Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura Counties, California
Note: Use CTRL - F To Search
E. E. HUNTLEY. The death of E. E. Huntley, in September, 1914, left the son Leon Huntley in charge of the home place in Santa Paula, and he is at present looking after the interests of his mother as manager of the ranch his father had developed. Mr. Huntley was born in Granger County, Ohio, on January 2, 1883, and he is the eldest of the four children born to his parents, E. E. and Amy Louisa (Crane) Huntley
E. E. Huntley was born in Granger, Medina County, Ohio, on June 19, 1855, and he is the son of Ezra and Katherine (Wolcott) Huntley. He had a public school training, followed by a normal school course, and he was for many years engaged in the teaching profession in Ohio. In fact, he continued there in that estimable work until 1883, when he took his family to California and settled in Ventura County, on an eighty acre tract he was able to purchase.
There Mr. Huntley devoted himself to the development of this place, planting it to apricots and apples, both of which yielded abundantly, mak- ing his ranch most valuable. Later he sold thirty acres of the original tract, later buying back ten acres of it, to which he added an additional eighteen acres of foothill land near his place. All this he gave over to the cultivation of apricots and apples and replanted the entire tract to walnuts. Under his direction the ranch came to be a most attractive and productive spot, and has yielded a comfortable income to the family from the beginning.
Mr. Huntley, as a resident of Ventura County, found a field for his interests in the local schools, and for twenty-one years he served as a trustee of the Saticoy School Board. His services in that line were highly valuable to the city, and much credit is due to him for the excel- lency of the schools of the community. He resigned the office, saying that it was better for a younger man and one who had children in the school to take up the work. His politics were those of a democrat and he was long a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Ohio and after coming to California joined the Congregational Church at Saticoy. Mr. Huntley was married in Wadsworth, Medina County, Ohio, in March, 1882, and their four living children are Leon; Beatrice, who married E. H. Cavanagh of Santa Barbara, and Louis and Lois, twins, who are still in the parental home.
All four received their educations in the public schools of Ventura County, and Leon, after finishing his studies, gave his attention to work on the ranch under his father's supervision. When the father died in 1914 the son was well prepared to go ahead with the care of the ranch, and is making an excellent success of his work.
HENRY W. GORDON. A prominent and successful representative of the lumber trade of Santa Barbara County, Henry W. Gordon has won his responsible position as manager of the Santa Barbara Lumber Company through industry, perseverance, and the exercise of good judgment and wise management. A son of Aexander J. and Alice G. (Jelliff) Gordon, he was born, January 28, 1876, in Brodhead, Wisconsin, where he was educated, being there graduated from the high school at the age of sixteen years.
Soon after leaving school Mr. Gordon learned telegraphy, and for five years thereafter worked as telegraph operator and ticket agent, being employed in different places in Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. Desirous of obtaining more congenial and lucrative employment, Mr. Gordon then became associated with a lumber company in Missouri, and while there was so observant, and paid such attention to his duties that he thoroughly mastered the details of that part of the business with which he was concerned. On, coming to Santa Barbara in 1911, Mr. Gordon assumed his present responsible position as manager of the Santa Barbara Company, and through his energy and enterprise has built up an extensive trade and secured an excellent reputation for business ability and judgment.
On December 19, 19oo, at Redlands, California, Mr. Gordon was united in marriage with Miss Laura M. Knapp, and to them four children have been born, namely : Doris, Marjorie, Alice, and Malcolm.
HENRY RICH. Though he is now ninety-one years of age, Henry Rich does not think himself too old to carry on the management of his thirty-acre ranch in Goleta, where he has lived since about 1874. He keeps sufficient hired help to do the actual labor, but is himself active and hearty, mentally keen and alert and possessing a splendid memory for one of his years.
Mr. Rich was born in Saxony, Germany, on December to, 1825, and is the son of Godfrey and Christina Rich. As a young man in his native country he learned the trade of a millwright and when he came to America in 1849 he found ample demand for his services in that line of work. He traveled rather extensively throughout the country in carrying on his work, but spent several years in the State of New York, so that he probably looked upon that as his home state. In 1875 he decided to locate in California and coming to Goleta settled down on a small piece of land where he has since made his home.
Mr. Rich is republican in his politics and a Lutheran in his religious convictions. He was married in New York State on May 5, 1885, to Priscilla Derhler, and their children are here briefly named. John died at the age of six years. Emma married William Porter of Spring- field, Missouri. Anna Isabel, deceased, was the wife of Charles Maltby. Cora married Theodore Neeley of Los Angeles. Henry is living at home. Hudson is living in Los Angeles.
GEORGE FRIEDRICH MAIERS. AS proprietor of an implement store and a walnut huller manufactory in Goleta, where he has a well-established and highly lucrative business, George F. Maiers is one of the leading business men of his community, and a citizen of prominence. A son of John Friedrich and Marguerithe (Setzer) Maiers, he was born, December 24, 1871, in Stuttgart, Germany, and was there educated in the public schools. He subsequently learned the trade of wagon and carriage building and started in business for himself before being of age.
In 1887, Mr. Maiers, seeking newer fields of endeavor, immigrated to California, and for five years worked with the well known firm of Hunt, Son & Schuster. Starting in business on his own account in the fall of 1892, he erected a small wagon shop in connection with Mr. Joseph Lane in Goleta, and in its management met with great success. In 1896, feeling the need of larger and better accommodations, Mr. Maiers purchased land on the opposite corner of the street upon which he was located, and in the commodious building, of io,000 square feet of floor space, which he erected, has since been prosperously engaged in the general implement and wagon business, being successful both as a merchant and as a manufacturer. Mr. Maiers is also an inventive genius, and is now receiving a good income from the sale of walnut hullers, which he designed, had patented, and is now manufacturing.
Mr. Maiers married, June 19, 1912, Miss Katharine Pyster, of Carpinteria. They have one child, Helen Virginia, born December 19, 1916. Politically Mr. Maiers is a republican. Fraternally he is a Royal Arch Mason, and a past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias.
DAVID M. CULVER. Having been a tiller of the soil during his active career, David M. Culver, of Goleta, is numbered among those sturdy, energetic, and successful farmers who thoroughly understand the vocation which they follow, and are carrying it on with profit and pleasure. A native of Canada, he was born, April 10, 1851, in Norfolk County, Ontario, where his parents, Gabriel M. and Martha (Cullver) Culver, were then living.
Beginning his school life in his native town, David M. Culver completed his studies in the public schools of Kalamazoo, Michigan, after which he spent five years in the lumber camps of Northern Michigan. In 1875, realizing that the far West had greater opportunities for young men of industry and ambition, he made his way to Santa Barbara County, and not many months later was fortunate enough to obtain a position on the noted More ranch in Goleta. His services being appreciated, Mr. Culver was subsequently given charge of the ranch, and continued its supervision for twenty consecutive years, a record that bears witness to his efficiency and fidelity in that capacity. In 1898 Mr. Culver purchased, in Goleta, his present ranch of nineteen acres, all of which he devotes to the raising of walnuts, an industry that keeps him fully occupied, and proves exceedingly lucrative.
Mr. Culver has been twice married. He married first in 1884, in Goleta, Miss Jennie Kellogg, who lived but five short years after her marriage, dying in 1889, and leaving one child, Edgar Culver. In 1894 Mr. Culver married for his second wife Miss Martha Tucker, and of their union two children have been born, Ruth and Mildred. Politically Mr. Culver is a stanch supporter of the principles of the republican party. Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Knights of Pythias. Religiously he belongs to the Federated Church of Goleta.
FRANCIS MARIAN GLASS is a Missourian, born there on April 3, 1850, and he is a son of John W. and Mary (Roberts) Glass, natives of Ohio and Kentucky, respectively. The family came to California in 1852, experiencing all the hardships incident to pioneer life in such a trip as they undertook, and settled in Stockton and later went to Mendocino County. Francis Glass had his early education there and in Sonoma County, and when he had finished his schooling he farmed in Solano County for twelve years. It was during that time that his father, together with a Mr. Pensinger, his brother-in-law, purchased the places that Francis Glass and Mr. Pensinger now own and operate. This was afterwards divided. Mr. Glass has 16o acres of fine land, and he gives his time chiefly to stock-raising and general farming. He came into possession of the place in 1885 and has operated it since that time.
Mr. Glass is a member of the Elks and the Knights of Pythias. He is a democrat in politics, and was supervisor of his township for the years 1894-8 inclusive.
In 1885 Mr. Glass was married to Miss Sallie Parker, in San Francisco. She is the daughter of Richard D. Parker. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Glass. Albert W. and Harold, who live on the home place.
RUSSELL ROWE. Associated as a partner in the business of ranching at Goleta in Santa Barbara County, Russell Rowe is one of the leading producers of the olive, the lemon and the walnut crops of that district.
A son of Herbert William and Eliza (Poppleston) Rowe, he was born in Plymouth, England, June 13, 1875, and was eight years of age when his father came to America and settled in Santa Barbara County, California. Russell Rowe attended the public schools of Goleta, and at the conclusion of his studies engaged in farming and since then he and his brother Robert S. Rowe have had their business interests in common, and are now proprietors of a ranch of ninety-three acres near Goleta and of a still larger plantation near by. Mr. Russell Rowe now has the active management of the second ranch of 138 acres, and is specializing in the production of walnuts and beans.
Russell Rowe married Miss Nellie Chamberlain, a daughter of J. C. Chamberlain of Santa Barbara. Her father was one of the old settlers of the valley and has lived there for about thirty-five years. He came west from Ohio, from which state he had served through the Civil war with an Ohio regiment. Mr. and Mrs. Russell Rowe have one son, Norman Chamberlain Rowe. In politics he is a democrat, though with- out aspirations for public honors. His fraternal associations are with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, with the Knights of Pythias and the Uniform Rank of that order, and with the Fraternal Brotherhood.
HARRY W. BEATTY. California has gained national fame for the superior hotel facilities which it affords, and the best of provisions in this important field of enterprise are not lacking in the City of Santa Barbara, where the attractive and popular Hotel Mascarel contributes materially to the prestige of the city along this line. Of this ably con- ducted hotel Harry W. Beatty is the proprietor, and his long and varied experience in the hotel business makes him the ideal host of the excellent house which he now conducts and which he maintains at the most approved standard, the hotel being operated on the American plan and being eligibly situated in the heart of the city, adjacent to the principal retail shopping district and near the railway station. The house is one of the well established and carefully managed hotels of Santa Barbara, has seventy- five guest rooms and caters to a representative and appreciative patronage, the while its proprietor is one of the progressive and popular hotel men of Southern California.
Mr. Beatty was born in the State of Minnesota, on the 20th of January, 1870, and after making effective use of the advantages of the public schools of his native state he entered the University of Minnesota, in the City of Minneapolis, in which institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1888. In the same year he came to California and became associated with the hotel business in the City of Los Angeles, his alliance with this line of semi-public enterprise having continued without interruption to the present time and his experience, genial personality and marked business ability giving him prestige as one of the able and popular hotel men of the state of his adoption. Mr. Beatty established his residence in Santa Barbara in the year 1898, and for the ensuing ten years he held a responsible executive position with the Arlington Hotel. Upon severing his alliance, in 1908, he assumed the proprietorship of the Hotel Mascarel, which he has since conducted with distinctive success.
Mr. Beatty is popular in both business and social circles in his home city, is loyal and public-spirited in his civic attitude and is an active member of the Santa Barbara Chamber of Commerce. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, is a member of the local commandery of Knights Templars, and is identified with the adjunct organization, the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.
HENRY DOTY. A man of excellent business ability and judgment, well versed in all matters pertaining to the improvement of California's rich soil, Henry Doty, proprietor of a finely-bearing walnut orchard near Goleta, has contributed largely towards the development of the agricultural resources of Santa Barbara County, and occupies a place of prominence among the active and prosperous ranchmen of this section of the country. A son of Edward Doty, he was born December 12, 1855, in Santa Clara County, California, of honored pioneer stock.
A native of New York State, Edward Doty migrated to Knox County, Illinois, in the days of his youth, and while living there was variously employed. Full of enterprise and ambition, and a leader among his com- panions, he joined the gold seekers of 1849, and as captain of a band of venturesome jayhawkers crossed the plains, his little company being the first white men to pass through Death Valley. The company made its first stop at Newhall, Los Angeles County, from there coming to Santa Barbara County, where it disbanded. Edward Doty proceeded to San Jose, and thence to the mines on Feather River. Having accumulated some money, he returned to San Jose and there embarked in farming, first putting in a large crop of grain, in its cultivation being very successful. Coming southward to Santa Barbara County in 1876, he purchased 500 acres of land in Doty Canyon, near Naples, and was there an honored and highly respected resident until his death, in 1892. A free-hearted, generous, hospitable man, he was ever ready to lend his aid to the poor and needy, and to give his hearty support to all movements calculated to advance the public welfare.
Edward Doty married, March 5, 1854, in San Jose, Santa Clara Valley, Mary Ann Robinson, who crossed the plains in the same year that he did, although he was not aware of the fact at that time. Her father, Henry Robinson, was a pioneer settler of Santa Clara Valley, where for many years he carried on an extensive and profitable business in general farming, dairying and stock raising. Like other farmers, Edward Doty met with reverses, the second crop which he raised after coming to California being burned, entailing a loss of $30,000, on which he had no insurance. He was an up-to-date farmer for his times, and had the distinction of having brought the first threshing machine ever landed in San Francisco.
Mr. and Mrs. Edward Doty reared four children, namely: Henry, the special subject of this brief sketch; Frank, now living in Doty Canyon; Edward, Jr., who at the age of twenty-one years was shot and killed, he having been mistaken for a deer; and Margaret, widow of Daniel Carter, now residing at Brawley, Imperial County.
Henry Doty received a practical education in the public schools of San Jose, and under his father's wise instructions acquired a thorough knowledge of agricultural arts and methods. Accompanying his parents to their new home in Santa Barbara County, he and his two brothers assumed charge of the ranch at Naples, and continued its management until after the death of the father, probably about ten years after. Mr. Doty then disposed of this ranch, and he and his brother Frank purchased his sister's property, situated farther up the canyon. When he sold his ranch in Doty Canyon, Mr. Doty lived for eight years in Santa Barbara, and then bought fifteen acres of rich land near Goleta, and in its cultivation finds both pleasure and profit, his principal crop being walnuts. On September I, 1916, Mr. Doty bought the historic Ranch Alamada Pintado a Ballard. Mr. Doty expects to improve and beautify the grounds and buildings and sow fields of alfalfa and in every way make it a beautiful and up-to-date country home. Mr. Doty's son Chester will assume the management of the property and make his home there.
On May 30, 1885, in Santa Barbara, Mr. Doty was united in marriage with Miss Lillie M. Williams, a daughter of George Washington and Charlotte (Cadogan) Williams, who came to California via Panama and Aspinwall in 1860, locating on a ranch in Contra Costa County, where the death of Mr. Williams occurred in 1892. Mr. Doty is a direct descendant of a Mayflower passenger, while Mrs. Doty, through her mother traces her genealogical record back to the Cadogans of England, of whom Lady Ethel Cadogan was lady in waiting to Queen Victoria. Mr. and Mrs. Doty have two children, Chester Henry, born November 26, 1886, and Charlotte, born October 20, 1895. Chester, a prominent electrician of Santa Barbara, married Miss Fay Johnson, and they have one child, Dorothy Fay Doty. He was educated in the public schools of Santa Barbara, in a business college and at Vandernailen Electrical School at Oakland, California. He now holds a responsible position with the Reynolds Electrical Company of Santa Barbara. Miss Charlotte Doty was educated in Santa Barbara, and now holds a responsible position as district clerk and paymaster for the Sunset Telephone Company. She is a most estimable young woman, popular in social circles, and a valued member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Doty is actively identified with the republican party, and for fifteen years rendered good service as school director of the Den District, at Naples. Fraternally he has been a member of the Knights of Pythias for twenty-eight years.
JOSEPH J. WHIPPLE. Coming from Germany to the United States as an ambitious and aspiring youth of splendid character and marked talent, the late Joseph J. Whipple made a splendid record of achievement in the domain of expert landscape gardening, and he became one of the prominent and popular representatives of this profession at Santa Barbara. In this city he continued to maintain his home until his death, which was of tragic order, as he was killed in an automobile accident, on the 26th of July, 1915, when in the very height of his strong and useful manhood, his death having occurred when he was thirty-nine years of age.
Mr. Whipple was born at Osterhofen, Bavaria, Germany, on the 19th of January, 1876, and was reared and educated in his native land, though he was but fourteen years of age when he severed the home ties and came to the United States, where he felt assured of better opportunities for the achieving of success through individual effort. None could have been more appreciative of the advantages and institutions of the United States, and he became one of the most loyal of American citizens. Mr. Whipple was endowed with distinctive genius along mechanical lines, and in the land of his adoption he was able to command the wages of an expert machinist. In 1893, at the age of seventeen years, he returned to his old home in Bavaria, where he inherited an appreciable sum of money from the estate of his paternal grandfather, who had been a man of influence and substantial financial resources. After receiving this patrimony Mr. Whipple returned to the United States and resumed his association with agricultural pursuits, though he later developed his distinctive talent for horticulture and floriculture. As an exponent of the latter branches of enterprise he entered the employ of D. E. Richardson, at Riverside, Illinois, a suburb of the City of Chicago, and by his employer he was sent to California th supervise the improvement of the fine new estate, "Piranhurst," which Mr. Richardson had purchased at Montecito, Santa Barbara County, a property now owned by Mr. Bothin. Mr. Whipple assumed charge of the landscape gardening and other incidental improvements of this estate in December, 19m, and he there continued his effective service until Mr. Richardson's death. Thereafter he passed a few months at Goldfields, Nevada, and upon his return to Santa Barbara he engaged in independent business as a contractor in landscape gardening. There came instant and appreciative demand for his services in the laying out and beautifying of many of the beautiful private grounds of finer private residences in this section, including those of Miss Waring and Mr. Bartlett, and in 1908 he opened at Santa Barbara the finely appointed store, on State Street, that has been successfully conducted by his widow since his death. He continued his successful activities as a contractor in landscape gardening until the close of his life, and his tragic death was deeply deplored in the community in which his circle of friends was limited only by that of his acquaintances.
Though he had no ambition to enter the arena of practical politics or to become a candidate for public office of any kind, Mr. Whipple was essentially loyal and progressive in his civic attitude and gave staunch support to the cause of the republican party. He was actively affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
At Kenosha, Wisconsin, on the 19th of November, 1895, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Whipple to Miss Annie S. Baker, who was born in the City of Copenhagen, Denmark, a daughter of Henric Eric Alfred Baker and Amelia Sophia Baker, her parents having passed away there when she was a child. Mrs. Whipple has proved a very successful and popular business woman and has continued to conduct the store that had been established by her husband, their two children, George Edward and Theresa Matilda, being students in the public schools of Santa Barbara.
MARTIN C. HEMENWAY. When the subject of consideration is those men who have through a number of years consistently promoted the development of Southern California and have made that portion of the state the main contributing force of the world's fine fruit supply, there should be at least some mention made of the part played by Martin C. Hemenway. In Santa Barbara County Mr. Hemenway is one of the leading horticulturists and farmers, and has one of the beautiful and valuable ranch properties in the vicinity of Goleta.
A man of eastern birth, he has spent practically all his life in California. He was born at Clinton, Wisconsin, September 16, 1869. His father, Levi A. Hemenway, now deceased, was a Pennsylvanian, a farmer by occupation, and of an old American family of English descent, some of his ancestors having taken part in the Revolutionary war. Levi A. Hemenway himself was a soldier in the Civil war, having been first sergeant in Company D of the Thirteenth United States Regiment, and going through many of the hardest fought campaigns of the war, including the sieges of Vicksburg and of Arkansas Post. In 1877 he came out to California, and after farming for many years died In 1902. His wife, Nielvina (Wilbur) Hemenway, was born in New York State, of Welsh and English descent, and likewise of Revolutionary stock, is still living, making her home with her son Martin.
For the foundation of his career as a successful horticulturist Martin C. Hemenway had a liberal literary education. He attended the grammar and high schools of Santa Barbara, and his education was completed in the University of the Pacific at San Jose. On completing his schooling he felt that his duty lay on the home place, since his father was then suffering from ill health. Returning home, he took charge of affairs at the ranch at the foot of San Marcos Pass. This ranch is in what was known as Indian Orchard Canyon. There he lived and carried on his work for a number of years, finally selling out in November, 1911, and buying twenty-six acres near Goleta, where he has since been a successful grower of walnuts, beans and alfalfa. While conducting the ranch at San Marcos Pass he cultivated the largest acreage of strawberries probably in all Southern California. His plantation to this crop contained five acres. For twenty years he was one of the heaviest growers of this fruit, and as it is a crop requiring a great deal of care during the producing season he kept at times as many as ten hands busy. His aim was to produce berries not only in large quantities but of the highest quality, and naturally there was a ready market for his entire crop. The hundreds of crates sent from his place those years were sold through Mr. John Diehl at Santa Barbara, and this was a relationship mutually profitable and agreeable.
In every locality in which he has lived in California Mr. Hemenway has proved a booster for good roads and all public improvements. He has been too busy to make politics a diversion or a vocation, and is a man if independence in his views and voting. For three terms of two years each he served as school trustee.
On June 8, 1892, in the house where he is now living in Goleta, on the old George W. Hill estate, Mr. Hemenway married Miss Minnie Hill. Her father, George W. Hill, settled at Goleta in the early '70s and was one of the pioneers in this section of Santa Barbara County. The Hills are an old American family of English descent.
FRANK R. SIMPSON. An instinct and talent for mechanical lines caused Frank R. Simpson some years ago to leave a farm and establish a machine works in Goleta. He was limited by lack of capital and equipment at first, but as the output of his little shop was found by an increasing patronage to be more and more satisfactory, his business enlarged, and he now has a large amount of capital and is proprietor of one of the best machine works in Santa Barbara County. Practically all the business in that line around Goleta comes to him.
Though he spent only the months of infancy in Scotland where he was born October 6, 1872, Frank R. Simpson no doubt inherits from his Scotch forefathers the characteristics of thrift and enterprise which have brought him so far along the road of business success. His father Francis R. Simpson, who was born in Scotland and died in California in 1896, was a farmer and on establishing his home at Goleta in 1873 was employed by Elwood Cooper for a number of years and afterwards by S. P. Stow, both of these being among the most prominent ranchers of this section of Cali- fornia. Later Francis Simpson bought forty acres in Goleta and conducted a dairy farm there until his death. His wife, Jessie (Milne) Simpson was also born in Scotland and is now living in Goleta.
Frank R. Simpson grew up and received his early education in Goleta, and was employed in farm work there and in that locality for six years. He then established the machine business at Goleta. His brother Thomas is associated with him in this business, another brother Henry is a machin- ist in Santa Barbara, and two brothers Reginald and William are employed by the Southern Pacific Railway.
Mr. Simpson is unmarried. He is a republican, belongs to the Federated Church, and is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Fraternal Brotherhood.
PETER A. SWANSON. A specially popular and successful exponent of the merchant-tailoring business in the City of Santa Barbara is Peter A. Swanson, whose ability and sterling character have here enabled him to build up a most prosperous enterprise, in connection with which he caters to a large, appreciative and representative supporting patronage.
Mr. Swanson is a native of Sweden, where he was born on the 7th of January, 1868, and he is a son of Sven and Metta (Matson) Jonson, his own surname being taken from the personal name of his father, in accordance with the ancient Scandinavian custom. His parents passed their entire lives in Sweden, where his father was a substantial farmer, and the youthful experience of Peter A. Swanson was that gained in connection with the basic industry of agriculture. He gained his early education in the excellent schools of his native land, and was apprenticed to a tailor in Valleberga, Sweden. In 1890, shortly after attaining to his legal majority, he severed the home ties and set forth to win for himself a position of independence in the United States. He established his residence in Wisconsin, where he connected himself with the tailor's trade, in which eventually he became a specially skilled workman, as fully attested by the substantial business which he now controls as a merchant tailor. From Wisconsin he went to the City of Chicago, where he remained about eighteen months, and for twenty years of his application to the work of his trade he traveled extensively throughout the United States and also in Mexico.
In 1907 Mr. Swanson established his home at Santa Barbara, and six months later he here opened a ladies' and men's tailoring establishment. The finely appointed headquarters are in the Swanson Block, a building that is owned by Mr. Swanson and that is eligibly situated at the corner of East Ostego and Anacapa streets. This is recognized as one of the most artistic establishments of its kind on the Pacific coast and it has attracted much favorable attention on the part of tourists from the East as well as on the part of appreciative citizens of the city in which it is located. In the carrying on of his extensive business Mr. Swanson gives employment to a corps of from ten to fifteen assistants, and while he controls a large local trade the major part of his business is gained from the tourists who visit Santa Barbara and who are impressed with the superiority of his products in both men's and women's fashionable apparel.
In his native land Mr. Swanson served the allotted term as a soldier in the Swedish army, and he has served one term as vice president of the State Federation of Labor within the period of his residence in California, his political attitude being that of an independent repub-lican. In a fraternal way he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Select Knights of America and other social organizations.
Mr. Swanson was married February 20, 1907, to Mrs. Eliza C. C. Marsh, whose maiden name was Miss Eliza C. Cadwallader, daughter of Charles and Catherine Cadwallader of Springfield, Ohio. Mr. Charles Cadwallader was prominent in both educational and political circles, and was chosen by the people to occupy many positions of trust. He was a descendant of General Cadwallader of military fame. Mrs. Swanson has resided in Santa Barbara since 1883 and is an extensive property owner. both in Santa Barbara and other parts of California, and she has contributed in a financial way to the many improvements of Santa Barbara. She has been a special help to her husband in building up his present flourishing ladies' tailoring establishment. Mrs. Swanson is a popular factor in the social activities of her home city.
JOSEPH ARCHAMBAULT. Many stories are told of successful Cali- fornia men who starting on the bottom round of the ladder have climbed steadily to a degree of prosperity such as might make anyone envious. A more than typical case is that of Joseph Archambault, now living retired in Santa Barbara.
When Mr. Archambault arrived in Santa Barbara forty years ago, the story is told on good authority that his entire capital amounted to twenty-five cents. He was eighteen years old at the time, and though he had been rolling about the world for some time he had accumulated very little moss. He was born in Montreal, Canada, April 12, 1858, a son of Joseph and Marie Archambault. Up to the age of twelve he attended public school. Going to Ross Point, New York, he worked there a year, in Montpelier, Vermont, a year, and was in Crown Point, now Burlington, Vermont, until 18745.
After this uncertain and not altogether successful experience Mr. Archambault tried his hand in California. Almost immediately after his arrival in Santa Barbara, perhaps out of sheer necessity, he secured employment on a ranch near that city. He was certainly a hard worker, and given a reasonable opportunity he soon made good. He remained on the ranch four years and then used part of his earnings in paying for some instructions in school at Santa Barbara, thus making up for some of his earlier deficiencies.
After that for five years he was employed in the lumber mills at Eureka, California, but since then has lived in Santa Barbara County. For six months he was employed by R. K. Fisher, and then following a trip back East to home and relatives, lasting six months, he began farming on leased ground. That was his plan of procedure for several years, and with the capital thus realized he bought too acres. From that time forward his success was cumulative. One year after his first purchase he bought 200 acres, and a year later 200 more. All of that he conducted as a magnificent farm and ranch under his personal supervision until 1912. In that year he began getting ready to retire, and sold zoo acres, and in 1913 the rest of his place.
Since coming to Santa Barbara Mr. Archambault has built a fine home in that city and is now living retired and enjoying the fruits of his earlier toil. He is unmarried. Since 1876 he has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and so far as politics is concerned is entirely independent in his judgment and voting.
JAMES SWEENEY is one of Santa Barbara County's prosperous and progressive ranchers. His place is located near Lompoc.
He has lived in California only a few years, and his early life was spent in Ireland, where he was reared and educated and acquired the general experience which he brought with him to California.
He was born in County Donegal, Ireland, January 4, 1878, a son of James and Mary (Sweeney) Sweeney. His father was an Irish patriot. Mr. James Sweeney Jr. lived in Ireland until 1910. In that year he married Ellen McNulty. The journey to America was in the nature of a wedding trip. They arrived in this county July 16, 1910, and came on direct to Lompoc in Santa Barbara County, California. Here Mr. Sweeney spent several years as a ranch employe, and after mastering the various phases of California agricultural conditions he bought his present ranch of 360 acres, and is making a very prosperous and substantial showing.
Since becoming an American citizen he has allied himself with the democratic party. He and his wife are members of the Catholic Church and they are the parents pf four children, one son and three daughters.
NICHOLAS OLIVAS represents one of the old Spanish families that have been identified with this section of California since pioneer times. He is a very successful rancher and horticulturist in Ventura County, and is one of the men who has done much to develop this county as a center of production for some of the California crops most in demand by the world.
He is a son of Nicholas and Joesefa (Figueroa) Olivas. Nicholas Olivas, Sr., was born in Los Angeles February 18, 1822. In 1832 his parents removed to Santa Barbara. There his father had charge of the Mission Indians for a time. In 1833 he came to what is now Ventura County, where the grandfather was given a grant of 2,000 acres, now known as the San Miguel Grant. He used this land for grazing large herds of stock, and followed the pastoral pursuits which largely prevailed in this section of California until comparatively recent years.
On that ranch Nicholas Olivas. Sr., worked with his father up to the age of twenty-five. He was then given sixty-two acres by his father from the grant, and was successfully identified with its management as a farm and ranch until his death on December 31, 1915. In Ventura County Nicholas, Sr., married in 1845 Joesefa Figueroa. They became the parents of fourteen children.
One of these children, Nicholas Olivas, Jr., was born in Ventura July 18, 1880. Up to the age of eighteen he attended the public schools and his early experiences having acquainted him with the management of a farm, he took most of the responsibilities connected with his father's ranch and carried them until the death of the senior Nicholas Olivas. On the division of the estate he inherited his share of the sixty-two acres, and since then has bought the interests of the other heirs with the exception of those of his mother who still owns twenty acres. However, Mr. Olivas farms the entire place of sixty-two acres, and his main crop is beans.
He is a republican and a Catholic. May 18, 1914, he married at Santa Barbara Miss Minnie Smith. They have one child, Nicholas Charles.
ALFRED JAMES AVERY. Possessing great mechanical ability and excellent business judgment and tact, Alfred James Avery is numbered among the leading contractors and builders of Santa Barbara, and has acquired far more than a local reputation for skilful and durable work, having been employed in his chosen vocation in various parts of the Union, embracing many cities and large towns lying between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. He was born at Southampton, England, February 3, 1851, a son of Joseph and Sarah ( Saunders) Avery.
Educated in his native land, Alfred James Avery remained beneath the parental roof-tree until seventeen years of age when he immigrated to this country, crossing the ocean in a sailing vessel. Landing in New York City, he served an apprenticeship of three or more years at the carpenter's trade. Becoming proficient at his work, Mr. Avery sought newer fields of action in the West, and for four years followed his trade at Atchison, Kansas, after which he spent two years in San Francisco as a builder and contractor. Returning then to the Missouri River country, he filled several contracts, living there until 1889, when he went to Seattle, Wash- ington Territory, where a large part of the city had been destroyed by fire. During the four years that he remained there Mr. Avery did an extensive business as a contractor and builder. Going back to Missouri once more, Mr. Avery accepted the contract for erecting the Tootle Theatre in St. Joseph, and for eight years had charge of the Tootle estate building affairs. Completing his work in that locality, he located in Santa Barbara, California, which has since been his home. Mr. Avery has filled many important contracts in the county, having built the Country Play House at Montecito; Doctor Poor's fine residence ; and many others of note, all of them bearing evidence of his mechanical skill and genius. He has specialized in theatre building, having erected many of the finest in Southern California, as well as in other places.
Mr. Avery is a republican in politics, but is too busy with his business affairs to take an active part in public matters. He married, November 21, 1911, Nellie Ruth Belt, a daughter of John and Nelly Belt, of Monrovia, Kansas.
FRANCIS T. UNDERHILL. One of the foremost citizens of Santa Barbara, and a man of prominence in business, industrial and social circles, Francis T. Underhill is a fine representative of the energetic, far-sighted and progressive men that have been influential in developing and promoting the higher and more important interests of town and county. He was born February 25, 1863, in New York City, being a son of James W. Underhill, and a lineal descendant in the ninth generation from Capt. John Underhill, who liberally assisted in financing the Mayflower project.
A native of New York, James W. Underhill came from substantial colonial stock. A man of integrity and ability, he became prominent in financial circles, carrying on for many years an extensive banking business in New York City, and at the time of his death, in 1867, being chairman of the building committee of the old Stock Exchange in that city. The maiden name of his wife was Margaret A. Varnum. She was born in New York, and was a granddaughter of Gen. Joseph Bradley Varnum, of Massachusetts, who served as speaker of the house of representatives, in Washington, District of Columbia, from 1807 until 1817. One of her ancestors founded the town of Draycott, Massachusetts.
Francis T. Underhill was educated principally by tutors, the last four years of his education being spent in travel with his preceptors. In 1879 he came with one of his tutors to California, and remained six months in Santa Barbara ; he was so pleased with the place that he passed the two following winters in the same city. Marrying in the autumn of 1883, Mr. Underhill came at once with his bride to Southern California and in the spring of 1884, invested in land, buying the Ontare ranch of 1100 acres, lying four miles west of Santa Barbara. Selling that property in 1886 to the Pacific Improvement Company, Mr. Underhill purchased, in the same year, the El Roblar ranch, at Los Alamos, containing between 5,000 and 6,000 acres, which twenty years later he sold at a good profit, he having in the meantime developed the property in the highest sense of the term, having devoted it to the raising of grain, cattle and horses. Neither that ranch or the one previously alluded to were fenced when they came into his possession, but he cleared and improved both of them, bringing the virgin land up to a high state of cultivation and productiveness.
Santa Barbara has proved so attractive to Mr. Underhill that he later purchased considerable property in Montecito, including his home in Montecito, he having practically deserted the city of his birth as well as the home which he has owned for a number of years at Oyster Bay, Long Island.
During the last few years that Mr. Underhill has been a resident of Santa Barbara he has devoted his time to the designing and building of houses and gardens of the finer type, his work as a landscape and house architect having been largely in Montecito, notable among the number being the following named : the Peabody home ; the Knapp Roman Baths and ,water garden ; the Joseph G. Coleman home; the Wetmore home; the Runyon and Douglas cottages ; several cottages of his own ; the Polo Club house, and others. Five large and handsome homes are now in process of construction for Messrs. Gavit, Boldt, Chatfield, Jordan, and Patterson.
Mr. Underhill has been twice married, by his first marriage having three daughters, Margaret V., Katharine and Dorothy. He married for his second wife Miss Carmelita Dibblee, a daughter of Thomas B. Dibblee, a prominent New York lawyer who came here in the early '50s. Her mother was one of the de la Guerras, a family identified with the earlier history of California.
During his residence in New York, Mr. Underhill enlisted in the National Guard of New York, and as captain of a company of United State Volunteers took an active part in the Spanish-American war, serving as a soldier for nine months. Mr. Underhill is a lover of horses, and spent twenty-five years of his life as a judge of horseflesh. In 1895 he wrote a book entitled "Driving for Pleasure," which was accepted as an authority on the subject. He was one of the organizers of the National Horse Show Association, in which he was an exhibitor for many years, and was a judge in fourteen New York Horse Shows.
Mr. Underhill has always taken much pleasure in yachting, and once owned the old cup defenders "Mayflower" and "Mischief," and a number of other smaller boats. He belongs to various social and fraternal organizations, including the Santa Barbara Club ; the Santa Barbara Country Club; the La Cumbre Club; the Santa Barbara Chamber of Commerce ; the Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons ; and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is also a member of the Union Club of New York, and of the Seawauhaka Yacht Club. In politics he is an adherent of the republican party.
EDMUND WAITE GERRY. Various members of the Gerry family have been pioneer agriculturists in Ventura County, their residence here covering a period of over forty years. School teaching, fruit and general crop raising, business affairs, have all occupied the time and attention of Mr. Edmund Waite Gerry, one the very well known and highly esteemed citizens of that county.
His parents were Waite and Esther Gerry. Waite Gerry came out to Ventura in 1872. He had a varied experience before settling down in his real vocation. For a time he was employed by the Western Union Telegraph Company in erecting the line from Ventura to Newhall. After three months in that work he went up the Sacramento River and for four months was engaged in the salmon fisheries. He then joined a party that prospected for borax in the eastern part of the state. In 1873 he returned to Ventura and thereafter made it his permanent home.
The first year he rented the five hundred acre Collins ranch at Montalvo. He then acquired a claim of 160 acres at the mouth of the Elisen Canyon, and farmed that for a year. The following year he rented ten acres near Santa Paula, and then for several years was a renter of 100 acres of the Olivas ranch in the Mound district. Out of the proceeds of many years of successful work as a renter, he bought seventy-five acres in the Mound district and was employed in this operation until his death on July 4, 1907.
Mr Edmund W Gerry was born April 2 1868, while his parents had their home in Pleasant Hill in Cass County, Missouri. He was four years of age when the family located in Ventura County, and he has thus spent practically all his life in the West. Up to the age of nineteen he attended the public schools and then entered the Normal School at Los Angeles where he was graduated in 1889. Mr Gerry is well remembered by a large number of people who were at one time his pupils. He was a very successful and popular teacher. For three years after leaving Normal School he taught in the Mound District of Ventura County, and after that was employed on his father's farm up to 1897. Then for a year he taught at Piru in Ventura County, and for another year at Fillmore in the same county.
Leaving the school room he then took charge of his father's seventy- five acre ranch and actively managed it until his father's death. He then inherited part of this and has since acquired it all by purchase of the remaining heirs with the exception of I22 acres owned by his sister. All of this fine ranch is now developed as a walnut and bean plantation, and it furnishes a very profitable business for Mr. Gerry.
Besides his interests on his home farm he is secretary of the Mound Threshing Machine Company. He is a member of the Masonic order, a republican, and of the Congregational Church. In Los Angeles December 25, 1892, he married Miss Jennie M. Sheldon. They have two children. E. Sheldon, aged twenty-two, is a graduate of the high school of Ventura. with the class of 1913, and is now attending Pomona College at Pomona, California. Claresta, the younger child, is in the Ventura High School.
WALTER S. WARRING is one of the native sons of Ventura County, has been identified with the farming and fruit growing industry in this section since he reached manhood, and is now very influentially and successfully connected with the community around Piru.
Born on the old home place in Ventura County September 14, 1875, he is a son of that pioneer Californian 'and Ventura County citizen Benjamin F. Warring, whose career is sketched on other pages. Walter S. Warring grew up on the old farm, was educated in the district schools up to the age of eighteen and then found ample employment for his energies on his father's ranch. With the death of his father in 1903 he inherited fifty acres. The management of that has engrossed all his time and attention. He has twenty-five acres planted in an orange grove, twelve acres in walnuts, five acres in lemons and the rest in pasture land.
Mr. Warring is a member of the Piru Citrus Association, of the Santa Paula Walnut Growers Association, and is a very active member of the horticultural interests. He is a republican, and a Methodist. At Hayward, Alameda County, California, November 24, 1908, he married Miss Eloise Beem, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Mrs. Cara F. Beem, one of the pioneer school teachers of Ventura County. They have one child, Stephen Dudley, aged six years.
SETH A KEENEY. California has drawn within its borders many valued citizens of worth and influence, men whose character and ability have been shown forth in splendid achievement in varied fields of human thought and action. The city of Santa Barbara claims as one of its substantial capitalists, influential business men and loyal and progressive citizens Seth A. Keeney, who is vice-president and a director of the First National Bank and who has other large and important capitalistic interests in this favored section of the state, his idyllic home, "Ivydene," being in the attractive little suburban village of Montecito, about four and a half miles distant from Santa Barbara.
Mr. Keeney was born at Jamaica, Queens County, New York, on the 3oth of March, 1864, and is the eldest son of Col. Abner C. and Susan (Ashby) Keeney. He whose name introduces this article was afforded the advantages of the Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute at Brooklyn, New York, and later prosecuted a course of study in Bellevue Medical College, New York City, though circumstances and opportunities have led him to devote the greater part of his active life to business affairs rather than to the practice of medicine.
In 1888 Mr. Keeney removed with his family to Denver, Colorado, where he became the executive representative of the Prudential Insurance Company, one of the foremost life-insurance companies of America. As general agent for this great company he continued his residence in Colorado until 1897, when he came to California and centralized his interests in the city of Santa Barbara. He was a member of the directorate of the Prudential Insurance Company for twenty-one years, and his capitalistic and executive associations at the present time are briefly noted in part in the following schedule : Vice-president and a director of the First National Bank of Santa Barbara ; vice-president and a director of the Press Publishing & Printing Company of Santa Barbara ; vice-president and a director of the Bankers' Realty Company of this city ; a director of the Arlington Hotel Company, Santa Barbara ; vice-president and a director of the Occidental Life Insurance Company, of Los Angeles. At Brooklyn, New York, he is one of the owners of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle, one of the leading newspapers of the United States. Mr. Keeney is serving in 1916 as president of the Santa Barbara Club, besides which he holds membership in the Santa Barbara Country Club and in the California Club of Los Angeles. In the time-honored Masonic fraternity he has received the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite. His well fortified political convictions are indicated by the staunch allegiance which he accords to the republican party, and in his civic attitude he is distinctively progressive and public-spirited.
In the year 1886 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Keeney to Miss Cornelia Huntington, daughter of the late Benjamin H. Huntington, of Brooklyn, New York, and they have two children, Miss Gladys Keeney and Ashby H. Keeney.
HENRY PINNEY FLINT is a pioneer of pioneers in Ventura County. With the exception of members of native families, few have lived continuously in this part of Southern California for a greater number of years. Mr. Flint was here while the Civil war was raging, and for many years was identified with the sheep raising industry. He knew Ventura County when it was almost entirely grazing lands, and he had almost reached that point in life when he was content to retire when the new movement for growing fruit was introduced.
The eighty-three years of his life he has spent amid varied scenes, from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific. He was born at Quincy, Illinois, July 29, 1833, a son of Ariel and Persis (Pinney) Flint. He gained his first schooling in his native locality, but when he was eleven years. of age his parents removed to Shelby County, Ohio, where he continued to attend such schools as were maintained at that time until he was sixteen. At that age he went to Ellington in Tolland County, Connecticut, and put in five years as a worker on a farm. His next experience was fifteen months as an employee in a woolen factory at Rockview, Connecticut. From Hartford he crossed almost half the distance of the Continent to Iowa City, Iowa, working on a farm near there for a year, put in the following year at farm work and repairing a flour mill in Holt County, Missouri, and then going to Leavenworth, Kansas, which at the time was the great outfitting post for many of the Government and private trains which were crossing the plains to the Far West.
At Leavenworth Mr. Flint hired out to the United States Government and was employed to drive a six mule team hauling a supply wagon to Salt Lake City with soldiers. He and his party got only as far as Fort Laramie, Wyoming, where the summer was spent, and he then drove back to Fort Leavenworth. In the fall of that year he resigned his place with the Government, and again resumed work on a farm in Holt County, Missouri.
It was in the spring of 1859 that Mr. Flint came to California, making the entire journey overland across the plains with an ox train. Settling in San Benito County, he worked on Colonel Hollister's ranch, where the Town of Hollister now stands. He was employed in herding sheep for three years, following which he drove a band of sheep to Los Angeles, and remained in that vicinity until May, 1863. He then conducted his . sheep to Ventura County, renting 1,300 acres of El Rancho Santa Clara del Norte near Ventura. At that time his brother Benjamin T. was associated with him in the business. They kept their sheep on this ranch for a year, and Mr. W. R. Tomkins then joined them as a partner. The three rented the old CoIonia Rancho, but after two years the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Flint moved his flocks to the Briggs ranch near Saticoy, renting that place for two years. Mr. Flint then took up a 16o acre claim at the mouth of Sycamore Canyon. This claim was taken away from him four years later by the Ex-Mission Grant. Mr. Flint next moved his sheep to the Paterson ranch near Hueneme for a year, and then bought 400 acres of the Snodgrass ranch. After six years there he sold his lands and sheep.
Such very briefly is an account of Mr. Flint's business activities as a sheep rancher in California. On the whole he made a decided success of the business, and when he gave it up he was in a position to take life some- what more easily. He then bought fifty acres on Ventura Avenue near Ventura and has since lived there quietly, devoting his land to bean crops and other general farming purposes.
He is a republican and a member of the Masonic order. At Oakland, California. he was married June 26, 1872, to Miss Catherine Collins. Four children were born to this union, two of whom are deceased, Lena Belle, who passed away in infancy, and Harry P., who died at the age of twenty-one, while a member of the Seventh California Regiment at San Francisco, he having volunteered his services to his country at the outbreak of the Spanish-American war. Those living are Grace and Wm. Collins, both of whom are at home, the son having the active management of the ranch.
EDWARD ROMO. A highly respected resident of Santa Barbara County, and one of its most industrious and prosperous farmers, Edward Romo is carrying on general farming, including stock raising and walnut growing on a modest scale not far from Goleta. He has the distinction of being a native born citizen, his birth having occurred in Goleta on February 11, 1864.
Francisco Romo, Mr. Romo's father, was born and reared in New Mexico, and there resided until attaining his majority. He came to Southern California in 1851, and from that time until his death, at the age of eighty-two years, in 1911, was engaged in ranching. He married Maria J. Eguerre, who was the first person of Spanish descent to settle in the vicinity of Goleta. She now lives on the ranch with her son Edward, at the advanced age of eighty-three years, being the oldest Spaniard in the vicinity. She has eight sons and one daughter, all residents of Santa Barbara County, her daughter, Mary, being the wife of C. L. Badger, of Santa Barbara.
Having acquired a practical education in the public schools of Goleta, Edward Romo started in life for himself as a farmer, and as the owner and manager of a fine ranch of 146 acres, which he is devoting to the culture of corn, beans and hay, and to some extent in the raising of walnuts and cattle. In his political views Mr. Romo is a democrat, although not a worker in party ranks, and in religion he is a member of the Catholic Church. He has never married.
RANDAL GORDON BABER. A skilful and prosperous agriculturist of Santa Barbara County, Randal Gordon Baber is busily and profitably engaged in the growing of walnuts on his well improved ranch, which is pleasantly located not far from the village of Goleta. A son of the late Randal Baber, he was born May 19, 1858, in Missouri.
Randal Baber was born in Kentucky and spent his early life in the Middle West. About 1859 he came with his family to California in search of a favorable opportunity of increasing his financial resources, and having purchased a tract of land in the Santa Rosa Valley was there engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, in 1882. He was of Revolutionary stock, and while in California was quite active in public affairs, serving for several years as justice of the peace. His wife, whose maiden name was Louise E. Hampton, died when her son Randal was a small child. She was born in South Carolina, and belonged to a family of considerable importance, having been a niece of Wade Hampton who served as an officer in both the Revolutionary war and the War of 1812.
Randal Gordon Baber was educated in the public schools of Sonoma County, living there until eighteen years of age. Migrating then to Nevada, he settled in Humboldt County, where for fifteen years he was successfully engaged in the cattle business. In 1891 Mr. Baber came back to California, and having secured his present ranch of ten and a half acres near Goleta has since devoted his time and labor to the raising of walnuts, as above mentioned.
Mr. Baber married Miss Ella M. Kellogg, a daughter of Philander Kellogg, and a niece of Frank E. Kellogg, who for many years served as secretary of the Santa Barbara Chamber of Commerce, and was an active member of the Walnut Growers' Association. Mrs. Baber died at the birth of their only child, a daughter who was named Ella May in memory of her mother. Mr. Baber is a democrat in politics, and as a man and a citizen stands high in the esteem of the community.
CARLO HAHN. The career of Carlo Hahn, now a prominent business man of Ventura, is an expression of practical and diversified activity, and in its range has invaded a number of fields of endeavor, all of which have profited by the breadth and ability which are distinctive features of his work and character. Also his activities have carried him to various countries, both on this continent and in Europe, and have served to make him a man of broad and comprehensive information. While a resident of California for but five years, he occupies a well established place among its men of business, as well as among its public-spirited citizens.
Mr. Hahn was born at Stuttgart, Wurttemberg, Germany, September 21, 1876, and is a son of William and Margaret Hahn. His education was secured in the public schools of Zurich, Switzerland, from which he was graduated at the age of fourteen years, following which he entered upon his career as an employe of a large machine factory, in which he mastered every detail of the business from the bottom up. When he was seventeen years of age he resigned his position with the machine company and went to Genoa, Italy, where he became manager of a company engaged in the importing of oil cloth, silks and cotton goods. This position he held for three years, when the young man resigned and returned to Zurich, there being made manager of a shirt and clothing factory, a capacity in which he acted during a period of two years. Following this, Mr. Hahn returned to Germany and served his time, two years, in the German army, and when he received his honorable discharge again went to Italy, this time locating at Spezia, and being made assistant manager for the L. Merello Flour Mills. For six years he continued to be connected with this enterprise, and then was transferred to Alexandria, Italy, as assistant general manager of the "Societa Commerciale," a tuna fish company with many subsidiary companies, being identified therewith until 1905. The "Societa Commerciale" then established a hat factory at Alexandria, and Mr. Hahn's fine business and executive abilities were recognized by his appointment to the office of superintendent of foreign trade. In discharging the duties of this position, Mr. Hahn traveled all over the world in opening agencies, and it was in this way that he first came to the United States, in 1907. In that year he opened his headquarters in this country at No. 220 Fifth Avenue, New York City, the business being known as the G. B. Borsalino Lazzaro et Company, hat manufacturers. Mr. Hahn remained in New York City for four years, but in 1911 came to Ventura, where he formed a partnership with G. Ferro. While their interests are combined here, Mr. Hahn still maintains his hat business in the East and Mr. Ferro his real estate business at Ventura. Mr. Hahn is one of those who have taken a keen and helpful interest in the business affairs of Ventura ever since his arrival, and at this time is second vice president of the Ventura Chamber of Commerce. He is president of the Ventura County Rifle Club and belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and in politics votes the republican ticket. He received his final naturalization papers in April, 1914. In all respects he is an honorable and creditable representative of the men to whose enterprise and ability and character is due the present prosperity of the community.
Mr. Hahn was married at Spezia, Italy, July 15, 1901, to Miss Teresa Ferro, and they are the parents of three children : Marguerite, aged thirteen years ; Mary, who is nine years old ; and August, who is eleven, all attending the public schools of Ventura.
EDWARD R. S. MCGRATH. A resident of California for more than fifty years, Mr. McGrath has here been engaged in the practice of law since 1888, and he has been one of the representative members of the bar of Santa Barbara County since 1890. With offices in the city of Santa Barbara, he has long controlled a substantial and important law business, and his prestige as a trial lawyer and well fortified counselor rests upon the firm basis of results achieved, the while his ability and sterling attributes of character have given him secure place in popular confidence and good will.
Mr. McGrath was born in New York City, on the 7th of November, 1853, and is a son of James A. and Priscilla (Taylor) McGrath, both of whom were born in the city of Baltimore, Maryland—the former of Scotch-Irish and the latter of English ancestry. James A. McGrath was the incumbent of a responsible executive office in the ordnance department of the government navy yard at Philadelphia at the time of his death, in 1864, and his widow long survived him, she having been summoned to the life eternal in 1891, her father having been captain of a packet ship and having been identified with navigation enterprise for many years.
Edward R. S. McGrath was a lad of about ten years at the time of his father's death and was carefully reared by his devoted mother, who gave to him the best possible educational advantages. As a youth he was a student in turn in Erasmus Hall Academy, at Flatbush, New York, Brainard Institute, New Jersey, Fergusonville Academy, New York, Hudson River Institute and Claverack College, at Claverack, that state, and in 1875, shortly after attaining to his legal majority, he came to California. In April of that year he established his residence in the City of San Francisco, where he remained about three years. He then removed across the bay to Oakland, later resided at Napa and finally he established his home at San Jose, where he served his novitiate in the work of his profession. He had given close attention to the study of law, under the direction of private preceptors, and he was admitted to the bar in San Francisco, by the Supreme Court of the State of California, on the 4th of September, 1888. He continued thereafter in the practice of his profession at San Jose until 1890, when he removed to Santa Barbara, which city has since been his place of residence and the center of his effective professional endeavors. He has at all times conducted an individual practice and has appeared in connection with numerous cases of importance, in both the civil and criminal departments of law, his law business at the present time being one of general order. Mr. McGrath has preferred to subordinate political activity and office-holding to the demands of his profession, though he has always been found as a staunch and effective advocate of the basic principles of the republican party and is significantly broad-minded and progressive in his civic attitude. He is a zealous communicant of the Protestant Episcopal Church and served as Junior Warden of the vestry of Trinity Parish, Santa Barbara, at the time when Rev. Wil- liam H. Ramsey was rector of the parish.
RUDOLPH E. PFEILER. Of the many phases or departments of the agricultural industry in Ventura County, hardly any one surpasses in importance that of the bean growing industry. One of the most successful men connected with that specialty of Ventura County agriculture is Mr. Rudolph E. Pfeiler.
A native son of Ventura County, where he was born October m, 1884, a son of Louis and Caroline Pfeiler, Rudolph is a product of the local schools and has made a success in life by application of his energies to some of the staple activities of this section.
He attended both the grammar and high schools up to the age of sixteen, and then went on his father's farm, where he remained until the age of twenty-one. Having thus laid a substantial groundwork for his independent career, he rented 100 acres from his father. That too acres he developed as a beet and bean plantation, and in 1911 he bought an additional too acres and since then fifty-eight acres more. All of this land now including 120 acres he holds by lease, is devoted to the growing of beans and sugar beets on an extensive scale. For a man only thirty- two years of age he has been prospered out of the ordinary, and still more can be expected of him in the future.
Mr. Pfeiler is a Catholic and a member of the Knights of Columbus and in politics a republican. November 29, 1911, he married in Ventura County Miss Mary Seckinger. Their three children are Margaret, Viola and Ethel.
JUDGE DANIEL S. BRANT. A public spirited and highly esteemed citizen of Santa Ynez, and a fine representative of the self-made men of our country, Judge Daniel S. Brant, is successfully engaged in mercantile pursuits, having through his own efforts built up a large and prosperous business. He was born in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, April 20, 1843, a son of James W. Brant, whose father was a rich planter in Virginia, owning at one time hundreds of slaves. James W. Brant was born and bred in Virginia, but later settled as a merchant in Pennsylvania, where, at the age of sixty-six years, he enlisted for service during the Civil war, and served in the Northern army for a period of nine months. His wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Gaff, was a life- long resident of Pennsylvania.
Obtaining a limited education in the common schools of his native state, Daniel S. Brant worked. as a farm hand during the days of his boyhood and youth. In 186o he came to Illinois and located in Canton, Fulton County. Soon after the breaking out of the Civil war he enlisted in Company 1, Eleventh Illinois Cavalry, in which he served bravely for four years, taking part in the Battle of Shiloh, and in many other engagements of minor importance. At the close of the conflict he was mustered out of service, his discharge, dated September 30, 1865, being signed by A. W. Campbell, captain of the Eighth Iowa Infantry, who was then mustering officer of West Tennessee, and countersigned by Capt. J. A. Davis, who had command of Company I, Eleventh Illinois Cavalry. Returning home, Mr. Brant worked out for a while, and was afterward engaged in mining in Colorado for a few months, but without sufficient pecuniary reward to warrant him in continuing in that industry. Going back to his old home, he learned the trade of plastering and brick laying, which he followed from 1868 until 1896, being located in the East for several years. Migrating to California, he located in Los Angeles, on July 15, 1883, and later went to Santa Ana, and from there to Riverside, where he met with good success as a brick manufacturer and a contractor. Coming to Santa Ynez in 1888, Mr. Brant followed his trade until 1897 when he embarked in his present business, which he is now conducting in a highly satisfactory manner, having built a large and constantly in- creasing patronage.
An active supporter of the principles of the republican party, Judge Brant has represented his party at the county conventions, and has served as a member of the County Court Committee. For seven years the judge was justice of the peace in Santa Ynez, and had charge of the Santa Ynez post office as postmaster for eleven years and nine months, from 1904 until 1915. He is a valued member of the Grand Army of the Republic and formerly belonged to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
At Atchison, Kansas, in 1867, Judge Brant married Miss. Martha L. Gay, who was born in Ohio, and died at her home in Santa Ynez in 1908. Five children were born of the union of Judge and Mrs. Brant, the eldest of whom lived but two short years. The four now living are as follows Charles W., engaged in the painting business ; H. E., proprietor of a garage in Santa Ynez ; Carrie E., who has remained with her father, and is ably assisting him in his business ; and Blanche G., wife of Ray Wheeler, bookkeeper for the Santa Barbara Lumber Company.
History of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura Counties, California
by: C M Gidney - Santa Barbara. Benjamin Brooks - San Luis Obispo. Edwin M Sheridan - Ventura
Volumes I & II - Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, ILL., 1917
Transcribed by: Carol Andrews, April 2009 - Pages 685 - 707
Site Updated: 3 February 2011
Martha A Crosley Graham
Rights Reserved: 2011