
Limonera ranch has been an experimental farm for many years, and has
tried out and developed the best methods of growing, curing and packing
lemons. Under Mr. Teague’s
management the ranch has become a sort of mecca for fruit growers all
over California, and these growers come every year or so for the purpose
of studying the improvements in production and packing.
Mr. Teague is now president of the
First National Bank of Santa Paula, president and manager of the Teague
McKevett Company, which owns 200 acres of lemon orchards; is general
manager of the Santa Paula Waterworks; general manager of the Thermal
Belt Walter Company. He is
a Mason, a member of the Los Angeles Athletic Club and a republican
In November, 1897, Mr. Teague married
Miss Harriet McKevett of
daughter of C. H. McKevett, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this
volume. They have three
children: Alice, attending the Santa Paula High School; Milton M., now
fourteen years of age and a student in the public schools; and Charles
M., aged seven.
It is one thing to grow fine products
and yet another to realize a profitable return on them.
Getting the value is strictly the results of co-operation on the
part of growers. For many
years, Mr. Teague has given much of his time to developing and
perfecting the co-operative organization, particularly the California
Walnut Growers Association.
He was largely instrumental in bringing this organization, of which he
has been and is now president.
This association markets about 70 per cent of all the walnuts
It is the parent organization with twenty-two local associations
which individually gather the nuts direct from the growers, process them
and prepare them for market, leaving to the parent organization the
greater task of distributing and marketing the nuts.
The association not only properly
distributes the nuts so as to provide a good market condition for the
crop, but also markets the products at cost.
Last year it saved to the growers nearly $100,000 market charges
alone, besides making stable market condition.
Walnuts are standardized and shipped
under one brand, and the twenty-two unit associations pack and ship
under the supervision of the parent company.
The nuts are standardized under a uniform grade and packed under
the brand of the parent association.
They are sold direct to grocers in the East, who deal direct with
the trade. As a result of
this arrangement the brokerage has been reduced from 6 to 3 per cent.
They have also been able to establish a “crack” so that brokers
can depend upon 90 per cent good nuts.
As a result the association’s products have a good standing with
the trade, and it has been possible to maintain reasonable prices.
Mr. Teague is also a member and
director of the California Fruit Growers Exchange, which markets the
citrus crop of
The exchange last year marketed 30,000 carloads of oranges and
lemons, and returned $28,000,000 to the growers.
Without these two strictly co-operative growers’ organizations
the citrus and walnut business in
would not be worth the enterprise of the individual growers, since both
crops for a number of years past have been nearing the point of
over-production. It was
necessary to have a large organization which would be in a position to
advertise nationally and keep consumption apace with the production and
to distribute these products properly at all times.
To do this intelligently and successfully requires about as high
an order of business ability as can be found in any big business.
These two organizations are of greatest
importance to the well being of the State of
since the walnut and citrus crops are two of the most important grown in
the state. Mr. Teague has
long recognized that only through the development of these co-operative
agencies could the horticultural and agricultural interests be on a
permanently prosperous basis.
He has given freely of his time to perfect both of the
A popular and well-patronized garage
man, Fred Tunnell is intimately associated with the development and
advancement of the industrial and business interests of his home town,
and is kept busily employed by the many autoists living in this
vicinity, or passing through the town on pleasure or business bent.
He is a native son of
his birth having occurred October 14, 1876,
while his father, Frank Tunnell, who was also of
birth, was born in
Frank Tunnell was the son of Martin
Luther Tunnell, one of the earlier settlers of the
and a pioneer of the
Becoming well versed in agriculture when young, he became a
farmer from choice, and in course of time became owner of considerable
land, and is now successfully operating his home ranch at Los Olivos,
and a large stock ranch in the mountains.
His good wife, whose maiden name was Emma Hopper, was born and
and was likewise of pioneer descent.
Acquiring his preliminary education in
Fred Tunnell completed his early studies in
attending the public schools and
An agricultural career having no charms for him, he sought other
work when young, and for eleven years was in the employ of the Southern
Pacific Railroad Company, beginning as fireman, and later running both
freight and passenger trains between
Severing his connection with that company, Mr. Tunnell was for
four years associated with the oil industry, working in the
Locating then in
he opened an up-to-date garage, putting in all the most approved
equipments and appliances, and is building up an extensive and highly
Mr. Tunnell married,
September 5, 1900,
in Los Alamos,
Miss Cora Hartley, who was born in
a daughter of L. P. Hartley.
Three children have been born of the union of Mr. and Mrs.
James and Muriel.
Fraternally Mr. Tunnell is a member of Hesperian Lodge No. 694, Ancient
Free and Accepted Order of Masons, of
and belongs also to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
GOODENOUGH, EDGAR D.
The numerous land transactions in which
the name of Edgar D. Goodenough has appeared in
his present extensive holdings, his important operations as a citrus
fruit grower and farmer, have made him one of the prominent men of this
section, where he has spent the greater part of his life.
His father O. J. Goodenough was also a
citizen. Born in
February 9, 1836,
he lived in the East until young manhood.
In 1856, going to
he remained there two years and then entered the nursery business.
His next removal was to Magnolia,
where he was employed as a teacher until 1861.
In that year he enlisted for service in the Union army at the
call for three months’ volunteers.
From 1862 to 1863 he was employed as wagon master for the
Government, carrying supplies to various western posts, and having about
sixty Government wagons in the train.
That gave him a practical experience in the freighting business
as then conducted over those vast western territories where as yet no
railroad had appeared. On
leaving the Government service in 1863 he began hauling freight
Salt Lake City
He spent two years in that hazardous occupation and then returned
where once more he taught school for a year.
he was a contractor and builder for three years, and then located on a
farm near Pigeon,
where he lived until 1875.
In that year O. J. Goodenough came west
spent six months as a carpenter, and then removing to Saticoy bought
forty-two acres which he farmed until 1883.
Selling out he moved to the Sespe Grant, bought 320 acres, and
occupied it as a farm and stock ranch until his death,
June 11, 1895.
He also contracted and built some of the first buildings of
Fillmore including the first school building and the first church.
He was a member of the Masonic order and the Order of Foresters
and at one time served as justice of the peace at Saticoy.
Politically he was a republican.
He was one of the organizers and one of the first elders of the
Fillmore Presbyterian Church.
September 6, 1866,
O. J. Goodenough married Miss Zedora Helen Tietsort, a native of
and now residing in Fillmore.
There were five children: Mrs. R. A. Holley and Mrs. Harry W.
Hiller, both of Sespe,
Glen C., deceased; Earle O. of Fillmore and Edgar D. of Santa Paula.
Edgar D. Goodenough, who was born at
Logan, Iowa, August 5, 1868, and was seven years of age when his parents
came to California, gained most of his early education in Ventura
County, when he attended the public schools until 1883.
Following that he was an employe on his father’s ranch and at the
age of eighteen became chain man for the civil engineer engaged in
subdividing the Sespe Rancho.
After one year in that work he put in two years at teaming in the
stone quarry in the Sespe canyon, and was then on his father’s ranch
until 1890. Mr. Goodenough
afterwards worked as an employe on the Kellogg ranch a year, rented
ninety acres on the Sespe for two years, and in 1893 bought seven acres
This land he set out in lemons, and while developing it he also
for thirteen years had the supervision of the citrus groves owned by J.
D. McNab of
In 1896 he bought twenty-two acres on the Sespe, and this land is
devoted to bean culture.
Seventeen acres bought by Mr. Goodenough in 1900 in the Sespe canyon has
since been developed by him, ten acres of the tract being in oranges.
Associated with Mr. Stowe he bought in 1906 eleven acres at
Fillmore, and that has been subdivided and sold under the name of the
Stowe-Goodenough subdivision, which was the first subdivision put on the
market at Fillmore. In 1907
he acquired eighteen acres more on
ten acres of which are now in oranges.
A thirty-acre purchase made in 1908 in the Sespe canyon has been
developed by the planting of twenty acres in lemons, and he has since
sold five acres of the lemon grove.
In the same year he changed his residence from Sespe to
purchasing the home where he now resides at
302 Santa Barbara Street.
In 1909 he and Mr. Leavens of
bought 560 acres near Piru, and this valuable tract is now divided
seventy acres in apricots, seventy acres in lemons, 200 acres in hay,
five acres in alfalfa and the rest in pasture.
His most recent purchases were six acres in the Sespe canyon in
1914 and twenty-two acres on the east side of the Sespe Creek adjoining
other holdings of his, and an apiary located in
Mr. Goodenough served as a member of
the board of city trustees of
from 1910 to 1916, two years of the time as chairman of the board.
He was supervisor of roads at Fillmore from 1903 to 1906.
He is a director of the Fillmore Irrigation Company and with the
exception of two years has been on the board since 1896.
He was also one of the first stockholders of the first newspaper
published at Fillmore. Mr.
Goodenough is a republican, and as a Presbyterian, he was an elder in
the First Presbyterian
Church recommended him as its delegate to the Santa Barbara Prebytery,
which body elected him to act as delegate in behalf of the Fillmore
Church to the General Assembly held in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1906.
Fraternally Mr. Goodenough is a member of the Woodmen of the
In Ventura County February 13, 1890,
he married Miss Mattie Akers.
Mrs. Goodenough is a native of
where she was born while her parents were on their way to
over the ox team route. Her
mother, Mrs. Sarah Akers is still living in
enjoying a vigorous old age.
John Akers, her father, came to
in 1868 and took up government land where the
now runs. This land was
later surveyed into the More Grant, and Mr. Akers with many other
settlers was dispossessed of his holdings.
He then moved down to the Orchard Ranch, where he lived two
years, and then bought land in the Sespe, which he conducted as a farm
and stock ranch until his death on May 6, 1885.
He was one of the first white settlers in
Mr. and Mrs. Goodenough have one son,
Paul, aged twenty-two, who is a successful young rancher in
In 1913 at Bardsdale he married Rosabel Mayhew, a
daughter of M. R. Mayhew of Bardsdale.
They are the parents of an infant son, Dwight, the only
grandchild of Mr. and Mrs. Goodenough.
DABNEY, CHARLES W.
Identifying himself with
in 1912 as a rancher, Mr. Charles W. Dabney is one of the men most
socially prominent in the City of
and all his associations and tastes are such as to give him an
influential position in any community.
He was born at
June 5, 1867,
a son of Samuel W. and Harriet (Webster) Dabney.
From the year 1807 a member of the Dabney family served almost
continuously as an American Consul in the
and that was the position occupied by Mr. Dabney’s father and
He was sent to the
for his education and attended St. Mark’s School in
until about eighteen. He
also had instruction from a private tutor for four years.
After leaving school Mr. Dabney came out to
spent several years ranching in
and then returned to
actively connected with the real estate business until 1912.
In that year he returned to
and has since been ranching in
During his residence in
Mr. Dabney served five years in the state militia.
He is a member of the governing board and secretary of the Santa
Barbara Polo Club, a member of the Santa Barbara County Club and the
Santa Barbara Club. In
October 16, 1899,
he married Lucy Hubbard Russell.
Their two children are Charles W., Jr. and Samuel Russell.
STEELE, HARVEY ROY.
To the eastern mind a ranch of
forty-three acres is not large, but even the eastern mind changes its
view when it takes into consideration that land in the fertile valleys
bring from $1,000 to $2,000 per acre in the open market.
J. Harvey Steele, when he died in 1895, left to his wife and son
a tract of forty-three acres in the
all planted to apricots and all in bearing condition.
It was one of the finest ranges of its kind in the valley, and
still is, having been well kept up to the standard set for it by its
owner when it came into the care of Harvey Roy Steele in recent years.
October 23, 1882,
Harvey Roy Steele is the son of J. Harvey and Katherine (Olmsted)
Steele. The father was a
Missourian, born in
in 1840, and he was reared on his father’s stock farm and educated in
the public schools of his home community.
While still in his teens he crossed the plains in the ‘50s and
found his way to
He settled in
occupied himself with ranching and was identified with ranch life there
until the early ‘70s. It
was then he came to
and he first settled on a tract in the Mission Grant, where he farmed
until 1876. Then, with his
brother, Allan T. Steele, he purchased a tract of 110 acres in the
to apricots and worked up his acreage to a splendid state of
productiveness. When he
died in 1895 he left to his wife and son forty-three acres of the finest
land in the valley.
Two children were born to J. Harvey and
Katherine Steele. One of
them survives. He is Harvey
Roy of this review. He was
thirteen years old when his father died, and his schooling after that
time was limited, for he early took charge of the work of the place, and
has proved himself equal to the task he set himself.
In recent years Mrs. Steele has divided the ranch, and his share
he has planted to walnut trees, a crop that seldom fails in
Mr. Steele is one of the progressive
young men of his community.
He is a democrat in politics, attends the Congregational Church and is
The ability to manage successfully a
farm and ranch is one of the sure means to influential position in
affairs in this section of
By a long experience in the
and also in
Robert Vogel is a master of the various branches of agriculture and
animal husbandry and is also a capable business executive and skilled in
the handling of men and resources.
By hard work and these other
qualifications he is now foreman of the Oak Glenn Ranch of LaPatera in
He was born at
a son of John G. and Alice (Launenberger) Vogel.
When he was a small child his parents removed to the State of
and he lived there and attended the public schools until he was sixteen.
Leaving school he began working on farms, and was employed in the
agricultural district in several sections of the
until 1910. Then following
a year of employment with the city fire department of
he came in 1911 to
Mr. Vogel was employed as a hand on the
Bishop Ranch until 1914, and was then made foreman of Mr. Bishop’s Oak
Glenn Ranch, which comprises 100 acres and is being cultivated
intensively to some of the staple crops of this section.
Mr. Vogel is himself the owner of five
but his is under lease to a tenant.
Politically he is independent.
he married Miss Minnie Erdmann.
They have one child, Margaret Marian.
One of the finest bean and hog ranches
in the vicinity of
is now being conducted by the Smith brothers, James and Charles A., Jr.
Mr. James Smith as well as his brother is a native of
and the family has been long and prominently identified with this part
of the state.
December 8, 1889,
a son of Charles A. and Barbara (Dawson)
Smith, Mr. James Smith grew up in the La Patera district and attended
district schools there until he was fourteen years of age.
A natural genius for mechanics and for farming operations,
together with a thorough training and experience, have afforded good
reasons for Mr. Smith’s success.
After leaving school he worked on a
ranch with his father for three years, and then learned the blacksmith
trade, which he followed in
and Santa Ynez up to 1914.
Then associating himself with his brother Charles he leased 450 acres
and the brothers have carried on their operations on an extensive scale,
their chief crop being beans, and their specialty in livestock being
James Smith is a member of the
Fraternal Brotherhood and Modern Woodmen of America and worships in the
Presbyterian faith. In
he married Miss Constance Saundy.
Mrs. Smith was born in
a daughter of William G. and Emily (Overall) Smith.
To their marriage was born one child, Charles William.
Charles A. Smith, Jr., who is
associated with James Smith in the management of the ranch above
referred to was born in
November 11, 1893.
His schooling at La Patera was concluded when he was about twelve
years of age, and he then found employment for his energies on his
father’s ranch and for about five months attended
He has been associated with his brother James in farming the
450-acre ranch since 1914.
He is still a bachelor and is a member of the Fraternal Brotherhood.
THACHER, EDWARD S.
If anyone can properly be considered an
authority on the history of the citrus fruit industry in the Ojai valley
of Ventura County, it is Edward S. Thacher, who first became interested
in what was then an experimental industry as early as 1887, and has been
one of the chief individual producers of the crop now marketed through
the Ojai Orange Association for twenty-nine years.
In an interesting article contributed
to the California Citrograph in December, 1915, Mr. Thacher reviewed
some of the experiences of the pioneer orange growers in the valley.
He recalls the fact that the original orange grower was a Mr.
Buckman, a school teacher of
who had the hardihood and courage, despite the cynicism of his
neighbors, to plant about six acres in orange trees during the ‘70s.
Mr. Buckman in spite of many difficulties and lack of financial
means demonstrated the fact that the valley could produce oranges of
marked excellence for flavor and general quality.
After Mr. Buckman began sending his fruit to the market and
getting returns, others naturally followed his example, until at the
time Mr. Thacher wrote about 600 acres were planted in oranges in the
entire valley. The Ojai
valley not only produces an orange of splendid quality, but has the
advantage of situation in the matter of frosts, which seldom if ever
have made it necessary to use protective means to safeguard the fruit
from injury. The early crop
of oranges had to be transported over rough roads many miles to the
nearest transportation center at
until the modern era of railroads and improved highways.
The growers also packed and sold their fruit individually, but
for the past five or six years have adopted the advantages of
co-operative handling, and in 1915 the crop from 400 acres, amounting to
over 200 cars, was marketed through the Ojai Orange Association.
It should be noted that Mr.
Thacher was one of the organizers of the association, and is now its
Edward S. Thacker comes of a prominent
family, closely identified with the history of
and he himself has the inclinations to scholarship, though, largely on
account of ill health in his early years, he has lived mostly in the
He was born in
a son of Thomas A. and Elizabeth (Day) Thacher.
His father was a distinguished scholar, was born at
attended local schools there, and graduated from
in 1835. For two years he
taught in the State of
after which he went abroad and spent a number of years in German
universities. On returning
he became professor of Latin at
in 1846 and held a chair in that university nearly forty years until his
death on April
he married for his first wife Elizabeth Day, daughter of Jeremiah Day, a
former president of Yale.
After her death he married
August 1, 1860,
Elizabeth Sherman. Her
father Roger Sherman was prominent in the shipping business and his
father, also Roger Sherman, was one of the signers of the Declaration of
Edward S. Thacher attended the public
schools of his native city until ten years of age, and in 1868 graduated
he was graduated in 1872, and his first experience after leaving college
was as chairman with a railroad surveying crew along the borders between
After a summer spent in that occupation he was a teacher in the
high school at
for a year, and after that went abroad.
His plans and intentions at the time were to become an architect.
he spent two years in the famous Ecole des Beaux Arts and on returning
to New York
was employed in an architect’s office for eight months.
The confining nature of the business and the necessity of living
outdoors, caused him to abandon the profession.
The following six months he spent on a
farm at Concord, Massachusetts, and the following winter he was in the
Catskill Mountains, New York, with James Beecher, a preacher, and a half
brother to the famous Henry Ward Beecher.
The next summer he also spent on a farm at
and realizing that continued health depended upon outdoor occupation, he
decided to take up ranching.
He first investigated
without finding a desirable place to locate, and then developed a cattle
ranch on a large tract of prairie owned by Robbins Battell at
in Ellis County, Kansas, until 1880.
Mr. Battell, who lived at
then employed him to look after his property holdings at
where he remained a year.
Mr. Thacker bought a ranch near
intending to engage in the cattle business and was also land and title
examiner for the Central Loan and Land Company of
In 1887 he came to Southern California
to look out some land for himself, and in April of that year he and T.
S. Krutz and Mr. Leighton bought in partnership ninety acres in the Ojai
valley. About seven acres
of this land had already been planted in apricots and Mr. Tracher
proceeded to set out forty acres in olives.
In July 1887, they bought what was
known as the Buckman Ranch, where Mr. Thacher still lives and which
contains the greater part of his orchard acreage.
In 1904 his brother, Thomas Thacher, of New York, joined him in
the purchase of what is known as the Greene place, lying west of the
Thacher orchard, and also in the purchase of the interests of Mr. Krutz
and Mr. Leighton, in the orchards and lands of the former Buckman Ranch
and other lands adjoining which they had more recently purchased.
Mr. Thacher has since given most of his
time to the management of the orchards and outlying lands.
The orchard planting was increased to about 160 acres planted
chiefly to oranges and grapefruit and he is the largest individual
grower of oranges in the valley.
The Greene place, mentioned above, of 100 acres, already had a
small orchard, but Mr. Thacher has increased it to forty acres in
oranges,but has since sold 25 ½ acres of the orchard, retaining the
balance. In 1905 he and his
brother incorporated the business as Topa Topa Company, with Thomas
Thacher, who lives in
New York City
as president, and Edward Thacher as manager.
At the present time 134 ½
acres of this ranch are planted in oranges, grapefruit and
avocadoes, of which latter fruit Mr. Thacher is one of the first
producers who have reached the market.
In 1902 Mr. Thacher organized the Ojai
Olive Association, and has been its president ever since.
He is a director of the California Avocado Association.
He is a member of the University Club of Los Angeles, Yale Club
of Southern California, Jack Boyd Club of Nordhoff, and politically is a
In Nordhoff in August, 1890, he married
Miss Lucy W. Smith, daughter of Gen. T. C. H. Smith.
Mrs. Thacher died in January, 1915, leaving three children:
Olive Day, who is a graduate of the
and now lives at home with her father; Edward, aged twenty-two, a
student in the
and Thomas Church, aged twenty-one, attending the
HILL, LEONIDAS D.
The parents of Leonidas D. Hill were
pioneers to the community of
locating there in 1874 when the town was in the struggling stages
through which most communities must pass.
They have been identified with the agricultural life of this part
of the state since first locating in Goleta and their son is going on
with the good work that has made Santa Barbara the agricultural center
it has come to be.
February 10, 1865,
Leonidas D. Hill is the son of George W. and Rhoda Barbara (Wood) Hill.
When nine years of age the family left their
home and traveled to
locating on a farm in
and Leonidas Hill was reared to manhood there.
When he had finished his schooling he purchased a tract of
thirty-five acres and settled down to farming on his own responsibility.
Beans and walnuts are the products of his labors and he has
enjoyed a good success with his farm thus far.
In addition to his work at home, Mr.
Hill is manager of the bean warehouse at
Mr. Hill was married in
July 6, 1892,
to Miss Ida J. Hill, daughter of R. M. and Emily (Page) Hill.
Three children have come to them - Rhoda E., George D. and M.
Mr. Hill is a democrat, but not active
in local politics.
When Mr. Pool was a boy his fondest
ambitions were for a career as architect.
At the age of thirteen his father died, leaving him the head of a
family consisting of his mother and three younger children, a sister and
two brothers. Under such
conditions and heavy responsibilities the task of securing an education
became a very difficult problem.
While setting himself earnestly to the duties which lay nearest
at hand, he also took a long look ahead and never lost sight of the star
to which he had hitched his wagon.
As a boy he determined that his goal should be a high rank in the
No obstacle seemed too great for him to overcome.
The success he has attained has been due to certain principles
and rules of conduct. One
of these was a definite purpose.
He also was strongly determined to succeed, and refused to
consider defeat, feeling that whatever was worth doing was worth doing
well. Another factor in his
advancement was systematic study, carried on every day, as a youth as
well as in mature manhood.
He has neglected none of the stepping stones that lead to success in his
exacting calling. He worked
through the different trades connected with architecture, and after a
hard day’s work he continued his studies into the night.
He has also followed the rule of purchasing the best books and
magazines and from them has derived many new lights on the various
problems which come up in the course of his practice.
During the few years of his independent
practice Mr. Pool has attained a rank among the leaders of the
He practices in
but has done work in various states of the
Besides architecture he is also an authority on acoustical
engineering, having worked out his own formula for determining acoustic
December 18, 1876,
he educated himself largely by self application and by constant study.
In 1896 at the age of twenty he took up the earnest study of
architecture. For some
years he also continued in the contracting business in order to increase
and broaden his experience.
His office as architect and acoustical
engineer is now at
A large part of his practice is in acoustical engineering.
Some splendid achievements are to his credit in that time.
He was responsible for the arrangement with respect to acoustic
properties in the Christian Science Church on West Adams Boulevard in
Los Angeles, in St. Mary’s Catholic Church at Phoenix, Arizona, in the
Presbyterian Church at Chattanooga, Tennessee, and he has also been
called in as a consulting expert on acoustics and other phases of
architecture in many other auditoriums on the continent and some of the
palatial residences of Southern California.
Mr. Pool drew the plans for the
the largest business structure in
For the past eight years he has served
as a park commissioner and is a loyal and public spirited citizen of
that community. Politically
he is a republican. In
he married Miss Mabel Young.
They are the parents of two children, Phena and Harry, both of
whom are enthusiastic followers of their father’s profession and are
studying architecture in his office and lend him a great deal of
assistance in various ways.
Worthy of especial note in a work of
this character is William Stronach, of
a fine representative of the enterprising and thriving farmers who have
come to this region from a land across the sea, and by means of industry
and thrift has accumulated a good property.
A Scotchman by birth and breeding, he was born near
November 16, 1869,
a son of John and Ann (Skinner) Stronach.
Leaving school when but twelve years of
age, William Stronach subsequently served an apprenticeship at the
plasterer’s trade, which he followed for about a year.
Determining then to seek his fortune in
the land of glorious opportunities, he came to
in 1887, and remained in that city a short time.
Subsequently finding work as a farm laborer in
he settled in the valley, and when he had accumulated a sufficient sum
of money wisely invested it in land, buying ten acres of raw land, from
which he has improved his well cultivated and finely improved home
ranch. In addition to
working his own property, Mr. Stronach, with characteristic enterprise
and energy, leased 200 acres of near-by land, which he is carrying on
successfully, in connection with general farming making a specialty of
raising beans. Although not
active in politics, he is identified with the democratic party.
In November, 1893, in
Mr. Stronach was united in marriage with Miss Helen Keith, and into
their attractive home eight children have been born, one of whom, Mary
Jane, died when young; those now living are as follows: Helen, William,
Frank, Grace, Raymond, Alice and Louis.
SULLIVAN, JOHN FRANCIS
Perhaps the most gratifying success is
that which comes at the end of many years of well directed effort and a
constant striving for a betterment of one’s material condition.
This is the kind of success which John Francis Sullivan enjoys.
Mr. Sullivan was for many years an employe and by hard and
conscientious work finally arrived at the position of independence which
he now enjoys as one of the leading ranchers in the vicinity of
He was born at
February 28, 1859,
a son of John F. and Mary (Carey) Sullivan, was educated in the public
schools of his native state and in Hinman’s
For a number of years he was employed at different vocations
throughout the New England States.
In 1892 Mr. Sullivan came to
and since that date has been identified with the community at
For about twenty years he was one of the efficient employes on a
ranch, and by experience and by a careful husbanding of his resources
was enabled to engage in ranching for himself.
He bought a half interest in Mr. Samuel Myers’ ranch of 136 acres
near Naples, and they have developed this as one of the fine fruit farms
in that section of Santa Barbara County and both are reaping the
benefits of their long experience and industry.
Mr. Sullivan, who is unmarried, is a
Catholic, is a democrat, and a member of Council No. 1684 of the Knights
One of the families that has been
identified continuously with Ventura County since the decade of the ‘60s
is the Warrings, represented by Mr. Hugh Warring of Piru, one of the
leading horticulturists, farmers and business men in that vicinity.
His father, Benjamin F. Warring, was a
pioneer in this section of
Benjamin was born in
December 12, 1829,
and was reared and educated there.
He had just about reached his majority when the great gold
discoveries were made on the
and in 1850 he came to
by way of the Isthmus
His first experience was in running a restaurant in San Francisco
for three months. From
there he removed to Santa Clara County, and was employed in the great
redwood timber district until 1860.
He bought a farm near San Jose, operated it until 1869, and then
sold out and drove overland into Ventura County.
Soon after his arrival he settled in the Santa Clara Valley in
that section now known as Buckhorn.
A government claim of 160 acres gave him the land which he
devoted to farming for so many years, and it was his home until his
death on July 1,
He was a very prosperous citizen, stood high in the community and
was much respected for his many excellent qualities of character.
As to politics he was a republican.
He was a member of the San Jose Cavalry Company in the early days
of its formation. In 1853
Benjamin Warring was married at San Jose to Missouri D. Easley.
Six children were born to them and the two now living are Walter
S. of Ventura County and Hugh.
Mr. Hugh Warring was born in San Jose,
September 23, 1857,
and was about twelve years of age when the family removed to Ventura
County. His education in
the public schools was concluded a year later and from that time forward
he made a hand on his father’s farm.
Arriving at the age of twenty-one he bought fifty acres adjoining
the old homestead, and was successfully identified with its cultivation
and management until 1913, when he sold that fifty acres.
In 1912 he had bought thirty acres near Piru with twenty acres in
lemons and the rest in pasture land.
On the death of his father he inherited 120 acres, and of that
property he has sixty acres in oranges and walnuts and the rest in
pasture. His ownership
extends to fourteen acres of bean land in Ventura, but he rents this.
Thus his possessions indicate that he one of the most prosperous
citizens of Ventura County and he is a man who wisely uses his
prosperity. He is a
stockholder in the Fillmore State Bank, is a member of the Fillmore
Union High School Board, is a director in the Ventura Co-operative
Association, and is a republican and a member of the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks and the Masonic Order.
On September 4, 1881,
Mr. Warring married Alice Conaway, a native of Stockton, California.
They had a happy married life of fifteen years until her death on
June 18, 1896.
Four children were born to them: Edwin Cecil who is thirty-four
years of age and is now postmaster at Piru; Alfred A., aged twenty-nine,
also engaged in ranching near Piru; and Lester J., who is twenty-five
years of age and is connected with the Union Oil Company.
15, 1903, at Piru,
Mr. Warring married Orie J. Eaton.
Mrs. Warring is a native of Kansas and a daughter of H. B.
Comfort, a retired rancher and now living in Sawtelle.
Two children have been born to this marriage, Benjamin F., aged
seven and Chester Arnold, two years old.
RHEAD, FREDERICK H.
Success in any line of endeavor, be it
industrial, professional or financial, is gained through the utilizing
of the means at hand, the improvement of every opportunity for
advancement, and the exercise of good judgment and wise discrimination.
That Frederick H. Rhead, well known throughout Southern
California as an expert manufacturer of art pottery, has met with
recognized success as an artist in clay is positive proof of his patient
courage, intelligence and ability, and mark him as a faithful follower
of those world-famed potters of Old Straffordshire, Wedgwood, Whieldon
A native of England, he was born August
29, 1880, at
Staffordshire Potteries, where his parents, Frederick Alfred and
Adolphine (Hurten) Rhead, still reside.
His father, an artist in pottery, was born in England, but his
mother claims France as the country of her birth.
Mr. Rhead was educated in England,
attending first a parochial school at Stoke-on-Trent, and later the
English Government Art School, the Wedgwood Institute.
At the early age of nineteen years he became a teacher in the
Longton Government Art School, being one of the youngest teachers ever
appointed to such a position, and retained it for three years, after
which he was for three years a director of the Wardle Art Pottery
Company at Hanley, Staffordshire, England.
Coming to America well equipped for his
chosen line of work, Mr. Rhead was for six years a director of the
Rozane Potteries at Zanesville, Ohio, and for two years occupied a
similar position in the pottery department of the People’s University at
St. Louis, Missouri.
With a view of broadening his field of
endeavor, Mr. Rhead came to California, and as an associate of Dr.
Philip King Brown organized the Arequipa Pottery Company at Fairfax,
Marin County. Coming from
there to Santa Barbara in 1913, Mr. Rhead organized the Rhead Pottery
Company, Inc., of which he has since been the manager.
In his factory, which is advantageously located at the north edge
of the town, on the Mission Road, may be seen some of the most perfect
specimens of art pottery ever manufactured, the touch of the individual
craftsman being everywhere in evidence, moreover, it is the one and only
spot on earth where the actual reproduction of the Chinese mirror, black
glaze, can be seen. After
fifteen years of experimenting Mr. Rhead successfully reproduced this
glaze, which was originally made by the Chinese in the seventeenth
century. In his efforts to
master the secret of its manufacture, Mr. Rhead made over 11,000
formulas before developing the correct one, and as a result these wares
are very expensive. He
makes a specialty of manufacturing beautiful architectural and artistic
pottery, often of unique and highly artistic designs and decoration,
much of which is purchased by the wealthy eastern tourists, although
some of his most exclusive productions are to be found in the homes of
the cultured people of Montecito and vicinity.
The wonderful productions of Mr.
Rhead’s factory are entirely hand made, as are those of the cunning
Italian craftsmen, including not only expensive cabinet and museum
pieces, but garden ornaments, the larger part of which are of cement
construction. In carrying
on his work he uses almost exclusively California clays, obtaining about
twenty kinds in Santa Barbara, and the others from National City and
Elsinore. Eventually he
expects to use local clays only.
A visit to his workshop is both instructive and interesting, and
well worth the time to the near-by resident or the visitor, being far
more satisfactory than a view of the fine exhibit of his creations and
reproductions which attracted so much attention at the San Diego
Exposition, where Rhead Pottery was awarded a Gold Metal.
Politically Mr. Rhead is independent,
voting with the courage of his convictions, and has never sought office.
He is a member of the National Society of Craftsmen; of the New
York Ceramic Society; and of the American Ceramic Society.
ROWE, ROBERT S.
Robert S. Rowe is a business-like
farmer and rancher in the rich and attractive country around Goleta in
Santa Barbara County. To
farm and make a success of it in California requires those same
qualifications of energy, enterprise and intelligent direction which are
at the foundation of a business success in any line of endeavor.
Mr. Rowe is abundantly equipped in that respect, and although
already independently situated is quite a young man in years.
A resident of California since he was
five years of age, he was born in Plymouth, England, January 15, 1878,
a son of Herbert William and Eliza (Popplestone) Rowe.
Both parents were born in England and are now deceased, and both
represented some old families of Southwestern Britain His father came to
America and settled at Goleta in 1883, and there afterward engaged in
farming and stock-raising.
While growing up Robert S. Rowe
attended the public schools at Goleta, and at the same time secured a
practical training in the vocation which has been the object of his best
endeavors for a number of years.
No time was lost after he left school before he and his brother
Russell engaged in farming.
Subsequently they bought ninety-three acres near Goleta, and that land
they have since developed as a valuable olive, lemon and walnut
plantation. The brothers
conducted this ranch in a highly profitable manner, and in 1910 they
were able to extend their enterprise on a larger scale.
They then bought an additional 138 acres, known as the Buck Place
and a quarter of a mile from the original ranch.
Russell Rowe is now the active manager of the second ranch, and
that is devoted to walnuts and beans.
Mr. Robert Rowe still gives his active supervision to the
ninety-three acre place.
Not yet forty years of age, and
extremely busy with his successful farming, Mr. Rowe has found little
time for outside interests.
He is a democrat, is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks and the Fraternal Brotherhood of Santa Barbara, and with his family
worships in the Catholic Church.
On May 24, 1903,
he married Miss Genevieve Pensinger.
Her father, Jacob Pensinger, was one of the old settlers and
ranchers at Goleta. Two
children have been born of their union: Barbara and Robert
History of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura Counties,
by: C M Gidney - Santa Barbara. Benjamin Brooks - San Luis Obispo. Edwin
M Sheridan - Ventura
Volumes I & II - Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, ILL., 1917
Transcribed by: Carol Andrews, February 2009 - Pages 656-684