GenWeb Logo Image

Yolo County Place Names of the Past and Present
( S thru Z )

[ HOME ]
* These place names were not on the present-day maps I checked.
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y  Z 
[INTRO]

Name

Location

Comments

Saccarus (3)(4) Road 102 According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Saccarus was in the Grafton District.
Sacramento River Borders the eastern border of Yolo County  
Salt Arroyo (3)(9) Salt Arroyo originates in the Buckeye Township in the first range of high. (3) Northwestern portion of Yolo County; west side of Capay Valley (9)

Salt Arroyo originates in the Buckeye Township in the first range of high hills and water goes into Buckeye Creek during the winter.

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Salt Arroyo is located at 384150N, 1220725W, Brooks.

Salt Canyon (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Salt Canyon is located at 385001N, 1220657W, Bird Valley.
Salt Creek (7) Western side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Salt Creek is located at 2 locations: (1) 383557N, 1220208W, Monticello Dam, and (2) 384255N, 1220538W, Brooks.
Sauturne (5) Road 16 north to south  
Saxon (5) Road 38 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Saxon was in the Putah District.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Saxon on Saxon map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Saxon is located at 382800N, 1213919W, Saxon.
Silverdale (3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #99 in the past/Jefferson Road today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Silverdale was in the Clarksburg District.
Smith (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County; south of Zamora According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Smith is located at 2 locations: (1) 384522N, 1221335W, Guinda, and (2) 385129N, 1221551W, Knoxville.
Smith Canyon (7) West side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Smith Canyon is located at 384610N, 1221113W, Guinda.
Smith's Ferry (3)(5)(6) On the Marysville Road, about 14 mi. north from Woodland in the past/ Road 117 today  
Sorroca (3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #99 in the past/Jefferson Road today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Sorroca was in the Clarksburg District.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Sorroca on Courtland map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Sorroca is located at 382032N, 1213632W, Courtland.
Spencer Canyon (9) Northwestern portion of Yolo County – west side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Spencer Canyon is located at 383907N, 1220743W, Brooks.
Springfield (7) Central Yolo County north of Woodland  
Stephens' Ditch On Cache Creek  
Still Gulch (9) Northwestern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Still Gulch is located at 385434N, 1221814W, Glascock Mountain.
South Fork Putah Creek  

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, South Fork Putah Creek is located at 383105N, 1213630W, Sacramento West.

Sugarfield (7) On Road 113 north of Woodland today
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Sugarfield on Woodland map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Sugarfield is located at 384250N, 1214509W, Woodland.
Sugar Loaf (7) Northeast of Cadenasso According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Sugarloaf is located at 384349N, 1220645W, Esparto.
Sulphur Springs (3) In Cottonwood Cañon  
Surrey (5) Road 16 north to south  
Sutter Slough (3) South of Clarksburg; south of Elk Slough; in the southeastern part of Yolo County

In existence in 1870.

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Sutter Slough is located at 2 locations: (1) Sacramento County, 383328N, 1212052W, Carmichael, and (2) Solano County, 381516N, 1213558W, Courtland.

Sutterville (5) State Hwy. #99/Jefferson Road today  
Sutterville Ferry (3) Below the town of Washington about 3 ½ miles The Sutterville Ferry connected Sutterville at McGregor's Ranch. It was owned by Samuel Hawk.
Swingle (3)(4)(5)(7) North of Interstate 80 and Road 32A today east of Davis According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Swingle was in the Putah District. In 1870 there was a dairy called Swingle's Dairy at the sink of Putah Creek. (3)
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Swingle on Davis map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Swingle is located at 383330N, 1214028W, Davis.
Sycamore Slough (3)(5) [INDEX] Road 117 today; north of Knight's Landing

About 15 miles of the Sycamore Slough is in Yolo County. Yolo County’s major fishery in 1870 was at the mouth of Sycamore Slough near Knight's Landing.

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Sycamore Slough is located at 385549N, 1215300W, Dunnigan.

Tamarack Canyon (9) Northwestern portion of Yolo County; west side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Tamarack Canyon is located at 384009N, 1221007W, Brooks.
Tancred (1)(5)(7) Road 16 north to south, 6 miles above Cadenasso in the Capay Valley Tancred was a communally owned area organized by the Western Cooperative Colonization and Improvement Company in 1890. The Tancred post office was in operation from 1892 to 1932.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Tancred on Guinda map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Tancred is located at 384555N, 1220945W, Guinda.
Target (5) State Hwy. #50 in the past/ Road 16 today  
Taylor Canyon (5)(7) Road 16 north to south; west side of Capay Valley According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Taylor Canyon is located at 384253N, 1220924W, Brooks.
Teichert Meadows   (See Cache Creek Nature Preserve)
Thompson Canyon (9) Southwestern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Thompson Canyon is located at 383049N, 1220550W, Monticello Dam.
Todhunter's Lake (9) Northwest of West Sacramento  
Travelers' Home     Also known as Hutton's Ranch and later Yolo
Tut Canyon (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Tut Canyon is located at 384820N, 1220614W, Bird Valley.
Tyndall (3)(4) State Hwy. #88 in the past/ Road E 11 today  
Tyndall Landing (7) [INDEX] Northeastern portion of Yolo County along the Sacramento River Is this the same site as Tyndall?
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Tyndall Landing on Kirkville map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Tyndall Landing is located at 385259N, 1214901W, Kirkville.
Tyndall Mound  

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Tyndall Mound is located at 385306N, 1214908W, Kirkville.

Union School Slough (5)(7) Road 16 north to south; southwestern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Union School Slough is located at 383647N, 1214904W, Merritt.
University of California - Davis (7) [INDEX] Southern portion of Yolo County at Davis
  • University of California - Davis Home Page
  • University of California – Information Center for the Environment
  • Putah - Cache Circumdrive (Putah Creek, Davis to Lake Beryessa) provided by The Putah-Cache Bioregion Project
  • Putah Creek Field Trips at the University of California--Davis (The Background section includes a short history of Putah Creek and four different field trips at the university.)
  • Davis (in Yolo County) to Stebben's Cold Canyon Reserve (in Solano County) provided by The Putah-Cache Bioregion Project
    “This trip, originally created for a UC Davis class, takes you from Davis to Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve, just below Lake Berryessa, and back again. It introduces the natural environment of the Vaca Mountains through a hike up a chaparral-lined canyon, and demonstrates the importance of natural processes, especially fires and floods, in shaping the landscape and in creating habitat for wildlife. It also shows a fairly typical California water project, to illustrate the positive and negative effects of such projects on fish and wildlife.”
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the University of California at Davis is located at 383225N, 1214453W, Davis.
Valdez (3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #99 in the past/today in the vicinity south of Linden Road and Jefferson Road According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Valdez was in the Clarksburg District.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Valdez on Courtland map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Valdez is located at 381934N, 1213644W, Courtland.
Vic Fazio Yolo Wildlife Area and Putah Creek Outflow  
Vin (3)(4) [INDEX] Road 117 today According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Vin was in the Washington District.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Vin on Taylor Monument map. (11)
Walker Canyon, Bob     (See Bob Walker Canyon.)
Washington (5) Between Hwys. 880 and 80 today along the Sacramento River opposite the City of Sacramento in Sacramento County (10) The townsite of Washington, today known as Broderick, was built on the northwest corner of the ranch owned by the widow of James McDowell, originally part of Rancho Nueva Flandria. Travelers to and from the gold fields passed through Washington. Yolo County seat 1815 - 1857 & 1861 - 1862. Washington was the site of the first Pacific Coast Salmon cannery, est. in spring 1864. In Jan. 1987, Broderick became part of the town of West Sacramento. (2) pg. 535
Washington District (4) Central eastern part of Yolo County According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Washington District included: Fremont, Haviland, Vin, Marty, Fourness, Lovdal (Riverbank), Bryte, Broderick, Jefferson, and Riverview.
Washington Lake (5)(6) State Hwy. #99/Jefferson Road today

Today Washington Lake is called Lake Washington.

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Lake Washington is located at 383322N, 1213244W, Sacramento West.

Webster (3)(4)(5)(7) North of Interstate 80 and Road 32A today east of Davis (7) According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Webster was in the Putah District.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Webster on Davis map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Webster is located at 383344N, 1213915W, Davis.
West Grafton (6)   On the 1871 Yolo Co. map, Prairie is listed as the post office located at West Grafton.
West Sacramento (1)(7) East central portion of Yolo County; Sacramento River West Sacramento was developed in late 1919/early 1920s. According to "Yolo County: Land of Changing Patterns," the river scenes for the movies Tom Sawyer, Show Boat, and Steamboat 'Round the Bend, were filmed on the west bank of the Sacramento River.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. West Sacramento on Sacramento West map. (11)
  • West Sacramento
  • West Sacramento Chamber of Commerce
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, West Sacramento is located at 383450N, 1213145W, Sacramento West.
Weyand's Corners (1) Weyand's Corners was the site of the Prairie post office  
Wild Cat Creek (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Wild Cat Creek is located at 385304N, 1220428W, Wildwood School.
Wild Cow Mountain (7) Southwestern corner of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Wild Cow Mountain is located at 383507N, 1220639W, Monticello Dam.
Wild Irishman Bend (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County; Sacramento River According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Wild Irishman Bend is located in Sutter County 384558N, 1214121W, Knights Landing.
Willow Point (4) South River Road/E-9 OR State Hwy. #99/Jefferson Road ???
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Willow Point on Clarksburg map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Willow Point is located at 382644N, 1213500W, Clarksburg.
Willow Slough (1)(3)(7) About 4 miles north of Putah Creek; southern portion of Yolo County Willow Slough first appear in 1870, according to "The Western Shore Gazetteer" ".about nine miles southwest from Woodland, rising from a large spring, or pond, whose waters cover an area of perhaps one-fourth acres.." It eventually disperses its waters near Merritt's Bridge in the tule marshes in 1870.

  • Putah - Cache Circumdrive article on Willow Slough provided by The Putah-Cache Bioregion Project
  • Map to Willow Slough Area (Click on #21 for further information)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Willow Slough is located at 383848N, 1213956W, Grays Bend.
Willow Slough Bypass  

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Willow Slough Bypass is located at 383522N, 1214150W, Davis.

Willow Slough, North Fork (7) South central portion of Yolo County  
Willow Slough, South Fork (7) Southwestern corner of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Willow Slough South Fork is located at 383813N, 1215125W, Woodland.
Willow Spring Creek (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County; south of Zamora According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Willow Spring Creek is located at 384722N, 1215340W, Zamora.
Willow Springs   An informant believes that Willow Spring is just outside Woodland.
Windy Point (7) Southwestern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Windy Point is located at 383839N, 1220933W, Brooks.
Winters (2)(4)(7) Road 89 today and off of Interstate 5; south central part of Yolo County near the Yolo County - Solano County border Winters was originally a part of the Rancho Rio de los Putos. Winters was developed by the Vaca Valley Railroad in 1875 and named for landowner Theodore Winters. .(2) pg. 537 According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Winters was in the Winters District.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Winters on Winters map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Winters is located at 383130N, 1215811W, Winters.
  • City of Winters
  • Map of Winters
  • Winters Chamber of Commerce - The Chamber web site includes a section entitled, "Historic Winters" that includes history, photographs, and self-guided tour brochures of Winters.
  • Winters History – "Historic Winters," presented by the Winters Express. (This section of the Winters Express online edition presents articles about the history of Winters.)
  • Winters Opera House
  • The De Vilbiss Hotel (now the Buckhorn)
  • The De Vilbiss Hotel (now the Buckhorn)
  • Putah - Cache Circudrive (Putah Creek, Davis to Lake Beryessa) provided by The Putah-Cache Bioregion Project
  • Map (Click on #3 for further information)
Winters Canal (7) South of Capay and Esparto in north/south direction According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Winters Canal is located at 383750N, 1215946W, Madison.
Winters District (4) Southwestern portion of Yolo County According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Winters District included: Winters and Norton.
Wolfskill Ford (1)(2) Below the present town of Winters (2) pg. 537 Wolfskill Ford was also known as the Old Wolfskill Ford Road (1)
Wood Canyon (7) Northeastern portion of Yolo County According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Wood Canyon is located at 385145N, 1220458W, Bird Valley.
Woodland (2)(3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #7 in the past / Interstate 5 today

City Clerk
300 First Street
Woodland, CA 95695
(530) 661-5800
Woodland was known as Yolo City in 1853, and a few years later the name was changed to Woodland. [Woodland was also known as By Hell.(11)] The town was laid out in 1860. Woodland became the county seat in 1862. In 1870 Woodland was in the Cache Creek Township. In 1920 Woodland was in the Woodland District, according to the 1920 Yolo County map.
Woodland Agricultural Ditch (3) On Cache Creek The Woodland Agricultural Ditch was also known as Moore's Ditch.
Woodland District (4) Central Yolo County According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, the Woodland District included: Garic, Hebron, Conaway, Woodland, Mullen, and Merritt.
Wyckoff (5) * [INDEX] State Hwy. #7 in the past/ Interstate 5 today
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Wycoff on Zamora map. (11)
Yolo (3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #7 in the past/ along Interstate 5 today north of Woodland (7) After 1849 Thomas Cochran built a hotel on the future site of the town of Yolo, which provided accommodations for people traveling along the west side of the Sacramento River, it became known as Cockran's Crossing(Cockranes Crossing). Next James A. Hutton built another hotel and the name changed to Hutton's Ranch or Travelers' Home. (At 325 Main St. in Yolo, you can see the old Hutton house today.) In 1857 Hutton's Ranch was renamed Cacheville and became the Yolo County seat in 1857. ".Cacheville grew rapidly for a few years, but was outstripped by the more promising Yolo City, later known as Woodland, a few miles to the south.." (2) pg. 535 According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Yolo was in the Cacheville District.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Yolo on Woodland map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Yolo is located at 384355N, 1214824W, Woodland.
  • Carnegie Library in the town of Yolo (includes Yolo town history - check the "Listings" section)
Yolo Bypass (2) I-80 crosses the Yolo Bypass on the 3-mile-long Yolo Causeway The Yolo Bypass began construction in 1911. Today it extends from Shasta Dam to Rio Vista. (2) pg. 538
Yolo Causeway (2) I-80 crosses the Yolo Bypass When the Yolo Causeway was constructed in 1916. It was the first all year road across a wilderness of tules.
Yolo Central Canal (9) Between Winters and Madison  
Yolo City (2) South of Cache Creek located a few miles to the south of Cacheville, today known as the town of Yolo Known as Yolo City in 1853, and a few years later the name was changed to Woodland. A post office was established 1858 at Yolo City. In the April 1862 election the vote changed the county seat from the town of Washington to the town of Woodland, called Yolo City at that time.
Yolo County (2)
Yolo County Offices
625 Court Street
Woodland, CA 95695
(530) 666-8150
Yolo County was created in 1850, and it was one of the original twenty-seven counties.
Yolo County Parks  
Yolo Fliers Club and Golf Course  

According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, the Yolo Fliers Club and Golf Course is located at 384048N, 1215208W, Woodland.

Yolo House Grafton Township, Yolo County Yolo House was a hotel that was mentioned in an article about a jury impaneled on the 6th day of July, 1866, by James McClintock, Justice of the Peace, exofficio Coroner and acting in the absence of the Coroner “...inquiring into the cause of the death of a certain person found dead in the Yolo House, in Grafton township, Yolo county.” (J. W. Snowball was the foreman of the jury.)
Yolo Plankroad Turnpike (3) Built in 1855, the Yolo Plankroad Turnpike connected the Buckeye Road with the River Road by the Tule House, according to the 1870 "Western Shore Gazetteer" for 4 ½ miles.  
Yorktown (5)(7) [INDEX] State Hwy. #7 in the past/ along Interstate 5 today (7)  
Zamora (1)(3)(4)(7) State Hwy. #7 in the past/ Interstate 5 today Zamora was previously known as Black's. The plat for the town of Black's Station was filed in 1877. In 1906 the name was changed to Zamora. According to the 1920 Yolo Co. map, Zamora was in the Black's District.
  • USGS Geographical Names Info. re. Zamora on Zamora map. (11)
  • According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Zamora is located at 384748N, 1215251W, Zamora.
Zamora Creek (7) [INDEX] Northeastern portion of Yolo County near the town of Zamora According to the Peabody Museum GNIS Dataset Service, Zamora Creek is located at 384829N, 1215419W, Zamora.

Sources
(1) Yolo County: Land of Changing Patterns, An Illustrated History, By Joann L. Larkey and Shipley Walters, Windsor Publications, Inc., 1987.
(2) Historic Spots in California, by Mildred Booke Hoover, Hero Eugene Rensch, Ethel Grace Rensch, William N. Abeloe; Revised by Douglas E. Kyle, Stanford University Press, Stanford, California, 1990.
(3) "The Western Shore Gazetteer and Commercial Directory, For the State of California.Yolo County," C. P. Sprague & H. W. Atwell, Woodland, Yolo County, 1870, Reprinted by Higginson Book Company, Salem Massachusetts.
(4) List of Locales from the Yolo Co. Map circa 1920 on the Yolo Co. GenWeb page
(5) Yolo County Locales from the map on the wall of the Yolo County Archives (as of July 1999)
(6) Map of Yolo County, California, Compiled From Official and Recent Surveys By J. S. Henning, Surveyors & Civil Engineers, May, 1871, Britton & Rey, S.F., Note (on map) The original copy of this map was found on the Wyckoff Ranch Near Woodland.This print was made from the final tracing on August, 1961, W.R. Jones, Yolo County Engineer's Office. (You can obtain copies of this map at the Yolo County Archives.)
(7) Northern California Atlas and Gazetteer, DeLorme, Freeport, Maine, 1995.
(8) Rand McNally's Pioneer Atlas of the American West, Containing Facsimile Reproductions of Maps and Indexes from the 1876 First Edition of Rand, McNally & Co.'s Business Atlas of the Great Mississippi Valley and Pacific Slope. Rand McNally & Co., Chicago, New York, San Francisco, 1969, pgs. 19-24.
(9) Solano and Yolo Counties Map, California State Automobile Association, San Francisco, California.
(10) Ely's Station, Yolo County, California; Madison, Yolo County California, California Warehouse Book, San Pablo California, Dakin Publishing Co., California, 1897?, Vlad Shkurkin, 1983, pg. 39. (University of California, Berkeley, Earth Sciences, Microfiche 2089, no. 12, 3 maps on one page)
(11) United States Geological Survey Geographical Names, December 1999

 

[ TOP OF PAGE ]
yolmail.gif - 14.9 K Peggy B. and Patrick Perazzo
Horizontal Bar - 16.7 K
Copyright 1996- - All Rights Reserved.