MILTON P. CARPENTER
Probably no calling in which men engage today calls for so much thoughtful attention and tactful consideration of the wants and needs of their patrons as does that of a funeral director, and he who succeeds in this profession needs to be a man full of sympathy and regard for the feelings and sensibilities of those with whom he deals and for whom he ministers. Among the successful and well known undertakers of the northern part of Solano county, none enjoys a greater need of respect and confidence among the people generally than Milton P. Carpenter, of Dixon. Mr. Carpenter is a native of this town and is the son of Milton and Carrie (McCracken) Carpenter, the former of whom was born on November 8, 1836, in Niles, Michigan. His parents were natives of the state of Missouri.
At the age of fourteen years the senior Milton Carpenter was apprenticed to learn the trade of wheelwright, and five years later he came to California, crossing the plains in a covered wagon, drawn by oxen. He located first in Napa county but later moved to Silveyville, Solano county, where he established a blacksmith shop and carriage shop. Later he also engaged in the undertaking business, making the coffins to order as they were needed, and it is worthy of note that he was the first undertaker in northern Solano county. When the Southern Pacific Railroad was completed to Dixon, he moved there, realizing that the general trend of settlement would be toward the railroad. He took an active part in the development of the new town, moving a number of stores and houses from Silveyville to Dixon and in other ways becoming an important factor in the welfare and prosperity of the town. He later became extensively engaged in the making of carriages, wagons and implements in that town and became one of the prominent and successful men of the community, where he lived up to the time of his death, which occurred on March 1, 1901. His wife was the daughter of John and Rebecca McCracken, the former of whom crossed the plains, as a member of the historic Donner party, in 1846. In 1852 he returned to the east and brought back to California a large drove of cattle. His wife was a native of Solano county.
Milton P. Carpenter received his educational training in the public schools of Dixon, after which he took a course in embalming in San Francisco. Upon the death of his father, in 1901, he succeeded to the management of the latter's various business interests. He still carries on the undertaking business, as well as a large machine and blacksmith shop and an auto accessory store. He is a busy man and has had success in all the enterprises in which he is engaged, being today numbered among the representative business men of his community. He has served as trustee of the town and as chairman of the board. Fraternally, he is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons and of Ben Ali Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, at Sacramento. In 1897 Mr. Carpenter married Miss Margaret McDermott and they are the parents of two sons, Edward R. and Milton W., who, under the firm name of Carpenter Bros., are in business in Dixon, selling automobile tires, batteries and radio sets and doing vulcanizing. Milton W. Carpenter is married and has a daughter, Betty May, who is three years old. The brothers are both members of the Masonic Order.
History of Solano County, California By Marguerite Hunt and
Napa County, California By Harry Lawrence Gunn. From Their Earliest Settlement To The Present Time.
Chicago. S.J. Clarke Pub. Co. 1926. 883 pages.
This page was last updated 26 Oct 2007
Copyright © 2007 Claire Martin. All files
on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced without specific
permission from Claire Martin or the file's contributor and/or author.