GenWeb Logo Image

Yolo County Place Names - Past and Present
(A - C)

[ HOME ]
* These place names were not on the present-day maps I checked.
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y  Z 
[INTRO]

Name

Location

Comments

Adams Canal (7) Flows in east/west direction across the Gordan Grant north of Madison According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the Adams Canal is located at 384219N, 1215138W, Woodland.
Adams Dam (2) * On Rancho Cañada de Capay on Cache Creek “The Adams Dam, which was located on Cache Creek about two miles west and a little north of Capay, no longer exists.” Construction was started by David Quincy Adams in 1857; completed in 1870 on Rancho Cañada de Capay. (2) pg. 534 It was built to irrigate agriculture.
Alder Canal (9) East of Esparto According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the Alder Canal is located at 384136N, 1215417W, Madison.
Amaranth (4)(5) * Road 16 north to south  
Angus Canyon (7) West side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Angus Canyon is identified as a valley located at 384815N, 1221200W, Guinda.
Antelope (1)(8)   On Interstate 5 to 3 miles south of the Colusa County line The Antelope post office was renamed Dunnigan in 1876. Antelope is today known as Dunnigan. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, at 385307N, 1215807W, Dunnigan.
Arcade (3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #99 in the past/ Jefferson Road today (3)(7) According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Arcade was in the Clarksburg District. Previously known as Lisbon.(11) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Arcade is located at 382833N, 1213443W, Clarksburg.
Argenta (3)(4) * South River Road/ Road E-9 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Argenta was in the Clarksburg District.
Arroz (3)(4) * Road 89 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Arroz was in the Cottonwood District. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Arroz is located at 383715N, 1215812W, Winters.
Ayrshire (4) [INDEX] Hwy. 88 in the past/ Road E11 today  
Babel Slough (3)(6)(7) Babel Slough and Babel Slough Road meet the Sacramento River at E-9 - the South River Road Babel Slough was also known as Bable Slough(6) Today Babel Slough extends between Road E-9 - the South River Road (at the Sacramento River) and the Sacramento River Deep Water Ship Channel, although Babel Road turns off at Pumphouse Road instead of continuing to follow Babel Slough to the channel. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Babel Slough is located at 382749N, 1213401W, Clarksburg.
Bald Mountain (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County  
Baltimore (1)   State Hwy. 87/ Road 113 & north of there today Baltimore was the name of the site on which Knight’s Landing was built.
Beatrice (3)(4)(5)(7) East central portion of Yolo County; Sacramento River (7); Road 117 today

USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Beatrice on Taylor Monument map (11) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Beatrice is located at 383836N, 1213542W, Taylor Monument.

Benjamin Canyon (7) Northwestern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Benjamin Canyon is located 385358N, 1221422W, Rumsey.
Bermuda (3)(4) * State Hwy. #99 in the past/ Jefferson Road today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Bermuda was in the Clarksburg District.
Berwick (5) * Road 16 north to south  
Big Canyon (9) Northwestern portion of Yolo County; west side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Big Canyon is located at 384554N, 1221418W, Guinda.
Big Lake (6) * Located near the furthest southeastern border between Yolo and Solano County near the Sacramento River Big Lake connected to Duck Slough (Oxford Slough today), according to the 1871 map of Yolo County. It appears Big Lake was located south of Lake Washington.
Bird Creek (5)(7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Bird Creek is located at 385136N, 1215520W, Zamora.
Bird Creek, Middle Fork (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Middle Fork Bird Creek is located at 385031N, 1220022W, Bird Valley.
Bird Creek, North Fork (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, North Fork Bird Creek is located at 385014N, 1215938W, Zamora.
Bird Valley (1)(5)(6)(7) Road 16 north to south; south of Capay Valley - Source (7) indicates Bird Valley is East of Capay Valley and southwest of Dunnigan By the 1870s Bird Valley area attracted Protestant German settlers. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Bird Valley is located at 385051N, 1215729W, Zamora.
Black Mountain (7) West side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Black Mountain is located at 384826N, 1221427W, Guinda.
Black's (1)   Today on Road 13 & Interstate 5 Black's was also known as Black's Station. In 1906 the name was changed to Zamora. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Black’s (today known as Zamora) is located at 384748N, 1215251W, Zamora.
Black's District (4) Northeast portion of Yolo County According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Blacks District included: Bretona, Zamora, Ronda, and Dufour.
Black's Station (1) On Road 13 & Interstate 5 today The plat for the town of Black's Station was filed in 1877. Blacks's Station was also known as Blacks. In 1906 the name was changed to Zamora.
Blue Ridge (9) Northwestern border of Yolo County and Napa County

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Blue Ridge is located at 384940N, 1221652W, Knoxville. (Blue Ridge Trail)

Bob Walker Canyon (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Bob Walker Canyon is located at 384848N, 1220638W, Bird Valley.
Bray Canyon (7) Southwestern corner of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Bray Canyon is located at 383055N, 1220448W, Monticello Dam.
Bretona (3)(4)(5) * State Hwy. #7 in the past/ Interstate 5 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Bretona was in the Black's District. Bretona may have been spelled Britona.(11)
Bretona Creek (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County west of Interstate 505 According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Bretona Creek is located at 384904N, 1215447W, Zamora.
Brick Chimney Canyon (7) West side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Brick Chimney Canyon is located at 384305N, 1220851W, Brooks.
Broderick (2)(4)(7) Between Hwys. 880 and 80 today along the Sacramento River opposite the City of Sacramento in Sacramento County Broderick was built on land originally known as Rancho Nueva Flandria. The townsite of Washington, later known as Broderick, was built on the northwestern corner of the ranch owned by the widow of James McDowell, originally part of Rancho Nueva Flandria. Travelers to and from the gold fields passed through Washington. Yolo County seat 1815 - 1857 & 1861 - 1862. Washington was the site of the first Pacific Coast Salmon cannery, established in spring 1864. According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Broderick was in the Washington District. In Jan. 1987, Broderick became part of the town of West Sacramento. (2) pg. 535. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Broderick is located at 383528N, 1213058W, Sacramento West.
Brooks (4)(7) In the Capay Valley in the northern western portion of Yolo County on Road 16 According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Brooks was in the Dunnigan District. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Brooks is located at 384430N, 1220849W, Brooks.
Brooks Rancho (3)(4)* Hwy. No. 50 in the past/ Road 16 So. about 1920  
Brown's Corner (1)(5)(7) State Hwy. #7 in the past/ today at the western edge of Woodland southeast of W. Main St. and Road 98

USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Brown's Corner on Woodland map.(11) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Brown's Corner is located at 384040N, 1214805W, Woodland.

Bryte (1)(3)(4)(7) Between Hwys. 880 and 80 today along the Sacramento River opposite the City of Sacramento in Sacramento County (7) Bryte was developed in late 1919/early 1920s, and it was made up of mainly immigrant families. According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Bryte was in the Washington District. Previosly known as Riverbank.(11) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Bryte is located at 383541N, 1213226W, Sacramento West.
Buckeye (1)(3)(5)(6) * 15 miles southwest of Woodland, east of Road 89 south and south Buckeye was also known as Buckeye Township. (1) At the fork of Buckeye Creek, J. P. Charles built a home in 1854 and then a boardinghouse and saloon along the Benicia-Colusa road. In May 1855 a post office was established at Buckeye. When the Buckeye post office was discontinued, the post office in Winters started in 1875 and the one at Buckeye was discontinued. After 1877 most of the buildings in Buckeye were moved to the town of Winters. Buckeye Creek appears on the 1871 Yolo County Map as lying in the southwest corner of Yolo County.
Buckeye Creek (1)(3)(5)(6)(7) State Hwy. #7 in the past/ Interstate 5 today in the northeastern portion of Yolo County Buckeye Creek originates in the foothills of the Buckeye Township. In 1870 it was dry in the summer. The Gazetteer indicates that ".Deep Arroyo is probably the old bed of Buckeye Creek."
Buckeye Creek, Little (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, at 385516N, 1220021W, Wildwood School.
Buckeye Creek, South Fork (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the South Fork of Buckeye Creek is located Yolo at 385428N, 1220101W, Wildwood School.
Bullock Bend (5)(7) [INDEX] Road 117 today in northeastern Yolo County; Sacramento River According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Bullock Bend is located at 385444N, 1214822W, Kirkville.
Cache Creek (the town) (7) At the northern border of Yolo County just below the Colusa County border  
Cache Creek (the creek) (1)(2)(7)   Flows out of Clear Lake in Lake County (1)pg. 9 Hudson Bay Company trappers.cached their furs along the river and smaller streams, one of which became known as Cache Creek. One of their camps, known to early settlers as French Camp, was situated in a grove of oaks on the north bank of Cache Creek one mile east of the present town of Yolo." (2) Cache Creek was originally known to the Hudson's Bay Company trappers as Rivière la Cache. (1)pg. 14. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Cache Creek is located at 384130N, 1214525W, Grays Bend.
  • Cache Creek Recreational Area (Yolo and Colusa Co.)
  • Putah - Cache Circumdrive (Putah Creek, Davis to Lake Beryessa) provided by The Putah-Cache Bioregion Project
  • Putah – Cache: A Thinking Mammal’s Guide to the Watershed, edited by Amy J. Boyer, Jan Goggans, Daniel Leroy, David Robertson, and Rob Thayer.
  • Cache Creek Settling Basin and Overflow (Putah-Cache Circumdrive provided by The Putah-Cache Bioregion Project)
  • Davis (in Yolo County) to Stebben's Cold Canyon Reserve (in Solano County) provided by The Putah-Cache Bioregion Project. "This trip, originally created for a UC Davis class, takes you from Davis to Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve, just below Lake Berryessa, and back again. It introduces the natural environment of the Vaca Mountains through a hike up a chaparral-lined canyon, and demonstrates the importance of natural processes, especially fires and floods, in shaping the landscape and in creating habitat for wildlife. It also shows a fairly typical California water project, to illustrate the positive and negative effects of such projects on fish and wildlife."
Cache Creek Cañon (3)     According to "The Western Shore Gazetteer," Capay Valley was known as Cache Creek Cañon until just a few years before the book was written in 1870. Cache Creek Cañon was the previous name for Capay Valley
Cache Creek Nature Preserve (Formally Teichert Meadows)    
Cacheville (4)       State Hwy. #7 in the past/ Interstate 5 today - On Cache Creek 4 miles north and one mile west of Woodland Cacheville was originally known as Cochran's Crossing. After 1849 Thomas Cochran built a hotel on the future site of the town of Yolo, which provided accommodations for people traveling along the west side of the Sacramento River, it became known as Cockran's Crossing. Next James A. Hutton built another hotel and the name changed to Hutton's Ranch or "Travelers' Home." (At 325 Main St. in Yolo, you can see the old Hutton house today.) In 1857 Hutton's Ranch was renamed Cacheville and became the Yolo County seat in 1857. ".Cacheville grew rapidly for a few years, but was outstripped by the more promising Yolo City, later known as Woodland, a few miles to the south.." (2) pg. 535 Cacheville's post office in 1870 was Yolo. (3) pg. 124 Cacheville is today known as Yolo. (7)
Cacheville Agricultural Ditch (3) * On Cache Creek  
Cacheville District (4) * Central Yolo County According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Cacheville District included: Yolo and possibly Peart (or Peart may have been in the Grafton District - hard to determine).
Cadenasso (1)(7) Four miles west of Capay on Road 16 in Capay Valley A short-lived community, which appeared on the 1920 Yolo County map in the Capay District. Cadenasso was also spelled Cadanassa.(4) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Cadenasso is located at 384252N, 1220741W, Brooks.
California Mine, The (3)* Near border of Lake County to the north. Quicksilver or cinnabar mine active in 1870 - The California Mine was also known as the California Quicksilver Mining Co. (6)
Canterbury Mountain (7) Southwestern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Canterbury Mountain is located at 383835N, 1220701W, Esparto.
Capay (1)(3)(4)(6)(8)(7) Hwy. No. 50 in the past/ today on Road 16 On the 1871 Yolo Co. map, Capay is listed as the post office for "Capay or Dogtown."Capay was previously known as Munchville and Langville. Langville was laid out in 1874. Langville's name was changed to Capay City and then to Capay about 1889.(11) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the town of Capay is located at 384228N, 1220249W, Esparto.
Capay City (1)(3)(6) * In Capay Valley about 4 miles of Langville and 24 miles northwest of Woodland Capay City was previously named Munchville. In 1858 the Capay City and other surrounding land was subdivided into parcels. Capay City was later changed to Capay.
Capay Dam (4)(7) In the Capay Valley east of Cadenasso According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Capay Dam is located at 384248N, 1220500W, Esparto.
Capay District (4)(6)* Northeast corner of Yolo County (6) According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Capay District included: Brooks, Rancho Canada de Capay, Cadanassa, Capay, and the Capay Dam.(4)
Capay Hills (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County; east of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the Capay Hills are located at 384555N, 1220705W, Bird Valley.
Capay Valley (2)(3)(7)   In the northwestern portion of Yolo County. Capay Valley was previously known as Cache Creek Cañon. Capay Valley extends for about 20 miles with an average width of 1 mile. Cache Creek runs through the valley. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the Capay Valley is located at 384239N, 1220246W, Esparto.
Capay Valley Water Ditch (6) * Ran along the west side of Capay Valley, according to the 1871 Yolo County map  
Carey Canyon (7) West side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Carey Canyon is located 384346N, 1221009W, Brooks.
Casey's Flat (6)(7) West of Capay Valley Casey's Flat was also known as Casey Flats. (7) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Casey's Flat is located at 384732N, 1221436W, Guinda.
Cashmere (5) * Road 16 north to south  
Central (3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #99 in the past/ Jefferson Road today

USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Central on Clarksburg map.(11)

Chickahominy Slough (3)(4)(7) Road 89 today; southwestern and south central portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Chickahominy Slough is located at 383343N, 1215206W, Merritt.
Chiles (3)(4) * Road 32 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Chiles was in the Putah District.
Charleston (3)(5)(6) * Road 117 about 1920 In 1870 Charleston was the post office for the town of Fremont. On the 1871 Yolo Co. map, Charleston is listed as the post office located at Charleston.
Chase Canyon (9) Northwestern portion of Yolo County; west side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Chase Canyon is located at 385035N, 1221352W, Guinda.
Chicory Bend (3)(7) East central portion of Yolo County on the Sacramento River In 1860 cultivation and manufacturing of chicory took place on the Sacramento River south of Washington. Chicory was used as a substitute for coffee. (3) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Chicory Bend is located at 383144N, 1213142W, Sacramento West.
Chimney Rock (9) Northwestern portion of Yolo County; west side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Chimney Rock is located at 384141N, 1221012W, Brooks.
China Bend (4)(7) Road 117 today in northeastern Yolo County; Sacramento River (7) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, China Bend is located at 385413N, 1214752W, Kirkville.
Citrona (3)(4)(7) Road 89 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Citrona was in the Cottonwood District. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Citrona is located at 383801N, 1215813W, Madison.
Clarksburg (2)(7)   Southeastern portion of Yolo County n the west bank of the Sacramento River; Road E9 today (7) Clarksburg was originally known as Clarksburgh. In 1876 the Clarksburgh post office was established. In 1893 the named was changed to Clarksburg. (1) pg.30 The present town of Clarksburg was built in the 1920s. 2) pg. 537. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Clarksburg is located at 382514N, 1213134W, Clarksburg.
Clarksburg District (4) Southeastern, panhandle portion of Yolo County According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Clarksburg District included: Arcade, Argenta, Bermuda, Coniston, Newtown, Central, Greendale, Silverdale, Sorroca, and Valdez.
Clay Bank Bend (7) East central portion of Yolo County on the Sacramento River According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Clay Bank Bend is located at 383046N, 1213255W, Sacramento West.
Cobbey Canyon (9) Northwestern portion of Yolo County; west side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Cobbey Canyon is located at 384717N, 1221132W, Guinda.
Cochran's Crossing (2) Along the west side of the Sacramento River about 10 miles west of Fremont After 1849 Thomas Cochran built a hotel on the future site of the town of Yolo, which provided accommodations for people traveling along the west side of the Sacramento River. This site then became known as Cockran's Crossing. (2)pg 535 Cochran's Crossing was later changed to Hutton's Ranch or Travelers' Home and then to Cacheville. Lastly, the name was changed to the present-day name of Yolo.
Colusa Drainage Canal (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the Colusa Drainage Canal is located at 385129N, 1215403W, Zamora.
Conaway (3)(4)* State Hwy. 50/Road 16 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Conaway was in the Woodland District. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Conaway is located at 384038N, 1214019W, Grays Bend.
Coniston (3)(4)* State Hwy. #99 in the past/ Jefferson Road today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Coniston was in the Clarksburg District.

USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Coniston on Clarksburg map.(11)

Coranco (3)(4)* State Hwy. 87/ Road 113 & north of there today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Coranco was in the Grafton District.
Corfu (4)* Road 16 north to south  
Cottonwood (3)(4)* Road 87 today 12 miles west of Woodland Cottonwood was named for Cottonwood Creek. The first store was built in 1852. The Cache Creek post office in Cottonwood ended in 1877. Many of the homes and businesses in Cottonwood were moved to Madison. According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Cottonwood was in the Cottonwood District at that tiime. Today only the Cottonwood Cemetery and one home remain of the Cottonwood community.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Cottonwood on Madison map. (11)
Cottonwood Canyon (7) Northwestern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Cottonwood Canyon is located at 383903N, 1220340W, Esparto.
Cottonwood District (4) Central, western portion of Yolo County. According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Cottonwood District included: Arroz, Citrona, Cottonwood, and Madison.
Cottonwood Flat In the Cottonwood area According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Cottonwood Flat is located at 383731N, 1220645W, Esparto.
Cottonwood Slough (7) South of Capay and Esparto According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Cottonwood Slough is located at 384003N, 1215550W, Madison.
Cottonwood Spring   According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, at 384710N, 1220813W, Guinda.
Cross Canyon (7) West side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Cross Canyon is located at 385035N, 1221317W, Guinda.
Curtis (3)(4)(5)* [INDEX] According to the 1920 Yolo County map, Curtis was in the Grafton District  

Sources
(1) Yolo County: Land of Changing Patterns, An Illustrated History, By Joann L. Larkey and Shipley Walters, Windsor Publications, Inc., 1987.
(2) Historic Spots in California, by Mildred Booke Hoover, Hero Eugene Rensch, Ethel Grace Rensch, William N. Abeloe; Revised by Douglas E. Kyle, Stanford University Press, Stanford, California, 1990.
(3) "The Western Shore Gazetteer and Commercial Directory, For the State of California.Yolo County," C. P. Sprague & H. W. Atwell, Woodland, Yolo County, 1870, Reprinted by Higginson Book Company, Salem Massachusetts.
(4) List of Locales from the Yolo Co. Map circa 1920 on the Yolo Co. GenWeb page
(5) Yolo County Locales from the map on the wall of the Yolo County Archives (as of July 1999)
(6) Map of Yolo County, California, Compiled From Official and Recent Surveys By J. S. Henning, Surveyors & Civil Engineers, May, 1871, Britton & Rey, S.F., Note (on map) The original copy of this map was found on the Wyckoff Ranch Near Woodland.This print was made from the final tracing on August, 1961, W.R. Jones, Yolo County Engineer's Office. (You can obtain copies of this map at the Yolo County Archives.)
(7) Northern California Atlas and Gazetteer, DeLorme, Freeport, Maine, 1995.
(8) Rand McNally's Pioneer Atlas of the American West, Containing Facsimile Reproductions of Maps and Indexes from the 1876 First Edition of Rand, McNally & Co.'s Business Atlas of the Great Mississippi Valley and Pacific Slope. Rand McNally & Co., Chicago, New York, San Francisco, 1969, pgs. 19-24.
(9) Solano and Yolo Counties Map, California State Automobile Association, San Francisco, California.
(10) Ely's Station, Yolo County, California; Madison, Yolo County California, California Warehouse Book, San Pablo California, Dakin Publishing Co., California, 1897?, Vlad Shkurkin, 1983, pg. 39. (University of California, Berkeley, Earth Sciences, Microfiche 2089, no. 12, 3 maps on one page)
(11) United States Geological Survey Geographical Names, December 1999

 

[ TOP OF PAGE ]
yolmail.gif - 14.9 K Peggy B. and Patrick Perazzo
Horizontal Bar - 16.7 K
Copyright 1996- - All Rights Reserved.