GenWeb Logo Image

Yolo County Place Names Past and Present
( D thru K )

[ HOME ]
* These place names were not on the present-day maps I checked.
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y  Z 
[INTRO]

Name

Location

Comments

Daisie   Listed on Liberty Island U.S.G.S. map
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. regarding Daisie on (11)
Davis (1)(2)(4)(7)(9) State Hwy. #7 in the past / Interstate 5 today

City of Davis
23 Russell Blvd.
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 757-5602
Davis was previously known as Davisville. Davisville began in the late 1860s, although the area was settled by Jerome C. Davis in the early 1850s. When the post office was established in Davis in 1907, the name Davisville was changed to Davis. The City of Davis was incorporated in 1917. According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Davis was in the Putah District. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Davis is located at 383242N, 1214422W, Davis.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Davis on Davis map.(11)
  • City of Davis Home Web Page
  • Davis Chamber of Commerce
  • Davis Community Network
  • Davis Enterprise Newspaper home page.
  • Davis (in Yolo County) to Stebben’s Cold Canyon Reserve (in Solano County) provided by The Putah-Cache Bioregion Project
    “This trip, originally created for a UC Davis class, takes you from Davis to Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve, just below Lake Berryessa, and back again. It introduces the natural environment of the Vaca Mountains through a hike up a chaparral-lined canyon, and demonstrates the importance of natural processes, especially fires and floods, in shaping the landscape and in creating habitat for wildlife. It also shows a fairly typical California water project, to illustrate the positive and negative effects of such projects on fish and wildlife.”
  • Lincoln Highway Markers in Davis: According to the Nov. 2012 Yolo County Historical Society Newsletter, there are two of these markers in Davis: “One stands at the corner of Russel and B. The other was relocated along the bike path at Russell and Arthur. Both were moved from their original locations, however they are original concrete marker with a blue L on a red, white and blue background above a Lincoln medallion....”
Davis Canyon   According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Davis Canyon is located at 385551N, 1222238W, Wilson Valley.
Davis Creek (6)(7) Farthest upper northwest corner of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Davis Creek is located at 385551N, 1222239W, Glascock Mountain.
Davisville (2) State Hwy. #7 in the past/ Interstate 80 today; On the north side of Putah Creek, 10 miles south and 1 mile east of Woodland

Davisville began in the late 1860s, although the area was settled by Jerome C. Davis in the early 1850s. When the post office was established in Davis in 1907, the name Davisville was changed to Davis.

Dead Cat Alley (6)(7) In Woodland “The History of Dead Cat Alley,” by the Daily Democrat staff.
Deep Arroyo (3) In the southeast corner of Buckeye Township. Deep Arroyo in 1870 was about 8 miles long. "The Western Shore Gazetteer" indicates: “It (Deep Arroyo) probably connected with Willow Slough at one time, and is doubtless the old bed of Buckeye Creek. It is known as 'Dry Slough,' in Plainfield, where it approaches Willow Slough.” “Deep Arroyo is probably the old bed of Buckeye Creek.”
Derby Camp (5) * Road 117 today  
Devil's Gate (2) Located in Putah Canyon, 7 mi. west of Winters on SR 128

"Putah Creek, which flows from the distant summit of Mount Cobb in Lake County, enters Yolo County just below Devil's Gate where the Monticello Dam was constructed in 1957, which created Lake Berryessa. Devil's Gate is a jagged rock outcropped at the head of Putah Canyon Yolo, Napa and Solano Counties meet.

The sandstone quarry operated by Benoit Bertholet during the 1890s through about 1908 was located at Devil's Gate along Putah Creek.

  • Putah - Cache Circumdrive (Putah Creek, Davis to Lake Beryessa) The Putah-Cache Bioregion Project (See Solano Diversion Dam in article.)
D-Q University (7) Located on Road 31, seven miles west of the city of Davis D-Q University is an accredited two-year community college dedicated to the progress of Indigenous peoples. It is a tribally-controlled community college, and is the only tribal college in California.
Dry Creek (3)(7) 1) Originates at the foothills in the northwestern part of Yolo County 2) Salt Creek appears on today's maps in the southwestern portion of Yolo County The waters of Dry Creek are discharged in the Dunnigan area. The Gazetteer indicated that Dry Creek was dry in the summer. (3) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Dry Creek is located at 383053N, 1215823W, Winters.
Dry Slough (3) * South of Woodland Dry Slough was a "dry ravine" in 1870, according to "The Western Shore Gazetteer" except after storms when surplus water would use it to drain the land. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Dry Slough is located at 383611N, 1214559W, Merritt,
Duck Slough (6) * Crosses furthest southeast border between Yolo and Solano County near the Sacramento River. In the May, 1871 map it indicates Duck Slough met Big Lake.
Dufour (3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #7 in the past/ along Interstate 5 today between Zamora to the north and Yolo to the south. According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Dufour was in the Black's District. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Dufour is located at 384543N, 1215031W, El Dorado Bend.
Dunnigan (1)(3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #7 in the past/ along Interstate 5 today; about 7 miles northwest of Zamora The Antelope post office was renamed Dunnigan in 1876.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Dunnigan on Dunnigan map.(11)
  • Dunnigan
Dunnigan Creek (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County; north of Dunnigan According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Dunnigan Creek is located at 385307N, 1215539W, Dunnigan.
Dunnigan Hills (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Dunnigan Hills are located at Yolo 384740N, 1215715W, Zamora.
Dunnigan Hills District (1)(4) [INDEX] Northern Yolo County along the Benicia-Colusa road (1)   By the 1870s the hill district of Dunnigan Hills attracted Protestant German settlers attracted Protestant German settlers. (1) According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Dunnigan District included: Dunnigan and Tyndall.
Eastham (3)(4) * State Hwy. #88 in the past/ Road E11 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Eastham was in the Grafton District.
Edgar Peak (7) Southwestern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Edgar Peak is located at 383655N, 1220542W, Monticello Dam.
Eldorado Bend (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County; Sacramento River According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Eldorado Bend is located at 385130N, 1214658W, Eldorado Bend in Sutter County.
Elkhorn (5) * State Hwy. #50 in the past/ Road 16 today Elkhorn later became known as Fremont.(11).

USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Fremont/Elkhorn on Grays Bend map.(11)

Elk Slough (3)(7) South of Clarksburg in the southeastern part of Yolo County In 1870 Elk Slough originated about 19 miles below the town of Washington (Broderick today). On a southerly course, it ended near the head of Sutter Slough 6 miles from its source. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, El Slough is located at Yolo 381957N, 1213458W, Courtland.
El Macero (7) South of Interstate 80 today east of Davis

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, El Madero is located at 383249N, 1214135W, Davis.

El Rio Villa Listed on U.S.G.S. Names info. list on the Winters map.(11) According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, El Rio Villa is located at 383205N, 1215635W, Winters.
Elvaton Listed on U.S.G.S. Names info. list on the Woodland map.(11) USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Elvaton on Woodland map. (11)
Ely's Station (10) Exact location is unknown, possibly near Putah Creek. Possibly near Madison and Norton.
Enos Creek (7) Southwestern corner of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Enos Creek is located at 383309N, 1220147W, Monticello Dam.
Esparto (3)(4)(7)   Hwy. No. 50 in the past/ today on Road 16 Esperanza, the first name for the town of Esparto, was built on the formerly named Rhoada Stephens Bonynge tract. Esparto's post office was established in 1890.
Esparto District (4) Central part of Yolo County According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Esparto District included: Esparto
Esperanza (1) [INDEX]   Esperanza was later changed to Esparto.
Fairview District (1)(6)* West of Prairie; east of Capay Valley but north of the Hungry Hollow District By the 1870s Fairview area attracted Protestant German settlers.
Fiske Canyon (7) Southwestern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Fiske Canyon is located at 383953N, 1220809W, Brooks.
Fourmile Bend (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County on the Sacramento River According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Fourmile Bend is located at 385030N, 1214338W, Knights Landing.
Fourness (3)(4) * Road 117 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Fourness was in the Washington District.
Freeport Ferry (3) * 31 miles southeast of Woodland, 13 miles below the town of Washington. Freeport Ferry was also known as Jackson's Ferry. Established in 1852. Connected the Yolo shore with the town of Freeport as a buoy ferry with a large boat.
Fremont (3)(4)(5)(6) * Road 117 today; about 9 miles northeast of Woodland on the west shore of the Sacramento River across from Sacramento where the Feather River and Sacramento River meet Fremont was previously known as Elkhorn.(11) The town of Fremont was established in March, 1849 promoted by Jonas Spect and Thomas B. Winston (1) pg. 27. Fremont was the original county seat from 1850 to 1851. Some of the buildings were moved to Marysville, Knights Landing, Sacramento and onto ranches. In 1870 there was one house left in Fremont. The post office for Fremont was Charleston. According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Fremont was in the Washington District. Today on privately-owned land.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Fremont on Grays Bend map. (11)
Fremont Weir (7) East central portion of Yolo County; Sacramento River  
Fremont Weir (7) East central portion of Yolo County; Sacramento River  
French Camp (1)(2) * [INDEX] French Camp is located in San Joaquin County French Camp, used by fur trappers as a rendezvous point, was located in a grove of oaks on the north bank of Cache Creek and was located 1 mile downstream east from the town of Yolo. (1) pg. 14 & (2)
Garic (3)(4) * State Hwy. 87/ Road 113 & north of there today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Garic was in the Woodland District.
Garcia Bend (7) East central portion of Yolo County; Sacramento River According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Garcia Bend is located at 382958N, 1213318W, Clarksburg in Sacramento County.
Glide Landing (4) * State Hwy. #99/Jefferson Road today

USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Riverview/Glide Landing on Sacramento West map. (11)

Goodnow Slough (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County; east of Hungry Hollow area and southwest of Dunnigan Hills According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Goodnow Slough is located at 384144N, 1215440W, Madison.
Gordon Township (1)(4) Road 16 north to south  
Gordon's Ranch (2) * Gordon's was about 10 miles west of Woodland. Today Gordon's Grant is bounded by Road 94B on the east, Road 16 on the south, Road 89 on the west, and Road 19 on the north. Gordon's Ranch was previously known as Rancho Quesesoni and it was also known as Gordon's Grant. (5) Gordon's Ranch was sold in 1866. A family cemetery remains near the former homesite on County Road 19 north of Cache Creek. The location was marked with a Native Daughters of the Golden West plaque placed in 1948. (2) pg. 534
Grafton (3) * At Knight's Landing The name of Knight's Landing's post office in 1870 was Grafton.
Grafton District (4) * Northeast corner of Yolo County at the Sacramento River According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Grafton District included: Eastham, Knight's Landing, Coranco, Curtis, Saccarus, Laugenour, and possibly Peart (or Peart might have been in the Cacheville Dist.)
Grand Island (3) Today Grand Island is in Sacramento County According to "The Western Shore Gazetteer.Yolo County," Grand Island was a part of Yolo Co. 1870. In 1870 Grand Island was the largest island in the county and one of the largest on the Sacramento River. Today Grand Island is in Sacramento County. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Grand Island is located at GRAND ISLAND island Sacramento 381408N, 1213441W, Isleton.
Gravel Pits (7) Two sites: 1) Northeast of Esparto off of Interstate 505; 2) northwest of Woodland along Cache Creek  
Grays Bend (7) East central portion of Yolo County on the Sacramento River According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Grays Bend is located at 384442N, 1214021W, Grays Bend.
Green Listed on U.S.G.S. Names info. list on the Liberty Island map.(11) Listed on U.S.G.S. Names info. list on the Liberty Island map.(11)
Greendale (3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #99 in the past/ Jefferson Road today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Greendale was in the Clarksburg District. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Greendale is located at 382225N, 1213506W, Courtland.
Green's Lake (5)(9) State Hwy. #99/Jefferson Road today Green's Lake was also known as AKA Green Lake. According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, is located at 383340N, 1213546W, Sacramento West.
Guinda (7) In the Capay Valley along Road 16
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Guinda is located at 384945N, 1221134W, Guinda.
  • Esparto District Chamber of Commerce (serving Madison, Esparto, Capay , Brooks, Guinda and Rumsey)
Guinda District (1)(3)(4) * [INDEX] Hwy. No. 50/Road 16 So. (1920) On the west side of Cache Creek Guinda Colony Tract was laid out in 1887, which included the Guinda townsite. (1)
Hamilton Canyon (7) West side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Hamilton Canyon is located at 384945N, 1221241W, Guinda.
Hamilton Creek (9) Northwestern portion of Yolo County; west side of Capay Valley  
Haribinson (5) * Road 117 today  
Haviland (3)(4)(5) * Road 117 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Haviland was in the Washington District.
Hawk's Ferry (3) * Sutterville and Yolo shores (in 1870)  
Hebron (3)(4)(5) * State Hwy. 50/Road 16 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Hebron was in the Woodland District.

USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Hebron on Grays Bend map.(11)

Hershey (4)(5)(7) State Hwy. #7 in the past/ Interstate 5 today just south of Yolo County/Colusa County border (7)

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Hershey is located at 385532N, 1215944W, Dunnigan.

Hesperian College (3) * Located in Woodland. Hesperian College was erected in 1860/1861, and was in operation in 1870. (3)
Highland Canal (7) Southwestern corner of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Highland Canal is located at 383245N, 1215908W, Winters.
Hog Canyon (5) * Road 16 north to south According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Hog Canyon is located at 384125N, 1220922W, Brooks.
Howard (5) * Road 117 today  
Hungry Hollow Canal (9) North of Capay According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the Hungry Hollow Canal is located at 384429N, 1220216W, Esparto.
Hungry Hollow District (1)(3)(6)(7) Along the Benicia-Colusa road in the past (1)pg.33; West of Cache Creek bordering the foothills and east of Capay Valley "The Western Shore Gazetteer" indicates that Hungry Hollow was a portion of the Cottonwood Township. On today's maps Hungry Hollow is shown as being located west of Road 85/E4, and about opposite and to the east of Brooks, northwest of the town of Capay.
Hungry Hollow Ford (3) * At Lang's or the beginning of Capay Valley  
Hutton's Ranch or "Travelers' Home"   [INDEX] State Hwy. #7 in the past/ Interstate 5 today About 10 miles west of Fremont Hutton's Ranch or "Travelers' Home" was originally known as Cochran's Crossing. It later became known as Cacheville and is presently known as Yolo.
Jackson's Ferry (3) * 31 miles southeast of Woodland, 13 miles below the town of Washington; Freeport and Yolo Shores Jackson's Ferry was also known as the Freeport Ferry. It was established in 1852 and connected the Yolo shore with the town of Freeport.
Jacob's Corner (5)(7) Road 16 today at intersection of Road 16 and Road 93

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Jacob's Corner is located at 384018N, 1215336W, Madison.

Jefferson (4) * Central eastern portion of Yolo County along the Sacramento River According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Jefferson was in the Washington District.
Jimeno (3)(4) * State Hwy. #88 in the past/Road E11 today  
Johnson Canyon (7) [INDEX] West side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Johnson Canyon is located at 385125N, 1221333W, Guinda.
Kiesel (3)(4)(5)(7) East central portion of Yolo County; Road 117 today on the Sacramento River

On the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, there are two locations given for Kiesel: 383947N, 1213656W, Taylor Monument & 383948N, 1213656W, Taylor Monument.

King Canyon (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County On the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, King's Canyon is located at 385112N, 1220743W, Guinda.
Knight's Landing (2)(3)(4)(6)(7) State Hwy. 87/ Road 113 & north of there today. Knights Landing is located 8½ miles north and 3½ miles east of Woodland on the Sacramento River at the junction of the lower Sycamore Slough Knight's Landing was on land previously known as the Yodoi rancheria. (1) pg. 19 Prior to the creation of Knight's Landing, it was known as Baltimore. Knight's Landing was the original home of William Knight, who established a ferry at that site. This location was originally known as Baltimore. The official town plat for Knights Landing was filed in August 1870. On the 1871 Yolo Co. map, Grafton is listed as the post office for Knight's Landing. A fire in 1938 destroyed most of the buildings along Front street. Knight's Landing was the site of two movies in the 1920s: "Showboat" and "Steamboat Round the Bend." (2) pg. 536
  • On the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Knights Landing is located at 384759N, 1214302W, Knights Landing.
Knight's Landing Ferry (3) * At Knight's Landing. One of the oldest and was owned by J. Snowball and others.
Knight's Landing Ridge Cut (canal)   On the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the Knight's Landing Ridge Cut is located at 384555N, 1214202W, Knights Landing.
Kobe [INDEX]   USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Kobe on Sacramento West map.(11)

Sources
(1) Yolo County: Land of Changing Patterns, An Illustrated History, By Joann L. Larkey and Shipley Walters, Windsor Publications, Inc., 1987.
(2) Historic Spots in California, by Mildred Booke Hoover, Hero Eugene Rensch, Ethel Grace Rensch, William N. Abeloe; Revised by Douglas E. Kyle, Stanford University Press, Stanford, California, 1990.
(3) "The Western Shore Gazetteer and Commercial Directory, For the State of California.Yolo County," C. P. Sprague & H. W. Atwell, Woodland, Yolo County, 1870, Reprinted by Higginson Book Company, Salem Massachusetts.
(4) List of Locales from the Yolo Co. Map circa 1920 on the Yolo Co. GenWeb page
(5) Yolo County Locales from the map on the wall of the Yolo County Archives (as of July 1999)
(6) Map of Yolo County, California, Compiled From Official and Recent Surveys By J. S. Henning, Surveyors & Civil Engineers, May, 1871, Britton & Rey, S.F., Note (on map) The original copy of this map was found on the Wyckoff Ranch Near Woodland.This print was made from the final tracing on August, 1961, W.R. Jones, Yolo County Engineer's Office. (You can obtain copies of this map at the Yolo County Archives.)
(7) Northern California Atlas and Gazetteer, DeLorme, Freeport, Maine, 1995.
(8) Rand McNally's Pioneer Atlas of the American West, Containing Facsimile Reproductions of Maps and Indexes from the 1876 First Edition of Rand, McNally & Co.'s Business Atlas of the Great Mississippi Valley and Pacific Slope. Rand McNally & Co., Chicago, New York, San Francisco, 1969, pgs. 19-24.
(9) Solano and Yolo Counties Map, California State Automobile Association, San Francisco, California.
(10) Ely's Station, Yolo County, California; Madison, Yolo County California, California Warehouse Book, San Pablo California, Dakin Publishing Co., California, 1897?, Vlad Shkurkin, 1983, pg. 39. (University of California, Berkeley, Earth Sciences, Microfiche 2089, no. 12, 3 maps on one page)
(11) United States Geological Survey Geographical Names, December 1999

 

[ TOP OF PAGE ]
yolmail.gif - 14.9 K Peggy B. and Patrick Perazzo
Horizontal Bar - 16.7 K
Copyright 1996- - All Rights Reserved.